"Other OS" Lawsuits Combine Into Single Mega-Suit

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
"Other OS" Lawsuits Combine Into Single Mega-Suit

Two heads are better than one, right? Well seven heads are even better than that.

The recent removal of the "Other OS" option from the PlayStation 3 went down badly with some people, so much so that seven class action lawsuits [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100336-Sony-Sued-Over-Other-OS-Option] were brought against Sony over it. Now, at the request of "all counsel," the lawsuits have been combined into a single complaint.

A document obtained by Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/07/sony-now-facing-single-class-action-for-ps3-other-os-removal-action-in-ps3-other-os-removal.ars] said that all seven cases were essentially the same: That Sony had falsely represented the PS3 by removing a feature that it had previously advertised as an advantage over its competitors. The document also stated that the judge had ordered three San Francisco law firms to act as co-lead counsel for the case.

The consolidation of the suits into a single complaint makes it much simpler from a legal point of view, and it seems unlikely that Sony is going to be able to mount a reasonable defense in this case. It could argue the point that it removed the option due to guard against piracy, but having a reason for the move won't necessarily protect it from having to offer some sort of compensation to consumers. The first court date is set for some time in September, for the parties to discuss the next steps in the case.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/07/sony-now-facing-single-class-action-for-ps3-other-os-removal-action-in-ps3-other-os-removal.ars]

laryri

May 19, 2008
Removing the Other OS option to prevent privacy is like banning torrent services to prevent piracy. Sure it may be a common application of the feature but it has other uses too.

Jebusetti

Jan 12, 2010
If I had a dollar for each time the Escapist used a screenshot from that game to accompany a legal story, I'd have a crapload of dollars

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
They merge and evolve into "Super Sue! The ability to rip money straight from your coroporate machine!"

Heh, this should be intresting, now often "All Counsel" is put into effect...ive expected thos to happen on the whole google problem, but not this, heh

Thingo

Aug 14, 2008
Here's hoping sony will admit they did something stupid, bring back the feature and sack the arse who came up with this idea.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
What? Lawsuits are evolving?!
(Pokemon Evolution theme)

(DO DO DOO DOODOODOOdoodoodooDOODOODOODOOOOOOOOOOOO)
Lawsuits evolved into Class-Action Suit!

Class Action Suit learned subpoena!

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
psrdirector said:
and torrent has no other use besides pirating
I've used torrents for things other than pirating copyrighted materials.

I'm glad this is moving forward. I do hope it ends some time in the reasonably foreseeable future, but I'm worried that their anti-piracy defense just might hold up given the current climate which would lead to a lot of problems. Combating piracy is the new "think of the children."

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
I love these kind of lawsuits against companies that did something stupid.
My question is that if they win, what will happen next.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
compensation? like what money they lost on buying the ps3 course all they bought it for was the other OS system...
So Sony just have to give em like what the bought it for, but since this is the US they will most likely have to give a lot more than that...

I'm sorry but I just think that US (court system or what it is called?) is silly.

(I might very well be wrong, with what this is all about.)

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
i want an "Other OS" option! my PC broke so im reduced to using the awkward PS3 browser for my web surfin!

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
psrdirector said:
I own a ps3, I dont give two shits about the feature what so ever. and torrent has no other use besides pirating
-> Blizzard uses torrents to update some of their products??? <-
[why do so many poeple ignore that in the first place :/ ? *anti-blizzard-fanboy*]

on topic: I think its a good decision to put it all together, but on the other hand, why is it still running? Sony has no chance to win this case, they need to put the feature back in because they cant afford to compensate every single ps3 owner.
well, at least from my point of view.