Outland Review

Jernau

Nov 20, 2009
This really really reminds of Samurai Jack, and for that reason alone I'd be getting it. However it does also look awesome.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
I'm usually not on the end of people who disagree with a difficulty assessment, as I'm not the most skilled gamer, but I really didn't find Outland to be that difficult. I really only got hit on a few choice overlaping bullet sections, or, I made a clumsy jump, so it was more my fault than anything.

As for the bosses, they were kind of easy. Except for the dragon. The Dragon can go screw.

I went into the first 4 boss fights with, in order, 2 hearts, 3 hearts, and 3 hearts (which went up to 4 because of the enemies in the middle section), and I had no problem klling them on my first run. The Dragon was actually hard, though; well, at least for me. The firsat part is easy, especially if you're willing to spam that energy gathering wave thing. It's when you've got him down to his final weak point that the level becomes spammy itself. Now, the final boss was just pure tedious; I've never been so happy to have double damage (Sword of the Gods. Woo!) because that fight just dragged on.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Well, I'd like to try it, but I don't own an Xbox.

And I rarely game on my PS3, not to mention that PSN is down.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Sober Thal said:
Great review. I have the demo, will be buying it soon.

Side question, in the video review you mention 'it's hard, but fair'. I think I know what you mean, but does anyone know of a hard game that isn't fair?? I couldn't think of one.
Go back to the nes era of side scrolling beat em ups, just meant to steal quarters.

Also Mario Kart 150cc with rubber band ai.

Most Recently the end boss of Mortal Kombat apparently.

Also game's that are hard because you fight the controls half the time like Saw.

Lastly work of all game's that are only hard because of a required grind.

tryfan

Apr 13, 2011
I bought this game and played past the High Priestess part so far. Beautiful game. The colours pop out exactly in a (good) Tron sort of way. The only problem I have is that there's a problem seeing where the platforms are in some places. It's a small gripe, but a gripe nonetheless. I can't imagine them highlighting ledges as in Uncharted or something. This was problem a dev room argument at the studio.

Great review for a great game. Worth every point.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Dhatz said:
Guess why I won't play this? It ain't on he PC!
Wasn't SMB on XBLA first too, and then they ported it to PC? I don't know since I got it on Steam right away. Anyway maybe if Outland's popular enough on xbox and playstation they'll make a PC version as well. That's what I'm hoping for at least.

EDIT: I quoted you but this is pretty much directed at everyone who wants a PC version. Just didn't want to quote them all.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Sober Thal said:
Great review. I have the demo, will be buying it soon.

Side question, in the video review you mention 'it's hard, but fair'. I think I know what you mean, but does anyone know of a hard game that isn't fair?? I couldn't think of one.
Ever played a game that has cheap hits? Getting killed by stuff you can't see, or shitty camera? That's a hard, but unfair, game.

ryo02 said:
Outland ... wasnt there a movie called that with Sean Connery?
Yup. It's a sci fi remake of High Noon, and it's awesome.

Jonsbax

May 4, 2010
Oh no, a reason to care that PSN is down... Then again, a new game that I'm actually interested in! Argh, I hate mixed emotions!

S1leNt RIP

Feb 15, 2011
Mister Benoit said:
One thing that I didn't like about this game is that the world doesn't seem organic. Like this could never exist.

The platforms look like platforms and the nonsensical stuff that shoots out the white/black dots don't blend at all.

Take any Mario or the new Donkey Kong Country Returns. The levels look organic or they at least try to make it blend.

I know this is a budget title but w/e, thought it'd be worth a mention. Still a great little game but it looks as abstract as N+ does for me.
Very true, though I felt like it wasn't supposed to be organic. To me it felt like a book, or a cave drawing, or a tapestry that was written/drawn/woven for future generations to learn about, not that there's any precedent for that, it just reminds me of old greek pottery figures.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
DanDeFool said:
Dammit.

Screw Halo Reach and Modern Warfare 2. I want an X360 just so I can play stuff like this!

Fuck, why do all the good indie and old-school games never get to Steam?

What? Way more people own X360s than PCs? Well... I guess that explains it then.
More people of consoles than on PC? Hmm....I bet that statistic is waaaaaayy off for the kind of audience this type of game could be grabbing given the HUGE casual crowd that already has a computer but has never thought of buying a console.

S1leNt RIP

Feb 15, 2011
I'm not sure how the controls would work for PC though...obviously there are enough buttons, but...it just wouldn't be as comfortable.

Either way, I'm just sad it wasn't on PSP. Would have been perfect for it. Also, it was awesome! Loved the boss fights and everything, though it made me feel stupid for the number of times I died just from not planning ahead.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
I remember being excited about this when I first saw the previews for it a while ago. Definitely going to be picking this one up now that it's out! And just enough time to beat it before The Witcher 2 releases...

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Memories of the Silver Surfer game on the NES haunt me to this very day. Ever wondered where the term 'Nintendo hard' originated from? It's games like this.

OT: That looks like a lot of fun, I'll be sure to try the demo when I have the time.
Damn your contagious enthusiasm, Susan - it will be the death of my wallet one day.