Oscar-Winning Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman Dies at 46

jayzz911

Nov 9, 2010
martyrdrebel27 said:
thank you, finally. Roma gets it. And is apparently much less prone to violent outbursts, so thanks again. Drug addiction really is a tough hung for certain types of people to comprehend. I think, ultimately it comes down to an individual's ability to empathize and their own personal experiences. They need not even have been a drug addict, just be able to relate and equate it to a more familiar equally destructive and cyclical behavior pattern. It like I told the mod who warned me, saying you don't have sympathy for a dead drug addict is just like in the 80's when people said they didn't feel bad for gay people who had aids, if they didn't want aids, they shouldn't have been gay. Plus... Its like Hitler! (it wouldn't be a proper internet debate without someone comparing the other to Hitler)
I don't even... what? So you're saying drug addicts are the new gay people is that what I'm getting here? And if you judge them you are Hitler... Okay... The difference between gay people having a not that commonly known disease in the 80s from having anal intercourse or a drug addict that ODs is that one is a disease you got(and might I add a not so well known one in the 80s) and the other is something you chose to do that got out of hand. I can have sympathy for the poor man in the slums that does drugs because he feels so low from having a "crummy life" but not so much for someone that has several millions in the bank and does drugs because he wanted to at some point and now fell back into his old habit. That's not to say i have no sympathy mind you but nowhere near as much as I do for the people that use drugs because their lives are basicly barely worth being called lives. (and yes I do know addicts and knew people that have OD'd)

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Well, that's a thing I guess. I'm more interested to see what they do with the movies he was a part of. Something tells me they aren't going to be as quick to cancel The Hunger Games as they were with Fast and Furious...

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
martyrdrebel27 said:
ugh, I was all nice and calmed down, then you gotta come along and rekindle the relationship. Okay, first, I never said it was his own fault, my problem was with the guy saying "I don't feel bad for drug addicts." that's such a broad and cold sentiment, you'd have to have cut off a part of your humanity to actually mean. Have someone you care about deal with this and honestly fight to do better, hen you'll understand. Without that experience, you're unable to understand, and even more upsetting, unwilling to try. I really am shocked to see how uncompassionate people are acting about people with drug problems.
I wasn't trying to rekindle anything though, sorry if it turned out to sound like that, I was just trying to get what your actual point was, thanks for the reply btw.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Sarge034 said:
Well, that's a thing I guess. I'm more interested to see what they do with the movies he was a part of. Something tells me they aren't going to be as quick to cancel The Hunger Games as they were with Fast and Furious...
Except they haven't canceled Fast and Furious at all, so...

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Shocksplicer said:
Except they haven't canceled Fast and Furious at all, so...
Well it appears I didn't get the update. Last I heard the movie was "put on indefinite hold after his death." So let me rephrase. I'm curious to see if they simply recast his roll(s) or change the script to cut out his character.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
An amazing actor that will be missed, who died for an incredibly stupid reason. Please don't use harmful drugs, people. You know even without trying heroin that it's potentially deadly.

An amazing actor, a wonderful humanitarian.... all wasted because of a deadly drug. :(

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
ugh, I was all nice and calmed down, then you gotta come along and rekindle the relationship. Okay, first, I never said it was his own fault, my problem was with the guy saying "I don't feel bad for drug addicts." that's such a broad and cold sentiment, you'd have to have cut off a part of your humanity to actually mean. Have someone you care about deal with this and honestly fight to do better, hen you'll understand. Without that experience, you're unable to understand, and even more upsetting, unwilling to try. I really am shocked to see how uncompassionate people are acting about people with drug problems.
Hey, how about this... you want to feel sorry for someone? Feel sorry for his wife and three kids he left behind with his stupid decision. Yeah lets take a moment and remember he had others that DEPENDED on him, which he apparently didn't care enough to factor in while shooting up. You can have sympathy for him all you like, but don't for a minute think that everyone has to just because you do. That is YOUR opinion, just like the people saying they don't have sympathy for a drug addict is THEIR opinion.

Again, Pot meet kettle. Why don't you take your own advice and try and take a moment to understand someone with a different experience to yours.

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
again, you're proving your thickheadedness and revealing your need to be contradictory rather than an actual participant in this discussion. You're telling the person who has personally lost people to drug addiction that they aren't considering the impact it has on the survivors... Just stop dude, you are obviously out of your wheelhouse and in over your head. When I have a question about Red XIII I'll be sure to turn to you, but this here, just isn't your fight, and you have no interest in learning about it, so your presence is useless at best and irresponsibly socially backward at worst. You have no idea how much damage you could be doing to an addict who sees your lack of compassion and understanding.
Hahaha... Did you seriously just judge my knowledge based on the profile avatar I have on a forum? (You realize this is a gaming/techy/comic/tv community and most people here have avatar pictures of video game / comic / tv characters right?) You are going to sit there and criticize me for my opinion on a subject and claim I'm not participating in a conversation because I don't agree with you, and point out the hypocrisy in your posts?

Listen, I don't care who you are... I don't care about whatever past you've gone through that makes you think that your opinion on the subject is the only view point that is valid in this situation. You have no idea of my past, of my loss in relation to drugs. Just because I don't share your "Woes is them the helpless addict" doesn't make me wrong.

You don't want a discussion... you want to have your pity party on a forum and expect everyone to follow suit. Well you know what... SCREW THAT. As I said, you are more than welcome to feel sympathy for him, and mourn his loss, and say he was a tragic victim of addiction, that is your opinion.

I am going to continue to feel sympathy for those he left behind, those he didn't care enough about when he selfishly lost himself in drugs again. For those who have to continue living their lives without him, because he couldn't be bothered to live his life WITH them.

Pot, meet Kettle... Stop being such a hypocrite and realize that there is more than just your opinion in the world.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Demagogue said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
again, you're proving your thickheadedness and revealing your need to be contradictory rather than an actual participant in this discussion. You're telling the person who has personally lost people to drug addiction that they aren't considering the impact it has on the survivors... Just stop dude, you are obviously out of your wheelhouse and in over your head. When I have a question about Red XIII I'll be sure to turn to you, but this here, just isn't your fight, and you have no interest in learning about it, so your presence is useless at best and irresponsibly socially backward at worst. You have no idea how much damage you could be doing to an addict who sees your lack of compassion and understanding.
Hahaha... Did you seriously just judge my knowledge based on the profile avatar I have on a forum? (You realize this is a gaming/techy/comic/tv community and most people here have avatar pictures of video game / comic / tv characters right?) You are going to sit there and criticize me for my opinion on a subject and claim I'm not participating in a conversation because I don't agree with you, and point out the hypocrisy in your posts?

Listen, I don't care who you are... I don't care about whatever past you've gone through that makes you think that your opinion on the subject is the only view point that is valid in this situation. You have no idea of my past, of my loss in relation to drugs. Just because I don't share your "Woes is them the helpless addict" doesn't make me wrong.

You don't want a discussion... you want to have your pity party on a forum and expect everyone to follow suit. Well you know what... SCREW THAT. As I said, you are more than welcome to feel sympathy for him, and mourn his loss, and say he was a tragic victim of addiction, that is your opinion.

I am going to continue to feel sympathy for those he left behind, those he didn't care enough about when he selfishly lost himself in drugs again. For those who have to continue living their lives without him, because he couldn't be bothered to live his life WITH them.

Pot, meet Kettle... Stop being such a hypocrite and realize that there is more than just your opinion in the world.
okay.

damn low content post rules. Now I gotta filibuster for a second. I still think you're wrong, but it really doesn't matter. What matters is how this situation is handle on the social stage, and more and more society is coming to understand and empathize with addicts, and people with other types of mental disorders that were previously seen as weakness of character or whatever. I don't know why I thought I could change a single mind, especially in the cyber environment.

oh, and as for the red xiii thing, no I wasn't judging your entire.personality based on that, I took ONE single thing that I knew you were I to and used it to make my point. I probably could've clicked your profile, looked at that and found something you were WAAAY into, but that seems like a lot pointlessness that I'm not that interested in. I'm not particularly invested in your opinion on anything, its the idea that such uncompassionate feelings exist in humanity that bothers me. I dunno, I wish people were nicer to each other. Myself included. The difference is that as you see above, I was caught up in anger at perceived social injustices, and admitted I over reacted. But some people are just mean by default, on a personality level, just uncaring and selfish.

Roma

Feb 12, 2012
Demagogue said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Hey, how about this... you want to feel sorry for someone? Feel sorry for his wife and three kids he left behind with his stupid decision. Yeah lets take a moment and remember he had others that DEPENDED on him, which he apparently didn't care enough to factor in while shooting up. You can have sympathy for him all you like, but don't for a minute think that everyone has to just because you do. That is YOUR opinion, just like the people saying they don't have sympathy for a drug addict is THEIR opinion.

Again, Pot meet kettle. Why don't you take your own advice and try and take a moment to understand someone with a different experience to yours.
This is a commom strategy when dehumanizing a certain group of people. I don't mean this as an offense, it's just that, when you tell someone 'look at the real victims', you're also saying 'stop feeling sorry for the bad guy', as if he was less of a person for having died. For having a disease, and having made a mistake of starting to use in the first place. Drug Addiction does not have a definitive cure. What we can do is control it, and try to keep it at bay, but people fall off the wagon constantly, because that's just the way it works. Guy was clean for 23 years. 23 years. And truth is, addicts can be good people and bad people, but the fact that they have a condition does not in any way diminish them, despite society's intention to do so. His family is suffering, they are victims, but the central point here is that they are ALSO victims.

You can try to find the bad guy here: the dealer, the suppliers, the misinformation spread by the war on drugs, but truly, this is just a fucking tragedy. We're all grown-ups, let's stop looking for villains and heroes in our daily lives and face the gray area.