Oregonian Invents Beer for Dogs

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Oregonian Invents Beer for Dogs

Dawg Grog lets canines share a love of beer with their owners.

People from Oregon, I don't get you. Believe me, I've tried. I don't know whether it's your preponderance of used bookstores, or your unusually delicious ice cream, or your insistence that shorts and a t-shirt are perfectly acceptable attire for a fancy party, but I'm beginning to think that there's something fundamentally incompatible between the mindsets of New Yorkers and Oregonians. Case in point: If a New Yorker likes beer and dogs, he'll probably drink a beer while petting his dog. If an Oregonian likes beer and dogs, he'll invent a brew especially for consumption by pooches. Dawg Grog is a beer that only a dog could love, and one town in Oregon is using it as a marketing tool.

The story began when Daniel Keeton, a brewer at Visit Bend [http://www.boneyardbeer.com/boneyardbeer/Boneyard_Beer.html], a local tourism board. "Two things that have become part of the Bend lifestyle are beer and dogs," says Doug LaPlaca, the organization's CEO. "So to create something that would take advantage of the two we thought was a brilliant idea."

Dawg Grog isn't the first or only Dawg Grog [http://bowserbeer.com/] website instead, where a six-pack will set you back $36. That's admittedly a lot more money than picking up a few bottles of Sam Adams or Yeungling, but your dog can probably talk you into it. We both know how well he or she pulls off the "sad puppy eyes" trick.

Source: KTVZ [http://www.ktvz.com/news/Pooch-hooch-Bend-beer-lover-creates-doggie-brew/-/413192/18030420/-/t9kle1/-/index.html?hpt=us_bn10]

Image: Dawg Grog

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Its cooler than music for cats [http://musicforcats.com/samples/spooks_ditty.mp3].

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Rogue 09 said:
I really really hate my state. Please don't judge all of us with this! It's really only people in Portland, Eugene, and Bend that are the problem... mostly.
Isn't that the majority of your state population?

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
Rogue 09 said:
I really really hate my state. Please don't judge all of us with this! It's really only people in Portland, Eugene, and Bend that are the problem... mostly.
I'd rather they judge our state with those cities than Meford, Grants Pass or Springfield.

Dog Beer is hilariously Oregonian!

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Unless Im missing something, Dog Beer has been around for ages. You can buy the stuff for like 80p a bottle here in the UK from places like Pets at Home.

Tastes foul though.

EDIT: Article even points out towards the end too that its not a first and still don't quite follow how this news article has popped up here :p

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Rogue 09 said:
Do explain please. No seriously, I'm legitimately curious. No sarcasm.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Great, what we just need, drunken dogs (that is if the owner is careless and given their dogs too much)!

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon has a reputation for oddity, but please do not knock Powell's Bookstore, that place is simply amazing. I watched an episode of "Portlandia" once, and as someone who grew up in Portland in the '90s, I seem to remember there being more meth dealers than that show represents.

In any event, at least Oregonians have personality. It is like Yahtzee said: "You may laugh at the bloke who thought he invented the parachute coat and threw himself off of the Eifle Tower, but what's history going to remember you for, funny man? that time you found a copy of Razzle in a hedge?"

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Ryan Hughes said:
In any event, at least Oregonians have personality. It is like Yahtzee said: "You may laugh at the bloke who thought he invented the parachute coat and threw himself off of the Eifle Tower, but what's history going to remember you for, funny man? that time you found a copy of Razzle in a hedge?"
To be honest I'd rather be forgotten by everyone than be remembered as the idiot who invented beer for dogs.

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
FelixG said:
Rogue 09 said:
Hey, dont mess with us Bend...ites? I live there and I didnt even know anything about this, Even I am considering this stupid as hell!
Never thought I'd find a fellow Bend citizen on this site.

Anyways, never even heard of this until now. Then again, I don't really read The Bulletin (Bend newspaper) that much at all.

CAPTCHA: "fairy tale"

Indeed it is.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Taking the term Man's Best Friend to a whole new level. Whether it's level up or down, I can't say.

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
FelixG said:
Wow, small world! how long ya lived in Bend? I have been here for a bit over a decade myself
19 years.

People seem to say how odd Oregon is. It really isn't compared to most states. Hell, the city we're in even has a game development studio owned by Sony, who created the Syphon Filter series and were commissioned by Naughty Dog to make the Uncharted games on the Vita. Small(er) world, ain't it?

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
Sorry to necro this thread but I have to say, what a small world! This dude and his ridiculous invention are from my amazing hometown. It is cool to see other people from Bend here as well.