Ooooh dear, a black actress is playing Live Action Ariel in the Little Mermaid movie.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Satinavian said:
ObsidianJones said:
Umm. Yeah, that's actually a perception.
Yes, it is a perception. And i am aware of the fact that there are several factors that might skew my perception like :
- Not living in the US with its neverending race related problems
- Not taking part in any white supremist forums/meet-ups etc. and thus rarely encountering their nonsense.
- Being part of fandoms of stuff i like and thus regularly being exposed to the "not true to the source" crowd (which i sometimes even take part in)

But be that as it may, i still have no reason to assume that my perception is giving the wrong picture here. Sure, actual would be nice but to get them you would have to track a representative sample of complainers over several controversities to find out if their behavior is different for white->non white and non white->white changes. I am not aware that this ever has been attampted because it is difficult.

Meanwhile, I'm addressing a certain group of people. My focus is on that. I understand the source material people. And I didn't mention them because that isn't an arguable act. Trying to convince people that a segment of the population will be harmed because a character is race swapped is.
Ok, if that is the case, then go ahead. Not sure whot kind of discussion can be had about that though, because that is also not particularly aguable, at least for me. I mean, i could complain that international entertainment is ridiculously US-centric to the point american culture bleeds into other cultures everywhere, but i can't really blame Hollywood for being successful and valueing their home-market.

And to quickly answer your nitpicking.

The first game was based on ancient Persia. I invite you to look at the Front [https://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/l/187798-prince-of-persia-atari-st-front-cover.jpg] and Back [https://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/l/313705-prince-of-persia-apple-ii-back-cover.jpg] cover art of the game and think about maybe it was a graphical choice made based on the limit palette they had to deal with back in the 1989's.
"Ancient Persia" was full of white people. The box art also depicts white people. And if you had a device with some more colors (it was released as multiplatform), it looked like this (yes, that is still the original, not the SNES remastered version ):

Khan was apart of a Eugenics program that featured Selective Breeding and Genetic Augmentations. I've never seen splicing. He's specifically from Northern India. It was in the script [http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/24.htm], by the way.
Not sure how augmentation is suppossed to work without splicing but even if we treat him as pure northern Indian descent, this does still not make him actually non-white.
The way they define " white" here, they do not consider Persian, Indian or Arabic people to be white. They also do not consider people from Mediterranean or some French to be white, so yea there is definitely a difference in perception. They do not consider the people depicted on the box art or in the game clip you are showing here to be white. They have a pretty narrow definition of what they consider to be white here.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hawki said:
Even if an Asian lead had been, well, the lead, what would have actually changed? Not really anything as far as I can tell - no dialogue, no theme, no anything. And if you're really going down the route of "representation," congratulations, you'd have got someone headlining a lacklustre film where race/ethnicity is never relevant in plot, background, and ironically, the whitewashing arguably gives the movie slightly more oomph (though again, that's giving it too much credit).
Why does it need to be relevant to the plot or background? Why can't it just be because the character is japanese? And what that would change is that it would give the role some credibility, instead of Scarlet Johansson sticking out like a sore thumb as the obvious famous, and safe, white casting choice. There doesn't need to be a plot or thematic reason for a character to not be white. And in this case it doesn't have anything to do with the plot or themes either, but with the simple fact that a rather iconic japanese character got represented by a white american. As underrepresented as asian actors already are in Hollywood, a clearly japanese character -- a chance to finally maybe have an asian actor take a bit of the spotlight and make a name for themselves.. is played by a white actor. Even if the movie sucks, it's still a chance for actors other than the usual white people to leave their mark. And this rare clear advantage that an asian actor would have over a white actor to play the lead is again ignored in favor of the status quo.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Casual Shinji said:
Why does it need to be relevant to the plot or background? Why can't it just be because the character is japanese?
If you want to apply the logic of "character was X in the source material, so keep them as X," fine, but at least keep the rationale consistent.

And what that would change is that it would give the role some credibility, instead of Scarlet Johansson sticking out like a sore thumb as the obvious famous, and safe, white casting choice. There doesn't need to be a plot or thematic reason for a character to not be white. And in this case it doesn't have anything to do with the plot or themes either, but with the simple fact that a rather iconic japanese character got represented by a white american. As underrepresented as asian actors already are in Hollywood, a clearly japanese character -- a chance to finally maybe have an asian actor take a bit of the spotlight and make a name for themselves.. is played by a white actor. Even if the movie sucks, it's still a chance for actors other than the usual white people to leave their mark. And this rare clear advantage that an asian actor would have over a white actor to play the lead is again ignored in favor of the status quo.
From The Hollywood Reporter:

In 2017, 70.7 percent of the 4,454 speaking characters were white, 12.1 percent were black, 6.2 percent were Hispanic, 4.8 percent were Asian, 3.9 percent were mixed-race, 1.7 percent were of Middle Eastern descent and less than 1 percent each were coded as Native American or Native Hawaiian.

Those are the most recent statistics I got. As of the 2010 census, 4.8% of the US population is Asian. Even if we assume that percentage has gone up, is that really going to count as being "grossly under-represented? when as of 8 years ago, the percentage was in sync with the population figure? That's not even going into how many ways you can sub-divide "Asian" or really anything else by country of origin. Or gender, or sexuality, or everything else. And that's if we're including just the population of the US. If we factor in world population, then things get even more complicated.

Whole problem with "representation" is that it can be sub-divided ad infinitum. So when people complain about "forced diversity," that's an eyeroll, but at times, the other side rings true. And what's irritating in this particular case is that it's giving GitS more attention than it deserves, and that I don't believe for a moment that anyone in Hollywood really cares about it if not for how there's money to be made in catering to as wide a base as possible.

Caramel Frappe

Legacy
Dec 10, 2010
California
Country
United States
Casual Shinji said:
Caramel Frappe said:
I'm not even remotely upset that a black actress got the role of the Little Mermaid, i'm more vividly disappointed in the fact they're making a live action version when the original cartoon one is perfect.
There's nothing wrong with remaking it, even if it is live-action. I'd totally be up for a Little Mermaid remake that actually remains faithfull to the fairy tale and that creates some new interesting visuals. But we all know Disney is doing this just to sell us the same movie again.

I'm interested to see where they're gonna go once the renaissance well is tapped out -- Are they gonna do a live-action remake of Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet? Or are they going to jump right to Frozen?
I'm always down for a remake- if their heart is in the right place when making these. But Disney is honestly riding the live-action band wagon, knowing full well regardless of how the movie is, people will see it for nostalgic reasons.

I mean, they're releasing 4 live action movies ... within the same year. That doesn't sound very, good to me. One or even two would suffice, giving enough space in between for people to appreciate the remakes more but, 4 of them? Just cries cash grab to me.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I would like to see a live action atlantis or treasure planet, but those movies didnt make enough money for disney.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hawki said:
Casual Shinji said:
Why does it need to be relevant to the plot or background? Why can't it just be because the character is japanese?
If you want to apply the logic of "character was X in the source material, so keep them as X," fine, but at least keep the rationale consistent.
I like to view that on a case-by-case basis. See, if they decided to just transport GitS over to America and remake it with american characters, I'd have no real problem with them making Kusanagi (or whatever her name would be) white (though it would still serve them to diversify). But they didn't, and in this case it bugged me.

From The Hollywood Reporter:

In 2017, 70.7 percent of the 4,454 speaking characters were white, 12.1 percent were black, 6.2 percent were Hispanic, 4.8 percent were Asian, 3.9 percent were mixed-race, 1.7 percent were of Middle Eastern descent and less than 1 percent each were coded as Native American or Native Hawaiian.

Those are the most recent statistics I got. As of the 2010 census, 4.8% of the US population is Asian. Even if we assume that percentage has gone up, is that really going to count as being "grossly under-represented? when as of 8 years ago, the percentage was in sync with the population figure? That's not even going into how many ways you can sub-divide "Asian" or really anything else by country of origin. Or gender, or sexuality, or everything else. And that's if we're including just the population of the US. If we factor in world population, then things get even more complicated.
If we're purely speaking representing the percentage of asian people in America it's still extremely underrepresented. That would mean at least 4.8% of, let's say a 1000, movies in America feature asian leads. And while I don't have the numbers I find that highly unlikely. Not that it would need to be upheld this strict, but if it's in sync with how the population is structured this should naturally be the case.

And then there's just the simple question of it being healthy for people to be exposed to things they aren't familiar with, but are definitely part of society, no matter how small it may be.

Whole problem with "representation" is that it can be sub-divided ad infinitum. So when people complain about "forced diversity," that's an eyeroll, but at times, the other side rings true. And what's irritating in this particular case is that it's giving GitS more attention than it deserves, and that I don't believe for a moment that anyone in Hollywood really cares about it if not for how there's money to be made in catering to as wide a base as possible.
GitS being undeserving of attention doesn't mean real world issues surrounding the movie aren't deserving of attention.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Marik2 said:
I would like to see a live action atlantis or treasure planet,
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/treasure-planet-liveaction-remake-works-disney/?utm_source=vuukle&utm_medium=talk_of_town

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Hawki said:
Marik2 said:
I would like to see a live action atlantis or treasure planet,
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/treasure-planet-liveaction-remake-works-disney/?utm_source=vuukle&utm_medium=talk_of_town
heres hoping it would look cool like the cartoon. i liked all the space pirate ships and the black hole scene.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Casual Shinji said:
Hawki said:
Casual Shinji said:
Are they gonna do a live-action remake of Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet?
Oh my god, I was fucking joking. Why the hell would they even bother, that movie was a complete box office flop.
Maybe because people keep complaining that the other remakes are "soulless cash grabs" so they wanted to prove them wrong.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Agent_Z said:
Casual Shinji said:
Hawki said:
Casual Shinji said:
Are they gonna do a live-action remake of Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet?
Oh my god, I was fucking joking. Why the hell would they even bother, that movie was a complete box office flop.
Maybe because people keep complaining that the other remakes are "soulless cash grabs" so they wanted to prove them wrong.
If I was planning to do a remake, I'd probably pick a property that doesn't have a whole heap of baggage tied to it. All this Disney only picking it's good stuff when they could improve some of the bad and actually make a difference

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Casual Shinji said:
I like to view that on a case-by-case basis. See, if they decided to just transport GitS over to America and remake it with american characters, I'd have no real problem with them making Kusanagi (or whatever her name would be) white (though it would still serve them to diversify). But they didn't, and in this case it bugged me.
Wait, so, transporting the setting to the US is a non-issue, but giving the character a white android body is?

Um, okay. But if that happened, I can only imagine that the controversy would just be that much more controversial.

If we're purely speaking representing the percentage of asian people in America it's still extremely underrepresented.
4.8% representation for 4.8% representation of the populace. How is that "extremely underrepresented?" Even with the current estimate of 5.6%, we're talking less than 1% of difference between on-screen presence and real-world presence.

And then there's just the simple question of it being healthy for people to be exposed to things they aren't familiar with, but are definitely part of society, no matter how small it may be.
I pity anyone for whom watching a lead that doesn't correspond to their ethnicity is a "thing they aren't familiar with."

If people want to broaden their horizons in film, there's plenty of ways to do it, whether it be 'arthouse' films or films made outside their country/culture. If we're keeping with the question of Asian leads, there's a world of difference between something like Crazy Rich Asians and, say, Hero. "Broadening horizons" based solely on skin colour is a very low bar to clear.

GitS[/i] being undeserving of attention doesn't mean real world issues surrounding the movie aren't deserving of attention.
Even in the scope of real-world issues, who plays whom based on ethnicity is pretty low regardless.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hawki said:
Casual Shinji said:
Wait, so, transporting the setting to the US is a non-issue, but giving the character a white android body is?

Um, okay. But if that happened, I can only imagine that the controversy would just be that much more controversial.
It wasn't a controversy for The Departed. If they had remade Infernal Affairs in Hong Kong, the main character(s) still having the same asian name, but cast as white people.. that would be a bit silly. Just as it is with GtiS.

If we're purely speaking representing the percentage of asian people in America it's still extremely underrepresented.
4.8% representation for 4.8% representation of the populace. How is that "extremely underrepresented?" Even with the current estimate of 5.6%, we're talking less than 1% of difference between on-screen presence and real-world presence.
That's not what I said. I said that if 4.8% of the population is asian and if this is properly represented in movies, then 4.8% of most american movies should star (not just a speaking role) an asian actor. And is this the case? Because I can't think of too many Hollywood movies that have an asian lead. Well, GitS could've been one, but you know..

I pity anyone for whom watching a lead that doesn't correspond to their ethnicity is a "thing they aren't familiar with."

If people want to broaden their horizons in film, there's plenty of ways to do it, whether it be 'arthouse' films or films made outside their country/culture. If we're keeping with the question of Asian leads, there's a world of difference between something like Crazy Rich Asians and, say, Hero. "Broadening horizons" based solely on skin colour is a very low bar to clear.
And yet that bar is still very much there in Hollywood.

GitS[/i] being undeserving of attention doesn't mean real world issues surrounding the movie aren't deserving of attention.
Even in the scope of real-world issues, who plays whom based on ethnicity is pretty low regardless.
It's still part of a larger problem, and every little victory helps.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
ObsidianJones said:
What exactly did I overstate, really? I just told you my own experiences as a child. I thought I couldn't be a hero because I was black. I thought I couldn't survive because the black guy dies. To say I'm overstating my life experience is... baffling.
If that's what you felt at the time, that's tragic. But - to paraphrase what you said to me earlier - that's on you. The idea that there weren't any black superheroes or fictional role models in general, now or even 20 years ago, is false.

ObsidianJones said:
And you're right. There should be representation for both. For all. But when I hear 'spare a thought for people who were already well represented', I tend to side with the ones who didn't get that same representation. It's a character flaw, I'll admit.
I see the angle you're approaching this from and I'll give my response a bit later on.

ObsidianJones said:
This is what I'm responding to. I agree that equal representation is healty for any child to grow up. I know that. You know that. But the difference is that I know that a Black Ariel doesn't remove from white kids representation. Not only is there a ton of other things coming down the pipeline with people that will look just like them, once again, Black Ariel does not remove Red-Head Ariel from Canon.
Allow me a small "gotcha". If that's true, then it's equally true that Jewish Kusanagi and White Goku don't remove their original depictions from canon. People were still pissed though, weren't they?

ObsidianJones said:
You do know the 'White Man's Burden [http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5478/]' is from a Kipling Poem, right? It was used for a way to incite people to try to go along with Annexing the Phillipines. The White Man's Burden is to bring 'civilization' to those backwards enough not to have the inherent majesty of the White Man's Culture.

The Burden is 'Oh, how terrible is it to be so great and having to rid those backwards non-whites of their foolish ways'.

I'm sure you meant it in a different way, but you should know the origins of the terms you use.
Sure, I was using it in the sense of a White-specific Obligation or even White Guilt. You seem to have got my meaning at any rate.

ObsidianJones said:
And lastly, no need for unnecessary digs at Saelune. There's nothing remarkable about Saelune giving honest contributions. That's a regular thing.
It was a backhanded compliment to a poster that I usually disagree with so fundamentally that I sometimes wonder whether it's a deliberately provocative persona.

ObsidianJones said:
Minorities are still the puddle. White People are still the ocean in terms of representation and allocation of power. A few people wanted to add to the puddle for some reason and took a water can and poured it's contents into the Puddle. People who are for the ocean saw this and got enraged. They got fleets and fleets of water tankers, drained Lake Ontario and poured it into the Ocean... not realizing it's somewhat foolhardy as Lake Ontario is connected to the Ocean already.
OK, this is the philosophical basis for social justice that I completely disagree with. This idea that we make things fair by tallying up grievances and injustices on both sides and then attempt to either punish the more privileged side or give the aggrieved side some kind of reparations. I think that stinks because - quite aside from the fact that civilised society doesn't usually punish the son for the crimes of the father - it's such a broad strokes solution that the undeserving benefit and the innocent are punished. Not just occasionally, but routinely. Positive discrimination, quota systems, gender or race-specific education grants, "progressive" gender or race-swapping.

Then you have the school of thought that says two wrongs don't make a right, and what's more it's the principle that matters. Stealing a hundred dollars from a rich man is still a crime even if he can handle the loss better than a poor man. Dumping a barrel of toxic waste in the Pacific is still bad, even if dumping the same barrel of waste in your swimming pool would be worse to you. And, putting arguments of scale to bed for a minute, injustice is still injustice. Discrimination is still discrimination. Just because we have nice politically hot words to describe injustice in one direction - whitewashing! Blackface! Misogyny! Colonialism! - doesn't imply that the same act in the other direction is just or benign. When I make this point I usually get plenty of comments along the lines of "Boo hoo, male tears" or "Oh no, it must be terrible to be white in the West" but very few people able to point out where the error lies in my reasoning. Ultimately, all I'm advocating is a level playing field and the rules applied fairly.

The first, "corrective" version of social justice can never succeed, in my opinion. Firstly because some historical injustices are so great they can never be repaid in a simplistic, transactional way. How do we repay the debt for slavery, for example? 300 years of white slaves and black slave owners, maybe; whose conscience would that satisfy? Reparations, maybe? Who pays? All white people? What, even those who arrived in America after abolition? Secondly - you don't heal division by actively perpetuating that division, even in what is apparently a well-intentioned or progressive manner. Pragmatically, because people get naturally suspicious when they know the dice are loaded. Positive discrimination both denies minorities the ability to be judged on their own merits and fosters a bigotry of lowered expectations.

It's especially damaging when one group is made to feel another group is benefiting at their expense. How do you think Asian students feel when they have to outperform Latino and Black applicants to get on the same courses, and what do you think that does for sentiments of equality? Back to Ariel; how convincing is the explanation that "black viewers just need the character more than white viewers do"?

ObsidianJones said:
With that comment about Trump, it's feeling like you're leaning towards reaction. That doesn't help. I once called myself a Black Militant back during the days of the Movie 'X'. I grew up in the ghetto. I saw the injustice and what people do when they have no other options. I wanted to speak out. I wanted to fight. People needed to know.

And they still do. You know what the problem is? People stopped listening after 'Black Militant'. Anyone who's reading this has an idea of what that term means, and tuned their attention accordingly. That's what happens when you have strong feelings and you reach for a strong reaction. The reaction might feel comfortable to house your strong feelings, but it doesn't mean it's the right action to take to effect change. We're feeling that with Trump.

As hard as it might be believed, I don't want anyone eroded. No culture, No Gender, no creed, no religion, no lack of religion. I don't want anything to happen to white people. This world would be lessened if that would to happen. As it would be for any race. Reaction is just to make other people's sorry for their actions, or to make one feel better about what they believed happen to them.

If we want change, we can't go out and try to hurt others. No matter how we perceive things. We have to always bring ourselves to the table, no matter how bruised and bloodied our egos are. And we need to talk. Without name calling, without hurt feelings, without trying to get back. We want to share this world. So we have to work for it with open hearts and minds. Some things we have to give. Because we simply can't share this world if we keep saying "But this is mine and no one else can have it".
Well, it sounds like we broadly want the same thing even if we disagree on the methodology. But to address some of your points here - don't worry, I'm not sliding toward extremism. I have my views but I think they're reasonable, if based in an egalitarian conservatism, and in fact it kind of alarms me when people read me saying things like "let's treat people equally" or "perhaps if you would find this shitty if done to you, don't do it to others" and conclude that I must be furiously dog-whistling out of both sides of my mouth - and my butt hole.

And just to really expound on the Trump thing, I've found that although both sides of the political spectrum simplify and demonise their opposition instead of attempting dialogue, this is especially prevalent on the Left (even in the mainstream) and has recently seen ENORMOUS real-world backlash in the examples of Trump 2016 and Brexit. Both were huge, narrative-destroying indications of the voting public's true sentiments, which the Left for years had been willfully deaf and blind to. It's one thing to have partisan leanings, we all do, but it's quite another thing to hold such a bad-faith opinion of your opponents and their motivations that you get caught with your pants down on polling day. On both sides of the Atlantic, liberals convinced themselves that only a fringe minority of unspeakable bigots would actually vote against them. They were wrong both times. Reasonable, intelligent, only just right-of-centre people have cause to oppose liberal policies, too. If we were to learn from recent history perhaps people would not be so quick to demonise their opponents and immediately ascribe the worst possible motivations to them. The right-on progressive denouncement of anybody brave enough to publicly say they preferred white Ariel suggests no such lessons have been learned.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
CrazyGirl17 said:
This guy says it best:

Also, do we really need politics in this topic?
Racist backlash against hiring a black woman for what they deem a "white job" IS political at it's core.

Sadly yes, due to the current racial tensions in politics, equal opportunity employment is still considered political at this point and not just what should be expected. When you have the president of the United States own staff members telling people he wants to start a race war, while Trump is out promoting racist BS, it pretty much creates a hostile race environment and you can expect an increased level of political racial outrage. Until we actually have racial equality, we will have people pissed about racial equality. When we actually do have racial equality, people will no longer be outraged about a fictional creature being played by a black woman.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
...how the fuck did black!Ariel end up getting into the reparations debate?

Lil devils x said:
When you have the president of the United States own staff members telling people he wants to start a race war,
Um, source?

Sad fact is I believe you, but I'm holding onto hope that despite being a racist POS who's dragging the whole world down with his own country, I'd like to hope Trump isn't THAT terrible a person. Maybe. Hopefully.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Hawki said:
...how the fuck did black!Ariel end up getting into the reparations debate?

Lil devils x said:
When you have the president of the United States own staff members telling people he wants to start a race war,
Um, source?

Sad fact is I believe you, but I'm holding onto hope that despite being a racist POS who's dragging the whole world down with his own country, I'd like to hope Trump isn't THAT terrible a person. Maybe. Hopefully.
Yea remember Trump's former aid he gushed about?
Here's what he said at September 2016 rally in Ohio (with emphases added): "Don't leave Omarosa ? she's a wonderful woman ? don't leave. She's a wonderful woman. She has done so much for me with the African American community, with communities generally. And she?s another one ? she is such a fine person, and nobody knows it. And I just blew her income for the next 20 years. You are amazing, okay, and I just want to thank you very much for everything you?ve done. She works so hard, she feels so strongly. Thank you. Omarosa. I mean I did help make her a star, in all fairness. I don?t feel ? I don?t feel so guilty. So thank you."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/08/13/almost-everything-trump-tweeted-about-omarosa-today-is-opposite-what-he-said-before/?utm_term=.cc4180e053a6

Omarosa: Trump Wants "A Race War"
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/omarosa-trump-race-war_n_5b798881e4b0a5b1febc37e5?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaHVmZnBvc3QuY29tL2VudGVydGFpbm1lbnQvdG9waWMvb21hcm9zYS1uZXdtYW4&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHwuAmp06Px2nrNIyVu92ZrS0ExrkuvPrCEjbykMqahdu_q-sRptihBoodvCwSUhvfCHsUZnqafUZO6sdblzg0oZr4U61xZacduV1dbRwv2VU_pMycRak3fQP3UYZff4hyog4FDQ4Pu_fNggUMp1peyww2A6CnxN4c5xK7_b8ewE

Trumps "best people" have said such great things about him after getting to know him haven't they? It isn't like she is the first though, he has a pile of them now.
For example:
https://centurylink.net/news/read/article/deadline-michael_cohen_claims_donald_trump_racist_would_not-rpenskemc/category/news
https://www.latimes.com/books/la-et-jc-art-of-the-deal-fiction-trump-tony-schwartz-20190510-story.html
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/12/07/rex-tillerson-first-interview-comments-about-trump-relationship-nr-vpx.cnn
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/11/us/politics/ivanka-trump-jared-kushner-book.html