OUYA Review - More Whimper Than Bang

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
369
0
0
OUYA Review - More Whimper Than Bang

An unfulfilled promise of revolution.

Read Full Article
 

PoolCleaningRobot

New member
Mar 18, 2012
1,237
0
0
That's a shame. I guess we really shouldn't have expected much for $99. An android stick pc with a duel core processor runs between $50 and $80 and a good android controller costs about $50 so I guess they had to cut corners somewhere. I still hope gaming on Android phones, tablets, and mini pc's takes off but I guess I'll hold out for official Google support for gaming or something like an Xperia Play 2. Still, the Ouya is the only Android pc I know of that has a terga processor in it, so maybe its still worth an investment as a small computer (not for me though)
 

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
369
0
0
I still stand by the fact that if the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy comes out for it, I will buy an OUYA, because Ace Attorney on the big screen? Come on people!
 

4RM3D

New member
May 10, 2011
1,738
0
0
TizzytheTormentor said:
I still stand by the fact that if the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy comes out for it, I will buy an OUYA, because Ace Attorney on the big screen? Come on people!
I should note that is already possible with the iPhone/iPad/iPod. The game has been released on iOS and you can stream it to your TV.

You could probably achieve the same thing with an Android Phone with a little tweaking, I think.

The OUYA might make it easier, but it's not necessary.
 

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
369
0
0
4RM3D said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
I still stand by the fact that if the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy comes out for it, I will buy an OUYA, because Ace Attorney on the big screen? Come on people!
I should note that is already possible with the iPhone/iPad/iPod. The game has been released on iOS and you can stream it to your TV.

You could probably achieve the same thing with an Android Phone with a little tweaking, I think.

The OUYA might make it easier, but it's not necessary.
Yeah, but I has no iOS or Android phone...

So a cheaper console with room to improve would be good.
 

Xennon

New member
Apr 24, 2004
37
0
0
Gonna post this here as well as the Facebook comments section.

Honestly, I find this review poor. Really hasn't done much research.

- Shrink wrap left on the controller? Really? Took me all of a minute to get it all off.
- Not sure why you were expecting there to be a toolset like LBP. That was never promised or planned. An SDK for developers to get their games on the platform was all that was expected.
- Agree that the library of games isn't great, but there are some decent ones. That is why the press playlists are all the same, because they all found the same good games.
- Not tried the wireless range, but I wired it straight away. Everyone I know who is serious about gaming has their machines wired. I don't know anyone who stored their Ethernet cables years ago :-/
- This review misses 2 real strong points of the system. a) The emulators. You can side load emulators for practically every old system. b) A media player. Install XBMC on this thing and it becomes an excellent and very inexpensive media player.
- The main menu seemed perfectly descriptive to me.
- Side loading apps gives you access to lots of additional content.
- The apps, like flixter, give access to additional movies and other items of functionality.

The OUYA is by no means perfect, but for $100 it is an excellent piece of kit and as the game library starts to grow it should get better and better. Frankly, if all it did was run XBMC as well as it does, I'd be happy with it! :)
 

hentropy

New member
Feb 25, 2012
737
0
0
Yeah I never had much big expectations for it, at least no right out of the gate. It seems like it will only be good for playing games that have already been released in one form or another. I just don't have much confidence that there will be developers out there who make quality games specifically for the Ouya. Putting the payment wall up there before you can play anything free or otherwise was also a bad decision, as someone who is very well acquainted with Apple products and iTunes, as well as what people complain about regarding iTunes.

TizzytheTormentor said:
I still stand by the fact that if the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy comes out for it, I will buy an OUYA, because Ace Attorney on the big screen? Come on people!
The HDness of Ace Attorney really does make it pretty awesome, especially if you haven't played the series in a while and don't distinctly remember the twists and turns. I can't imagine they won't release it for Android at some point. I play it on a tablet, but I can't imagine it would be that much more mind-blowing on the big screen, and it's not exactly complex in terms of operations, so it might be a but annoying to use a controller with it. Still, it speaks to the earlier point that the only thing the Kickstarter darling is good for at this point is playing stuff that we've already played.
 

Saxnot

New member
Mar 1, 2010
212
0
0
Not a very good review. let me explain in a long-winded post.

1. Cables instead of wireless: many people use cables to connect to their internet. I don't know what the statistics are, but it's certainly not an insignificant group. Your criticism isnt invalid, but it's worded in such a way that you seem to think people using ethernet are some small obscure subset and the developers were stupid to think many people would be using them.

2. Entering your credit card information: A nitpick, quite frankly. Whether you do this when first starting it up or when first buying a game, you'll still have to do it within hours of getting the thing. I assume you're not buying an android console just to play FTP games.

3. Making games: did the ouya developers ever promise to provide game developing tools? Was anyone expecting them to have some sort of game making software included? I don't understand how you got the idea that this would be like little big planet. they promised you could publish on your console, and you can.

4. Shrinkwrap hard to peel/categories being too artsy: I'm sorry, what? Is this still professional consumer advice or just everything that bugged you about the ouya? Your annoyance at category names and inability to peel off shrikwrap hardly seem like valid critisism.

The points you made that are actually relevant, like games being hard to find and the controller being uncomfortable get much less space in the article than personal annoyances and nitpicks, and positive points are relegated to the introduction and conclusion. The positive points you do mention have to do with it being small and affordable, and don't, in fact mention the actual functionality of the thing, like whether and what the advantages of android games on a big screen in HD are. You wrote a review of a gaming console without discussing how it runs games. This feels less like a proper review and more like an angry internet rant.
 

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
1,229
0
0
The review seems a little off, second article today on the Escapist I've found to be very substandard with strong hints of an underlying agenda.

A lack of little big planet style app? Shrink wrap? Ethernet connections being redundant in this day and age? Even the highly regarded Edge magazine made a reference to plugging in an ethernet cable to the Xbone in their latest issue. Very, very poor show Escapist.
 

Pedro The Hutt

New member
Apr 1, 2009
980
0
0
TizzytheTormentor said:
I still stand by the fact that if the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy comes out for it, I will buy an OUYA, because Ace Attorney on the big screen? Come on people!
Didn't they already have a Wii release? Where you can dramatically point the Wiimote forward to OBJECT to things?
 

PlasticTree

New member
May 17, 2009
523
0
0
Pedro The Hutt said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
I still stand by the fact that if the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy comes out for it, I will buy an OUYA, because Ace Attorney on the big screen? Come on people!
Didn't they already have a Wii release? Where you can dramatically point the Wiimote forward to OBJECT to things?
I'm not sure about that, but what I do know that at least one of the older games is available in the virtual console.
 
Jun 20, 2013
112
0
0
I'm still going to buy one because of how much I support the idea. If digital distribution is the future of software, then we need open platforms. We really need them. Everything both being closed off and digital is going to be a nightmare for everyone involved.
See: Xbox One.
 

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
369
0
0
Xennon said:
Gonna post this here as well as the Facebook comments section.

Honestly, I find this review poor. Really hasn't done much research.

- Shrink wrap left on the controller? Really? Took me all of a minute to get it all off.
- Not sure why you were expecting there to be a toolset like LBP. That was never promised or planned. An SDK for developers to get their games on the platform was all that was expected.
- Agree that the library of games isn't great, but there are some decent ones. That is why the press playlists are all the same, because they all found the same good games.
- Not tried the wireless range, but I wired it straight away. Everyone I know who is serious about gaming has their machines wired. I don't know anyone who stored their Ethernet cables years ago :-/
- This review misses 2 real strong points of the system. a) The emulators. You can side load emulators for practically every old system. b) A media player. Install XBMC on this thing and it becomes an excellent and very inexpensive media player.
- The main menu seemed perfectly descriptive to me.
- Side loading apps gives you access to lots of additional content.
- The apps, like flixter, give access to additional movies and other items of functionality.

The OUYA is by no means perfect, but for $100 it is an excellent piece of kit and as the game library starts to grow it should get better and better. Frankly, if all it did was run XBMC as well as it does, I'd be happy with it! :)
There is still the issue of, "I already can play all these games as is on my iPhone/DS/[Insert Gaming System Here]. There is nothing worthwhile in buying this thing. Even as a collector, I don't think it is worth anything to even make the minuscule amount of space it would take to put it in my collection.
 

Vivi22

New member
Aug 22, 2010
2,300
0
0
If you were hoping this would be like Little Big Planet, offering tools to create your own game, you'll be disappointed. You're simply given an avenue to upload an already designed and programmed game, which doesn't offer incentive to regular consumers.
Absolutely no one anywhere was expecting that so I fail to see why it's even being brought up. Even acknowledging that the general consensus on the Ouya is that the first release is far from perfect (but considering yearly updates to the hardware are the plan, I'd expect that to change), some of the stuff in this review is questionable. At best comments like these show an utter lack of research making me call the qualification of the reviewer into question. At worst it may demonstrate some intentional bias, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and attribute criticism's like this to simple ignorance rather than malice.

Although we don't recommend shaking it intentionally, the OUYA is actually durable enough to be jostled during gameplay without crashing your game.
Considering there are no actual moving parts the only thing I can think is "duh."
 

Vivi22

New member
Aug 22, 2010
2,300
0
0
Capitano Segnaposto said:
There is still the issue of, "I already can play all these games as is on my iPhone/DS/[Insert Gaming System Here]. There is nothing worthwhile in buying this thing. Even as a collector, I don't think it is worth anything to even make the minuscule amount of space it would take to put it in my collection.
It's a brand new Android console offering a controller, en masse, for the first time to the platform. Of course there's not much more than some quick ports and the like. Give it some time and I'd imagine we'll see some developers putting out games meant to use the controller that you can't do on things like the iPad.

If this were the PS4, Wii U, or Xbone, would you take a look at the launch lineup only and write them off for good? Because launch lineups always suck. Always. I think it's actually a rule to be honest.
 

Madmanonfire

New member
Jul 24, 2009
301
0
0
PlasticTree said:
Pedro The Hutt said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
I still stand by the fact that if the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy comes out for it, I will buy an OUYA, because Ace Attorney on the big screen? Come on people!
Didn't they already have a Wii release? Where you can dramatically point the Wiimote forward to OBJECT to things?
I'm not sure about that, but what I do know that at least one of the older games is available in the virtual console.
All three games of the trilogy are on Wii's virtual console. Yes, you can point dramatically with the Wiimote to object. And it's better, IMO, than the buggy HD trilogy version.
 

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
1,262
0
0
Why did anybody think Android was a suitable OS for a game console? That's a mind-boggling decision.
 

Zombie_Moogle

New member
Dec 25, 2008
666
0
0
Saxnot said:
Xennon said:
Wow, looks like you guys beat me to the punch

I've been pretty thrilled with my Ouya. Spent the first night with it playing Towerfall for hours with friends
Love the side-loading & dev support
Personally, I've had no problem with the wireless, but then again I'm an offline gaming kinda guy (albeit one that doesn't mind digital distribution]

Both of these guys brought it up in their posts, but this bares a lot of repeating: Who exactly thought this was going to be a Little Big Planet box? Not gonna rail on the writer (much) because maybe people they knew had this impression (somehow) & they're just dispelling the notion, but again, I have no clue why anyone would have that impression.

I'll be back with more, once I hammer out the setup of a good VNC so I can play Skyrim on my Ouya at full spec... just cuz ;)
 

elvor0

New member
Sep 8, 2008
2,320
0
0
The review itself has some pretty poor points, which a few people have already said so I won't elaborate.

On the console itself, I'm not...really surprised. I mean seriously, anyone who thought this was going to be the next big thing are likely the same people who thought gaming was going to move to purely Zynga-esque facebook/mobile gaming. ie: Totally fucking clueless. I remember the newspapers hyping it as something sure to put a dent in MS, Sony and Nintendos user base. Even if you didn't think it was going to be a big thing, it's an entirely superfluous investment in both R&D and cash. I'm still not sure why it got funded in the first place.

Anyone who wants to play android games or mobile games, you know what they already have? A fucking smartphone. What can you plug that into? Your TV. Heck I can already get angry birds on my xbox if for some strange reason I feel like playing it on my TV, god knows why I'd want to stick games designed for a tiny screen on my huge HDTV in the first place, but I see no reason why I'd want to spend $100 dollars on console that plays what are essentially browser games. Yeah sure the games are fun, but they're /mobile/ based games for a reason.

That may come off as overly aggressive towards the thing, it's just more I'm confused as to why the thing /got/ so heavily funded and hyped as it did.

I am aware of the goodness of an open source console, I really am, but I feel like this was a wasted opportunity, why bother with something like this when really what needs to happen is a beefy console that can actually compete with the big boys, baby steps and all, but this feels like more of a stumble than a step.
 

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
523
0
0
This doesn't surprise me in the slightest. The more I heard about the Ouya, the less interested I became.
 

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
369
0
0
Vivi22 said:
Capitano Segnaposto said:
There is still the issue of, "I already can play all these games as is on my iPhone/DS/[Insert Gaming System Here]. There is nothing worthwhile in buying this thing. Even as a collector, I don't think it is worth anything to even make the minuscule amount of space it would take to put it in my collection.
It's a brand new Android console offering a controller, en masse, for the first time to the platform. Of course there's not much more than some quick ports and the like. Give it some time and I'd imagine we'll see some developers putting out games meant to use the controller that you can't do on things like the iPad.

If this were the PS4, Wii U, or Xbone, would you take a look at the launch lineup only and write them off for good? Because launch lineups always suck. Always. I think it's actually a rule to be honest.
They do? At least with the Wii U's launch line-up, I had a lot of fun with Zombi-U, NintendoLand, and New Super Mario Bros U. I thought they were all excellent.

I didn't buy a PS3/360 at launch as I didn't have the money, same with PS2/Xbox/Gamecube. However, each console should have "exclusives" and a "Killer App", which the Ouya does not have at the moment. I will chalk this up to them being new to this whole business, but generally you want to at least have One AMAZING thing that your console has that others do not. For Microsoft, it is Halo/Xbox Live. For Sony, it is Playstation Plus (with its exclusives), and for Nintendo it is its huge list of first-party titles that generally never fail to please in some form or another.
 

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
263
0
0
Vivi22 said:
If you were hoping this would be like Little Big Planet, offering tools to create your own game, you'll be disappointed. You're simply given an avenue to upload an already designed and programmed game, which doesn't offer incentive to regular consumers.
Absolutely no one anywhere was expecting that so I fail to see why it's even being brought up. Even acknowledging that the general consensus on the Ouya is that the first release is far from perfect (but considering yearly updates to the hardware are the plan, I'd expect that to change), some of the stuff in this review is questionable. At best comments like these show an utter lack of research making me call the qualification of the reviewer into question. At worst it may demonstrate some intentional bias, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and attribute criticism's like this to simple ignorance rather than malice.

Although we don't recommend shaking it intentionally, the OUYA is actually durable enough to be jostled during gameplay without crashing your game.
Considering there are no actual moving parts the only thing I can think is "duh."
How many people move their xbox 360 while playing it?

I did... ONCE.. then I had to try to get a new Rockband disk as mine had a massive trough dug in it from where the reader hit it.

This was a terrible review which stank of bias and elitism.
 

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
369
0
0
I truly, truly cannot fathom how anyone thought that this thing would be a good idea.

Honestly, even the "but it's cheap" argument doesn't hold much water, most everyone gets their phone with a plan, and you could get an android phone that's more powerful than this thing for probably around the same price if you get it with a plan, and that way you'd also have, you know, a good phone.

I just don't understand what purpose this thing serves.

Vivi22 said:
Absolutely no one anywhere was expecting that
Oh ho, is that so?

Considering some of the things that some people obviously expected of this thing, I find that quite a tall claim.

Do you remember that hilarious list with the games that the backers would most like to see on the Ouya? You know, the one with fucking Skyrim at the top.
 

Frostbite3789

New member
Jul 12, 2010
1,778
0
0
Xennon said:
- Not tried the wireless range, but I wired it straight away. Everyone I know who is serious about gaming has their machines wired. I don't know anyone who stored their Ethernet cables years ago :-/
That would be cool if people weren't having a myriad of problems with the Ouya outright ignoring wired connections.
 

Frostbite3789

New member
Jul 12, 2010
1,778
0
0
Vivi22 said:
Absolutely no one anywhere was expecting that so I fail to see why it's even being brought up.
Except for the Ouya people themselves. Who in their KS video talked about toppling the big 3? Yeah. Nobody expected that. Except that's what they were selling.
 

saintdane05

New member
Aug 2, 2011
1,849
0
0
TizzytheTormentor said:
I still stand by the fact that if the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy comes out for it, I will buy an OUYA, because Ace Attorney on the big screen? Come on people!
Or you could just use the Wiiware version. That would work.
 

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
369
0
0
saintdane05 said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
I still stand by the fact that if the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy comes out for it, I will buy an OUYA, because Ace Attorney on the big screen? Come on people!
Or you could just use the Wiiware version. That would work.
I was talking about the HD releases and to not have that that obnoxious banners at the side.

A full HD version that is optimized for widescreen would be wonderful.
 

Flunk

New member
Feb 17, 2008
915
0
0
This really isn't surprising, they just don't have any software for it. No only that, the hardware is terrible.
 

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
3,028
0
0
Aardvaarkman said:
Why did anybody think Android was a suitable OS for a game console? That's a mind-boggling decision.
The Dreamcast used Windows CE. OS has nothing to do with it.
 

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
3,147
0
0
Aardvaarkman said:
Why did anybody think Android was a suitable OS for a game console? That's a mind-boggling decision.
Theres no reason Android as an OS can't be used on a console, it is after all basically Linux which PS3 also used as a basis for their OS. The hardware though is where the big questionmark lies. Personally I see the potential and honestly have no issues with a small console for older and graphically simpler games, its what the games are like to play that matters. The potential is there and I hope it takes off (if it does the next one would be more powerful and they'd quickly catch up to the big 3, baby steps mate). Not to mention for $100 it's not exactly a big risk, I've spent more on that for 1 game so really....
 

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
24,760
0
0
PoolCleaningRobot said:
That's a shame.
I disagree, mostly because of the rest of what you say. It was never going to be a good product barring magic. The only shame is that people were swept up by grandiose and unrealistic premises. But that's gaming as a rule, and Kickstarter almost by definition.

RicoADF said:
Theres no reason Android as an OS can't be used on a console, it is after all basically Linux which PS3 also used as a basis for their OS. The hardware though is where the big questionmark lies.
There's also the issue not of "can," but "will." I question the wisdom of an Android console because the primary development is still going to be for tablets and smartphones. It could be done, but there seems to be little incentive to do so.

Although bringing my Droid library to my big screen would be cool.

Actually, it is cool, but I can HDMI out in the first place. And I can attach bluetooth devices, so I can play wirelessly. AND, it's truly portable, because I don't need a big screen. Now, my setup was more expensive, but it seems most of the people this would benefit HAVE a tablet or smart phone. I know it's not exclusively so.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Blame the late hour. I think my brain dribbled out my ear and into bed an hour ago.
 

NoeL

New member
May 14, 2011
841
0
0
RicoADF said:
Aardvaarkman said:
Why did anybody think Android was a suitable OS for a game console? That's a mind-boggling decision.
Theres no reason Android as an OS can't be used on a console, it is after all basically Linux which PS3 also used as a basis for their OS.
That's not the problem. Being "Linux-based" means almost nothing. Android is a terrible gaming OS because programs are forced to run on a "virtual machine" rather than the actual hardware. While this is good for stability (if a program crashes it doesn't take the system with it - you can just force-close the program in question) it's terrible for efficiency. Where just about any other OS will let programs interface directly with the hardware components, Android only lets programs interface with the virtual machine, then Android interfaces with the hardware. This causes a lot of unnecessary overhead and why emulators tend to suffer from audio lag. There's just too much unnecessary shit going on under the hood that prevents games using the hardware to its potential.
 

josemlopes

New member
Jun 9, 2008
3,950
0
0
Shit, even I am not much into the OUYA but expecting a Little Big Planet type of feature and seeing if you can play while shaking the console, wtf?

Just buy it if you are into retro games, the emulators alone are worth it (although sadly it isnt powerfull enough for the PS2 era, and the PS1 shows some struggle). The android games are just a plus.
 

MetalMagpie

New member
Jun 13, 2011
1,523
0
0
Slightly strange review.

I didn't think they were promoting the Ouya as being suitable for non-techys to make games for, so the Little Big Planet comment seems a little off. Then again, Ouya have been rather strangely promoting their console as a direct competitor to the Big Three, when both the price and capabilities make it far more a complementary device like a tablet.

Asking for credit card details before allowing access to the game library seems a little bit cheeky after all the "everything is free" promotion they did. At least Google let me try loads of free games before sucking my card details off me in exchange for non-free ones.

A warning to anyone with children: The parental controls were added to the Ouya very late and (based on the comments) still appear to be a little flaky. Left unsupervised, your kids may be able to ring up huge bills with in-app purchases.
 

MetalMagpie

New member
Jun 13, 2011
1,523
0
0
Just been to check out the Ouya website. The front page says this in large letters:

Once you're in - it takes just $99 - every game on OUYA is free to try, free to love and absolutely free to brag about.
"But we'll insist on taking your credit card details before letting you use the console anyway. Because we don't make any money off you playing games for free, so want to convert you to a paying customer as smoothly as possible." ;)
 

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
5,134
0
0
To be honest, what this little console does bring to the table still sounds appealing to me, especially with the added benefit of emulators. I'll wait a few weeks to see if there are any actual problems like overheating or CC info theft, but if things turn out alright I'll probably buy one. :)
 

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
1,443
0
0
Whats this about limited game selection? i assumed as an Android system you could download anything from Google play store?

Does this mean SNES/PS1/Megadrive Emulators cant be downloaded?
 

Monsterfurby

New member
Mar 7, 2008
871
0
0
josemlopes said:
Shit, even I am not much into the OUYA but expecting a Little Big Planet type of feature and seeing if you can play while shaking the console, wtf?

Just buy it if you are into retro games, the emulators alone are worth it (although sadly it isnt powerfull enough for the PS2 era, and the PS1 shows some struggle). The android games are just a plus.
I agree, the review is somewhat off, but the point still stands that the idea of the Ouya itself is... flawed at best, and always has been.

As for emulation: really? My Nexus 7 runs late-era PSX games like Final Fantasy IX perfectly. I'd definitely expect the Ouya to perform even better.
 

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
2,093
0
0
Monsterfurby said:
josemlopes said:
Shit, even I am not much into the OUYA but expecting a Little Big Planet type of feature and seeing if you can play while shaking the console, wtf?

Just buy it if you are into retro games, the emulators alone are worth it (although sadly it isnt powerfull enough for the PS2 era, and the PS1 shows some struggle). The android games are just a plus.
I agree, the review is somewhat off, but the point still stands that the idea of the Ouya itself is... flawed at best, and always has been.

As for emulation: really? My Nexus 7 runs late-era PSX games like Final Fantasy IX perfectly. I'd definitely expect the Ouya to perform even better.
Yeah, If you are just buying it for emulation, just get a decent phone or tablet. Then you can do it on the go instead.
 

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
3,888
0
0
GoaThief said:
A lack of little big planet style app? Shrink wrap? Ethernet connections being redundant in this day and age? Even the highly regarded Edge magazine made a reference to plugging in an ethernet cable to the Xbone in their latest issue. Very, very poor show Escapist.
Ethernet redundant? The fuck? I use it all the time, it's faster and significantly more reliable than wireless.
 

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
369
0
0
Chairman Miaow said:
If you are just buying it for emulation, just get a decent phone or tablet. Then you can do it on the go instead.
Emulation on a phone is a great thing, but it doesn't let you play games with a friend or two, using a controller, on a large screen. (Though I guess some phones will connect to a large screen.)
 

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
3,782
0
0
Chairman Miaow said:
Yeah, If you are just buying it for emulation, just get a decent phone or tablet. Then you can do it on the go instead.
A $400+ phone/tablet that doesn't have HDMI or a controller or a cheap, portable console with full HDMI support, a USB port for easy swapping of games/emulators and a controller?

Gee I wonder which one sounds like a good choice for a emulation machine?
 

MetalMagpie

New member
Jun 13, 2011
1,523
0
0
Quellist said:
Whats this about limited game selection? i assumed as an Android system you could download anything from Google play store?

Does this mean SNES/PS1/Megadrive Emulators cant be downloaded?
It doesn't use the Google Play store. Ouya has its own game store that publishers and game-makers have to submit to separately.

You can also "side-load" games by downloading them on your computer and then transferring them to the Ouya using a USB stick, but they still need to be in some way compatible.

There are emulators available in the Ouya game store, but you need to side-load the roms.
 

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
369
0
0
I bought this thing to play my ROMS because I dont want to HDMI my laptop all day. SO now I can play all my gameboy, SNES, Mega Drive and N64 games neatly. That alone was worth it to me because it was only 90 euros. I think some people expected too much here.
 

Andrew_C

New member
Mar 1, 2011
460
0
0
This review is flawed, what made you think it came with a "Little Big Planet style game designer"? But the console is flawed as well, it's basically a techie toy, a nice techie toy, but not really a serious console. I really don't understand why so many backers on Kickstarter thought it would be a serious challenge to the big 3 consoles.

As far as i can see, the main reason to buy it is to wipe the OS and use it as a media centre. It's not too much more expensive than one of those Android USB stick devices, you don't have to pay a daft price for a decent WiFi or Bluetooth remote, and it works with TV's that don't have a USB slot. Although something like a Boxee box isn't all that more expensive and a lot more convenient anyway.

Like the previous project from the designer, the OLPC, It's a nice idea with good intentions that might even accidentally cause some technical innovation, but it's ultimately reduntant and the totally wrong answer to the problem, anyway.
 

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
1,443
0
0
MetalMagpie said:
Quellist said:
Whats this about limited game selection? i assumed as an Android system you could download anything from Google play store?

Does this mean SNES/PS1/Megadrive Emulators cant be downloaded?
It doesn't use the Google Play store. Ouya has its own game store that publishers and game-makers have to submit to separately.

You can also "side-load" games by downloading them on your computer and then transferring them to the Ouya using a USB stick, but they still need to be in some way compatible.

There are emulators available in the Ouya game store, but you need to side-load the roms.
Thanks for the Info man, much more helpful than the review :)

I see MD.emu, FPse and Snes9X all in the store so my main reason for wanting one is still valid
 

PoolCleaningRobot

New member
Mar 18, 2012
1,237
0
0
Zachary Amaranth said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
That's a shame.
I disagree, mostly because of the rest of what you say. It was never going to be a good product barring magic. The only shame is that people were swept up by grandiose and unrealistic premises. But that's gaming as a rule, and Kickstarter almost by definition.
Well I agree with you, but that's not me. All the Ouya is, is an android mini pc with a terga 4 processor, a dedicated controller, and a custom tv interface. That's really it. I just hoped it would create incentive to make a more console like gaming experience for android. Besides, if people are willing to homebrew for hacked consoles, there's no reason to believe people won't make games for an open platform like android. I was disappointed about the pay wall and shitty controller among other things, but those can be rectified by buying your own controller and using different software

Although bringing my Droid library to my big screen would be cool.

Actually, it is cool, but I can HDMI out in the first place. And I can attach bluetooth devices, so I can play wirelessly. AND, it's truly portable, because I don't need a big screen. Now, my setup was more expensive, but it seems most of the people this would benefit HAVE a tablet or smart phone. I know it's not exclusively so.
For me, I plan on getting a good phone (which is why I'm not specifically interested in the Ouya right now) but in order to use it more like an Ouya I'd need some kind of dock with usb ports and an hdmi out but the only such device I can find is like $40 and its only for the Galaxy S4 which my carrier doesn't have. It would almost be a little more convenient for me to spend a little more and buy an Ouya, but I'm also a little obsessed with smart phones so I won't do that

Anyway, I'm rambling. Blame the late hour. I think my brain dribbled out my ear and into bed an hour ago.
I guess I'm rambling too now, I just woke up and haven't had coffee
 

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
589
0
0
Xennon said:
- Not tried the wireless range, but I wired it straight away. Everyone I know who is serious about gaming has their machines wired. I don't know anyone who stored their Ethernet cables years ago :-/
You bring up some good points, but I wanted to point out one thing. I thought the whole point of the OUYA was that it was (mostly) for people who weren't serious about gaming (the low price tag, casual games, etc), so this strikes me as a weak defense.

Also, I consider myself pretty serious about gaming, but my apartment layout doesn't really allow for wiring my consoles (2 bedroom apartment, 2 stories, modem is upstairs, tv is downstairs), at least not without a wiring situation that would be hazardous at best. Some people just can't conveniently wire their systems. So this could be an issue (if true; I don't have an OUYA to test it).
 

geizr

New member
Oct 9, 2008
850
0
0
I didnt't think this would do that well. A console running a mobile OS to play mobile games in the living room with a controller, a device which the games were not built assuming that the gamer would use? Wouldn't it just be better to whip out one's Android tablet or phone and play on that? Honestly, the only ones I see this device appealing to are die-hard, zealous open source advocates and tinkerer geeks who like doing things like writing their own drivers for devices in Linux, as well as those who seek to put Linux on everything with a processor of any sort. The need to enter a credit card number as the first thing to access software for the device feels like a hardware-based phishing scam.

ADDENDUM: I suppose the biggest use for it, though, is to load emulators to play games from older consoles. Even so, the upfront credit card info request, to me, is very off-putting.
 

Randeth

New member
Apr 2, 2013
1
0
0
I do like my Ouya (especially the controller), but it is definitely a niche product in a niche market. So far it's been best used as an Emulator. I do hope it spurs some good indie game development and finds some solid Headline inducing titles to keep it afloat.
 

FancyNick

New member
Mar 4, 2013
162
0
0
This is apparently a touchy subject to some people.

OT: I welcome any console that can bring competition to the big 3 but it wouldn't appear that the Ouya is that console. Maybe I'll be proved wrong in the future but right now I am uninterested in buying one
 

Xennon

New member
Apr 24, 2004
37
0
0
TheCommanders said:
Xennon said:
- Not tried the wireless range, but I wired it straight away. Everyone I know who is serious about gaming has their machines wired. I don't know anyone who stored their Ethernet cables years ago :-/
You bring up some good points, but I wanted to point out one thing. I thought the whole point of the OUYA was that it was (mostly) for people who weren't serious about gaming (the low price tag, casual games, etc), so this strikes me as a weak defense.

Also, I consider myself pretty serious about gaming, but my apartment layout doesn't really allow for wiring my consoles (2 bedroom apartment, 2 stories, modem is upstairs, tv is downstairs), at least not without a wiring situation that would be hazardous at best. Some people just can't conveniently wire their systems. So this could be an issue (if true; I don't have an OUYA to test it).
It wasn't really a defence, it was more pointing out that Ethernet isn't some dead technology like the article claimed it was. If the wireless really is bad, then that is something that should be fixed and isn't acceptable.

As for your wiring situation, Poweline Adaptors. Seriously. They're magic. I got 2 gigabit ones for about £40 and they've been running perfectly for 2 years after I had a year of constant trouble with my wireless (and paying lots more for replacement kit as things broke or wouldn't work).
 

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
589
0
0
Xennon said:
It wasn't really a defence, it was more pointing out that Ethernet isn't some dead technology like the article claimed it was. If the wireless really is bad, then that is something that should be fixed and isn't acceptable.

As for your wiring situation, Poweline Adaptors. Seriously. They're magic. I got 2 gigabit ones for about £40 and they've been running perfectly for 2 years after I had a year of constant trouble with my wireless (and paying lots more for replacement kit as things broke or wouldn't work).
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm moving in a few weeks though, so maybe I'll just get lucky and have a better set up. I'm not living with a roommate anymore, so the apartment is smaller... which is probably a good sign?
 

Adam Locking

New member
Aug 10, 2012
220
0
0
geizr said:
A console running a mobile OS to play mobile games in the living room with a controller, a device which the games were not built assuming that the gamer would use? Wouldn't it just be better to whip out one's Android tablet or phone and play on that?
Not to sound rude (despite how this may come off, I really don't) but I wish people would spend the sixty seconds research required to see this isn't the case. The Ouya has its own store, featuring games either developed for or ported specifically for use with the controller. While not all of the ports are good, they are at least functional, and some are a million times better than the mobile version, as half the screen is no longer taken up by those horrendous 'virtual controls'.
 

Ariolander

New member
Sep 15, 2009
7
0
0
I bought mine for Emulation and XBMC and it hasn't disappointed.

The gaming aspect is pretty 'meh', I am pretty miffed how opaque the Discovery Store is and how I can never seem to find out a game's pricing and monetization info unless they are bragging how they are NOT exploitative in the description.

The only time you ever see the price of a game, is when you are 1 mis-click away from purchasing it. The fact that CC info is REQUIRED before even starting the device up makes the entire 'free' pricing scheme seem predatory.
 

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
2,093
0
0
Ed130 said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Yeah, If you are just buying it for emulation, just get a decent phone or tablet. Then you can do it on the go instead.
A $400+ phone/tablet that doesn't have HDMI or a controller or a cheap, portable console with full HDMI support, a USB port for easy swapping of games/emulators and a controller?

Gee I wonder which one sounds like a good choice for a emulation machine?
Well, I got my Tablet free with my £18 a month phone contract that I was going to get anyway and it can emulate anything ps1 and earlier. There are plenty you can get for a lot less than $400 and you will use them for a lot more than just emulation. Your analogy is invalid.
 

Murmur95

New member
Sep 18, 2008
67
0
0
Totally awful review.

OUYA is meant to break the mould of what a console game system is, they are trying to make the console about games and not about graphics power. It will take time to move in that direction and they won't get it right until later but this is a great first step.

I think 200 launch games is not bad at all, how many wii-u games did they have at launch? "Nintendo has confirmed 23 games that will launch with Wii U." yes...23 and you are complaining about 200?

My one big problem with OUYA is that they have not released the source for it so we can't mod it well.
 

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
3,782
0
0
Chairman Miaow said:
Ed130 said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Yeah, If you are just buying it for emulation, just get a decent phone or tablet. Then you can do it on the go instead.
A $400+ phone/tablet that doesn't have HDMI or a controller or a cheap, portable console with full HDMI support, a USB port for easy swapping of games/emulators and a controller?

Gee I wonder which one sounds like a good choice for a emulation machine?
Well, I got my Tablet free with my £18 a month phone contract that I was going to get anyway and it can emulate anything ps1 and earlier. There are plenty you can get for a lot less than $400 and you will use them for a lot more than just emulation. Your analogy is invalid.
Just because you can get a tablet for cheap doesn't invalidate all my other arguments.

Have fun with your 8 inch screen and crappy touch-screen controls, I'll just sit back, relax and emulate on my wide-screen TV.

Hell I could even use one of the HDMI enabled lecture theaters if I really wanted to go all out.
 

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
2,093
0
0
Ed130 said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Ed130 said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Yeah, If you are just buying it for emulation, just get a decent phone or tablet. Then you can do it on the go instead.
A $400+ phone/tablet that doesn't have HDMI or a controller or a cheap, portable console with full HDMI support, a USB port for easy swapping of games/emulators and a controller?

Gee I wonder which one sounds like a good choice for a emulation machine?
Well, I got my Tablet free with my £18 a month phone contract that I was going to get anyway and it can emulate anything ps1 and earlier. There are plenty you can get for a lot less than $400 and you will use them for a lot more than just emulation. Your analogy is invalid.
Just because you can get a tablet for cheap doesn't invalidate all my other arguments.

Have fun with your 8 inch screen and crappy touch-screen controls, I'll just sit back, relax and emulate on my wide-screen TV.

Hell I could even use one of the HDMI enabled lecture theaters if I really wanted to go all out.
Errrm..... I can still connect my Tablet to a TV and plug in a control. Plenty of people can get cheap tablets as well.
 

Nimcha

New member
Dec 6, 2010
2,383
0
0
This seems odd. The only real criticism apart from a slightly uncomfortable controller seems to be the lack of actual good games. It's Android, what did anyone expect? The only game I ever play on my Android phone is GTA Vice City and if I want to play that on a big screen I just grab my PS2...
 

KungFuJazzHands

New member
Mar 31, 2013
309
0
0
Biased article is biased. I personally have zero interest in buying an Ouya, but I've been following its development since day one and well aware of all its shortcomings. I have a strong feeling the author of this piece had a bone to pick with the system before he even broke the box open -- a lot of his complaints are just pure nitpicking.

Come on Escapist, we expect better of you guys.
 

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
3,782
0
0
Chairman Miaow said:
Ed130 said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Ed130 said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Yeah, If you are just buying it for emulation, just get a decent phone or tablet. Then you can do it on the go instead.
A $400+ phone/tablet that doesn't have HDMI or a controller or a cheap, portable console with full HDMI support, a USB port for easy swapping of games/emulators and a controller?

Gee I wonder which one sounds like a good choice for a emulation machine?
Well, I got my Tablet free with my £18 a month phone contract that I was going to get anyway and it can emulate anything ps1 and earlier. There are plenty you can get for a lot less than $400 and you will use them for a lot more than just emulation. Your analogy is invalid.
Just because you can get a tablet for cheap doesn't invalidate all my other arguments.

Have fun with your 8 inch screen and crappy touch-screen controls, I'll just sit back, relax and emulate on my wide-screen TV.

Hell I could even use one of the HDMI enabled lecture theaters if I really wanted to go all out.
Errrm..... I can still connect my Tablet to a TV and plug in a control. Plenty of people can get cheap tablets as well.
So a tablet costing 432 pounds (assuming standard 24 month plan) without a controller and (if lucky) a micro HDMI port is a better deal than a $99USD dedicated console?

Oookkkaayy...
 

Guybythestreet

New member
May 31, 2009
26
0
0
Xennon said:
Gonna post this here as well as the Facebook comments section.

Honestly, I find this review poor. Really hasn't done much research.

- Shrink wrap left on the controller? Really? Took me all of a minute to get it all off.
- Not sure why you were expecting there to be a toolset like LBP. That was never promised or planned. An SDK for developers to get their games on the platform was all that was expected.
- Agree that the library of games isn't great, but there are some decent ones. That is why the press playlists are all the same, because they all found the same good games.
- Not tried the wireless range, but I wired it straight away. Everyone I know who is serious about gaming has their machines wired. I don't know anyone who stored their Ethernet cables years ago :-/
- This review misses 2 real strong points of the system. a) The emulators. You can side load emulators for practically every old system. b) A media player. Install XBMC on this thing and it becomes an excellent and very inexpensive media player.
- The main menu seemed perfectly descriptive to me.
- Side loading apps gives you access to lots of additional content.
- The apps, like flixter, give access to additional movies and other items of functionality.

The OUYA is by no means perfect, but for $100 it is an excellent piece of kit and as the game library starts to grow it should get better and better. Frankly, if all it did was run XBMC as well as it does, I'd be happy with it! :)
This, I don't have an OUYA but the reviews complaints about the game seemed mostly pointless. Using an ethernet cable and having the minor inconvenience of signing up for an account and having to put in your credit card info isn't something that would damn a console. If this was the PS4 or XboxOne people would have written this off as mildly bothersome but not ruining the experience.

I also wanted to emphasize this posters remark about the game making remark. I don't think at any point did anyone think the OUYA was an engine for creating a game directly on it. Wasn't one of those major ideas that any indie developer could get their game onto it?
 

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
2,093
0
0
Ed130 said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Ed130 said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Ed130 said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Yeah, If you are just buying it for emulation, just get a decent phone or tablet. Then you can do it on the go instead.
A $400+ phone/tablet that doesn't have HDMI or a controller or a cheap, portable console with full HDMI support, a USB port for easy swapping of games/emulators and a controller?

Gee I wonder which one sounds like a good choice for a emulation machine?
Well, I got my Tablet free with my £18 a month phone contract that I was going to get anyway and it can emulate anything ps1 and earlier. There are plenty you can get for a lot less than $400 and you will use them for a lot more than just emulation. Your analogy is invalid.
Just because you can get a tablet for cheap doesn't invalidate all my other arguments.

Have fun with your 8 inch screen and crappy touch-screen controls, I'll just sit back, relax and emulate on my wide-screen TV.

Hell I could even use one of the HDMI enabled lecture theaters if I really wanted to go all out.
Errrm..... I can still connect my Tablet to a TV and plug in a control. Plenty of people can get cheap tablets as well.
So a tablet costing 432 pounds (assuming standard 24 month plan) without a controller and (if lucky) a micro HDMI port is a better deal than a $99USD dedicated console?

Oookkkaayy...
It is when for that you also get a phone with really good minutes, unlimited texts and decent internet(which absolutely everybody has and needs in this day and age) and a tablet (which can do a lot more than just emulation.

I also don't see why you are being so rude about it either.
 

JasonBurnout16

New member
Oct 12, 2009
386
0
0
The one thing not mentioned in this review, or any other review that I've read is the average price of a full game on Ouya.

That's something I'd quite like to know.
 

batterj2

New member
Mar 10, 2009
29
0
0
Pretty poor review as has been said repeatedly. Credit card registration no different from mobile markets, wireless performs well enough, in-game editors are down to the game, not the platform etc. (that last point was completely irrelevant). No, there aren't many games because its only just launched and not enough developers have had a device to test it on until recently (trust me, if you're serious about development you don't upload your product without testing on the hardware first). Give it time and the right games will appear - hoping for Skyrim is utter nonsense but you can bet a fair amount Epic are working on an OUYA port for UDK.

In regards to some of the comments made here, the fact its running on Android is irrelevant and there is a common misconception that you can't contact the hardware - truth of the matter is, you don't need to for the games you're designing for this platform (if you do you're over-extending your reach and it is unnecessary - the standard libraries are fine, you don't need direct access to FSBs etc.). What you CAN do is significantly optimise your code with assembly as it allows the NDK - this is actually a viable option for a change because its fixed hardware.

The whole point of this console is to shake up the very sector its in - current AAA consoles are still following on outdated and crippingly expensive way of doing things, forcing only the big developers to be the only ones capable of taking even a slight risk on it. Indie/small/medium developers can't afford to make new IP for them - no way. Whilst the OUYA might not be the silver bullet, its sure as hell a sign of new markets to come - Google are making their own box as are Apple. We're finally going to see more varied/interesting IP because it doesn't cost anywhere near as much to develop for these new consoles. I think the mobile market is peaking (if it hasn't already) and its going to be much more satisfying to see your game on a TV then on a mobile/tablet.

I'm sure you can tell - I'm excited to see how this pans out over the next couple of years, as a gamer and a developer. :)
 

MorphingDragon

New member
Apr 17, 2009
566
0
0
Aardvaarkman said:
Why did anybody think Android was a suitable OS for a game console? That's a mind-boggling decision.
As apposed to what, Big Chunky Windows?

NoeL said:
RicoADF said:
Aardvaarkman said:
Why did anybody think Android was a suitable OS for a game console? That's a mind-boggling decision.
Theres no reason Android as an OS can't be used on a console, it is after all basically Linux which PS3 also used as a basis for their OS.
That's not the problem. Being "Linux-based" means almost nothing. Android is a terrible gaming OS because programs are forced to run on a "virtual machine" rather than the actual hardware. While this is good for stability (if a program crashes it doesn't take the system with it - you can just force-close the program in question) it's terrible for efficiency. Where just about any other OS will let programs interface directly with the hardware components, Android only lets programs interface with the virtual machine, then Android interfaces with the hardware. This causes a lot of unnecessary overhead and why emulators tend to suffer from audio lag. There's just too much unnecessary shit going on under the hood that prevents games using the hardware to its potential.
That's not true, at all.

You don't need to run everything inside the Dalivik VM. There is the Android NDK which allows native code, hooking into native libraries and interfacing directly with the userland.

http://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ndk/index.html
 

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
1,525
0
0
I'll buy it after I get my PS4 and my friends old graphics card. I don't care much that at its current moment people aren't fully developing for it, and mostly just porting, but sooner or later I'm sure some people will design specifically for it. It's a cheap console that allows anyone to put their game on the store, that alone makes me want to buy it, simply due to the openness of the console. It's like homebrew, without having to mod.
 

Itchi_da_killa

New member
Jun 5, 2012
252
0
0
Why the hell would anyone expect this to be "so awesome" at first? It takes time to build up to that point. Ouya never led anyone on with false hopes. It's a good idea and it will take time to build up to the big vision. It's new and has not had time to fully realize itself.
 

Itchi_da_killa

New member
Jun 5, 2012
252
0
0
JasonBurnout16 said:
The one thing not mentioned in this review, or any other review that I've read is the average price of a full game on Ouya.

That's something I'd quite like to know.
You bring up a good point. So I checked it out a bit. It seems the pricing will be much like google play,$5 and up. Here is a link. http://30plusgamer.com/ouya-the-game-price-debate/
 

WarpZone

New member
Mar 9, 2008
423
0
0
Nasrin said:
OUYA Review - More Whimper Than Bang

An unfulfilled promise of revolution.

Read Full Article
I really don't get understand the criticism you're levelling at the OUYA in this article. (Except for your treatment of the games menu. That part made sense to me and I hope they fix it.) But "too hot to pick up your set-top console while it is running?" "You have to use a wire?" "Android games require an account with payment details?" These aren't a problem with any of the other consoles in my house, why would they be a problem with the OUYA? I don't see you complaining because you can't dribble your Xbox 360 like a basketball while playing it, or because your iphone account has access to your credit card details.

Oh, and boo hoo! In order to make games for the indie platform, you have to ACTUALLY MAKE A VIDEO GAME! That one blew me away... actually, no, you know what? I take that back. EVENTUALLY, it is almost INEVITABLE that someone WILL design a game for the OUYA that more or less works like LittleBigPlanet. So I honestly can't rip into you too hard about wanting it. That's the beauty of an open platform, see? There's no gatekeeper saying what someone can and can't make for the system. There's no minimal dollar amount you need to spend in order to get in. That's why there's already 200 games at launch, with new ones coming out all the time. You think we're gonna have a library of 200 games when the Xbone comes out? No way. You'll be lucky to get 20 games, with a big 6-month lull after the launch because the entire freaking industry blew its load during a single quarter to cash in on holiday sales.

I'm just honestly not sure what you're basing your expectations for the OUYA on. It's as if you simultaneously know too much about consoles that aren't out yet and too little about how video games actually get made for your imagination to make any sense of it.

And then your conclusion was "this games console is only good for people who want to play games." Like that's a bad thing. Really? Wow. Heaven forbid my video game console only be good for playing video games!

Honestly, that just hurts. :(
 

Crazie_Guy

New member
Mar 8, 2009
305
0
0
I like the idea of a super cheap, super portable console. Not to mention the idea of a new, lower power but indie-driven console tier below the 'big 3'. But I think in this upcoming console skirmish I'm leaning more towards the Gamestick.
 

Lyvric

New member
Nov 29, 2011
152
0
0
Needing a credit card on an open device that does kind of a retro themes so far does feel gimmicky/limiting, but maybe that's 'cause I don't have a CC :p