Ooooh dear, a black actress is playing Live Action Ariel in the Little Mermaid movie.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,924
0
0
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/the-little-mermaid-remake-controversy

This right here....this is the equivalent of making Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne black. I mean heck they already turned Jimmy Olsen from a nerdy ginger to a black Adonis in the CW Supergirl show.

This is gonna be Ghostbusters 2016/The Last Jedi level of controversy all over again. I can already see the reaction, ranting, and "political analysis" youtube videos in my head already.

At this point. I am almost convinced that Hollywood is doing this on purpose because apparently Attention = Money these days.
 

Baffle

Elite Member
Apr 6, 2020
1,763
647
118
Yeah, losers have been going nuts over this for a couple of days.
 

Dreiko_v1legacy

New member
Aug 28, 2008
4,696
0
0
These fairy tales are always being reimagined and reinterpreted so this is not the same sort of issue with having an established character who always was white and hasn't had been reinterpreted by a dozen different writers a bunch of times suddenly turning black.

I'm more concerned with the fact that they seemingly gave the role to a 19 year old with no prior films in her resume. Who knows, maybe she'll be the next big star and is really talented. I'm apprehensive but keeping an open mind.

Oh and I hope she does actually melt into foam properly in the end.
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,924
0
0
Dreiko said:
These fairy tales are always being reimagined and reinterpreted so this is not the same sort of issue with having an established character who always was white and hasn't had been reinterpreted by a dozen different writers a bunch of times suddenly turning black.

I'm more concerned with the fact that they seemingly gave the role to a 19 year old with no prior films in her resume. Who knows, maybe she'll be the next big star and is really talented. I'm apprehensive but keeping an open mind.

Oh and I hope she does actually melt into foam properly in the end.
To me its less the fairy tale as is and more the Disney icon brand.

This is not Hans Christian Andersen's Little Mermaid being adapted. This is Disney's Little Mermaid being adapted.

And Disney's Ariel has long since be ascended to ICON status as in this image of Ariel:



Is pretty much iconic to culture at this point. Having a Black Actress be this Ariel is the equivalent of making Jesus an African man.
 

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
2,728
0
0
Halle Bailey will be a beautiful Mermaid! She has the eyes, smile, voice and energy to make a great Ariel. Ariel was one of my favorite characters when I was little and I had an Ariel doll I used to play in the bathtub with. Halle looks like she was born to be a mermaid.



She was born for this.

She was one of my childhood favorites and I think she will be amazing in the role.
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,924
0
0
Lil devils x said:
Halle Bailey will be a beautiful Mermaid! She has the eyes, smile, voice and energy to make a great Ariel. Ariel was one of my favorite characters when I was little and I had an Ariel doll I used to play in the bathtub with. Halle looks like she was born to be a mermaid.


She was one of my childhood favorites and I think she will be amazing in the role.
I never heard of her so she is new to me.

I take it she was in one of those live action sitcoms in the Disney Channel?
 

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
2,728
0
0
Samtemdo8 said:
Is pretty much iconic to culture at this point. Having a Black Actress be this Ariel is the equivalent of making Jesus an African man.
I actually still have my childhood Ariel toys, and I think Halle is perfect for the role. The energy she emits and her presence screams what it means to be Ariel.
 

Baffle

Elite Member
Apr 6, 2020
1,763
647
118
Samtemdo8 said:
I never heard of her so she is new to me.
Neither had all the people who are congratulating Halle Berry, who is 52, on getting the role.
 

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
161
2
23
Country
United Kingdom
Gender
Male
I wanna know how a species that lives in the sea evolved to have melanin tinted skin.
 

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Moderator
Legacy
Mar 26, 2020
7,129
69
53
Country
🇬🇧
Gender
♂
It may have been partly to preempt potential criticism over the rasta crab.

Samtemdo8 said:
Is pretty much iconic to culture at this point. Having a Black Actress be this Ariel is the equivalent of making Jesus an African man.
Black Jesus is a thing:



Makes about as much sense as blonde, blue-eyed Jesus.
 

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
2,728
0
0
Samtemdo8 said:
Lil devils x said:
Halle Bailey will be a beautiful Mermaid! She has the eyes, smile, voice and energy to make a great Ariel. Ariel was one of my favorite characters when I was little and I had an Ariel doll I used to play in the bathtub with. Halle looks like she was born to be a mermaid.


She was one of my childhood favorites and I think she will be amazing in the role.
I never heard of her so she is new to me.

I take it she was in one of those live action sitcoms in the Disney Channel?
She is a professional singer, has been on television numerous times, sang America the Beautiful at the Superbowl.
 

Dreiko_v1legacy

New member
Aug 28, 2008
4,696
0
0
Being a good singer isn't really relevant to acting unless they'll do the little mermaid like Les Miserables and the entire movie will be sung.


Come to think of it, that'd be a fun movie now haha.


But yeah the only song I really liked from that one was Sebastian's. Unda da seee~
 

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
2,728
0
0
warmachine said:
I wanna know how a species that lives in the sea evolved to have melanin tinted skin.
I would have thought it be weirder for how a half human half fish that sprouts legs when on land and fishtail in the water to have evolved. Considering all humans have melanin, just those with albinism have much less of it than others, I would think the fact that the creature is half human half fish that would be the odd part.
 

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
2,728
0
0
Dreiko said:
Being a good singer isn't really relevant to acting unless they'll do the little mermaid like Les Miserables and the entire movie will be sung.


Come to think of it, that'd be a fun movie now haha.


But yeah the only song I really liked from that one was Sebastian's. Unda da seee~
This is a musical. Have you not watched the cartoon little mermaid? Besides, if you've listened to this girl speak, she doesn't need to act to even be Ariel, just be herself and she's perfect.
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
17,004
982
118
Samtemdo8 said:
At this point. I am almost convinced that Hollywood is doing this on purpose because apparently Attention = Money these days.
Honestly, you're probably not wrong. They'll look progressive and like they're fighting for equality, while at the same time stoking the fire under the morons on YouTube who'll complain about "SJW's" all the while keeping the picture's name on the frontpage.
 

Dreiko_v1legacy

New member
Aug 28, 2008
4,696
0
0
Lil devils x said:
Dreiko said:
Being a good singer isn't really relevant to acting unless they'll do the little mermaid like Les Miserables and the entire movie will be sung.


Come to think of it, that'd be a fun movie now haha.


But yeah the only song I really liked from that one was Sebastian's. Unda da seee~
This is a musical. Have you not watched the cartoon little mermaid?
Yeah, just not a big fan of those parts in all of those movies. The little mermaid is up there on my favorites (top one is lady and the tramp) but I liked basically every part outside of the singing.
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,924
0
0
Casual Shinji said:
Samtemdo8 said:
At this point. I am almost convinced that Hollywood is doing this on purpose because apparently Attention = Money these days.
Honestly, you're probably not wrong. They'll look progressive and like they're fighting for equality, while at the same time stoking the fire under the morons on YouTube who'll complain about "SJW's" all the while keeping the picture's name on the frontpage.
Well you know these social experiments of giving a young black girl 2 Dolls, One Black Barbie and one White?

The Black Girl chose the White doll, "because she's white" the black girl says.

I think all this "blackwashing" of characters that were once white are done to address this social issue.

 

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,109
699
118
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
Samtemdo8 said:
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/the-little-mermaid-remake-controversy

This right here....this is the equivalent of making Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne black. I mean heck they already turned Jimmy Olsen from a nerdy ginger to a black Adonis in the CW Supergirl show.
Um, no. It isn't. None of those things are equivalent.

Of Clark, Jimmy, and Bruce, Bruce is the only one whose ethnicity is arguably relevant, in that if the Waynes are an established family in the US, being anything other than white would be...difficult (Movie Bob's explained it better). But there's no reason why any of the others have to be any given ethnicity. I will admit that a non-white Supes would be hard for me (at least in as much that it's hard to imagine him any other way at this point), but the others? No problem.

But Ariel's skin tone is still different from them - the only rationale you could cite is that the original story is Danish, and Hans Christian Anderson probably had an image of Ariel in mind when he wrote it. However, like all Disney live-action remakes, it isn't going to be some new take on the original work, it's going to be a remake of Disney's own film.

Oh, and for all the people saying that mermaids are "scientifically" white, first of all, eff off, second of all:

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Gabriella

Yes, I'm pissed at Disney, but the fact that this is another live-action remake of a film that never needed one pisses me off more.

warmachine said:
I wanna know how a species that lives in the sea evolved to have melanin tinted skin.
I dunno. I'm more interested how mermaids reproduce. Like, do they lay eggs and males fertilize them, or...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wnsiXzerAg

Yes, this is why real-world science isn't applied to mermaids, thanks for asking.
 

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
2,728
0
0
Dreiko said:
Lil devils x said:
Dreiko said:
Being a good singer isn't really relevant to acting unless they'll do the little mermaid like Les Miserables and the entire movie will be sung.


Come to think of it, that'd be a fun movie now haha.


But yeah the only song I really liked from that one was Sebastian's. Unda da seee~
This is a musical. Have you not watched the cartoon little mermaid?
Yeah, just not a big fan of those parts in all of those movies. The little mermaid is up there on my favorites (top one is lady and the tramp) but I liked basically every part outside of the singing.
I literally have a mermaid costume due to Disney's Little Mermaid movie from when I was a kid. LOL