Other M Made Metroid Co-Creator Cry

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Other M Made Metroid Co-Creator Cry

Can a game make you cry? If the game is Metroid: Other M, and you're series co-creator Yoshio Sakamoto, the answer is yes.

While each individual game has its own specific nuances, the story in the Metroid series has always been something along the lines of: "You are Samus Aran, you are on a strange planet. Go blow some space pirates up and get item upgrades. Have fun!"

Team Ninja's upcoming Metroid: Other M, on the other hand, is clearly aiming for a more story-driven experience - with over two hours of cutscenes that are compiled into one long watchable movie upon completion of the game. It also features at least one scene that made series co-creator Yoshio Sakamoto well up with tears, according to the latest installment of "Iwata Asks." [http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/metroid-other-m/vol1_page1.jsp]

Speaking with Nintendo's big boss Satoru Iwata, the game's cutscene director Ryuzi Kitaura discussed how Sakamoto would come watch him shoot live-action motion capture footage for the in-game cinematics. Now, given that it was mere motion capture, it was a rather austere process: "[Since] these were temporary cinematics, we were asking him to shoot things like Samus in tights, or polystyrene creatures, and there was no set to speak of." And yet, even this bare minimum was enough to inspire a bit of emotion.

"[Sakamoto] stood close to me, checking the monitors. When we'd shoot a particularly moving scene, I'd ask him 'How was that, Sakamoto-san?', but he'd be completely silent - again ... I was really worried, thinking 'Oh no, he doesn't like it...', but then when I peeked at his face, his eyes were full of tears."

Sounds moving, right? On the other hand, Kitaura jokingly offered another explanation for the tears: "Well, the cinematic did show Samus in tights."

(Via ONM [http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=19277])

Zetsubou

Sep 14, 2009
I wasn't sure how the fleshed-out story would shape up for Other M, but it sounds like this is gonna be one great game.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Ratchet and Clank made me cry. When it was over. I was like seven years old.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Apparently you can't move around in first person view. If that's the case, the game is completely broken.

omega247

Apr 12, 2010
Soylent Bacon said:
Oh, thank God. When I read the title, I thought it meant that it was so far against his original creation that it made him cry. Glad it's a good game.
Me too, panic over! Think this might have to be a purchase *dusts off Wii*

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Huh...Samus in tights made Sakamoto cry...y'know, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

oranger

May 27, 2008
From what I can see, they're basically just floozying Samus up, which is NOT FUCKING COOL.
She is one of the last strong female leads.