Opinions on: GAME and their site GAME.co.uk

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
I pre-order all my new games from there. I've never really had a problem, everyone seems nice, especially this one guy, who talks to me about games. And whilst it may be pretty expensive, that seems to be the only problem.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
My only problem with game is that selling them your old games is a complete rip-off, they take it off you for £3 then sell it at twenty, and sometimes it doesn't make sense, I once sold Game Lego star wars: the complete saga for £13 when Fable III (which was admittedly not that great but 3 years newer) for £2.50

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Game annoy me, when I got my slim PS3 from them about a month ago I tried first to get Assassins Creed, no luck...okay Need For Speed, also no luck.. okay Battlefield 3 which the guy couldn't find out back, and they refused to give me a new one off the shelf instead of one from the back.. Ended up walking away with Fifa, shoulda gone somewhere else tbh.

Still helluvah expensive for games. I try to buy games from Gamestation more nowadays, although I have preordered Twisted Metal from Game.com because I have reward points to spend.

Still I didn't get any better service from Play.com or Amazon. Play.com had no cancel order button even though it says to click that if you want to cancel. And Amazon I tried to cancel an order and they told me it had already been dispatched so I couldn't. A week later I get an email from Amazon saying it'd been dispatched that morning.

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
Pebblig said:
Has anyone else had a poor experience of GAME?
I'm having a bit of a rant, see I needed some more Microsoft points (bloody online pass) and rather than going through Microsoft itself, GAME offered the points ever so slightly cheaper via download (they'd email me the code). So I figured, "hey might as well", should be nice and fast.

I figured it'd be nice and fast, but it's still waiting to "dispatch", so I figured I'd be better just cancelling and going through Microsoft instead. But NO, apparently I can't cancel the aforementioned order and apparently many people have had problems, they go to cancel (preorders etc.) yet there is no option to. I go to my orders, I amend it and all I can do is edit details like address and payment.

The only direct option I have is to call customer service, but they can piss right off with that option.

In the help section of their site, the way they describe how to cancel is outdated, they refer to sections of their site that no longer go by the name they say, or don't exist. Their website seems buggy as shit, and a lot of the time I try to do things, yet their site responds with an ascii error screen.

Slightly unrelated, is the fact that their products are usually overpriced (Both in store and online). For example charging £37.99 for a brand new 3DS game.

Many of the employees piss me right off. About 50% have no idea what they are selling. While at a GAME near me, there's this really moody ***** who is ALWAYS rude. I try to be extra polite, but to no avail.

It's just a multitude of things, that over the years have made me hate the chain. They are the dominant high street videogame retailer, yet their service is often piss poor.
Y U NO GOOD GAME?
I think you're better of buying retail in a proper GAME
Than in a gamestation (Though gamestation remains ACE)

Buying 2nd hand I usually prefer Gamestation tho I never had any problems with GAME it's just personal preference

And well I figure if you have a bad experience with GAME online there must be a competitor that does it better so go to them

h@wke

May 2, 2011
I don't mind game myself, although there is no alternative in my city. I like how the staff seem to have a scripted response when you mention a game which is "oh yeah I've got that one, although I haven't finished it yet" or along those lines. Anyone else notice that? or do the employees at my local GAME really all own fallout 4 (although they haven't finished it yet)

That said some knob did sell me a pre-owned copy of dragon age 2 for £1 cheaper than a new one, completely neglecting to mention the dlc I wouldn't be getting as a result.

AwesomeNinjaPowers

May 31, 2009
You think being a customer is bad try being an employee which I suffered for two and a half years. Oh and I'm female and knew more than the 7 other employees who were all male

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Lawnmooer said:
I really hate Game.

I've often argued with my friends (Who really love Game) that Gamestation is much much better (And it is)

In Game the people who work there never know anything about games other than what they read off the back of the box (I bought a second copy of WoW there and the guy selling it was reading off the back "This game like needs the internet because it's not really focused around the single player." Geee... Really?) I also find that their prices are really quite high which is quite annoying the only reason I shopped at that place is because if I'm not in the town I live by it's the only video game store and I had a Game card to use.

Whereas in Gamestation the people working there actually know about and play games, and will go into really awesome discussions about different games whilst awesome music plays in the background. Fortunately they brought out a Gamestation card that I can now use to get awesome deals as well as their games being sold at retail price (Rather than tacking on extra to make more personal profit) and their pre-owned deals (I know Boo! Support the developers! I have no money I have to make do with what I can afford) are simply amazing.

In short Game is really really sucky I hate everything about it and really do like the fact that across the street from my local Game store is a Gamestation.

Correction, GameStation USED to be good. Since they got taken over by GAME, they're only marginally better. It's a real shame.

My first experience with GameStation wasn't good (a complete arsehole of a manager), but everything up until a few months after GAME's takeover was all groovy.

GAME, however, have ALWAYS been terrible. Obscene prices, horrible (and stupid) clerks and managers, bad service and worthless deals.

Dec 14, 2009
From my experience with GAME, the employees are morons, it's like none of them have played anything other than Call of Duty, I've forgotten more about games than they know.
Their prices are high and their reward scheme is a joke.

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009
Necroid_Neko said:
I'm not too keen on them.
1) Their new-game prices are often more expensive than Amazon's.
2) I get constantly harassed by acned men in their middle twenties, asking if I need any help looking for a game, ignoring other customers to help direct me - a female customer - to the Sims. Seriously, I asked for Dragon Age and they suggested I get the Sims, I was pretty offended.
3) Their used games section is never tidy which aggravates my OCD to no end.
4) They won't hire me so I can sort out their damn used games section without looking like a complete nutjob. As a young, relatively attractive female gamer with quite a lot of knowledge of gaming I would have thought I'd be an excellent choice to work in a shop that caters to a primarily male audience, apparently not. Ho hum.
Come to think of it, has anyone ever seen a girl working in a game? I know I never have...
I worked there over Christmas a couple of years ago, they made me stand by the door to "attract" customers, made me always man the Wii section despite me 90% of the time no one being there and one guy asked if he could touch my hair... It was a bizarre experience...

Though I did get to ID teenage boys when MW2 came out. One's answer was "I don't have any ID, but I'm 18 in my pants baby." I was almost sick in my mouth!

Rude as HECK

Feb 24, 2011
Talking to the manager of my local Game, he told me that the online support is terrible for a reason: until recently, the email address on the website was the wrong one, meaning all the emails sent went nowhere.

Now, that is bullshit.

Superbun

Sep 8, 2010
I don't buy that many games at retail these days, When I buy games on-line I go to steam for PC games and game.co.uk for everything else (A few occasional purchases from play.com or Amazon notwithstanding)

I've been a loyal customer to my local Game store for a few years now, although I do infrequently visit my local Gamestation. As far as I know the staff at both stores seem to be nice and reasonably knowledgeable, admittedly being a full-time student I normally only get into my local stores on weekends when they're busy and there's not really time to talk to the staff.

As far as prices go prices at game.co.uk seem to be about the same as Amazon's or cheaper, and in-store prices are just standard RRP, I don't trade-in games that often (I like to keep my games) my memory is a bit hazy on this but I think last time I traded in games I got a better offer from Game than I did Gamestation.

As mentioned above I regularly use Game.co.uk, and I've had no issues with the site being buggy/badly designed.

One final note: I think a lot of this argument just comes down to personal preference and experience, and just because you don't get along with the staff in your local store(s) doesn't reflect on the whole company, in fact I've been repeatedly told by my friends that they dislike the staff in my local Game store, for seemingly no reason I can think of

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
nicole1207 said:
I was almost sick in my mouth!
It's strange, why is there so much abuse and harassment of females when it comes to gaming - both online and in stores, conventions, etc?

It really annoys me (that's putting it mildly).

Necroid_Neko

Nov 24, 2011
nicole1207 said:
I worked there over Christmas a couple of years ago, they made me stand by the door to "attract" customers, made me always man the Wii section despite me 90% of the time no one being there and one guy asked if he could touch my hair... It was a bizarre experience...

Though I did get to ID teenage boys when MW2 came out. One's answer was "I don't have any ID, but I'm 18 in my pants baby." I was almost sick in my mouth!
Wow...that's not only treating you badly as an employee, but getting treated badly by customers too? I revoke it, I no longer wish to work in a male dominated environment o_O

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
Over here in Aus we don't have Gamestation, but we do have GAME and EB Games.
I've noticed that the staff at GAME (the closest one to me) seemed to be somewhat disinterested in their work, just milling around, not reallyt doing anything, but the staff at EB (only a very short walk and an escalator ride upstairs away from GAME) were constantly working, either putting new stock out or just cleaning up a bit. I actually had a full-on in-depth gaming conversation with one of the staff there for a good 5 minutes when the store was really quiet.
Can't really comment on the prices, considering that over here we get stupid prices for everything.

Jan 23, 2010
Huh, weird. Out of the three 3 game stores that has existed in my home town during the last 10 years GAME is quite clearly the best of them. Their staff has good advice and seem to know whats going on in the industry. They have never tried to persuade me to buy something else, only said that there is a guide if I'm interested and they have repeatedly replaced my scratched games for no charge instead of attempting to fix it.

GAME.se is also completely amazing. They often bump down prices for limited periods of time so if you're fast you can get good deals. They deliver within 2-3 days with no shipping cost. I ordered a game at 10am and I had it in my hand the following morning.

If anyone is wondering I live in the northern parts of Sweden, maybe that is why the GAME employees are actual decent human beings.

Captcha: his gcDDHE
As in:
I would really like to have a bite of his gcDDHE but I don't think he wants to share.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Necroid_Neko said:
As a young, relatively attractive female gamer with quite a lot of knowledge of gaming I would have thought I'd be an excellent choice to work in a shop that caters to a primarily male audience, apparently not. Ho hum.
Come to think of it, has anyone ever seen a girl working in a game? I know I never have...
Actually, a friend of mine happens to be a supervisor in a GAME store, and the problem she faces is that the customers will be less likely to listen to her opinion about games. She's actually been asked quite a few times by customers if they can "have someone else's opinion" while looking at a male member of staff. She's a friendly, attractive, smiley girl - usually the type of thing that shines out over any man in a retail environment, but in a GAME store it actually seems to hamper your ability to do your job in some areas.

Then again, the GAME nearer to me has more women than men in it on the weekend team and they seem to do just fine, so it depends on the area.

OT:

I've never had any bad experiences with GAME, myself. Sometimes their prices are higher than other places, but when I've purchased games from them I've never had any problems receiving the item - through delivery - and the customer service - when in person - is often pretty good.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
AngloDoom said:
Necroid_Neko said:
As a young, relatively attractive female gamer with quite a lot of knowledge of gaming I would have thought I'd be an excellent choice to work in a shop that caters to a primarily male audience, apparently not. Ho hum.
Actually, a friend of mine happens to be a supervisor in a GAME store, and the problem she faces is that the customers will be less likely to listen to her opinion about games. She's actually been asked quite a few times by customers if they can "have someone else's opinion" while looking at a male member of staff. She's a friendly, attractive, smiley girl - usually the type of thing that shines out over any man in a retail environment, but in a GAME store it actually seems to hamper your ability to do your job in some areas.
That's exactly the problem I faced when I worked there, too. I had a really bad one once when I was on the till and asked who was next, a bloke walked over, didn't even GLANCE in my direction and proceeded to ask the male staff member sorting the cabinets out behind me about Microsoft points. Never mind the fact that I'd been there for four years by that point, love gaming, the 360 is my platform of choice and I actually know what I'm talking about. I was pretty pissed, haha.

I found it got slightly easier when I was promoted and wore a manager's badge, people started giving a crap about my advice. But you still get the occasional dickhead who gender-stereotypes. Funnily enough, the majority of the girls I worked with during my time there all had their heads screwed in, too.

God, I remember the website problems, though. We had a lot of angry customers coming into the store for a solution and I couldn't blame them. I ended up telling a lot of customers they'd be best off avoiding it for a while because they were having some severe teething issues after the overhaul. I lost count of how many e-mails we got saying the website had ballsed up once more... It's always fun when the gift card server crashes just after Christmas, too, and little Timmy can't spend the £50 he has on there. Holy crap. They need a serious server overhaul, too, crashes happened far too many times.

theskadudeguy

Nov 19, 2010
Lawnmooer said:
I really hate Game.

I've often argued with my friends (Who really love Game) that Gamestation is much much better (And it is)
Hate to break it to you bro but Gamestation was bought out by GAME at least 4 years ago now.

I worked in GAME and not all of us are idiots thanks Im a bit insulted by all this. Racists! :p

JK I can understand why you would get pissed off but just remember you find dicks everywhere, although that internet problem seems pretty shit I feel for you man.

Nami nom noms

Apr 26, 2011
This has always been the case for me; in that Gamestation is far superior to GAME, and the latter barely know anything. Often Game hire people who have some retail experience, but know nothing about the products they are selling.

something I have heard from GAME staff:
'Gameboy (advance) games are the best games to pre-order, because the disks don't get scratched.'

:|

add in poor service, rude staff, constantly scratched and unworking pre-owned games and it's no wonder I avoid GAME at all costs.

@OP: You should document all the parts of the site that are outdated, unhelpful, and plain don't work, you should cancel your order via phone if they require it, and most of all you should complain to trading standards with said documentation.