Our Universe Might Be Colliding With Other Dimensions As It Expands

Fanghawk

New member
Feb 17, 2011
3,861
0
0
Our Universe Might Be Colliding With Other Dimensions As It Expands

New anomalies discovered in cosmic background radiation suggests our universe smacks into pocket dimensions as it grows.

We have countless movies, TV shows, comic books, and video games preparing us for the notion that parallel universes exist and are easy to observe. In reality, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142110-Stephen-Hawking-Says-Black-Holes-Might-Exit-To-Parallel-Dimensions>while science has many ideas on the matter, it's proven difficult to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140247-Large-Hadron-Collider-Could-Prove-Existence-Of-Parallel-Universes-Very-Soon>settle one way or another. But that's not stopping potential evidence from flowing in - like one recent example from the Astrophysical Journal. A new study conducted by Caltech cosmologist Ranga-Ram Chary has found cosmic background radiation anomalies which are difficult to explain in normal circumstances. One possible solution? These are locations where our universe has collided with an alternate universe.

So yeah. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139551-Marvel-Comics-and-Ultimate-Universes-Will-Merge-In-Secret-Wars>Marvel's Secret Wars might be closer to how reality works than we thought.

For context, you need to understand cosmic background radiation. It's the oldest light in the universe, made up of leftover electromagnetic radiation from the universe's creation. At any given moment it hits the Earth from every direction, and we can now map it using data from the European Space Agency's Planck telescope.

Now for the interesting part: Chary created one such map and noted anomalous emissions of radiation in certain regions. These are basically blobs of light where the color looks wrong. And I don't mean "we need to repaint the kitchen" wrong - we're talking "this light doesn't come from our universe" kind of wrong.

"A factor of &#8764; 65 higher baryon to photon ratio than that observed in our Universe would be required to explain the signal," Chary writes. "Since such anisotropies do not exist in our Universe from what we know, a plausible explanation is that collision of our Universe with an alternate Universe with such a high baryon to photon ratio may be responsible for the higher recombination rate and thereby the detected signal."

To be fair, alternate universes aren't the only possibility here. Chary himself said this will require an immense burden of proof, adding that even noise fluctuations could alter the signal enough to cause the anomaly. One problem: The calculated probability for that being true is about 30%. Hence why we're talking alternate universes today.

These readings also line up with some current multiverse theories - specifically, those relating to pocket dimensions. In short, as our universe expands it creates energy pockets that expand more quickly than the surrounding reality, forming another dimension. In 2010, scientists considered the possibility that cosmic bruising in background radiation might be a sign of this process. Chary's study may just be the latest piece of evidence supporting this multiverse theory.

"Our Universe may simply be a region within an eternally inflating super-region," Chary writes. "Many other regions beyond our observable Universe would exist with each such region governed by a different set of physical parameters than the ones we have measured for our Universe."

Source: UPI

Permalink
 

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
4,953
6
13
It is moments like this where i like to picture a monotheistic god realising we are trying to peer beyond our universe amd they're like "Nope! Have another layer of mystery to solve, you pesky inquisitive humans!" So they can get back to another episode of Rick n Morty. Sort of like when you let rats or ferrets out to play in a specified area, but they always keep escaping to nose under the sofa and sometimes make a break for the door.
Disclaimer: Not religious.
 

rcs619

New member
Mar 26, 2011
627
0
0
It honestly wouldn't surprise me. Just about every single discovery about the scale of the universe has led to the same basic conclusion, there's always a larger scale. Earth went from the center of the universe, to one of many bodies orbiting around the Sun. Then the Sun turned out to be one of millions that make up our galaxy. Then our galaxy turned out to be one of many within our local group. Then our local group turned out to be one tiny speck in a massive collection of galaxies and galaxy clusters that form this huge filament-like mega-structure. Then we find out that there are many more of these mega-structures, and that they form this giant web-like pattern made up of billions and billions of galaxies.

Finding out our universe was just one of many assembled into some sort of larger structure would pretty much fall in line with everything else so far. The moral of astronomy, nothing is ever unique or special, but damn is it all amazing, awe-inspiring and beautiful.
 

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
732
0
0
I'm still offended by the idea that in an alternate dimension there is a me that has lived the perfect life. This is made worse by the idea that their is some greater power intentionally doing all of this. And it only makes me wonder how many alternate dimension versions of me are have done worse.
 

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
13,144
3,584
118
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Gender
✅
So if I run into a duplicate of myself who has a goatee, I know what's going on, then.

Xsjadoblayde said:
It is moments like this where i like to picture a monotheistic god realising we are trying to peer beyond our universe amd they're like "Nope! Have another layer of mystery to solve, you pesky inquisitive humans!"
"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

- The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Douglas Adams
 

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
24,759
0
0
Xsjadoblayde said:
It is moments like this where i like to picture a monotheistic god realising we are trying to peer beyond our universe amd they're like "Nope! Have another layer of mystery to solve, you pesky inquisitive humans!" So they can get back to another episode of Rick n Morty. Sort of like when you let rats or ferrets out to play in a specified area, but they always keep escaping to nose under the sofa and sometimes make a break for the door.
Disclaimer: Not religious.
It's funnier to picture rival deities. Champions of reason going "look what they can accomplish" and champions of chaos going "oh yeah?"
 

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
4,953
6
13
The Rogue Wolf said:
"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

- The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Douglas Adams
Douglas Adams could have very well ended our universe as we know it then! It's a good thing he covered his/our hides with the use of "theory" and its' younger sibling.
Something Amyss said:
It's funnier to picture rival deities. Champions of reason going "look what they can accomplish" and champions of chaos going "oh yeah?"
Champions of destruction and their snarky, anti-social behaviour. We'll show them...some diagrams and prototypes.
There is always this Simpson's couch gag, it was like they were thinking precisely what i was thinking at that time;

 

The_Darkness

New member
Nov 8, 2010
546
0
0
Fanghawk said:
To be fair, alternate universes aren't the only possibility here. Chary himself said this will require an immense burden of proof, adding that even noise fluctuations could alter the signal enough to cause the anomaly. One problem: The calculated probability for that being true is about 30%. Hence why we're talking alternate universes today.
Eh, a 30% chance that's it's just noise isn't that small. Do you know how often I've managed to miss my 70% chance-to-hit in X-COM? (Or, worse, how often the aliens manage to hit their 30%s?!)

Still, it's interesting that the observation lines up with current theories of our young universe within the context of a multiverse. So when do I get to harness the multiverse for Quantum Immortality?

EDIT:

Xsjadoblayde said:
Did... Did they just give away Springfield's exact location there?! :D
 

MrFalconfly

New member
Sep 5, 2011
913
0
0
Alternate DIMENSIONS?!?!?

A dimension is a bloody coordinate used to describe an object, not a universe.

For Odin's sake STOP BUTCHERING SCIENTIFIC NOMENCLATURE IN THE PURSUIT TO SOUND SMART!!! (it wasn't that clever when Star Trek did it either. It's called technobabble).
 

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
15,489
0
0
MrFalconfly said:
Alternate DIMENSIONS?!?!?

A dimension is a bloody coordinate used to describe an object, not a universe.

For Odin's sake STOP BUTCHERING SCIENTIFIC NOMENCLATURE IN THE PURSUIT TO SOUND SMART!!! (it wasn't that clever when Star Trek did it either. It's called technobabble).
Anything past the fourth dimension (time/duration-of-object) refers to a point or object outside of normal space, ergo an alternate form of space and/or dimension.

OT: This doesn't surprise me in the slightest. With every possibility that a black hole is altering known space, it doesn't take much of a leap to believe there's more to everything out there.
 

the December King

Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
1,580
1
3
If there are alternate universes or pocket dimensions in time space, and they are in turn emitting their own elements, are any of them as old as the known universe? Were these alternate universes also formed during the Big Bang event, was their formation a result of our universes expansion, or did they all have their own explosive beginnings? Just how big is the space between the stars/the bounds of this universe?
 

Fanghawk

New member
Feb 17, 2011
3,861
0
0
the December King said:
If there are alternate universes or pocket dimensions in time space, and they are in turn emitting their own elements, are any of them as old as the known universe? Were these alternate universes also formed during the Big Bang event, was their formation a result of our universes expansion, or did they all have their own explosive beginnings? Just how big is the space between the stars/the bounds of this universe?


I think many scientists aren't sure of the answers to these questions (at least not yet) but going by the multiverse theory referenced here? A higher universe arrives first, then it expands, which creates the pocket universes.

For me, the strangest question is whether we are living in a pocket universe, which is part of a larger mega-structure.

 

MrFalconfly

New member
Sep 5, 2011
913
0
0
FalloutJack said:
MrFalconfly said:
Alternate DIMENSIONS?!?!?

A dimension is a bloody coordinate used to describe an object, not a universe.

For Odin's sake STOP BUTCHERING SCIENTIFIC NOMENCLATURE IN THE PURSUIT TO SOUND SMART!!! (it wasn't that clever when Star Trek did it either. It's called technobabble).
Anything past the fourth dimension (time/duration-of-object) refers to a point or object outside of normal space, ergo an alternate form of space and/or dimension.

OT: This doesn't surprise me in the slightest. With every possibility that a black hole is altering known space, it doesn't take much of a leap to believe there's more to everything out there.
According to some intepretations of M-Theory, our universe has up to 11 dimensions.

Dimensions doesn't say if we've entered or exited a universe.

I'm not saying that Parallel Universes are impossible.

I'm only saying that "Dimensions" and "Universes" aren't synonymous (obviously).
 

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
15,489
0
0
MrFalconfly said:
*Star Wars cantina band playing for some reason*
If you're trying to say that all universes have or are dimensions, but that the reverse is not true, well...maybe, but we really don't know for sure. Even still, this isn't buzzwording. It's an acceptable use of the term insofar as trying to convey the meaning as it is understood.
 

spartan231490

New member
Jan 14, 2010
5,186
0
0
One possible solution, Universe is expanding into pocket dimensions. Far more likely explanation: we don't even begin to understand the universe from the tiny, infinitesimal portion of it that we have observed, and anomalies in our readings are just things we haven't encountered yet.
 

MrFalconfly

New member
Sep 5, 2011
913
0
0
FalloutJack said:
MrFalconfly said:
*Star Wars cantina band playing for some reason*
If you're trying to say that all universes have or are dimensions, but that the reverse is not true, well...maybe, but we really don't know for sure. Even still, this isn't buzzwording. It's an acceptable use of the term insofar as trying to convey the meaning as it is understood.
Yes, universes will have dimensions (simply because to be able to describe anything, you need spacial, and temporal coordinates, which is what dimensions are).

No it isn't "buzzwording", it's just use of the wrong nomenclature.
 

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
15,489
0
0
MrFalconfly said:
FalloutJack said:
MrFalconfly said:
*Star Wars cantina band playing for some reason*
If you're trying to say that all universes have or are dimensions, but that the reverse is not true, well...maybe, but we really don't know for sure. Even still, this isn't buzzwording. It's an acceptable use of the term insofar as trying to convey the meaning as it is understood.
Yes, universes will have dimensions (simply because to be able to describe anything, you need spacial, and temporal coordinates, which is what dimensions are).

No it isn't "buzzwording", it's just use of the wrong nomenclature.
Well, I think you're getting bent out of shape over nothing, really.
 

MrFalconfly

New member
Sep 5, 2011
913
0
0
FalloutJack said:
MrFalconfly said:
FalloutJack said:
MrFalconfly said:
*Star Wars cantina band playing for some reason*
If you're trying to say that all universes have or are dimensions, but that the reverse is not true, well...maybe, but we really don't know for sure. Even still, this isn't buzzwording. It's an acceptable use of the term insofar as trying to convey the meaning as it is understood.
Yes, universes will have dimensions (simply because to be able to describe anything, you need spacial, and temporal coordinates, which is what dimensions are).

No it isn't "buzzwording", it's just use of the wrong nomenclature.
Well, I think you're getting bent out of shape over nothing, really.
We all have things that grind our gears.

Mine is consistent fallacious use of terminology.
 

Maze1125

New member
Oct 14, 2008
1,679
0
0
Fanghawk said:
One problem: The calculated probability for that being true is about 30%.
And that's an example of how physicists suck as statistics. 30% is perfectly plausible, especially given how many chances that 30% would have to occur throughout the universe.

What is the calculated probability for this to be produce by us colliding with another universe? Is it more than 30%? If not, it's not a more likely scenario.

What is in-fact happening here is that there is not calculated probability for the collision option and so the things being compared aren't even comparable.