Open Source Myst Online Finally Happens

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Open Source Myst Online Finally Happens

Myst Online's slow-motion move to open source finally appears to be getting somewhere, as the MOULA client engine and development tools are officially ready to go.

It was back in late 2008 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98141-Myst-Online-is-Online-Again] when Cyan Worlds first announced that Myst Online would be made open source. It had the appearance of a developer finally giving up on a long-troubled project that just never caught fire, but then in early 2010 Cyan jumped back into the fray with news that Myst Online: Uru Live was back once again as a free-to-play game running on an open source server. And now, more than a year after that, it's time for the next step.

"Today we are announcing that the sources for the MOULA client engine and development tools (CyanWorlds.com Engine) will be made available as open source. At the same time, MOSS, which is a MOULA server replacement (written by a'moaca' and cjkelly) will also be released. Both open source projects will be hosted on OpenUru.org [http://openuru.org/]," Myst co-creator Rand Miller wrote. "The goal of the open source CyanWorlds.com Engine and the MOSS server is to provide a 'playground' where new writers can learn their craft, and new maintainers can inspect it, and new cartographers can map it. The Cyan Worlds MOULA servers will continue to provide a (relatively) safe environment for the D'ni faithful to mingle and share."

Miller said that releasing the development tools as open source will allow new writers to create new books, which will hopefully be vetted by some kind of as-yet unestablished "maintainers guild" and then added to the server to once again open up new worlds for players to explore. But he offered a few words of caution as well.

"These are exciting times, but not without risk. The tools and skills are new and need to be sharpened. There will be disagreements and strongly expressed opinions. And there will be decisions and mistakes," he continued. "But keep in mind that the big picture is a lot like rebuilding a long dead civilization - and the forest of common goals far outnumber the few trees of differences. Let's keep it civil."

Myst Online is quite possible the most successful unsuccessful videogame of all time. It's been hanging around since 2003, when Ubisoft released it as GameTap [http://www.amazon.com/Uru-Ages-Beyond-Myst-Pc/dp/B00008Z0IA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1302207482&sr=8-4] to bring it back for real in 2007. But that arrangement fizzled too, leading to the open source decision in 2008.

The way I see it, any game that can survive almost a decade of being alternately kicked around and ignored deserves a little love, or at the very least a quick look to see why some people just won't let it go. Surely you must be curious! Find out what's so freakin' amazing about this thing at mystonline.com [http://mystonline.com/en/].

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
I really enjoyed Myst Online when I played it. The community is incredibly friendly and helpful, and the world is great to explore (not to mention the lore involved).

If you enjoyed the Myst games at all, it's definitely worth a peek. I'm glad it's still standing.

th155

Mar 4, 2011
I really enjoyed MYST online when i played it last year. The only problem i had with it was that there really wasn't any replay valve, like all myst games, but the open souce/custom content looks like it will fix this.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
Finally! I've been waiting forever for word about this. Exploration was always my favorite part of the originals. I can't wait to see what comes out of this, at the absolute least it'll be a fascinating experiment.

And even if this never really goes anywhere, at least there's still the movie to look forward too...

Preacher zer0

Jun 13, 2010
Good for them.
I enjoyed this, the atmosphere is great and the community is laid back and mature which is rare for an online game.

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
Nostalgia!
Very interseted in this! Ignored it for awhile but I think I'll definatly have a peek about!

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
AWWWWWWWWWW YEAAAAAAAAH!!!

(obligatory meme FTW)

This is going to make Myst explode as a game.