Other people's opinions you just can't accept! Everybody gets one!

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
People who bemoan how "humanity sucks" and "people are awful" and "this world is a terrible place." No, this world is just a place. We just hear about the stupid, awful shit that happens because (conspiracy theory-ish thing incoming) that's what people will read. More people--in probably every single demographic on earth--will click on a headline that says "Obama okays straight up killing people who 'look like terrorists'" than one that says "local man talks down an armed robber" if the two headlines are juxtaposed. Or a better comparison, "Woman lies comatose in street for hours before someone calls 911" will instantly get noticed, where "Passerby sees woman lying comatose in street, tries to divert traffic around her, calls 911" will probably not get clicked on despite the fact that such things probably happen with at least equal frequency.

And yes, everyone points to "well what about this war or that war or the Holocaust etc etc." And they completely ignore things like "what about every movement Gandhi led, what about Martin Luther King Jr., what about free clinic doctors, etc etc". It's almost a willful ignorance of the fact that people are, just as often as not, not absolutely terrible, evil human beings. You just don't hear about it as much, because the effects of evil (primarily the destruction, in whatever form, that is causes) are so much more jarring because they're such a change from the status quo. Doctors working in a free clinic or volunteering to help distribute vaccines in impoverished areas is every bit as noble and good as a shooting spree is evil and abhorrent. But shooting sprees don't happen all the time, and doctors are almost always working at free clinics or distributing vaccines or the like somewhere on earth at any given time, so it's no surprise when one continues to do so. Basically, we only hear about all the bad shit people do because it's so unusual and so ridiculously far outside the norm: if people being good and kind and caring were as rare/nonexistant as some people want to insist that it is, we'd probably have news headlines a bit more cluttered with such things, even considering how many people would click such headlines in comparison to the bad ones.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Jack the Potato said:
What are opinions of other people you encounter in your life that you can't bring yourself to say "well I'll just have to accept it" and instead flat out REFUSE to see how anyone could think that way?

Lemme just go ahead and BAR the easy ones like racism and also any that are political or religious (go to Religion and Politics for that shit).

And please, let's keep it civil here. Let's pretend our caps lock keys don't exist in this thread. :p

For me:

That Dominos is ever an acceptable place to get pizza from if there are other options. Don't even bother telling me you like Dominos, because that's incorrect. Dominos is inferior to just about every pizza place I've ever been to barring one or two. It's... edible I guess, but I don't care if it's a couple bucks cheaper, I will always be willing to pay a few bucks more for pizza that isn't shit. Their buffalo wings are awful too. Dry and over-breaded and lacking on sauce. Bleck. I will never accept that anyone considers Dominos to be worthwhile, and nothing anyone can say will convince me to do so.

EDIT: Changed the title to be more clear.
If you work there, you can't afford pizza anywhere else. Tip your delivery guys, people.

as for me, it is that feces are in any way sexually appealing. If you have let someone take a dump on you, or vice versa, you are not okay in my book. I will avoid you from now on

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
I'll try and keep it relevant to gaming and say that the opinion that "Enemy scaling in RPGs is a bad thing" is something I find hard to accept.

I honestly don't know why you wouldn't want to have enemies scale with your level. It keeps the game fresh and a challenge throughout. Not having enemy scaling creates an artificial feeling of progression based upon numbers instead of player skill. A recent example of this is Dragon's Dogma. There is seemingly no enemy-scaling and it makes the game far too easy as a consequence. When you first fight a Chimera it's a challenge and can be a long battle but as soon as you hit higher levels you can kill one within seconds which feels like a real waste of a cool enemy. I want to feel like I've progressed because I've learnt the mechanics of the game and the weaknesses of the enemies. Levelling up in an RPG should be about getting access to a greater variety of skills, weapons and armour sets, and it is that variety which allows you to progress and find battles with previous enemies that little bit easier.

Of course enemy scaling won't work in every circumstance, but games like Dragon's Dogma could have seriously done with some.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Any justification for bigotry and discrimination, I just cannot accept it. Even though I do generally try to accept other peoples opinions I draw the line there.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
http://www.molleindustria.org/everydaythesamedream/everydaythesamedream.html

Why do people like this game? Okay, I get it, there are undertones, but is there anything else? Anything. All you do is go to work. Oh wow, what an incredible fantasy. It's one of those games that just puts in vague symbolism in an attempt to be artistic while not actually having any meaning, instead lazily opting for people to come up with their own interpretations. I guess it would be cool as an interactive art museum piece or something, but as a game it's probably the worst I've ever played.

LegendofHugh

Jul 18, 2009
Over-the-top vegans who hate meat-eaters. I have no problem with people being vegan, one of my best friends is, that's their choice. But if you call someone a monster because they like a steak, that's going too far. I saw this stupid chick walking around campus recently with a petition to shut down some cruel-conditions farm in a foreign country we have no right to petition to, saying all farms are bad and farmers are animal-killers.

I'm from a country town. I asked her if she had ever left the city in her life. She said "Only for a skiing trip." I said "You have never been on a farm, and you probably never will, because God-forbid you get a little dirt on those $300 shoes. Three of my best friends live on farms. They love animals more than anyone I know. Do your research, Australian farmers don't mistreat their animals, and if they do, they draw the ire of the entire community."

I also pointed out the fact that the organic foods I'd need to eat to get the same amount of protein as my roast beef are way too expensive for a uni-student budget and she's lucky that her upper-middle class parents can buy her that stuff. She still called me a monster.

I'll close with a quote from my favourite comedian Tim Minchin: "You have the right to your opinion, and if need be I would write up a s----y placard and march alongside you defending your right to your opinion, but I don't think that means you get to tell other people what to believe"

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Spot1990 said:
Tipsy Giant said:
Spot1990 said:
Tipsy Giant said:
xXTheParadoxXx said:
I'm not sure if this is exactly unpopular, but Americans cannot do TV comedy properly. All of their sitcoms are crap. Maybe I've just been spoiled by Father Ted, Spaced etc.
Maybe you just haven't seen Curb Your Enthusiasm?
Or Louie, or the Life and Times of Tim, or the Simpsons, or Futurama, or South Park.
Didn't like Louie, it felt too obvious, all the jokes were reused from some other shitty sitcom...... Shame cos his stand up is great!
What about Lucky Louis? There's a godawful laugh track but most of the jokes came from his stand up. The scene where his daughter keeps asking "Why?" is one of the greatest things I've seen on tv.
I find it really hard to watch a show with a laughter track, it feels really unnatural and every time they laugh at a joke I don't find funny I find myself sighing.

American comedy needs to move away from laughter tracks totally, all the best comedies from the states already have.... Curb Your Enthusiasm, Arrested Development, Parks and Recreation etc

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Crayven said:
Britian should be a republic/in the EU/brake up into 4 country's......

People should really stop trying to fix what isn't broken. I mostly hate the whole get rid of the royal family idea but i don't want to join the EU, and i don't want Scotland and wales to be independent.
You don't want to get rid of the royal family? Why?

Crayven

Plum tickler
Mar 28, 2011
Tipsy Giant said:
Crayven said:

People should really stop trying to fix what isn't broken. I mostly hate the whole get rid of the royal family idea but i don't want to join the EU, and i don't want Scotland and wales to be independent.
I love the fact we have a royal family, most of my family "support" me.
I see that a good monarchy is always better then a good democracy and a bad monarchy is just as bad as a bad democracy, but at least when it ends there's some bloodshed on the royals part, not some git making money from a book.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
TheKasp said:
rhizhim said:
some rap are quite good but in overall the quality of its lyrics and the story they tell are not that good. and this applies to even the best rap songs out there.
*sigh*

I'd suggest that you get an idea what you're talking about before you start saying stuff that is just wrong. *points at "The Anthology of Rap"* Many, many professional writers disagree with you.

But disregarding that: You want to judge the quality of a genre by the quantity of good songs? Really? Because let me say this: Most of [insert any genre] is crap. Every genre has a giant amount of bands / "artists" producing meaningless crap with bad lyrics, bad music and bad everything.
Thank you!

I hate this idea that hip hop music has more terrible artists than other genres. Pretty much all mainstream hip hop is bad, but that's because mainstream music of any genre is bad.

You want great lyrics in hip hop, stop looking there, start looking here

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Crayven said:
Tipsy Giant said:
Crayven said:

I see that a good monarchy is always better then a good democracy and a bad monarchy is just as bad as a bad democracy, but at least when it ends there's some bloodshed on the royals part, not some git making money from a book.
What do you love about them? Why do you think a Monarchy is better than a democracy? Do you think they are born better than you are I?

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Matthew94 said:
This makes me glad that I didn't get hyped up for it or buy it.

Is it really that bad?
Depends on you as a person. Personally I think they could swap out Mr Payne with Jack Bauer, add some slow-mo mechanics and you would have the exact same game.
Unskippable cut-scenes which often add little value more than "oh yey, more guys crashing in with a van or some guy threatening me" or worse, the generic "I'm getting too old for this shit"/spammed by "ya okay bro/brotha/Max??" by my co-character.

What bugged me the most was that all the sound effects felt off, I want the sound from Max Payne 2 instead :( *nostalgia glasses*.

Crayven

Plum tickler
Mar 28, 2011
Tipsy Giant said:
Crayven said:
Tipsy Giant said:
Crayven said:

What do you love about them? Why do you think a Monarchy is better than a democracy? Do you think they are born better than you are I?
The idea, i cant explain it but i think that is the right way, and democracy is wrong. People voting (or not voting as the case may be) is all about popularity. You have no real choice, because if 1000 idiots like one guy for something stupid like his name, his family, where hes from or other useless information that has no bearing on how he can do his job and you want the other guy because you believe he could do something, tough luck.

Then after 4 years, you get a new choice and someone else gets a choice, and as long as they didn't murder someone on tape, they go off and make stupid amounts of money, no batter how bad they did.

Royal rules for life, but if the monarch messes up bad, people rebel and they end up loosing a head. im not saying the system is perfect, and im not saying one family should always rule, but i think it has more chance of working well.

They are normal people. they are no better or worse then us, but they have been doing it for years.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Crayven said:
Tipsy Giant said:
Crayven said:
Tipsy Giant said:
Crayven said:

The idea, i cant explain it but i think that is the right way, and democracy is wrong. People voting (or not voting as the case may be) is all about popularity. You have no real choice, because if 1000 idiots like one guy for something stupid like his name, his family, where hes from or other useless information that has no bearing on how he can do his job and you want the other guy because you believe he could do something, tough luck.

Then after 4 years, you get a new choice and someone else gets a choice, and as long as they didn't murder someone on tape, they go off and make stupid amounts of money, no batter how bad they did.

Royal rules for life, but if the monarch messes up bad, people rebel and they end up loosing a head. im not saying the system is perfect, and im not saying one family should always rule, but i think it has more chance of working well.

They are normal people. they are no better or worse then us, but they have been doing it for years.
Of course you could look at democracy from the other side, you and 999 like minded individuals have found someone who you think will benefit the country and one person on their own can't do anything to ruin it.

But if someone in a democracy "messes up bad" they will be subject to disciplinary measures too, just look at the Levinson Enquiry going on now!
In a purely Monarchistic rule, who would replace the ruler when we rebelled?
If they are normal people, equal to us, how come we have zero chance of ruling the country? why would you be born in to that position if you are equal to everyone else? maybe instead we could come to a consensus of who we think would do a better job and that person can do it, for a limited amount of time of course incase we change our mind.... I CALL IT GOVERNMENT!

You say you don't wanna be stuck with a leader you don't like for 4 years but are more than happy to have one for life :S

WoahDan

Sep 7, 2011
Tipsy Giant said:
Crayven said:
Tipsy Giant said:
Crayven said:
Tipsy Giant said:
Crayven said:

Of course you could look at democracy from the other side, you and 999 like minded individuals have found someone who you think will benefit the country and one person on their own can't do anything to ruin it.

But if someone in a democracy "messes up bad" they will be subject to disciplinary measures too, just look at the Levinson Enquiry going on now!
In a purely Monarchistic rule, who would replace the ruler when we rebelled?
If they are normal people, equal to us, how come we have zero chance of ruling the country? why would you be born in to that position if you are equal to everyone else? maybe instead we could come to a consensus of who we think would do a better job and that person can do it, for a limited amount of time of course incase we change our mind.... I CALL IT GOVERNMENT!

You say you don't wanna be stuck with a leader you don't like for 4 years but are more than happy to have one for life :S
Personally, I don't mind the monarchy. I know a lot of people do, but I just don't. I know it's old-fashioned, illogical, pantomimic and unjust. But it's also unimportant, entertaining and, crucially, already there. Not liking the institution is not a good enough reason for getting rid of it. You've got to have a reasonable expectation that the republican alternative ? probably some sort of presidency cooked up by contemporary politicians (and you know who they are) ? would be an improvement. -David Mitchell

Britons in general tend to like the monarchy not on ideological but on practical grounds. Getting rid of it at this point would be a massive hassle that's unlikely to be worth it in the long run, unless you can prove otherwise I think we are fine as we are thanks.

That's certainly my view at least.

PS I love the irony of replacing the most consistently popular branch of the government in the name of democracy

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
Opinions based on factual things.

-All wine tastes bitter.
-Heavy metal isn't music to me because I can't dance to it.
-Moshing isn't a form of dancing.

All opinions based on things that are considered truths, yet inherently incorrect. My ex loved it when I rooted out peoples opinions on things like this and tore them to shreds but got butthurt when she was subject to the same criticism.