Ouya No Bigger Than a Rubik's Cube

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Wow, that's tiny! That's really cool. I was worrying about where I was going to make space for another console but if it's that size it'll be no problem. I bet it looks really cute too. Ikkle wikkle box!

Aglynugga

Jul 25, 2010
A lot of what I've read from people in the industry remark that this console will either become much like the Phantom, or not meet any of its deadlines and probably increase in price. The small size they've quoted makes me believe the power source is going to be a block similar to the xbox, and that one entire side of the Ouya will be an exhaust vent, or they've got some miracle usb cord power system and magic fairies on the inside harnessing elemental ice power to cool off the components.
Plus, the rage that will occur after half the owners misplace theirs in the laundry.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
So the console that uses tech meant for smart phones and tablets is small?

Who would've thunk it?

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I can't believe why this is being hailed as something innovative? It's basically a computer in a tiny box.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
cidbahamut said:
Ten bucks says the power supply is bigger than the console completely defeating the purpose of trying to cram all the components into a poorly ventilated tiny cube.

There's just so much wrong with this console and people just take it all at face value. It makes me want to scream.
Aglynugga said:
The small size they've quoted makes me believe the power source is going to be a block similar to the xbox, and that one entire side of the Ouya will be an exhaust vent, or they've got some miracle usb cord power system and magic fairies on the inside harnessing elemental ice power to cool off the components.
The reason something like the 360 is so big and needs so much ventilation is because it uses OUTDATED PARTS (and a disc drive). This is to be expected of a system released seven years ago. The Tegra 3 chip in this thing is both newer (read: more efficient) and less powerful than a 360, so it's not gonna need nearly as much space, or produce nearly as much heat. This device is LITERALLY made out of cellphone hardware, so it makes sense that it's a similar size, and as a result it'll DEFINITELY have similar heat output and power requirements.

The whole concept of OUYA is based around the idea that cellphones are finally powerful enough to contain a complete console-like gaming experience. What separates this from a Tegra 3-powered phone such as the HTC One X is more in design, accessories, and intended usage, rather than the internal hardware (other than the lack of a cellphone radio, obviously). Firmware and online store infrastructure, first-party gamepads, and TV-out. This should be plenty for a system which (as far as I can tell) is attempting to position itself hardware-wise between the Wii and 360.

P.S. Thanks

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Pinkamena said:
I can't believe why this is being hailed as something innovative? It's basically a computer in a tiny box.
Hardware wise, it's not very innovative no. It's the open source nature of it that appeals to everyone. The open marketplace certainly helps too.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Aaand there goes any enthusiasm I had for Oh Yea.

Despite the lucrative development of gaming it's promising, the hardware falls flat on it's face by turning into a over mainstream tin can. How many times does the average gamer take their console out of their own house?Even the 360 is portable[footnote]excluding the need of cables[/footnote].

Can't I just launch the damn thing from a tablet or Notebook instead?

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
I would like to be getting more out of this... however the negative reviews of tech Kickstarter apps have made me only jump in at the low end (reserve my forum name... yeah, there's excitement).

Still, presuming it is successful, it should be easy to get my hands on one...

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
reminds me of the first time i saw a:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-006-ZT&groupid=43&catid=2251&subcat=

i thought, hey that'd be a cute gaming pc if it were a tad more powerful
i guess someone agrees

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
AC10 said:
I feel the 8 GB of storage is quite limiting.
Indeed, but theorically, you can hook up an USB flash drive or even an external harddrive disk to store as many games as you like.
That's definitely not a concern for me.

OT: Wow, that certainly sounds pretty cool :)

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
throws money at screen, nothing is happening! This product has all of my want

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Ok, it sounds great. I hope they can pull it off but there's been a lot of talking without a single even test run of this to see if the plans are even realistic.

When they start testing out some prototypes then I'll buy into more hype.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
They are going to have to get expensively creative with the cooling in a case that small pumping through that much voltage, even in an idle state. I will be frightened to see the Ipadish price of this thing if they ever get it working reliably outside of an air conditioned building for more than an hour.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Zer_ said:
Pinkamena said:
Hardware wise, it's not very innovative no. It's the open source nature of it that appeals to everyone. The open marketplace certainly helps too.
...So it's a tiny computer.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Pinkamena said:
It's pretty much an Android tablet without the tablet. Why people would buy an Ouya is beyond me when all the stuff that it is being tailored to run can be run just as easily on a cheap laptop or a tablet. It reminds me of those old arcade collection console things with Xevious, Pac-Man and other arcade classics in a box no bigger than a breadbin and you would plug it into your tv, play it for 5 minutes before getting bored and moving on. Also as for it being run on Android you can expect it to be cracked and emulated within days after its release, it will probably over take the PSP in terms of easiest to get free stuff for.

I cant wait for this thing to sink faster than the Titanic and then I can point and laugh at all you fools for buying into this Kickstarter crap. Silly OpenSource console.

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
This seems...awfully small.

I hope they make a really efficient cooling design, with everything so cramped together.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
So I can buy a $100 cube to play games that could just as easily (and might) be released on Steam or mobile devices. At least I can move it easily. Because it's not like you can do that with a phone.