Opinions on the Timesplitters Series

gyroc1

Nov 26, 2011
I skipped the first one and am currently playing the second out of 3 Timesplitters games. I'm at the halfway point of the Story mode and feel that it has been pretty frustrating. I have been forced to accept that to progress, I have to die and restart over and over again. I hear that the series is fun and (maybe) under-rated, as the many reviews I skimmed say, and I can see why. The game has personality that you don't see in FPSs these days, and there are lots of content outside of the Story mode, especially the MapMaker. But I'm starting to side with the few that don't think there should be another game. Don't worry fanbois, I'm almost done with the Story, I want my moneys worth, and I will continue the rest of the series like the masochist that I am.

Here's the discussion. Please tell me about your opinions and experience with the Timesplitters series and why.

Did you die a lot? Did you rush through the single player? Were FPSs at that time just made like that, where you do trial and error til you succeed?
You'll notice that I focus on the Story mode for the most part. I know there's an arcade mode too. And I know the series is known for its Multiplayer and MapMaker. To tell the truth, I haven't gotten to those parts yet, but I will. Also, the game is kind of old and I don't have friends that will readily play with me because they're probably playing CoD or something. Please always say something about single player, even if you say that you didn't touch single player.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Fuckin' love me some Timesplitters. I remember playing through with my brother when I was like, 10. Used more tactics in those games than I do in most "Tactical shooters" nowadays.
Plus, multiplayer was fun as balls. Chocolate coated marshmallow flavoured balls.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
Most fun FPS I have ever played, to be honest. Sure, it could be frustrating at times, and there were a few occasions where I'd die a bit, but there was such a fun and crazy variety of weapons and characters to use, it really made up for it. I liked the humorous tone of the single player, but I probably wouldn't play it very much without someone else to do co-op with.

Still, multiplayer and mapmaker really were the best bits of it for me. Single player loses a large amount of what made it so fun.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
I didn't have a PS2 so I didn't play the original. Timesplitters 2, however, was probably my most played Xbox game. My god it was awesome. Single player, multiplayer, map maker... everything.

For some reason, I never bought Timesplitters: Future Perfect. I did hire it three times with a friend of mine though, and we always had a lot of fun with it.

It's the only console FPS series I would have any interest in buying future instalments of these days... although I don't know how intact the Free Radical team is now that they were taken over.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Timesplitters is frickin' awesome! They seriously need to hurry up with Timesplitters 4.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Yes man, Timsplitters was epic! Especially Future Perfect.

I wish they'd make another one, it was on of the few games that focused on a fun co-op experience, plus they still had bots so that meant fun times in the days before live :)

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I still haven't played the first game, only the second and third.

To be honest, I thought the second one sucked. I hated the Goldeneye-style aiming system, the difficulty with levels, the weapons that seemed very same-ish, and the boring story. I don't think I even played multiplayer, most splitscreen attempts ended in everyone getting frustrated with the aiming.

The third, however, is fun as shit. The story (while still slightly stupid) is zany and memorable, the aiming system is the classic aiming style, the guns are varied and freakin' cool, the multiplayer is deep and addictive.

And, by the way, Timesplitters has the BEST zombies, except when they have guns. Fuck them then, that's just cheatin'.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Timesplitters is easily the best pure FPS that was ever made. Nothing has ever come close to it's level of pure awesomeness without blending other genres into the mix.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I think my avatar shows my opinion of Timesplitters. Who needs realistic shooters when you can have four way team deathmatch between robots, zombies, snowmen and dinosaurs :D

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I got to say its my favorite fps series ever next to doom, the amount of time I spent doing all the challenges and mindless deathmatches against friends or bots was ridiculous. None of these realistic FPS army shooters will ever be able to compare against its pure fun factor.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Faaaantastic. Playing through Timesplitters 2 on co-op with a friend is one of my all time favorite memories of the PS2 era. So much imagination in there.

I might be wrong, but as I understand it the Timesplitters series had some ex Rare dudes who worked on Goldeneye for the N64, and I can totally see it. Talk about an under appreciated gem of a series.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
The story mode of the first two is severely lacking, but is hilarious in Future Perfect. Overall, it's one of my favorite game series ever.

gyroc1

Nov 26, 2011
TheYellowCellPhone said:
I still haven't played the first game, only the second and third. [...]
According to research, the first game doesn't have a connection to the next 2, so you can safely skip it unless you want a history lesson.

Hazy992 said:
Timesplitters is frickin' awesome! They seriously need to hurry up with Timesplitters 4.
As expected, most comments focus on multiplayer or don't explain exactly why Timesplitters is fun. I feel like calling out Hazy992 for some reason. Try not to take it personally. I really want an opinion on the Story mode (to make me feel better about dying a lot.) Is it normal to die a lot during the single player story? I recall not dying a lot when I played Black, or Goldeneye 64, but FPSs aren't my main genre.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
AgentNein said:
I might be wrong, but as I understand it the Timesplitters series had some ex Rare dudes who worked on Goldeneye for the N64, and I can totally see it. Talk about an under appreciated gem of a series.
Not just any ex-Rare dudes, but none other than...

Valdsator

May 7, 2009
I've completed 2, Future Perfect (3), and have started 1. My favorite is definitely Future Perfect, because there's a lot more humor, and as fun as it is to have to work with your friend cooperatively to complete a hard mission, TimeSplitters 2 really is frustrating, mainly when playing solo. Future Perfect makes a good challenge playing either solo or coop, so it's a good balance.

For your questions:
Yes, I died a lot.
No, I didn't rush through it, as I had to take frequent breaks, but the satisfying gunplay and music kept me coming back (I didn't force myself to play).
I don't think many FPS's were being created like TS2 at that time. Games that I consider fair and without many trial and error scenarios, like Half Life, were released years before TS2.

So, if by the end you absolutely hate TimeSplitters 2, I say you should still give Future Perfect a try. :]

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I only played the first two, and it was a lllooonnnggg time ago. One thing I remember about the 2nd one was that I liked the boatload of characters there were for multiplayer. A friend of mine made a really fun map...ingenius in it's simplicity. It was simply a + with a small hall jutting off to the side of the tips for a spawn point and weapons. Other than that, it was just one massive crossfire - which is what he named the map - as you shoot at the person at the other end of the corridor from you. If you managed to take the center, there was body armor, allowing you to try to push forward and take someone's spawn. I swear, two double-barrle shotguns could fill one of those corridors with a wall of lead.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I LOVE it, I never actually owned it but I rented it (2 and 3) so many times that I must have spent at least 400 dollars on it, always great when people were around, 3 was very funny too, 2 was great but not really funny and 1 well I only played the PS1 version of 1 and it was weird it didn't seem to have any story just a mode in which you recovered an artifact and fought NPCs on the way, it was fun though and it was pretty great to see what levels came from the first game, regardless easily my favourite shooter of all time.

As for you're opinion, yes I did die a lot too but I didn't find it all that frustrating, the campaign for the 3rd one is probably the best just so you know, as for a 4th one I personaloly don't think they should since Future Perfect wraps up the story really good and therefore there's no need to continue it, I would love a re-release though I would pay 1000$ dollars for that an spiritual succesor would be fine too, it could have some of the same characters and levels in the multiplayer [small](Sort off how Perfect Dark had weapons and levels from Goldeneye)[/small], it could be pretty awesome but really my main issue is that there isn't a way to play the multiplayer online right now.

Also does anyone know if it's possible to play 8 or 16 player multiplayer using 4 copies and the Xbox's LAN cables? Because I would TOTALLY do that if possible.

AzureRaven

Jul 21, 2011
I only owned 2 and 3, but god they were just the most amazing FPS games I've ever played in my life. So much random goofy fun with diverse weapons, maps, and characters and by far on of the best multiplayer experiences I've had. I hope they hurry it up with 4.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Future Perfect is just what the title says: perfect.

The humor is great, multiplayer still holds up well because of bots (which is extremely lacking from most modern shooters), and the challenges are great fun (I love me some cat racin' and monkey curling).

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I had the second game for the Xbox, and it was really... unappealing. I mean, the multiplayer stuff was nifty but I never found myself enjoying the campaign, and nothing really stands out to me as particularly enjoyable.