Ouya Plots Course for December Release

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Zombie_Moogle said:
Baldr said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Mr.Tea said:
I still cannot, for the life of me, understand what the fuck people are expecting of this thing... especially to have thrown millions of dollars at its kickstarter.

Is it all about the 99$ price point?... or what?
Indie console gaming that doesn't require $40,000 certification, for starters

Open source software

Final Fantasy III getting it's first ever US console release

& this might just be me, but the controller is pretty innovative (touchpad & analogue buttons all in one. pretty nifty)
It only $99/yr for 10 games certification on Xbox:

http://xbox.create.msdn.com/en-us/home/membership

Don't know where you get the $40,000 price from, I don't even think that is the non-indie price.
Look into the Fez patch debacle. A good game stayed broken because Microsoft demands ridiculous amounts of money to allow the creator to fix it
It was for a re-certification of patch that should of been right the first time. The price for re-certification was never posted only as "tens of thousands of dollars", but was never confirmed.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Baldr said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Baldr said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Mr.Tea said:
I still cannot, for the life of me, understand what the fuck people are expecting of this thing... especially to have thrown millions of dollars at its kickstarter.

Open source software

& this might just be me, but the controller is pretty innovative (touchpad & analogue buttons all in one. pretty nifty)

Don't know where you get the $40,000 price from, I don't even think that is the non-indie price.
Look into the Fez patch debacle. A good game stayed broken because Microsoft demands ridiculous amounts of money to allow the creator to fix it
It was for a re-certification of patch that should of been right the first time. The price for re-certification was never posted only as "tens of thousands of dollars", but was never confirmed.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120721/18262519786/charging-40000-to-issue-patch-makes-games-better-microsoft.shtml

MopBox

Sep 7, 2012
bringer of illumination said:
Oh boy! I can't wait to pay 100 bucks to pay ugly mobile games stretched out on my wide-screen TV.

I bet it won't look awful at all

/sarcasm

I'm sorry, but I'm still confused. What the fuck is this thing supposed to be for again?

Is it really just for people who don't have a phone and who are also too cheap to buy an actual console (Not that I'd recommend playing on consoles at all mind)

What is the point of this thing?

Not that I wanna be the guy to piss on everyone's parade, but I don't see how this could possibly end in anything but hilarious, train-wreck level failure, especially with what the fans seem to be expecting, what with the top 20 list of games they want and the Ouya team's refusal to go out and straight talk about the fact that this thing simply can't run all the shit that people seem to want it to.

I'll be watching with interest from the sidelines, if it takes off, great, but it doesn't have me convinced
Seriously? Noooooo idea why an open source gaming console might be interesting? You haven't a single clue about the remarkable way that might open up indie development? Not a single clue as to how this might introduce console gaming to completely untapped markets?

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Baldr said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Baldr said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Mr.Tea said:

Open source software

You're an idiot if you believe anyone can guarantee a piece of software as bug free.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I'm glad it's only a devkit, because trying to compete with everything else in December is suicide for small projects.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
cidbahamut said:
Baldr said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Baldr said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Mr.Tea said:

Open source software

You're an idiot if you believe anyone can guarantee a piece of software as bug free.
I not saying it was bug free, but it is costly to having to keep patching a game. Microsoft had already given them the ok to patch the game. They wanted to create a new patch, this time Microsoft told them they would have to pay for the bandwidth if they wanted to release a new patch.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
I backed this and the Pebble, honestly I'm more excited for the pebble but I'll get just as much use out of the Ouya.
Logic is failing here... you backed the Pebble so you must have a smart phone, given that just about every aspect of the Pebble's functionality requires it be in range of a Bluetooth enabled smart phone... yeah I am trying to come up with a situation where I wouldn't just use or look at my phone...

Anyway back to the point, you backed the Pebble so must have a smart phone but want an Ouya which basically plays games that were designed for your smart phone...

So instead of buying one device that does everything, i.e the smart phone, you want to buy the smart phone and then two additional devices that can be used to do only a few things that the smart phone can do?

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
I'm glad the Ouya seems on track so far. I was skeptical whether they could do it and so didn't contribute to the Kickstarter. Might just buy one when they go to general release. I'd probably just slap Plex or XBMC on it, though.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Baldr said:
cidbahamut said:
Baldr said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Baldr said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Mr.Tea said:

Open source software

I not saying it was bug free, but it is costly to having to keep patching a game. Microsoft had already given them the ok to patch the game. They wanted to create a new patch, this time Microsoft told them they would have to pay for the bandwidth if they wanted to release a new patch.
See, all these arguments are thrown down the shitter when I see that XBLA's competitor (Steam) provides free patches and encourages the developer to keep patching post-release.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
MopBox said:
Seriously? Noooooo idea why an open source gaming console might be interesting? You haven't a single clue about the remarkable way that might open up indie development? Not a single clue as to how this might introduce console gaming to completely untapped markets?
Nope, not one.

You see, there's already this magic open-platform called a "PC" that everyone has one of, which is perfectly possible to hook up to a TV and plug a controller into.

And guess what, a PC can play more than 5 games that aren't utter crap.

But a 100-150 buck netbook a viola, you have something as easy to move and hook up as a Ouya, but that is also VASTLY more powerful and can play hundreds and hundreds of games, lots of which are FAR beyond the best games released on Android, and it's as easy for indies to develop for PC as for Android.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how adding the word "console" somehow makes it all worth it.
as someone who has a high end gaming machine, gaming laptop, ps3, android 4G smart phone, android tablet etc etc (seriously the list is getting rediculasly long) I can see the value of the ouya. basically while windows is open to develop on, its not open source. the difference is that an open source console (the ouya will be the first) would allow the owners to do whatever they want on it. no Sony locking out launch features because they don't want to support them (other OS), while also not wasting resourses on an all round bloated os like windows (yes win8 is far better than previous windows but the fact remains it will always be bloated with all the drivers, software etc to allow it to run on almost any pc vs just 1 hardware that consoles can guarentee). and the price point is a nice bonus, could have other non gaming uses for a small $99 portable computer.

capetcha: now look here - are you threaterning me captcha??

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Baldr said:
cidbahamut said:
Baldr said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Baldr said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Mr.Tea said:

Open source software

See, all these arguments are thrown down the shitter when I see that XBLA's competitor (Steam) provides free patches and encourages the developer to keep patching post-release.
They probably didn't think much of being a digital distribution platform and multiplayer service under the same protocols when the console launched 7 years ago. Most likely they will separate the two when the new console hits the shelves.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
How awesome would it be if the Ouya "beats" Nintendo's, Sony's and Microsoft's next consoles in terms of sales/adoption/development.

It won't happen, but maybe it'll do well enough to give the big 3 something to think about...

RadioactiveMicrobe

Mar 1, 2009
Nimzar said:
How awesome would it be if the Ouya "beats" Nintendo's, Sony's and Microsoft's next consoles in terms of sales/adoption/development.

It won't happen, but maybe it'll do well enough to give the big 3 something to think about...
Personally, I kind of hope it doesn't.

Judging by what I'm reading here, it'll house mostly small, almost social indie games.

I really don't want Microsoft and Sony to be all, "Oh man, we need to be more like that!"

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
*Curmudgeon Powers activate!*
I'm old enough to have seen enough consoles that were vaporware or DOA (possibly the PS Vita, Phantom, Playstation as a Nintendo product, Wonderswan, 32X, CDX, CDi, Virtual Boy, Apple Pippin) that I'm not even going to consider throwing money at the Ouya until I see a list of launch titles, minimum. A full review would be better, to hear how smoothly things like the UI and media streaming work. As far as using it as a media extender if nothing else, there are already devices to do that. At a ~$99 pricepoint... go read some reviews on the Boxxee box and you'll see why I passed on it. And that was something I -wanted- to see excel.

Much as I want to see the Ouya flourish, it just doesn't make sense from a development standpoint. If I'm making/made a game, I could develop it for & sell it on pre-existing, popular platforms (Steam, Google Play, iTunes, XBLA)... or on an as-of-yet untested platform with a userbase, and therefore maximum number of potential sales, that's -tiny- compared to the other platforms. Porting a game to work on Ouya (controls, if nothing else) takes resources away from things like the normal bug-fixing or updates, for an untested platform. -Hopefully- there would be enough sales of the Ouya version to provide a positive return on investment.

I suppose I would have more faith in Ouya if they had taken the route that Boxxee did, getting the software side up & running first, with the goal being hardware tailored to the system.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
I can't wait to get mine. Even if it never really takes off I will be very happy to own one. This is an important part of gaming history and I am going to be a part of it.

Not to mention the open nature of it will keep even a relatively small community going for years as anyone will be able to develop software for it.

capacollo

Nov 17, 2009
I thought I remembered the CEO saying that this is more than just a console and could a platform that could potentially be integrated into a TV or any other smart appliances (which seems to be becoming the trend). If it is then I can appreciate what they are doing more so for their vision.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
The only thing to ever come out of kickstarter that doesn't come off as a huge swindle. I'm still not optimistic, but at least it's coming to fruition... sort of.