Oslo Murders Lead to Calls For Game Bans in Australia

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Oslo Murders Lead to Calls For Game Bans in Australia

The Australian Christian Lobby is calling for a ban on violent videogames in the wake of the Oslo massacre, but the government says it's unreasonable to blame games for the behavior of a "madman."

As expected, the horrific mass murder in Norway last week that claimed the lives of 76 people was linked, however tenuously, to videogames, as the killer referred to World of Warcraft [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-2-Pc/dp/B00269QLJ2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1311697705&sr=8-6] is a great cover for more subversive activities. That's enough of a connection for Australian Christian Lobby Managing Director Jim Wallace, who said that any game that can push even just a few nutcases "over the edge" should be banned.

"The studied indifference of this killer to the suffering he was inflicting, his obvious dehumanizing of his victims and the evil methodical nature of the killings have all the marks of games scenarios," Wallace told the Sydney Morning Herald [http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/games/from-fantasy-to-lethal-reality-breivik-trained-on-modern-warfare-game-20110725-1hw41.html]. "How can we allow the profits of the games industry and selfishness of games libertarians to place our increasingly dysfunctional society at further risk? Even if this prohibition were to save only one tragedy like this each twenty years it would be worth it."

But Federal Home Affairs Minister Brendan O'Connor, who has pushed hard for an R18+ videogame rating for the country in recent months, said the Oslo murders would not change his support for a mature rating and also had some surprisingly level-headed comments about the purported connection between videogames and real-world violence.

"Look, because there is a madman who has done just such atrocities in Norway, I don't think that means that we are going to close down film or the engagement with games," he said. "I think it really points to, of course, a person who - clearly there is something wrong with this person to sort of cause such devastation in Norway. But I'm not sure that the argument goes that as a result of watching a game you turn into that type of person. I think there is something clearly intrinsically wrong with him."

Does it seem weird to anyone else that it's an Australian politician who's going on record saying that videogames do not turn sane people into mass murderers? And he's not the only one; a representative for New South Wales Attorney-General Greg Smith, who abstained from the recent SCAG vote on mature game ratings, promised that the state's forthcoming support for the rating wouldn't be derailed by the murders.

"On the reporting to date there has been no evidence that this game was causative of this man's appalling actions. It appears this very disturbed man formed his murderous intention before playing this computer game," the rep said. "The bigger concern is his history of active hunting, with high powered weapons, rather than his playing computer games."

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Does it seem weird to anyone else that it's an Australian politician who's going on record saying that videogames do not turn sane people into mass murderers? And he's not the only one; a representative for New South Wales Attorney-General Greg Smith, who abstained from the recent SCAG vote on mature game ratings, promised that the state's forthcoming support for the rating wouldn't be derailed by the murders.
If you actually knew about Australian politics you would know that actually few Australian politicians are/have been against M-rated games.

It just happens that their system requires an unanimous decision and therefore a couple of politicians were able to hold back M-rated games for the whole country.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
jackanderson said:
Cooler heads prevailing? What madness is this!?
Agreed. Politicians agreeing that videogames don't turn people into murderers is something refreshing to hear.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
Guess that when dealing with the fallout of a self-proclaimed Knight-Templar who wants to redo the crusades, this Christian group has decided that the best defense is a good offense. That or they have the angry letters ready, just waiting to fill in the names and dates of the latest tragedy to mark it as a prime example of what video games cause.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
A Christian Group is calling for the bannings of video games because a fundamentalist Christian commit an act of terror upon Muslims?

I don't understand.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Hmmm, I liked Castlevania.... think I should go kill some kids... I mean VAMPIRES!

OT: They are just using this as an excuse for holding back something that only the Australian government wants.

"The bigger concern is his history of active hunting, with high powered weapons, rather than his playing computer games."
I would say that he was mentally unstable and that is the biggest concern. What he did with his free time is completely irrelevant. Just more excuses as to how it's not the guys fault for his own actions. "It must be GAMES!".... "it must be his love of HUNTING".... all these things are complete bollocks in the face of what happened. Everyone should be concerned with the fact he was indifferent enough to blow up Oslo, then kill a camp of children from the Labor Party. There is no way he is stable or sane.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
"Christian Extremist plays games in his spare time when not planning mass murder."
Not "Extremist Gamer goes to church on Sunday when not planning mass murder."

Planning mass murder and carrying it out is already quite illegal so I think it would be much safer to ban Christianity in Australlia instead of Videogames, after all videogames wasnt his motivation.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Well of course MW2 didn't make him into a psycho.

The guy said himself Modern Warfare was his 'training regime'. In order for it to be his training for the atrocities he'd have to have actively decided he wanted to kill all these people...

Argument over in my opinion.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
I'm not sure if he meant that hunting made him do these killing any more than games did. It's just that one of these hobbies leaves you with the skill and tools for a massacre. The other leaves you with RSI.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
he was a fundie chrisitan also, they should ban religion

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
This is what is commonly known as: "Over-reaction".

Besides, if games are banned in Austrailia, how will Yahtzee Crowshaw review them?! D:

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
Absolutionis said:
A Christian Group is calling for the bannings of video games because a fundamentalist Christian commit an act of terror upon Muslims?

I don't understand.
It's the same sneaky little tactic that fundamentalist Muslims try to use when divorcing themselves from extremists, they try to find another source to blame besides the hateful dogma and rhetoric they spout.

Aug 25, 2009
Alright Australian Christian Lobby, you can ban videogames, but only if you ban literature, music and the Bible as well. (I suspect films would also go, but I don't know enough details.)

Mark Chapman shot John Lennon after reading Catcher in the Rye and listening to Helter Skelter. Thus by your logic, any form of media which could lead to someone killing people should be banned. Goodbye all books and music.

And do I even need to explain about the Bible? More people have killed in the name of God on this miserable little planet than there are stars in the sky. Your religion has a bodycount that outdoes the Nazis, by your logic.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
I heard he ate breakfast every morning, so I propose we ban that! Those evil Choco Krispies shall plague our world no more

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Does it seem weird to anyone else that it's an Australian politician who's going on record saying that videogames do not turn sane people into mass murderers?
Well.....no because only a very few vocal have expressed their disregards towards it, the only real ones are the ACL (who don't hold ANY power over here) and maybe 1 or 2 other politicians.

As I said in another thread about this. Clicking buttons on a controller or keyboard, doesn't have the same effect as actually shooting people, as O'Connor said, this guy had a screw loose.