Oscar-Winning Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman Dies at 46

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Oscar-Winning Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman Dies at 46

Capote and Hunger Games actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his New York home due to an apparent drug overdose.

Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman most know for his portrayal of Truman Capote in Capote and last seen in the Hunger Games: Catching Fire, has been found dead in his New York apartment of an apparent drug overdose at 11:30 a.m. today. According to to law enforcement officials, Hoffman, 46, was found by a friend, screenwriter David Katz, who had become concerned that he was not able to get in touch with Hoffman.

Officials mention that investigators found a syringe in the actor's arm and an envelope containing what's believed to be heroin. "It's pretty apparent that it was an overdose..The syringe was in his arm," an unnamed official said. The actor's hardships with substance abuse has been well documented, with Hoffman talking in interviews about "falling off the wagon" last year after being clean for 23 years.

Hoffman rose to fame with the 2005 film, Capote, where he played the titular role, and won an Academy Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of the writer. He was set to reprise his role as Plutarch Heavensbee in the next entries in the Hunger Games films, Mockingjay Part 1 and 2, which is set to hit theaters in November 2014 and 2015 respectively.

Source: The New York Times [http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/03/movies/philip-seymour-hoffman-actor-dies-at-46.html?_r=1]

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Before anyone says, "One person, etc.", this is extremely sad. Great actor and entertainer. He used his celebrity for good and did a ton for charities. To me, he's one of the few. This is a sad day.

Sep 14, 2009
PeePantz said:
Before anyone says, "One person, etc.", this is extremely sad. Great actor and entertainer. He used his celebrity for good and did a ton for charities. To me, he's one of the few. This is a sad day.
yepp, and I feel that his role in along came polly is always foreshadowedforgotten by his other big movies...Personally I found him hilarious in that movie.

OT: sad day, good man, great actor, legacy that still had tons of time to do even more.

edit: used the word foreshadow there, and it made absolutely no sense, derp.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
gmaverick019 said:
PeePantz said:
yepp, and I feel that his role in along came polly is always foreshadowed by his other big movies...Personally I found him hilarious in that movie.

OT: sad day, good man, great actor, legacy that still had tons of time to do even more.
God! I love that movie because of him! Iceman!! Raindance! Sad day indeed.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I don't have much sympathy for drug addicts, but this is sad nonetheless.

Admittedly, I do wonder if his filming for Mockingjay was finished or not.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
You guys are forgetting The Big Lebowski and his very first role in Law and Order in the very first season in the same episode with Samuel L Jackson.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Mahorfeus said:

Apparently his scenes for part one are done. As for part two, we'll just have to wait and see.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Damn I've loved him in every role i've seen him in even that so bad its good performance in MI:3. Doubt was great and The Master was awesome.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
martyrdrebel27 said:
Mahorfeus said:

I know I'm gonna get in trouble for this, but go fuck yourself you self-righteous twat. You have no idea the pain and struggle that not only leads people to become drug addicts, but that they also go through as drug addicts. In that one sentence you've proven yourself to be a far worse person that any drug addict I've ever known or lost. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you dismiss their life and death. And furthermore, to then acknowledge he had value as a person while simultaneously devaluing him as a drug addict just goes to show that you have no real cohesive opinion, but instead a reactionary catch phrase when presented with ideas outside of your own embarrassingly small world view.
I don't mean to become a part of this debate, but I just have to say, not all drug addicts are full of pain and suffering. The universe isn't that poetic. Most drug users I have ever known in my life do that crap just to get high. Insert "Smoke weed everyday" soundbite here etc. etc.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
I guess the odds weren't in his favour

I am so sorry but it had to be done

in all seriousness 46 is way too young to go, especially for an actor as good as him

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Christ, this ruined my day. I really wish for once an actor or musician that dies young isn't one I really loved and appreciated. I mean not to seriously wish it because death like that is always sad but why can't it be someone like Shia Labouff where his movies won't be exactly missed by everyone... this is terrible news. RIP man

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
GenGenners said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Mahorfeus said:

I know I'm gonna get in trouble for this, but go fuck yourself you self-righteous twat. You have no idea the pain and struggle that not only leads people to become drug addicts, but that they also go through as drug addicts. In that one sentence you've proven yourself to be a far worse person that any drug addict I've ever known or lost. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you dismiss their life and death. And furthermore, to then acknowledge he had value as a person while simultaneously devaluing him as a drug addict just goes to show that you have no real cohesive opinion, but instead a reactionary catch phrase when presented with ideas outside of your own embarrassingly small world view.
I don't mean to become a part of this debate, but I just have to say, not all drug addicts are full of pain and suffering. The universe isn't that poetic. Most drug users I have ever known in my life do that crap just to get high. Insert "Smoke weed everyday" soundbite here etc. etc.
you're absolutely right. But a few things here. One: we should never assume that drug addicts are a victim of their own nihilistic hedonism and instead either assume they had demons or not make judgments about their character at all. Two: think of the context of this story, a man who had everything going for him, had no reason to use, yet 25 years clean, couldn't stop himself. Now imagine carrying that demon with you for that long. It is an everyday struggle, especially im his position where he always had the money, you know he had he access. And he fought it off for so long. Even if he didn't start for tragic reasons, his struggle is not something anyone should dare judge him for. He was some strung out junkie fuckinnover friends and family...

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
God dammit. Just two days ago I was laughing myself stupid at his "sharted" line in Along Came Polly.

So long, PSH.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
It's always very sad when drugs claim another victim. I thank actors and musicians for my avoidance of drugs.

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
Mahorfeus said:

And furthermore, to then acknowledge he had value as a person while simultaneously devaluing him as a drug addict just goes to show that you have no real cohesive opinion, but instead a reactionary catch phrase when presented with ideas outside of your own embarrassingly small world view.
You mean kind of like your reactionary catch phrase to his comment... Hello Pot, this is Kettle.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
martyrdrebel27 said:
Mahorfeus said:

Self-righteous? Get over yourself. You see it fit to judge me for my opinions - having no idea how or why I might have them - while simultaneously telling me that I have no right to judge this man's decisions in life?

He could have been the greatest guy ever for all I know. He had people who loved him, adored him, and who will now miss him. But I have every right to individually acknowledge both his accomplishments and mistakes in life, and judge them accordingly. We all do. And when I'm dead and gone, I expect others to do the same for me.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I never really saw that many of his films but the ones I did see I loved. Especially Synecdoche, New York. He was a very talented actor. Sad that he is gone.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
So... was it suicide? It wasn't, right? I mean drug overdose doesn't kill instantly so he'd have pulled that syringe out of his arm if he wasn't high beforehand, or does it?