Ouya Kickstarter Ends with 900% of Goal Raised

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Ouya Kickstarter Ends with 900% of Goal Raised

Here's everything we know about the tiny console with a big videogame footprint.

The Ouya may be vapor-hardware like the Phantom, it may completely shift the paradigm of the publisher-developer business model, or it may just be a nifty gadget. We won't know for sure which scenario is true for at least a few months, but we do the upstart Android console broke quite a few records. The Kickstarter campaign ended early this morning with the total funds raised equaling $8,596,475. The goal for the project was $950,000; the Ouya now has more than 900% of its desired funding. There were 63,416 backers, with 59,748 donating at a rewards level in which they receive an Ouya. Skeptics will point out that a console which only sells 60k units ain't exactly a smashing success, but reaching 60k sales in only one month, with limited advertising at that, is a feat that can't be ignored.

The campaign is not the most money raised on Kickstarter, that distinction goes to the Pebble watch with a programmable face which raised Double Fine Adventure record of $1,064,652.05 raised in just one day [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android].

CEO of Ouya, Julie Uhrman, made several updates to allay concerns and promise an ample game library at the console's launch. Ouya brokered a deal with OnLive to stream bigger videogame titles through the service your HDTV. which released a statement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118807-Final-Fantasy-III-Joins-Ouya-Launch-Title-Lineup] explaining the company was interested in bringing classics like Pac-Man and Tekken to the Ouya.

More technical details emerged over the course of the Kickstarter campaign. The little Android box will have a small form-factor, with designer nice brown plastic instead of the standard white. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118678-Ouya-No-Bigger-Than-a-Rubiks-Cube]

Ouya isn't just stopping at delivering games either. You'll be able to install Plex or XBMC to play media from your home library on your big HDTV using the HDMI connection. Finally, Uhrman wonders if the Ouya hardware wouldn't one day be embedded in a TV [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118965-Ouya-CEO-Says-Consoles-May-Become-TV-Chipsets], eschewing wires entirely.

There's a lot to digest regarding the Ouya, but don't be surprised if the startup goes on radio silence for a few weeks as they try to figure out the best way to spend $8.5 million. And hey, if you were still interested in dropping money on an Ouya but the Kickstarter ran out before pay day, well the company is accepting pre-orders now through PayPal. Take a look. [http://www.ouya.tv/buyouya/]

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console]

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Sseth said:
To be honest, I think users just really want a new console. I'd be vaguely interested if it wasn't as powerful as my i-phone.
Yep. When the most you can boast about is known companies mayeb bringing ports of old games to your system (Hi, WiiU) and technology small enough that TV manufacturers may end up using it without the actual console at all, I'm not sure what exactly the big deal is.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Yea I think I'll pass. No offense Ouya guys but If I wanted to play crappy iOS games on my HDTV my phone has a HDMI hookup. So...

captcha: no dice

sums my opinion up nicely.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
kiri2tsubasa said:
Honestly, what is the draw of this? From what I understand the Wii out powers this thing.
Um, and? I don't see how it having low capabilities means that it will have bad games. The draw as i understand it is it's open source nature.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
So for all the hipster indie is good and all publishers suck crap i read on here not a one of you will take a chance on something new but as soon as the xbox 720 or ps4 comes around you'll be instantly on it...

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
Since I already have a platform for playing just about any indie game (PC), the only draw for me was the Plex/XBMC/OnLive angle. That said, there just isn't enough hard information for me to feel comfortable offering up money yet. Once (or rather, -if-) actual units start shipping and they prove that the devices can be made and sufficiently function as advertised, then I'll take the Ouya more seriously than the Phantom game console. After learning that the Boxee Box is a steaming pile of underpowered hardware, I've become skeptical about new devices until proven otherwise.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
$8000000 and I still haven't seen a single convincing reason to get one.

In fact, it looks like the only way it'll even affect me is if it has exclusives that would've otherwise been on Steam or XBLA or whatever.

Which would be shit.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Maybe what we should really be doing is kickstarting research in nuclear fusion technology, space elevators, and solar sails.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I find it rather sad that so many people are willing to invest in something that doesn't even have the basic layout shown and that has several conflicting promises.

Saltarius

Aug 30, 2011
Eh. Ouya never really seemed like it'd be possible to me. I honestly doubt that little thing can bring up games like Skyrim, something backers said they wanted on the console.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
A smaller more affordable console is all well and good, but my fucking 500 dollar laptop from 2007 out powers this thing.

Also from the spec and design, this thing looks like it would burn my house down.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Saltarius said:
Eh. Ouya never really seemed like it'd be possible to me. I honestly doubt that little thing can bring up games like Skyrim, something backers said they wanted on the console.
Unless the games run on a cloud service like Onlive, it doesn't have the hardware to do current gen games. I'm still clueless to as to what the big deal is.

I think just people have this wrong idea about free AAA games.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
Tiamat666 said:
Maybe what we should really be doing is kickstarting research in nuclear fusion technology, space elevators, and solar sails.
You can't. Kickstarter requires a prototype for any physical project, unless it's a "designy" project like the Ouya. They also don't allow a lot of other stuff that would be awesome. Basically, the line seems to be if it's an emotional decision to support it versus an intellectual one.

Other companies like Indiegogo do allow practical projects, but Kickstarter is sucking up all the attention with its big-hit gaming projects, so they're in the shadows atm. Still, shortly the SEC will be putting out rules for crowdfunders to sell stock, so the world, she will be a-changing :)

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
The reason I'd buy an Ouya is to run Android apps on my TV so I don't have to buy an Android phone. I think a lot of parents would be cool with that, so they didn't have to buy everyone in the house an Android phone (or anyone, really). The movie service and local movie play would be very cool too.

Basically for me, the Ouya would replace the laptop I have serving as an HTPC right now for 1/4 the price, and give me access to the Android apps library. And maybe I'd even play a game or two on it, who knows? :)