Only 6% of Consumers Download Content on Consoles

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Dosnt surprise me - We have retailers for our purchases and we prefer to use them where we can

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
maybe people would download more if it wasn't a) balls out expensive b) oh so obviously cut out of the original product to be sold a la cart (10 bucks for shit that would have been in there 10 years ago as a selling point) c) shovelware and crap content.

I've personally bought 4-5 full games for the price on me skipping on buying 15 maps across cod4-mw2 15 maps shouldn't cost 50+ bucks

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Sorry, when they say "content" what exactly are they talking about? because:

Only 15% of consumers have used their PC or Mac to download content is impossible. You cant turn a PC on without downloading something.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
I get the feeling very few of you guys commenting actually read the full article...

I must admit that that 6% figure looks low, but when you consider that it's supposed to represent all US consumers, not just those who own a console, it makes a lot more sense. If you were to take a hundred random people and ask them if they'd downloaded something on a console, six people saying yes sounds about right.
After seeing this bit, I am completely unsurprised. Hell, I bet most of the people asked didn't even own a 360 or PS3. Now if they survey had been "% of console owners who download content" I'd bet somewhere in 50%+ area.

EDIT- oh, and I'm pretty sure he meant DLC (you know, map-packs, missions, weapons, blah, blah) when he said "content". That makes sense.

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
Grey_Focks said:
I get the feeling very few of you guys commenting actually read the full article...

I must admit that that 6% figure looks low, but when you consider that it's supposed to represent all US consumers, not just those who own a console, it makes a lot more sense. If you were to take a hundred random people and ask them if they'd downloaded something on a console, six people saying yes sounds about right.
After seeing this bit, I am completely unsurprised. Hell, I bet most of the people asked didn't even own a 360 or PS3. Now if they survey had been "% of console owners who download content" I'd bet somewhere in 50%+ area.

EDIT- oh, and I'm pretty sure he meant DLC (you know, map-packs, missions, weapons, blah, blah) when he said "content". That makes sense.
I was about to say the same thing. The real question here is why they included such a misleading statistic!

Also, as Sony and M$ make a grab for more of the casual market with the new motion controllers, there are going to be more console owners that know less about the interface and thus probably more console owners not downloading content. So the "real" statistic about percentage of console owners that download could decrease in the next few months, for what that's worth.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
but.. it's just so damn easy!

Hmm... Whatev's. Something's going wrong. maybe it's because the user of the console(8-17 year old) doesn't have a credit card?

Oh... its' the entirety of the consumer base of the US... well... argument just shifts to saying it's actually a pretty high number. I would guess around 4 if anything.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
I was just about to say how those numbers don't seem to be "too" correct considering how often DLC for video games is downloaded for our favorite games. But than I came up with a kind of 3rd person view of this.

It'll try to explain it abit cause it makes sense in my head right now, but may not when I type this. When you consider how much memory space an average PS3, Xbox 360, and even a Wii contain, it is not alot. On the average number of console owners we have less than 80GB depending on how much you spent for memory. It may not see like alot, but when you have a LARGE library of games, that can be brought down to 40GB fairly quickly and easily. Than add in the possibility of how much memory space demo's take, DLC, music and movies and than you actually feel like conserving your memory space somewhat.

My little brother has a 60GB 360. With only 2 games installed, at least 15 games in our library, a demo or 2, Indie/downloadable games and lots of DLC downloaded for different games, we are now sitting at 16GB of free space. At this point I am thinking more of "Only getting games worthwhile because I don't want to waste memory space."

To me not downloading often has more to do with conserving memory than wondering if the price is worth the fun.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Therumancer said:
Ironically they don't seem to consider the option that maybe people just aren't into the idea of everything going digital like the industry is. Really when you ask the "how does it benefit us" question, the handfull of benefits that can be mentioned are outweighed by not actually owning anything, not even a disc with the information. Add DRM to the equasion on a lot of that content... and well..
Precisely what I am thinking. Physical ownership means a lot to people, particularly for things that they truly enjoy and want to support. Many consumers still insist on purchasing CDs for some music (myself included), and it is highly unlikely that movie libraries are going to cave to on-demand. However, those are instances where downloadable content can still mingle with physical ownership. Games, for specifically consoles, often take it up a notch with high, static pricing, questionable back-ups, a highly restrictive nature and DRM.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
because everything online is so f*cking expensive

physically buying the DVD is the most secure way of knowing you own something, and all the DLC costs so much it's just not worth it

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
I can believe it. I barely ever download DLC. I've downloaded one full game from the PSN and only a handful of addons, such as Makoto in Blazblue.

I'm not a big fan of DLC as a short, separate story mode. I'd rather it be a real integrated feature (like Makoto, a new character usable in most modes). Things like Red Dead Redemption DLC don't appeal to me in the slightest.

goldenheart323

Oct 9, 2009
I avoid DLC because of DRM,
because I can't loan it to a friend,
take it to a friend w/o internet, (Hey, times are tough. Some can't afford internet now.)
or sell it.

Those are huge reasons for me to really not like DLC. I don't see DLC EVER being convenient enough for me to bother unless it's dirt cheap (like $5) or amazingly fun AND unavailable in any other form. I bought a 2nd 360, & learned the hard way transferring the licenses for my 2 XBLA games is a MASSIVE hassle, (nearly impossible,) just because I don't have a router!

I have to be signed in on my XBL account on both my 360 & a PC simultaneously. I have to give a friend all my log in info so he can log me in on his PC while I'm at home logged in on my 360. Then, he has to go through the xfer steps for me. I've had my new 360 for a couple months now, & I haven't bothered to do that yet. I keep forgetting. I only play late at night, & that's when I get reminded of it. I live alone, & the only time I take my 360 online is to get a demo, so I have zero use for a router, except to make MS happy.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
I figured it was around there.

I'm glad too because the idea of games becoming exclusively digital and downloadable only sickens me.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
*opens up frostwire*
*searches for [pop song]*

Can't really say that figure is accurate, yo.

"All consumers" is an utterly worthless figure. The only commodity grouping bought by even close to 100% of consumers is food.

This really just sounds like the various industries attempting to further their mutual goal of completely redefining the word "download" as "shit you pay for."

I say fight back. DLC now stands for digitally licensed crap.

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
This has got to be a practical joke, I download lots of stuff off of Xbox Live Marketplace. I mean DLC's and whatnot, not actual movies or that stuff.

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
Or you know, it might just be because people would like something tangible that they know you can't take away from them at any given time....

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Wolfram01 said:
These numbers definitely aren't telling the whole story!

Firstly, ok consoles... well, the download content sucks, frankly. I have a PS3, and I have downloaded 2 games for it and they were both very mediocre. Otherwise I've downloaded some demos and that's it. If I want a full, good, game I need the BluRay.

PC, ok so 15% of PC and Mac users have downloaded content. This is an extremely skewed result. If you solely look at GAMER computers, it's probably more like 80%. If you include Workstations... well, why would a workstation download stuff? Do they include Adobe Reader updates as downloads?

As for smartphones... I'm sorry but no. Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY who has an iPhone has downloaded at least 1 app. Bam, that's a HUGE market share.

These results can't be right.
No one reads. This is out of ALL consumers. Including those that don't even have consoles, computers or phones.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
I'm not a fan of downloading content on my consoles but unfortuantely some games only get released via this method like Blade Kitten and Shadow Complex. I really want made to order complilation discs to be made by the game companies and have it ordered through their services or websites with a click and drag system like when burning a disc. If they did this I'd be a happier gamer.