Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - A Serious Baby Tea Review FINISHED!

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Those familiar with my reviews know that they aren't serious in nature. From Solitaire to SkiFree, my reviews often are humorous in nature in an attempt to lighten the mood of an otherwise fairly serious practice: The reviewing of games. This review, however, is going to be serious in nature, and on going.

'Serious' because this is a game that I've been waiting a while for, and because it's a rather niche game. Not everyone is going to enjoy the simulation-type gameplay, and I've already read a few reviews and previews where the person writing started off by saying it wasn't their type of game, or by comparing it to Call of Duty. Both big mistakes. So I'm making it serious so that those genuinely interested can at least can a fair understanding of the game.

And 'on going', because I'll admit I've only completed three missions so far, as well as have yet to try the multiplayer. I will be updating this review once I've got further in the game, as well as tried the multiplayer. I feel as though I've played (And died) enough to get the ball rolling, however, and make this 'review' actually useful.

And so, let's begin!

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Reviewed for Xbox 360

True sequel, or not true sequel...does it even matter?
For those unfamiliar with the Operation Flashpoint series, this game is actually the second made. The first came out in 2001 and filled a military simulation hole that was, at the time, largely unfulfilled. One hit kills (And deaths), long range infantry combat, massive open battlefield, squad control, and a gritty realism that left many gamers too frusterated to give the game it's fair shot. But for the rest of us, it was awesome. No rambo-style game play here. You followed orders, you moved slow, you used real tactics, and you got a small taste of what war is. Not Hollywood-style run and gun, but a shockingly different and difficult style of shooter.

Now, 8 years later, the company that made the original has since moved on to make ArmA and ArmA 2. Two similar, hyper-realistic military shooters for the same crowd who fell in love with the true original. Codemasters picked up the Flashpoint license, and this is raised the ire of some of the hard-core fans. Calling it 'not a true sequel' and 'dumbed down', some aren't even giving the game the time of day. And this, I think, is a mistake. Indeed, Dragon Rising isn't as 'complex' as ArmA 1 or 2, but I will say that this is the most realistic shooter to grace multiplatforms, and I think it does the Flashpoint brand proud. Not a true sequel? Maybe. But if you're a fan of the series, and the unofficial sequels of Arma, then you should give this at least a fair shot.

Move out! And keep moving! And then die.
Let me make 2 things clear about Dragon Rising: You run a lot, and you'll die a lot.
If you're looking for a military style shooter to tide you over until Modern Warfare 2 comes out, then you're looking at the wrong game. Not that this isn't a military shooter, but the two games are so extremely different, that I wouldn't even consider them part of the same genre. If you want run-and-gun action, go play something else. Seriously, stop reading. This game is slow paced, methodical, and unforgiving. Call of Duty is fast-paced, twitch style gameplay with recharging health. Call of Duty, compared with Dragon Rising, is more akin to Unreal Tournament. I'm not saying one game is better than the other, but just that they are extremely different. You cannot compare them. It would be like comparing Gears of War to Scribblenauts. Two totally different games.

The Look, Sound, and Controls of War
Let's start with the graphics quickly, since they will be the first thing you see. The textures aren't the highest resolution around, but when you consider the draw distance (30 km) on this massive island, you start to understand that not everything is going to be super crisp and clear if you want to maintain decent frame-rates. On the whole, however, I'd say the game looks excellent. The draw distance is indeed excellent, the guns look fantastic, soldier models look and animate well (With a few exceptions), explosions are pretty (With a few exceptions...I'll be getting to these exceptions in a minute, no worries), and vehicles also look excellent. Is it the best looking game around? No. But the graphics won't break immersion (Least ways, they haven't yet for me).

Sound I'll only touch briefly on, since you cannot say anything really bad about it. Ambient sounds, gun sounds, vehicle sounds, ricochets, bullets hitting around you...it all sounds amazing. And I'm just using the speakers on my TV. Had I a surround sound system, I'm sure I could go on about it. There are a few exceptions, but I'll explain those later, as stated.

The controls are your standard FPS fare. I personally didn't adjust the sensitivity, and found it works just fine as is. Everything is easy to find and get used to. The slight exception would be item select, with the squad command being a greater exception. Again, the next section has all the gripes. Speaking of which...

Glitches, complaints, and controlling your squad
The first thing I did when I got the game was install it to my 360 hard-drive. I've heard this helps load times quite a bit, and so I did that first. I did not play the game with it not installed. I've heard some say it's a must-do, So I didn't risk it. Feel free to comment if you're playing without it installed and are noticing anything different then what I'm saying here.

Keeping in mind my quasi-limited time playing the single player, I have encountered only 1 glitch thus far. During a mid-mission update from my CO (Commanding Officer), the sound cut out of his speaking, and I missed what he said for an objective. So I have since turned on subtitles. It hasn't happened again, but I'm ready in case it does. The subtitles aren't too intrusive, and I like being able to read them (Since I can read far faster then they can speak) but it does hinder the immersion a bit.

The biggest gripe I've heard across all reviews is squad control and AI. Squad control is done by holding the right bumper (On the 360) to bring on a command radial, and then using the D-Pad to navigate through menus to get your squad to do what you want. The most obvious choices are usually available by pressing up or down on the D-pad as soon as you hold the button (Move there, follow me, enter vehicle, assault house, engage enemy, etc). So basic commands are easy and quick to do. The deeper you want it, however, the more complicated it can be.

Ordering your men to 'fire at will', for example, requires you to press 'left, up, up' on the D-pad. This eventually becomes easier as you remember where orders are, but initially when you're reading the menus, it can get a little frustrating. Especially when under fire. This is doubly frustrating when you realize that you cannot move when the command radial is up. It's easy to simply let go of the bumper if you need to, but allowing for movement would have been a good idea.

Thankfully, memorizing the commands hasn't proven a daunting task thus far, and the menus move instantly. Which means you'll be ordering as fast as your thumbs can move, rather then waiting for the menus to 'move' or 'load'. Harder at first, but it gets easier.

The AI is a bit iffy on your squad as well. They followed my orders to the T, which means they were on 'hold fire' so that they wouldn't shoot (We were being stealthy). Well an enemy patrol spotted us and opened fire. I fired back and kept firing and then realized my men were holding very true to their orders, even when getting pegged in the chest. C'mon guys! You don't need to hear it from me to defend yourselves! But, apparently, they do. Formations and getting cover are also a bit iffy. Formations not so much, actually, as they will stick to it. This means, though, that they will be sitting out in the open when getting shot at times, and choosing to remain in formation rather then get into cover. So it's a goo idea, when engaging, to order your men to move to cover (Right bumper and up on the D-pad, remember!).

Enemy AI isn't perfect, but it's certainly passable. A few brain-farts here and there, but nothing game breaking.
They'll find you, fix you, and flank you.

The checkpoint system can be a bit annoying at times as well. One mission had me blowing up a missile truck. When I did, however, I was under fire from a gunship and a squad of enemy soldier. Not too great, right? Well I blow it up in the midst of this fire-fight, and then what happens? Checkpoint! I continue the mission, get a little further, and take a round from a soldier in the bushes. I'm dead. Ok, no problem! Reload to last checkpoint..."WE'RE UNDER FIRE! GET DOWN! ENEMY GUNSHIP!" What?? Augh! After dying in that situation 4 times, I managed to get my squad out unscathed, but it certainly was frustrating at the time.

As I said earlier, the animations are great. My only gripe about them is when entering vehicles, you don't actually 'enter' the vehicle. You just press 'A' and you teleport inside and into a seat. Same with your squad. You order them to enter, they'll approach and BAAM! They are suddenly and instantly inside. No opening doors, no clamoring inside. It's totally binary. In or out. A little annoying, but not really game breaking.

Final Thoughts...For Now
As I said, I'll be updating this review once I've tried more of the multiplayer features such as CO-OP (I'm Baby Tea on XBL if anyone wants to play sometime) and the VS modes. But, from what I've play so far, I'm very happy with what the game is: A realistic, slower paced approach to the military shooter that'll excite you for the tension of moving through the trees toward your objective as well as for the gun battles. This isn't Call of Duty or GRAW 2. This is Operation Flashpoint, and I love it. It looks great, it sounds great, it plays great, and I can't wait to get back to playing again tonight.

--BT

UPDATE 1: Singeplayer, How I Love Thee...
I have yet to try the multiplayer, mostly because my evening have been far to busy with 'real life' stuff to really give it the time it deserves. I have, however, been able to play 3 of the single missions (That are separate from the campaign), as well as 3 more missions of the actual campaign. So let me post some affirmations and clarifications here, now that I've had more time to run around the battlefield with my AI squad.

I love this game. I'll say that now and quickly because it isn't perfect, but man is it a blast. One of my recent missions involved rescuing a downed helicopter pilot, and it's been my favourite so far. From rescuing 'echo team' at the beginning, to taking down a patrol of PLA soldiers, to clearing an AA site, to fighting my way into the town where the pilot is holed up, to fighting my way out to get to extraction...that 45 to 1 hour long missions was just awesome. My squad performed well (Even if I didn't), it was tense, and it was awesome.

Downsides? Sure there are. Two come to mind that I found were a bit annoying, the second one nearly costing me a mission. First is in a mission where I had to take an airfield with other squads. It started out great, and stayed great up until the very end. An enemy helicopter came into view, and I was ordered to shoot it down with an AA gun...that I had to find. No indicators of where it would be. As I was frantically looking for this AA gun that's somewhere, my sqaud got lit up by incoming APCs. We won, but I failed that secondary objective (Never shot it down). That annoyed me.

Secondly, in the mission I just completed this morning, there was a fantastic stealth mission. Everything was going amazing. My squad was in tight formation, we were avoiding patrols like pros, and I took down the lone sentry with an epic, silenced, single shot to the back of his skull. Good night! The problem was that I had to wait for a diversion from another squad to lure a ton of enemies out of this fuel depot I was in. So I waited...and waited...and waited. Finally after about, seriously, 8 minutes, I get radio confirmation that things are going well! That they'll pull the guys from the base! Great! So I wait on this hill watching all the enemies...nobody moves. Nobody changes patrol patterns. Nothing. So, being the impatient guy I am (Or was at that time, at least), I just go in and get the mission done. Of course, all the enemies are still there, so my whole squad gets killed except for me. Now I'm playing on 'Normal' right now to make sure I get a feel for the game, so my squad was 'healed' when I got the next checkpoint, but if I was playing on any other difficulty, my squad would be dead men, and I probably would to. That annoyed me.

I've also noticed two clipping glitches so far. Enemies half-way between walls. It's very rare (Only twice in all the fire-fights I've been in?), but it has happened. Certainly not a deal breaker due to it's rarity, but it's something to keep an eye out for.

Beyond those three gripes, I love this game. And I still enjoyed both those 'bad' missions very very much. I'm for sure getting used to the squad commands (Flanking and formation changes), and I can't get enough. It's just awesome. The next, and last, update I do will encompass the multiplayer (Both Co-op and and VS modes). I'm pretty excited.

Multiplayer: Peer hosting, silence, and hilarity.

I decided to skip my Krav Maga class last night, since my wife would be out of the house and it would give me a full evening to dive into the Multiplayer of this game I've been enjoying since it's release. I tried every game mode, though admittedly spent more time in the co-op games then the adversarial ones. I had good experiences, bad ones, and now I'll be sharing them all with you in this final update for this review.

Lag. It's a word that can frustrate the most seasoned of online gamers, and it'll annoy you here. Why? Because there are no dedicated servers. It's all peer hosting. Meaning if I start a game, it's being hosted by my connection. And if I have a 'not the greatest' connection, then everyone else will lag out, or complain and leave. Same goes for me with roles reversed. The upside is that lag is only really noticeable when you're driving a vehicle, which I hate doing anyways (Makes me fee less in control). The trick is finding someone close to you, and the lag meter updates frequently enough when you're in the game lobby to let you know what type of game you're getting into lag-wise.

I'm going to say something that seems a little weird, but here me out: This game is like Left 4 Dead. No, there are no zombies or 'hordes' or 'AI Directors' or whatever. But, there is something that both games absolutely need if the multiplayer is not going to be hair rippingly frustrating: communication. You can't play 'infiltration' and assault an enemy base when you're all running around doing your own thing. You can't. Everyone will die, and the game will be over. Especially if the other team is even half-working together. It makes that much of a difference. Talk to people! Coordinate attacks! set up an ambush! ANYTHING! Just don't run around in circles or charge head-long into the enemy base! You'll die, and we'll all lose. This goes double for Co-op. Why double? Because the enemy AI always works together! So if we aren't, we're dead. I played a co-op match where it was all silent, and it was terrible. I'm trying to stick with my team and kill guys but they'll run off without telling me, and one guy got shot and bled out and we had no idea (Hardcore mode) since he never said anything.
Talk or die, people! Talk or die!

But there are great moments here too. I left that Co-op match and joined another. Good ping, and everyone was talking. It was a great group. Well, mostly great. The 'team leader' (Host) was some obvious 13 or 14 year old kid (The immature, annoying kind), but the other two guys were funny, good guys who were great to play with. They were calling out enemies, providing back up, cracking jokes, and everything else you'd expect from a good co-op experience. It was a good time. I'm sad to say I've yet to have that in an adversarial match, but I'm sure now that it's just because I haven't found the right people to play with (Feel free to add me on XBL, by the way. My gamertag is in my profile).

So finally I can come to a conclusion, after trying everything! And here it is:
The single player is a blast, the multiplayer isn't perfect, but gimme some 'normal' players and the co-op mode and you've got a real winner. I'll be playing this game for some time, and look forward to see how this community fleshes out, especially after Modern Warfare 2's release. Hopefully it'll be like the GRAW 2 community: A bunch of guys who love the game and are looking to have fun.

Sign me up.

--BT

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Your review is pretty well-written, and accurate from what I've played so far. It's much slower paced than Call of Duty, but it works and I love this game so far.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
One thing I loved about ARMA 2, and the previous Operation Flashpoint, was the very easy to use map editor. It's pretty awesome to create some fun skirmishes in ARMA 2 by just dropping a few enemy section in one part of the map, and have them follow a set of way-points to your base, so you can ambush them and or just prepare for the enemy assault by doing your usual commander stuff. This creates a degree of re-playability rarely seen in other games.

So, other than the 11 or so missions in Op. Flashpoint 2, and the awesome co-op feature, can you do anything else single-player, (vs environment)-wise?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
cainx10a said:
One thing I loved about ARMA 2, and the previous Operation Flashpoint, was the very easy to use map editor. It's pretty awesome to create some fun skirmishes in ARMA 2 by just dropping a few enemy section in one part of the map, and have them follow a set of way-points to your base, so you can ambush them and or just prepare for the enemy assault by doing your usual commander stuff. This creates a degree of re-playability rarely seen in other games.

So, other than the 11 or so missions in Op. Flashpoint 2, and the awesome co-op feature, can you do anything else single-player, (vs environment)-wise?
The PC version offers a map editor to do the same type of mission creation.
The Xbox 360 and PS3 versions, however, do not.

There is the single player campaign, available completely for co-op for up to 4 players, the VS modes, and a hand-full of 'single missions' that aren't part of the single player campaign that can be played solo or cooperatively.
The game makes it very obvious, however, that there will be missions released as DLC.
When this will be and how much it will cost is up in the air, but there will be more coming.

Headspace

Jun 13, 2009
From what I can tell, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising looks like a sort of halfway point between the more high-fidelity realism and sandbox-style editing capability that ArmA 2 offers and something more akin to the Battlefield series. Which means that it would probably be entertaining to play on the console, but I can't see myself picking it up for the PC with any sense of urgency.

There is one positive thing that I noticed off the bat, which is that the animations are fairly well done in OFP:DR?particularly for things like deaths and so on. The other positive that comes to mind is the radial menus used in the interface; I've always liked radial menus. While those two things are positive, there are a few solid reasons why it gets a no-go for me in the multiplayer gaming department.

First is the playercount limit. I'm used to playing ArmA and ArmA 2 with more than 70 people (at times). Taking that number down to 16 would seriously limit the scope and depth of the multiplayer experience?particularly with custom missions?that I currently enjoy.

Second, in some of the reviews I've read about OFP:DR, the reviewers have stated that there is a multiplayer distance limit where players must stay within a few kilometers of other players. That's not a limitation that either of the ArmA games have, and it would be absolutely awful to have to observe that limitation when designing a multiplayer mission.

Third, the lack of TrackIR support and leaning in general is a major disappointment. I've become so accustomed to my TrackIR that I could not imagine playing without it. I like being able to quickly glance back and forth when I reload, or to gently lean around corners without having to manipulate anything but the position of my head.

While those three reasons are certainly not dealbreakers for most of the gaming population, and while it seems like OFP:DR is a decent game in its own right, I will likely pass this one up unless I see some other reason not to.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Headspace said:
First is the playercount limit. I'm used to playing ArmA and ArmA 2 with more than 70 people (at times). Taking that number down to 16 would seriously limit the scope and depth of the multiplayer experience?particularly with custom missions?that I currently enjoy.

Second, in some of the reviews I've read about OFP:DR, the reviewers have stated that there is a multiplayer distance limit where players must stay within a few kilometers of other players. That's not a limitation that either of the ArmA games have, and it would be absolutely awful to have to observe that limitation when designing a multiplayer mission.

Third, the lack of TrackIR support and leaning in general is a major disappointment. I've become so accustomed to my TrackIR that I could not imagine playing without it. I like being able to quickly glance back and forth when I reload, or to gently lean around corners without having to manipulate anything but the position of my head.
One thing I've noticed about all your gripes with the game, besides being very legitimate, is that they all compare Dragon Rising to ArmA. Dragon Rising isn't ArmA. And I know you know that, but I'll also add that Dragon Rising isn't a 'replacement' for ArmA. Bohemian pretty much has the hyper realistic military sim crowd wrapped around it's finger with ArmA 1 and 2. Both great games for fans of the genre.

But console gamers are kind of stuck when it comes to that genre. What do we have? GRAW? That's not nearly the same. Dragon Rising gives console players the opportunity to be able to get the same experience without making sure they've got a good enough gaming rig to not only play ArmA 2, but play it well on fully populated servers. All I got is a netbook! Can't play ArmA 2 on that!

But I do have a 360, and Dragon Rising is a great step toward consolers getting the military sim love.
We need it.

Headspace

Jun 13, 2009
Baby Tea said:
One thing I've noticed about all your gripes with the game, besides being very legitimate, is that they all compare Dragon Rising to ArmA. Dragon Rising isn't ArmA. And I know you know that, but I'll also add that Dragon Rising isn't a 'replacement' for ArmA. Bohemian pretty much has the hyper realistic military sim crowd wrapped around it's finger with ArmA 1 and 2. Both great games for fans of the genre.
That is a legitimate point. I'm comparing it to ArmA/A2 for three reasons.

1. It's the closest thing to those games genre-wise, thus, the comparison is a logical one.
2. I've probably spent more time playing games in the de facto OFP series (from Bohemia) more than any other set of games.
3. OFP:DR is branded as the sequel to Operation: Flashpoint; ArmA/A2 are what I'd consider to be the de facto sequels to that game, thus, there's another opportunity to see if it can live up to actually being a sequel in more than just the name.
But console gamers are kind of stuck when it comes to that genre. What do we have? GRAW? That's not nearly the same. Dragon Rising gives console players the opportunity to be able to get the same experience without making sure they've got a good enough gaming rig to not only play ArmA 2, but play it well on fully populated servers. All I got is a netbook! Can't play ArmA 2 on that!
My criticism would be way worse were this a PC only game. I think that OFP:DR fills the console niche quite nicely, to be honest. Let's face it, there hasn't been anything like OFP:DR around for the XBox platform since the original Ghost Recon and OFP:Elite. It was awesome playing GR on XBox live, that was, before I had a PC that could run it. So you do have a very legit point there.

May 28, 2009
Nice review BT. I've pre-ordered mine and it arrives in the UK on the 9th. Your review has put my worries at ease now - I can handle those few problems - so I'm looking forward to getting to grips with it myself.

I too have a terrible computer, so am unable to play ArmA, and I have been so looking forward to anything that can take me back to the military-sim enjoyment I derived from the original OFP.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Nice, one question I really want to ask though...

Remember that news post about Flashpoint getting a neat injury system? With your enemies bleeding out around on the floor?

How is that implemented/does it work?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
WrongSprite said:
Nice, one question I really want to ask though...

Remember that news post about Flashpoint getting a neat injury system? With your enemies bleeding out around on the floor?

How is that implemented/does it work?
It works well.
You have a set amount of 'blood' in your system, and when you get hit you start to bleed out (How fast that goes depends on where you were hit). So you have to patch yourself up before you bleed to death. Playing on Normal mode nets you a 'health' fix after every checkpoint, otherwise you're stuck that way for the rest of the mission. And missions can go on for 45 minutes or longer. So it's a good idea to keep your head down.

As for enemies, there is nothing sweeter then having some infantryman running along and you smoke him in the chest with a round. He'll hit the floor hard. They can 'patch up' too, though, so you gotta keep hittin' them to make sure they are down. But they'll craw to safety, or just crawl in fear. There is actually morale, and it's fun to light up a squad and peg the last guy in the back as he tries to run away into the forest. "Sorry buddy! No retreat, no prisoners!"

I can't wait to play again tonight.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
Game sounds incredibly interesting, when more is written, I may consider buying it.

Well written review!

Beartrucci

Jun 19, 2009
Great review, I really appreciate it seeing as the IGN review didn't really help me decide whether I wanted to buy the game. Your review though, well I'm buying the game day one now after reading it.

Rocket Taco

Oct 9, 2009
How's the playerbase? I'll buy it if they're playing it right, but being Live I'm wary of glitch and bug hunters.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
The first update is now up!
Loving the singleplayer, and I can't wait to get into the Multiplayer (Which will be the next update)!
Great game.

Cookiegerard

Aug 27, 2009
I'm still going to get the game even if there is a few bugs. (P.S I never install games onto my hardrive)

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Nice review.

I was really looking forward to this game, until I found out like no retailers have it on their shelves in my area. Goddamn it, now I have to wait till my ebay copy comes in. This game sounds so amazing.

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
I was going to attempt a review but I'll add my comments to the bottom as this review has pretty much what I wanted to say only defiantly better put.

Some glitches I have found are that My team likes to get in the way when I shoot, this has happened only about 3 or 4 times, but it is still defiantly annoying, also I have finally found a helicopter in which to fly :) except it is really tricky to fly especially as I have not been given a tutorial in it or anything and crashed whilst trying to shoot some infantry.

The online is sketchy for me I haven't been able to play a game due to lag and it is refusing to connect me to matches, normally I have a good connection on most other games.

Fantastic game though I haven't been able to put it down yet defiantly a must buy to all those who hate getting grenade spammed on Cod