Opinion: DOOM is Exactly as Violent and Bloody as It Should Be

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Opinion: DOOM is Exactly as Violent and Bloody as It Should Be

There were some vocal critics of the DOOM trailer at Bethesda?s E3 press conference. I am not one of them.

Read Full Article

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Graphics look pretty shit. But... Yeuy DOOM. People are still complaining about too much violence?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Encaen said:
There were some vocal critics of the DOOM trailer at Bethesda?s E3 press conference. I am not one of them.
I'll be honest, I thought the reveal was glorious. I haven't been this excited for a new game release in years. It feels both fresh and familiar.

Those criticizing the game for being "too violent" are more than welcome to make those criticisms. They're even valid criticisms, based on their subjective points of view. However, anyone arguing that the game shouldn't exist are no better than those who claim games like Gone Home shouldn't exist because it's "not really a game".

I absolutely agree with you. Criticisms are fine and should be freely made, but criticism from the point of view of ignorance should be freely ignored.

iseko said:
Graphics look pretty shit.
How so? idTech 6 is looking pretty impressive, if you ask me. Certainly no less than what I've seen thus far from engines like Unreal 4, Frostbite 4, etc.

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
Vigormortis said:
How so? idTech 6 is looking pretty impressive, if you ask me. Certainly no less than what I've seen thus far from engines like Unreal 4, Frostbite 4, etc.
To be hones, my first thought when I saw the trailer was also, "for a brand new game, these close up shots dont' look amazing" Far from shit, and they where close ups. But for what we are used in trailers it was a little underwhelming.

As for the violence complaints. The article says it all, sod that. She (because lets not pretend we don't know who is the prime offender her) has partly invalidated what good points she made over the last year by basically saying the equavelant of "there is to many nazis in this world war 2 movie"

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I think the only complain about the game that has grounds at this point (long before the game is released) is that the color palette is really desaturated. All the graphics go from bright red to dark redish brown...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The only criticism I had of the Doom gameplay and trailer was the executions being excessive. Excessive in the sense that they were needlessly slow and convoluted, particularly the chainsaw, they would get boring really fast in actual play.

Some of them were pretty good, the sliding kick, face punch and goomba stomp (for lack of better descriptions) had the speed and potential to be strung together into chain that could make them great fun. The one's that require you stop moving were terrible though, they need to be missing from the final release. Maybe give the Marine Iron Man style thruster punches to explain the speed and ferocity of them, you could explain away the seventy miles per hour running speed the same way too.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Rblade said:
To be hones, my first thought when I saw the trailer was also, "for a brand new game, these close up shots dont' look amazing" Far from shit, and they where close ups. But for what we are used in trailers it was a little underwhelming.
Mmm, I suppose, but to me that makes it a bit more impressive, honestly. To know that this is likely how the game will actually look while playing, instead of some doctored, pre-animated thing like we usually see in reveal trailers, makes it more striking to me.

I agree with some that the videos look far too desaturated, but that's something that can easily be fixed - either by the devs or by the user.

Arean

Windwalker of Shaundakul
Apr 24, 2008
Short, succinct, and some much needed sanity to this kerfuffle.

Frankly, when it comes to this type of "Cultural Criticism", I wonder how much it is actually worth. The outrage over Doom, and the complaints about The Witcher 3's perceived "racism" before it, showcases a huge lack of understanding of the culture these people are puportedly critiquing, and at this point, I see little merit in it.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I can't help but feel that the "criticism" entertainment media faces has in some cases gone from any semblance of being constructive to something that feels oppressive. Not every game is or should be as violent as Doom by a long shot- but surely, Doom can be Doom? The idea that every game has to meet the strictest standards of anyone who might dislike the content is every bit as harmful as the "expanding our audience" lowest-common-denominator engineering that has cursed games like the Dead Space franchise. That there should be games for all tastes- from FPS players to match-three gamers to social game click-fests- should never mean that every game has to palatable to all tastes.

As far as the new Doom itself, I'm only concerned that the various "rip your enemy apart" animations are going to get old after long, protracted, multi-enemy battles, doubly so if every enemy that kills you gets to "gloat" about it. The violence itself I could take or leave- but I'd certainly not say it's my place to tell those who enjoy it that they can't.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
People are complaining about the violence in Doom again? Number one: The creatures the player fights are hellspawn, not soldiers fighting for an ambiguous agenda that you can shoot in FPSes or innocent civilians you can massacre in sandbox games. (Might I also add that all of those are fictional, since we are talking about video games.) This is one example of a story where there is no chance of negotiating with the enemy, and they have no redeeming qualities. Whether through divine powers or lots of lead, the player is going to have to fight them.

Number two: Everything in that trailer has been done before, by the original Doom and other games. Gears of War's entire early appeal was designed around chainsawing your enemies if half. Mortal Kombat's gruesome finishers have been steadily growing more realistic looking. Plenty of games have had gory gun violence.

Yet, someone still want's to gripe about a little bit of red in one game? Fine. Let them. They have the right to an opinion. But, they will soon be forgotten by the people who will be enjoying the game, and they will turn to the next morally questionable thing they see while forgetting about Doom. It's hard to play the "think of the children" card when the demographic of most games today is 20s to 30s. (Though, the Australian government is sure to do it when they get their review footage. Luckily, imports and other methods can get around some old coots, who are so out of touch with the modern world that I am surprised they don't scream witchcraft at the simple operation of a toaster.)

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
As far as I know it's not really "the gamers" that are complaining about the violence and Doom being Doom, but journos and press from..shall we say "socially enlightened" sites and members of the permanently offended brigade including some of the usual familiar names tossed around whenever something is deemed offensive or sexist or w/e.

As always: fuck them.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
The color scheme is also but anyway that is all moot. There is a lot more to Doom than speed/gore. However, most people seem to forget that. Which is why this game is doomed to be a failure.

Darkness665

Dec 21, 2010
OMG, was that Sarge at the end? All glowing tech panel in his chest or maybe it was it a pack of explosives. He will never fit that head into a helmet again. Just sayin.

Either way, ignorance we can fix. Stupid is forever. The essence of massive stupidity that is the disbarred Jack Thompson will never fade. In the day of the internet we have it magnified because some twit will seize themselves a moment to gather the inter-rubes fame and repeat dreck. Dreck in, dreck out.