Opinion: RIP PS Vita - 2012-2018

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
The Vita really never had anything much to offer except a few ports of some older games like Persona 4 and Disgaea 3. It COULD have had a great Tales series game if the people making it didn't decide to give it the most half assed localization the entire Tales series has ever had, and that includes Tales of Phantasia's Gameboy Advance port.

Anthony J Agnello

Dec 21, 2009
Oh man, I couldn't disagree more. Its library really blossomed between 2014 and now. Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars, Sayonara Umihara Kawase, Yomawari, Ys 8, Gravity Rush, Severed, Guacamelee, World of Final Fantasy, the Gundam Breaker series, the whole Vanillaware catalog. There's been so, so, so much released for Vita that most people didn't even realize was there. In a pre-Switch world it was just essential.

I'm with you, though: that Tales of Hearts R release was not great.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Honestly, the vita was a consol that showed me just how weak Sony is with understanding and managing licensed material on their platforms. I bought a vita when it launched, and really wanted something from it that I thought it unquestionably had the ability to do... Being a fan of JRPGs and light handheld action games, the ps-vita really just had to provide me with enough titles to hold myself over. It?s easy to forget now that it took over a year for the final fantasy back catalogue to make it on the platform. Now, looking back at the catalogue of vita games, there are decent examples of great games that served as examples for all the awesomeness the system could provide. Gravity daze, and persona 4 come to mind. But they never really had titles that lived up to those in their respective genres. I?m sad but not at all surprised to see this result honestly.

Apr 5, 2008
I have three original PSPs, one of each generation of the hardware. I liked the original, had some good games on it but the Vita never appealed. I think the proprietary format/download thing didn't appeal. It seemed like a very expensive endeavour and I think it never took off mainstream.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Anthony J Agnello said:
Oh man, I couldn't disagree more. Its library really blossomed between 2014 and now. Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars, Sayonara Umihara Kawase, Yomawari, Ys 8, Gravity Rush, Severed, Guacamelee, World of Final Fantasy, the Gundam Breaker series, the whole Vanillaware catalog. There's been so, so, so much released for Vita that most people didn't even realize was there. In a pre-Switch world it was just essential.

I'm with you, though: that Tales of Hearts R release was not great.
Lotta names there I do not recognize! I will look into it.

For now, I have PS+ and have had to delete games because my single 64 Gig card can't hold them all. Nice bonus as I'd have the membership for my PS3s and PS4 anyway.

Bad Player

Jun 21, 2013
I always thought the Vita was mediocre... However, I bought one just to get New Danganronpa v3, and... the console is amazing! I like my New 3DS better, but the Vita is still fantastic. Like AJA mentioned, the library is actually deep and fantastic. One "negative" for the library might be the fact that a lot of the good games are also available on other consoles, which is a fair point if you have those other consoles, but if you don't then the Vita is a fantastic way to play them. The library goes even deeper when you add the PSP titles from the PSN Store, and if you know Japanese and can get those Japanese-only RPGs and VNs. I suppose the price (of the console itself and the memory) was a huge stumbling block... but whenever I play my Vita, I always find it a bit hard to believe it failed so hard when it's such a solid console with such great games.

(Also the original Tales of Hearts was absolutely stunning; one of my top two Tales games.)

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I really loved the amount of visual novels coming out on the Vita, so I could play what used to be games that were pretty much exclusive to the pc to something that I could do on the go. At this point, I'm a few days away from getting myself a Switch and hoping it'll have the same kind of catalog that I got out of the Vita. It's really interesting how disruptive the Switch was to handheld consoles.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
I forget 3DS took a while to get it's shit together. I never had a Vita but I've heard it was a home for games the typical ecosystem doesn't really support. In a way it's a far more dignified end than 3DS' utter abandonment.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
All Sony needs to do (this requires pulling their head out of their ass) is make a portable Playstation machine with a large memory that can play ALL PS1, PS2, PSP and PS Vita games. Have the handheld device cost less that $250 for the machine, and I can guarantee that people will buy this to get access to the games Sony doesn't realize we actually want.

Imagine playing Legend of Dragoon, the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance series, Black, and so many other great games on a portable device. Sony would recoup any losses by pricing reasonble amounts for the digital games ($15-20 for PS3, $10-15 for PS2 and $10 for the rest)

Anthony J Agnello

Dec 21, 2009
VoidWanderer said:
All Sony needs to do (this requires pulling their head out of their ass) is make a portable Playstation machine with a large memory that can play ALL PS1, PS2, PSP and PS Vita games. Have the handheld device cost less that $250 for the machine, and I can guarantee that people will buy this to get access to the games Sony doesn't realize we actually want.

Imagine playing Legend of Dragoon, the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance series, Black, and so many other great games on a portable device. Sony would recoup any losses by pricing reasonble amounts for the digital games ($15-20 for PS3, $10-15 for PS2 and $10 for the rest)
I would buy this on day one.