Opinions on Whale Wars?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
direkiller said:
J Tyran said:
The Ady Gil was also without power and had been adrift for some time, again the captain of the Shonan Maru II either wanted to hit it or recklessly got close enough that a collision might have been the result.

Several experts have already given the verdict that while both Captains showed shoddy seamanship the collision was ultimately the fault of the Captain of the Shonan Maru II. Nothing was ever done because of the international waters thing.
1.no Radar whould not have made a collision alarm as the radar is on the top of the ship it suffers from the same blind spot.

2.The ship dose not have that great of viability. The height of that ship probably has about 200 foot blind spots around the entire front part of the ship.

3. It's job was to not make any change in direction as to not confuse the much smaller craft.

4. Spotters are nice and all but there is still a delay along with noise from heavy machinery it is rather hard to quntfy how you should move at best they can give round distance to an object like a dock.

5. The smaller craft had a wake it was under power

6. I would like to see those reports because all the offical ones are a wash or inconclusive.

7. Bethune(the pilot) posted an open letter to his Facebook page on October 6, 2010 in which he said that after colliding with the Shōnan Maru 2, Watson directed him to deliberately sink the Ady Gil for PR purposes.
1. The Ady Gil was adrift a mile or more ahead of the Bob Barker with the Shonan Maru II several miles behind the Bob Barker. They had plenty of time to see the ship and the RADAR could clearly see them.

2. The Shonan Maru II has superb visibility and taped evidence from the whalers themselves show that from the bridge they can see a boat as small as a gemini when only 2-3 meters from the bow.

3. Changing direction is exactly what they did to put them on a collision course in the first place, their heading was roughly the same as the Bob Barker but all the video evidence shows them changing onto a collision course.

4. The spotters on the Shonan Maru have radios so they can give accurate info to the Captain and helmsman at all times so they are aware of what the Sea Shepards are up to at all times. The whalers are not an uncoordinated cowboy outfit.

5. The Ady Gil was without power because they had run it out of fuel, which was incredibly stupid obviously.

6. The experts said that in documentary about the ongoing fracas in the Southern Ocean, you want to see it go find it yourself.

7. I cant say about Facebook, at the time the reason given for the Bob Barker cutting the Hulk of the Ady Gil loose was that it was sinking anyway and towing it was preventing from catching the whalers up.

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
South Park, that is my opinion. I believe that the whale wars people are attention grabbing idiots, but I hate the whaling industry as well, so I don't care I guess.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
J Tyran said:
direkiller said:
J Tyran said:
The Ady Gil was also without power and had been adrift for some time, again the captain of the Shonan Maru II either wanted to hit it or recklessly got close enough that a collision might have been the result.

Several experts have already given the verdict that while both Captains showed shoddy seamanship the collision was ultimately the fault of the Captain of the Shonan Maru II. Nothing was ever done because of the international waters thing.
1.no Radar whould not have made a collision alarm as the radar is on the top of the ship it suffers from the same blind spot.

2.The ship dose not have that great of viability. The height of that ship probably has about 200 foot blind spots around the entire front part of the ship.

3. It's job was to not make any change in direction as to not confuse the much smaller craft.

4. Spotters are nice and all but there is still a delay along with noise from heavy machinery it is rather hard to quntfy how you should move at best they can give round distance to an object like a dock.

5. The smaller craft had a wake it was under power

6. I would like to see those reports because all the offical ones are a wash or inconclusive.

7. Bethune(the pilot) posted an open letter to his Facebook page on October 6, 2010 in which he said that after colliding with the Shōnan Maru 2, Watson directed him to deliberately sink the Ady Gil for PR purposes.
1. The Ady Gil was adrift a mile or more ahead of the Bob Barker with the Shonan Maru II several miles behind the Bob Barker. They had plenty of time to see the ship and the RADAR could clearly see them.

2. The Shonan Maru II has superb visibility and taped evidence from the whalers themselves show that from the bridge they can see a boat as small as a gemini when only 2-3 meters from the bow.

3. Changing direction is exactly what they did to put them on a collision course in the first place, their heading was roughly the same as the Bob Barker but all the video evidence shows them changing onto a collision course.

4. The spotters on the Shonan Maru have radios so they can give accurate info to the Captain and helmsman at all times so they are aware of what the Sea Shepards are up to at all times. The whalers are not an uncoordinated cowboy outfit.

5. The Ady Gil was without power because they had run it out of fuel, which was incredibly stupid obviously.

6. The experts said that in documentary about the ongoing fracas in the Southern Ocean, you want to see it go find it yourself.

7. I cant say about Facebook, at the time the reason given for the Bob Barker cutting the Hulk of the Ady Gil loose was that it was sinking anyway and towing it was preventing from catching the whalers up.
the video you see from the whaling vessale is from over the rail or upper deck railing
the person that stearing the ship has a much more limited view
(something like this)

notice how you cant see directly over the front of the ship where something that small ship would be.

as for out of gas the Sea Shepards said all fuel was removed after the wreck "at great risk to the crew" no less. So they admit it had gas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SvMcqD439U
also there is video of the gas slick from the vessel

another thing, international waters dose not stop you from sueing. It would fall under the case of the CMI if they chould truly prove there case

un-named experts don't amount to a hill of beans. I suggest next time going to the source of the information rather then taking the documenty word for it because I seem to be able to point out mistakes you are making every single time.
You clearly have a conformation bias in this.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
As an Icelander who enjoys his whale meat, I side with the whalers.To be fair though, my opinion on the matter is heavily biased.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011

In all seriousness though, if the Japanese wish to hunt whales in their own oceans, for the purposes of eating them, that's perfectly fine.
So long as they do it in a sustainable manner, so that in the future they don't run out.
The environmentalist extremists ramming their boats are self-entitled pricks who deserve to have their boats sink in the Antarctic.
The same applies to the whalers that hunt outside Japanese waters.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
direkiller said:
I suggest next time going to the source of the information rather then taking the documenty word for it because I seem to be able to point out mistakes you are making every single time.
So then you will be able to tell me where I am wrong on this then, the crew of the Ady Gil where ondeck as they passed the Bob Barker and remained on deck up until the collision. The vessel was adrift that whole time with noone at the helm.

As for the rest of your post, Oil slick wise Marine engines burn lots of oil and that accounts for the oil slick. View wise (yet again) there are videos taken from the bridge and flying bridge showing how good the visibility is and they would have easily seen the ship until the instant before the impact. Not that it matters since they saw it from at least two miles away and definitely knew it was there.

There are two simple facts here.

1, the ship was not under power with the crew all on deck.
2, the whalers knew it was there with plenty of advance notice to avoid it.

Therefore the Shonan Maru 2 hit the Ady Gil either on purpose or out recklessness. Please try and claim how I have confirmation bias and dispute either of those very simple two points.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
I support the sea shepherds

**** you and your fake research hunting japan

and japan broke the batboat not the other way around :mad:

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
J Tyran said:
direkiller said:
I suggest next time going to the source of the information rather then taking the documenty word for it because I seem to be able to point out mistakes you are making every single time.
So then you will be able to tell me where I am wrong on this then, the crew of the Ady Gil where ondeck as they passed the Bob Barker and remained on deck up until the collision. The vessel was adrift that whole time with noone at the helm.

As for the rest of your post, Oil slick wise Marine engines burn lots of oil and that accounts for the oil slick. View wise (yet again) there are videos taken from the bridge and flying bridge showing how good the visibility is and they would have easily seen the ship until the instant before the impact. Not that it matters since they saw it from at least two miles away and definitely knew it was there.

Therefore the Shonan Maru 2 hit the Ady Gil either on purpose or out recklessness. Please try and claim how I have confirmation bias and dispute either of those very simple two points.
fine then
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5uptwYWeY8
at 16 seconds its engines turn on and it moves forward when it otherwise would have avoided the collision. by 18s it engiens are very noticbly on.
therefor 1 is wrong

2. all video evidice you gave or I can find seems to be of close quarters eater to document what is happening in case illegal activity takes place or to or to film for TV.
Witch points to they were in close quarters to do there activism gig

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
direkiller said:
J Tyran said:
direkiller said:

fine then
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5uptwYWeY8
at 16 seconds its engines turn on and it moves forward when it otherwise would have avoided the collision. by 18s it engiens are very noticbly on.
therefor 1 is wrong

2. all video evidice you gave or I can find seems to be of close quarters eater to document what is happening in case illegal activity takes place or to or to film for TV.
Witch points to they were in close quarters to do there activism gig
If the ship was adrift since before it passed the Bob Barker and the crew where on deck from then until the collision how did the engines power up? Magic perhaps?

Or maybe the sudden movement just before the collision was something more mundane like the phenomenon of ships exerting pulling forces on another, especially pronounced for high powered ships like the Shonan Maru II and its sisters and can be surprisingly powerful relative to the ships size.

dogenzakaminion

Jun 15, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
dogenzakaminion said:
I'm Norwegian, so I have to be pro-whaling. I am tho, basically because most people who are anti-whaling have no idea what it is about. As long as there are rules (which there are) to prevent excessive whaling and to protect species extinction. Japan does have a little less stringent system, but still.
Didn't the Norwegian Navy take a more militant stance against the Sea Shepherds? I recall seeing a video where a Norwegian patrol ship crossed the T against their ship and forced them off at cannon point.

EDIT. Found it.
Absolutely, and why wouldn't they? Random ship coming in to mess with completely legal whaling operations in Norwegian territory? Navy's gotta do their job protecting Norwegian interests. Do I think the response was overdone? Maybe, but the video doesn't show what Sea Shepherd did to provoke such a response, and considering my own knowledge of Norwegian politics and military use, I'm inclined to believe that Sea Shepherd must've done something to provoke a response like that.

For the record, I'm not saying illegal whaling doesn't happen, but that it's the job of the local forces to take action, not an NGO environmental group.

EDIT: The Sea Shepherd was showing the Norwegian flag illegally (not their first or last time to do so) and the Norwegian report claims that it was Sea Shepherd who rammed the Coastguard. That might also be biased, just pointing out how the response might've happened the way it did.

dogenzakaminion

Jun 15, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
They do a lot.

They ram fishing vessels of any kind.

They ram anything relating to the capture of tuna, especially.

They ram whalers.

They fuck with virtually the entire fishing industry. To a fishing nation like Norway, that is fucking with their bread and butter.
...I agree. Norway's second biggest export is fishing related products. They also lie about how much sabotage they really have done (claiming to have sunk ships that are still running today) and create false situations to make themselves look like victims. I was referring to the Andenes incident specifically (the one from the youtube clip).

The sustainability of fishing is a big problem though, I just think Sea Shepherds methods are so wrong the start crossing over into terrorism.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
As a fellow Japanese, I do not side with illegal whalers.
Also, whale meat is very rarely eaten in Japan, and most Japanese dont even know why these Whalers catch whale.
But it still is no reason to ram ships into people.
Both sides give Japanese and Australians a bad reputation, and being of both countries i just wish they would sit down and talk it out rather than ram things into each other.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I'm a fan of Whales, but from what I've seen of these guys they go too far into just being dangerous dicks. Same goes for PETA. I love animals. Some of them are quite delicious, but they do things like break into labs, and desecrate scientists' families graves. That's going too far.

Also I have been waiting, literally, years for this to be relevant:

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt18/freemind62/killer.jpg
God bless you Superboy!

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
Though I don't fully support the methods that Sea Shepard employ, I support their cause and am glad someone is taking action of one sort or another.

Omgsarge

May 11, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Its not that simple. A whaler can't suddenly become a technician or any other job.

Besides fishing, which is also in danger because of activism, whalers don't have the qualifications to do anything else.
Sure thats true and all but if an industry becomes economically infeasible because what it produces is not sought after any more in todays market then what will you do with it? What good is it if the average Japanese whaler can earn money when what he produces mostly rots away in warehouses? Japanese demand for whale meat, in a country where resistance against whaling is pretty low I imagine, is so low that it just keeps piling up.

And fishing in general in danger of activism? Are you telling me that this activism is unwarranted? Its just an response to there being less and less fishes fit for human consumption in the oceans. The fish population all over the world's oceans are declining. What good are a few jobs here and there if they will lose EVERYTHING when fish populations are collapsing everywhere because of massive overfishing?
http://wormlab.biology.dal.ca/ramweb/papers-total/nature01610_r.pdf
In order to allow the fish populations to recover, we HAVE to downsize our fishing fleets. Lost jobs, yes, but it also persevere the future of the industry. Its in everybody's interest.