Out-Of-Work Borders Employees Deliver an Honest Farewell

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
just had a horrible day today. think i broke my record for most threats over coupons ever

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Everyone hates their job sometimes.

People who work in retail just like to ***** about it more than everyone else combined.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
This hits close to home. I currently work in the paint department at Home Depot and every one of those either hit the nail on the head or had a very close analogue and my job is actually one of the easiest in the store. Everyone else jokes that the only customers i get are pros and pretty women, and it's true, but they get as vile as anyone else. It must have felt great to let loose on them just once before it was over.

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
Wow that just made me really heart broken.

I liked the one about knowing when they were really reading playboy XD

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
Aww, this makes me miss Borders.

I confess to one of the things on the list-- I did buy, read, and return one or two books. In my defense, I sent them back in perfect condition. I also confess to starting out with "a small question", but usually my small question was "where in the sam hill did you move that section *this* week?"

I loved your store (at least, in the heyday before you started downsizing section I was most interested in) and I loved your employees. You had some of the funkiest people going working for you and some of the coolest merchandise (I have a glitter disco Virgin Mary from Borders!) and B&N has never been on the same level. I'm sorry for the crappy business decisions your executives made, and wish you were still with us. It's not going to be the same driving by and not seeing the Borders sign anymore. :(

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
HAW! I worked at a Borders for a year and I can attest to 100% of these being accurate. I really hated those smug a-hole customers who thought they were tricking us when they returned a clearly used book.

If only they could've written one to management. Maybe something like "People don't come into bookstores to be bothered, so why are you forcing every employee to recommend them the same book?"
Or how 'bout: "That's the third time this week you've given that obnoxious customer their way 'just this one time.' I think they're onto you."

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
MatthewAmirault said:
Assuming we are speaking of the economics, the people who work the floors in retail are likely to be left because they would perceive the right's views (such as eliminating minimum wage) as bad for them.
Yay, I'm in the minority, that means I get to be all hipster and stuff! I work retail, and personally detest minimum wage. If you are good at your job, the money will find you. I have personally had all progress brought about from raises eliminated due to minimum wage increases at least once. (I can't for the life of me remember if the minimum has increased once or twice in the past ~6 years, the retailing is rotting my brain.) It's extremely disheartening to have worked for 3-4 years somewhere, and find yourself getting paid the same amount as the new kid who has yet to figure out where everything in the store is.
I'm of the belief that raising the minimum does nothing except screw experienced workers. If it goes up "to cover cost of living", cost of living simply goes up to claim that extra $.25 that Mr. Incompetent feels he's entitled to, despite doing nothing to earn it.
I realize that there are probably holes in my reasoning, and if pointed out, I'll probably endeavor to fill them, but other people were using this thread to vent, and this is the thing that I despise most that hasn't already been gone over by numerous others on this thread.
If you liked this (potentially) loose-brained nonsense, and would like to hear more, simply ask, and you shall (probably) eventually receive.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
whats the last one at the very bottom say. I can only read sorry were not a library.

Zach of Fables

Oct 5, 2011
I'm legitimately shocked that they weren't angry at people who would come in, read books for four hours and then not buy anything. I always felt cripplingly guilty when I did that, especially since it went out of business.