Oslo Murders Lead to Calls For Game Bans in Australia

yookiwooki

Dec 3, 2010
The Australian Christian Lobby needs to grab a big tall glass of STFU.

By their logic it would make more sense to ban Christianity. The gunman committed the murders with the intention of starting a Christian crusade against Muslim immigrants in Europe. They take a manifesto FULL of Christianity inspired bigotry, pull out this one mention of a videogame, and then run wild with it.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Hey, did anyone try to ban books after a Catcher in the Rye fanboy murdered a president? Did anyone try to censor Jodie Foster after one of her fanboys shot Reagan?
No?
But the way they latched onto Modern Warfare 2 makes the Columbine/Doom link seem reasonable. Do they even know anything beyond "Some murderer mentioned a video game?"

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
I feel kinda bad for the Australian people.... Your old man government feels it needs to ban and block everything...

Like youre one of those countries with...big issues....

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
K V MAN said:
Grospoliner said:
Absolutionis said:
A Christian Group is calling for the bannings of video games because a fundamentalist Christian commit an act of terror upon Muslims?

I don't understand.
It's the same sneaky little tactic that fundamentalist Muslims try to use when divorcing themselves from extremists, they try to find another source to blame besides the hateful dogma and rhetoric they spout.

i believe the word your looking for is EXTREMIST muslims. fundamentalist Muslims are the good guys, they are the ones sitting in a cafe reading a book minding there own business and not thinking of how to blow up people.
Well I meant fundamentalist in the same pejorative sense. The same sense as fundamentalist Christians who tend to be inflammatory in their rhetoric. Like the Muslim immigrants in Britain that hold up signs saying British Police go to hell. The passive-aggressive types who approve of hate crimes against individuals for being different.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
They should ban politics, since that's obviously what made this guy kill so many people. While we're at it, why don't we ban cars too? Oh, and lets not forget religion.

Kizi

Apr 29, 2011
SoopaSte123 said:
I heard he ate breakfast every morning, so I propose we ban that! Those evil Choco Krispies shall plague our world no more
You, good sir, made me laugh. A hypothetical cookie for thou!

OT: I saw this coming. However, what I did not see coming was another politician actually defending our beloved industry to some point.

This actually, though very unrelated, reminds me of something that happened in my country, Iceland. There was a type of candy on the market and they later found out that if you ate 20 full bathtubs of this candy every single day for 3 months straight, it could give you cancer.
They banned it.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Now you know whats scary? jack Thompson is going to see this, go on a shooting spree 9or get someone to do it for him) and suddenly (try to) profit on this same argument against games.

Jacksaw Jack

Mar 17, 2011
Religion has people more out of touch with reality than games ever will. It's all (and I mean ALL) nothing more than sick tribal fetishes that perpetrate hate, bigotry and violence.

How many are murdered each year by "people" brainwashed from youth to worship some magical space wizard and hate, kill or do worse to others just because they're different or because their magical space wizard wears a different style of robe.

Abolish religion, and drop this whole emphasis on "race". We're human, we're a species. Get over yourselves motherfuckers, 'cuz in the end, we all rot one way or another.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Wait, how many copies of Modern Warfare 2 sold around the world? How many people are playing World of Warcraft and being brainwashed as we speak? Are you telling me there are millions of people in this world ready to go at murdering everyone else?! Oh the humanity!

Please. Gaming had as much to with this guy's actions as D&D and Rock and Roll, which is to say nothing.

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
Um, whut?

I thought you Australians had the most tyrannical video game laws this side of the Spanish Inquisition.

Who are you and what have you done to the Australian Gvmt?

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
Absolutionis said:
A Christian Group is calling for the bannings of video games because a fundamentalist Christian commit an act of terror upon Muslims?

I don't understand.
To be frank, no real christian would be this petty, or that violent.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
KAPTAINmORGANnWo4life said:
I love the Internet. It's where I can find out that everything I hold dear (Christianity, Video Games, Politics, My Country) has a sizable force raised against it by either teenage pricks who think church is boring, and are therefore loud and obnoxious anti-theists (despite the fact that Christianity and Islam are the only two religions I've ever seen bitching about); or misguided extremist political figures giving the whole political system a bad name.
Agreed, it's hard enough being a gamer AND a christian without having the people who are supposed to be supporting your point of view trying to stone you for being one or the other.

Feels like Romeo and Juliet...I swear...I feel like Romeo and Juliet had a kid, that was me, and ended up walking into the feud...so since technically I'm both they should allow me to be neutral, but NO they both want to kill me!

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
I do believe people with mental problems should not play violent video games. However, this does not mean that everyone should suffer just because a politician thinks he is the only "normal" person on the planet.

yaik7a

Aug 9, 2009
It's funny when its the Religious right tries to blame games even though it was mostly Right Wing Religious politics the motivated this attack. (I only say that because the people making that statement have the word christian in its name)

HavoK 09

Apr 1, 2010
we should ban the bible aswell, it has stories where a man killed is brother to be prefered by god and such

yes its an argument a bit too close of the edge but thats the same case of banning video games or movies, acts of violence arent different when you read it or see it.

all of these either real or fictional coulndt have become reality if it wasnt part of our behaviour, one of the oldest in fact, what changes man from beast it the fact that we can control ourselves

The best we can do to avoid it is to expose our kids to it and tell them that in real life they should be avoided at all costs, lack of exposure can be dangerous aswell.