Our Favorite Cards From Battle for Zendikar

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Our Favorite Cards From Battle for Zendikar

A few of our favorite cards from Battle for Zendikar.

Read Full Article

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
The reason so many people got in/got back in around Zendikar is (For my generation at least, which I refuse to call millennial) is that Zenikar coincided with heading off to college.
...Oh my god it's been 6 years! I'm old!
In other news, what I'm really excited for is when they inevitably release Battle for New Phyrexia next set.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
I can't confirm this, but Battle for Zendikar seems like it was butchered hastily, and then stitched back together in the new two set format. Being the kind of hopeless loser who savors the flavor, the fact that we hear about the destruction of Sea gate

On one card, and then the reclaiming of Sea Gate on another card in the same set,

Really does strike me as slapdash. And another thing, why did they give the Abzan players even more goodies? Damn desert warriors have all the fun, while we Temur players just wheep, and wonder why Knuckleblade doesn't just have haste on it as a keyword.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
silver wolf009 said:
I can't confirm this, but Battle for Zendikar seems like it was butchered hastily, and then stitched back together in the new two set format. Being the kind of hopeless loser who savors the flavor, the fact that we hear about the destruction of Sea gate on one card, and then the reclaiming of Sea Gate on another card in the same set.
Personally, I'm all on board for this. Magic's storytelling has been getting a little stale with trying to structure every block around specific events. I'd rather them have more freedom to play around in the space then "the set-up fall set", "the twist, conflict, rise, etc winter set", and the "resolution fall set".

Really does strike me as slapdash. And another thing, why did they give the Abzan players even more goodies? Damn desert warriors have all the fun, while we Temur players just wheep, and wonder why Knuckleblade doesn't just have haste on it as a keyword.
Abzan and Temur? Welcome our new 4c/5c Bring to Light overlords instead.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Slycne said:
silver wolf009 said:
I can't confirm this, but Battle for Zendikar seems like it was butchered hastily, and then stitched back together in the new two set format. Being the kind of hopeless loser who savors the flavor, the fact that we hear about the destruction of Sea gate on one card, and then the reclaiming of Sea Gate on another card in the same set.
Personally, I'm all on board for this. Magic's storytelling has been getting a little stale with trying to structure every block around specific events. I'd rather them have more freedom to play around in the space then "the set-up fall set", "the twist, conflict, rise, etc winter set", and the "resolution fall set".
I'd be on board with it too, if it felt like it had been planned that way, instead of being made that way. Granted that's only a problem for this set, since the next one will be built as a twofer. My only hope is they take advantage of the new format as an excuse to return to Lorwyn/Shadowmoor. I keep having fever dreams of a Theros/Lorwyn standard, where devotion reigns supreme and everything is hybridized.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
insaninater said:
There's some great cards in BFZ. I'm a fan of Emeria Shepherd myself, probably one of the stronger consistent recursion cards ever printed, and gives mono-white some much needed love, and the infinite combo potential is certainly there. It's ANY nonland permanent. Anything. Just right onto the battlefield. Creatures? Done! Planeswalkers? Yep! Emeria shepherd don't care.
Heh, the interaction between [mtg_card=Emeria Shepherd] and [mtg_card=Sakura-Tribe Elder] is fun.