Outland Review

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
I love platformers and Ikaruga, so I'm definitely interested, but I haven't picked it up incase Sony offers it as a free download once the PSN comes back. Not to mention I'm out of MS points and I am waiting for a replacement debit card.

It's nice to see an XBLA game for only 800 points. Not that Braid and LIMBO weren't worth every penny, but I'm glad 1200 isn't the new norm.

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
I'm in the same boat as Cursed Frogurt, but the good news is it does look really good. Reminds me of the Indiana Jones game on the SNES a bit, except with more bullets. Yay!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Heh. What you describe in the video is exactly what happened to me.

"Ohhh, Steam sale: Lara Croft: GTOL."

"Hey, didn't that one Escapist reviewer say it was really good? Guess I'll give it a shot then."

"Holy crap! This game is fun as hell!"

Thanks for that by the way.

As for Outland, I was willing to buy it after seeing one screenshot. Sadly I lack the necessary consoles. Ah well.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Well the visuals are indeed impressively trippy, I'm not really a platformer but I can appreciate a simple gimmick applied well.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Looks like a nice little game. Quick question: XBLA exclusive, or will it get to PSN when it eventually comes back? It looks like my kind of game.

Griphphin

Jul 4, 2009
Agree wholeheartedly. The game is beautiful, the controls tight and responsive enough to make sure any mistake you make is your fault entirely (almost on par with Super Meat Boy in tightness), and the boss fights DO NOT disappoint. So good <3

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
It's been a long time since I've bothered to watch one of the review supplement videos. You've improved considerably since the last time I watched.

Now that I've seen how this looks in action, I'll definitely get it. Once PSN comes back. Assuming it's one of the choices for a free download. Or until it's on sale.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Mr. Omega said:
Looks like a nice little game. Quick question: XBLA exclusive, or will it get to PSN when it eventually comes back? It looks like my kind of game.
According to the review, it's also on PSN.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
I WANT A MOTHERFUCKING CREDIT CARD! I'm missing out on so many awesome titles that would so neatly fit my tight budget, it's sadistic!

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
One thing that I didn't like about this game is that the world doesn't seem organic. Like this could never exist.

The platforms look like platforms and the nonsensical stuff that shoots out the white/black dots don't blend at all.

Take any Mario or the new Donkey Kong Country Returns. The levels look organic or they at least try to make it blend.

I know this is a budget title but w/e, thought it'd be worth a mention. Still a great little game but it looks as abstract as N+ does for me.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Mister Benoit said:
One thing that I didn't like about this game is that the world doesn't seem organic. Like this could never exist.

The platforms look like platforms and the nonsensical stuff that shoots out the white/black dots don't blend at all.

Take any Mario or the new Donkey Kong Country Returns. The levels look organic or they at least try to make it blend.

I know this is a budget title but w/e, thought it'd be worth a mention. Still a great little game but it looks as abstract as N+ does for me.
Huh, that's an interesting complaint, and not one I'd ever heard about platformers before. You're certainly accurate in your evaluation, though.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
This looks like just what I need right now. Stupid PSN. Stupid hackers. BAH! I'll go back to sulking.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Mister Benoit said:

Huh, that's an interesting complaint, and not one I'd ever heard about platformers before. You're certainly accurate in your evaluation, though.
Aside from that not a fan of the "golden path" thing they put in the game which advises players where to go. The world isn't on the scale of Super Metroid of Castlevania: SotN so it's kind of odd that they're trying to make it even more linear.

You might be able to turn that off but I didn't get to check.

I wish their budget would of been a little bigger.

These guys would've made an awesome Tron platformer.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Mister Benoit said:
Susan Arendt said:
Mister Benoit said:

Aside from that not a fan of the "golden path" thing they put in the game which advises players where to go. The world isn't on the scale of Super Metroid of Castlevania: SotN so it's kind of odd that they're trying to make it even more linear.

You might be able to turn that off but I didn't get to check.

I wish their budget would of been a little bigger.

These guys would of made an awesome Tron platformer.
"would have" or alternatively, "would've".

Hadn't considered the Tron inspiration myself, but there's definitely a resemblance, isn't there?

I personally didn't find the "golden path" to be too obtrusive, and found it actually came in handy when I'd been away from the game for a while and didn't quite remember where I was supposed to be headed.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Dammit.

Screw Halo Reach and Modern Warfare 2. I want an X360 just so I can play stuff like this!

Fuck, why do all the good indie and old-school games never get to Steam?

What? Way more people own X360s than PCs? Well... I guess that explains it then.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
kind of reminds me of samurai jack.
And it reminds me of Patapon.

Still, having played both "Plants vs Zombies" and "Laura Croft: Guardian of Light" and having loved them both I will definatly be giving this game a look.