Ouya Backers Want Games Like Skyrim

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Ouya Backers Want Games Like Skyrim

Ouya's creators survey Kickstarter supporters for input.

Ouya, the Android-powered console that blew past its Kickstarter goal in a matter of hours yesterday, has already accumulated over four million dollars. Having secured funding for the indie game machine faster than anyone expected, the system's publishers next need to figure out what games people want to see on it.

Taking the feedback offered so far, the team at Ouya put together a list of the most-wanted games for the console. In no particular order, they are as follows:

Super Meat Boy (Team Meat)
FIFA (EA)
Terraria (Re-Logic)
Call of Duty (Activision)
Bastion (Supergiant)
Timesplitter (Eidos)
Battlefield (EA)
Battletoads (Tradewest)
League of Legends (Riot)
Grand Theft Auto (Rockstar)
Final Fantasy (Square)
Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
Minecraft (Mojang)
Mass Effect (EA)
Skyrim (Bethesda)
Fez (Polytron)
Torchlight (Runic)
Need for Speed (EA)
Limbo (Playdead)
Dungeon Defenders (Trendy)

Games like Fez and Bastion are the kind of titles I'd expect to play on Ouya. On the other hand, Need for Speed, Grand Theft Auto, and Call of Duty seem really out of place on this list. Isn't the point to give smaller developers a chance to shine?

It's likely that the makers of the console are just trying to get an idea of what genres and gameplay styles people want to see; I doubt we would ever see one of EA's or Activision's key franchises being made available for free on Ouya. There's also room in the survey for gamers to fill in their own most wanted games, so if you backed Ouya on Kickstarter, you might want to fill it out.

Source: Destructoid [https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ouyatop20]

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
I like how league of legends is on there. I don't supposed people who wanted it realize you need the mouse and keyboard...And what's with all the AAA titles? I want more indie games, not more AAA games. That's why I'm buying every indie bundle during the steam sale....Gonna have to go over and fill out that survey

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
I am not entirely convinced that these people know that it's supposed to be a console with a game pad, not a cheap and easy $100 PC with tons of AAA games for free.

also Battletoads. WOOHOO

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Battlefield made it on but not Call of Duty?
I sense a flame war comming
Super Meat Boy (Team Meat)
FIFA (EA)
Terraria (Re-Logic)
Call of Duty (Activision)

4th one down

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
I get the feeling not many of the backers understood why the console was being maaaaade, awkward.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Well unless you mod it like crazy I don't think that's gonna happen. But at that point why not use a PC. The strength of consoles is that developers know what it can and can't do. AAA high graphics titles will DEFINITELY not be able to run on the specs they listed.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Who suggested Battletoads? That is a brilliant idea. A Battletoads re-release.

Honestly, if games like this are released to it, I'll be very interested. If it's successful, then I think Google will want in on it and then declare they've "entered" the console race. This could be awesome, really awesome. It all depends on how the cards fall.

Calumon: What if this turned into the universal platform thing? :O

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Rainforce said:
I am not entirely convinced that these people know that it's supposed to be a console with a game pad, not a cheap and easy $100 PC with tons of AAA games for free.

also Battletoads. WOOHOO
^ This.

Seems like a ton of people are confused over what this console is setting out to be.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
Honestly after looking at this list, it seems like people don't fully understand what this thing and what kind of games are going to be on it. Also lets hope this thing actually gets made. I would hate to see these people run off or end up blowing the 6 or 7 million dollars (or more) they are going to get from the kickstart.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
I am facepalming harder than the sun...

First (For miss LeBoeuf) the ouya games are not free. however they must have a free to play component like a demo. TF2 nowadays is a good example of this kind of game.

Second (For the kickstarter backers) I see you didn't read the actual kickstarter article. it has roughly the same tech specs as a high powered Tablet. Can a tablet run Skyrim? Need for speed? CoD? Battlefield? I thought not.

Jack and Calumon said:
Who suggested Battletoads? That is a brilliant idea. A Battletoads re-release.

Honestly, if games like this are released to it, I'll be very interested. If it's successful, then I think Google will want in on it and then declare they've "entered" the console race. This could be awesome, really awesome. It all depends on how the cards fall.

Calumon: What if this turned into the universal platform thing? :O
I too desire to see the return of battletoads.

O_O Timesplitters made it onto the list! HUZZAH! THERE IS DEMAND FOR IT!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Why not?, it still won't defeat the purpose of an open source console, big budget publishers could still coexist with little indie developers, with the exact same chances to shine.

I don't doubt they'd still want to do their shady stuff on it (DRM, shitty codes, expensive games, shitloads of DLC, you name it), but at least, in theory, it wouldn't hurt the consumers anymore. But on the other hand, there's absolutely nothing that couldn't stop EA from charging ammo recharges into their games...

I still think this is an amazing experiment I want to see.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I hope these people understand that this thing is running a mobile chip and don't set their expectations too high.

I guarantee that when this thing gets released, there will be a slew of tech tards whining about how "The graphics are crap derp".

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
The sad thing the majority of people who are making the requests for AAA titles on OUYA have not the foggiest idea what this console is about and what they are wanting to do with it. If you want to play CoD or Skyrim fire up the Xbox or PS3. If you want to play totally original games that you would never see on the Xbox then fire up OUYA.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
I don't understand why people are face palming over keyboard orientated games being on this list, the thing comes shipped with bluetooth and USB, the company has said it'll support mouse, keyboard and your own *custom* peripherals. And that's the clincher right there, the thing is a completely open platform. You want it to be a media system and never run it as a console, fine, do so. Whether or not this concept will stretch to upgrading the specs of the system or not has yet to be seen. I still don't like it, and I don't know if I'll buy one, might still be nice as a second pc, but hey, don't shit on people wanting to do random things with a console which is being marketed as being able to do many random things.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
the doom cannon said:
what's with all the AAA titles? I want more indie games, not more AAA games.
Yeah, same. I already own a PS3 and a gaming PC that I can use for my AAA games, I'm looking forward to seeing more smaller developers on this console.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Despite what people are saying, if AAA titles are on the thing, sales will probably be a lot higher than if it was just indy games. A mix is a good thing.