OUYA Review - More Whimper Than Bang

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Chairman Miaow said:
Yeah, If you are just buying it for emulation, just get a decent phone or tablet. Then you can do it on the go instead.
A $400+ phone/tablet that doesn't have HDMI or a controller or a cheap, portable console with full HDMI support, a USB port for easy swapping of games/emulators and a controller?

Gee I wonder which one sounds like a good choice for a emulation machine?

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Quellist said:
Whats this about limited game selection? i assumed as an Android system you could download anything from Google play store?

Does this mean SNES/PS1/Megadrive Emulators cant be downloaded?
It doesn't use the Google Play store. Ouya has its own game store that publishers and game-makers have to submit to separately.

You can also "side-load" games by downloading them on your computer and then transferring them to the Ouya using a USB stick, but they still need to be in some way compatible.

There are emulators available in the Ouya game store, but you need to side-load the roms.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
This review is flawed, what made you think it came with a "Little Big Planet style game designer"? But the console is flawed as well, it's basically a techie toy, a nice techie toy, but not really a serious console. I really don't understand why so many backers on Kickstarter thought it would be a serious challenge to the big 3 consoles.

As far as i can see, the main reason to buy it is to wipe the OS and use it as a media centre. It's not too much more expensive than one of those Android USB stick devices, you don't have to pay a daft price for a decent WiFi or Bluetooth remote, and it works with TV's that don't have a USB slot. Although something like a Boxee box isn't all that more expensive and a lot more convenient anyway.

Like the previous project from the designer, the OLPC, It's a nice idea with good intentions that might even accidentally cause some technical innovation, but it's ultimately reduntant and the totally wrong answer to the problem, anyway.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
MetalMagpie said:
Quellist said:
Whats this about limited game selection? i assumed as an Android system you could download anything from Google play store?

Does this mean SNES/PS1/Megadrive Emulators cant be downloaded?
It doesn't use the Google Play store. Ouya has its own game store that publishers and game-makers have to submit to separately.

You can also "side-load" games by downloading them on your computer and then transferring them to the Ouya using a USB stick, but they still need to be in some way compatible.

There are emulators available in the Ouya game store, but you need to side-load the roms.
Thanks for the Info man, much more helpful than the review :)

I see MD.emu, FPse and Snes9X all in the store so my main reason for wanting one is still valid

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
That's a shame.
I disagree, mostly because of the rest of what you say. It was never going to be a good product barring magic. The only shame is that people were swept up by grandiose and unrealistic premises. But that's gaming as a rule, and Kickstarter almost by definition.
Well I agree with you, but that's not me. All the Ouya is, is an android mini pc with a terga 4 processor, a dedicated controller, and a custom tv interface. That's really it. I just hoped it would create incentive to make a more console like gaming experience for android. Besides, if people are willing to homebrew for hacked consoles, there's no reason to believe people won't make games for an open platform like android. I was disappointed about the pay wall and shitty controller among other things, but those can be rectified by buying your own controller and using different software

Although bringing my Droid library to my big screen would be cool.

Actually, it is cool, but I can HDMI out in the first place. And I can attach bluetooth devices, so I can play wirelessly. AND, it's truly portable, because I don't need a big screen. Now, my setup was more expensive, but it seems most of the people this would benefit HAVE a tablet or smart phone. I know it's not exclusively so.
For me, I plan on getting a good phone (which is why I'm not specifically interested in the Ouya right now) but in order to use it more like an Ouya I'd need some kind of dock with usb ports and an hdmi out but the only such device I can find is like $40 and its only for the Galaxy S4 which my carrier doesn't have. It would almost be a little more convenient for me to spend a little more and buy an Ouya, but I'm also a little obsessed with smart phones so I won't do that

Anyway, I'm rambling. Blame the late hour. I think my brain dribbled out my ear and into bed an hour ago.
I guess I'm rambling too now, I just woke up and haven't had coffee

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
Xennon said:
- Not tried the wireless range, but I wired it straight away. Everyone I know who is serious about gaming has their machines wired. I don't know anyone who stored their Ethernet cables years ago :-/
You bring up some good points, but I wanted to point out one thing. I thought the whole point of the OUYA was that it was (mostly) for people who weren't serious about gaming (the low price tag, casual games, etc), so this strikes me as a weak defense.

Also, I consider myself pretty serious about gaming, but my apartment layout doesn't really allow for wiring my consoles (2 bedroom apartment, 2 stories, modem is upstairs, tv is downstairs), at least not without a wiring situation that would be hazardous at best. Some people just can't conveniently wire their systems. So this could be an issue (if true; I don't have an OUYA to test it).

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
I didnt't think this would do that well. A console running a mobile OS to play mobile games in the living room with a controller, a device which the games were not built assuming that the gamer would use? Wouldn't it just be better to whip out one's Android tablet or phone and play on that? Honestly, the only ones I see this device appealing to are die-hard, zealous open source advocates and tinkerer geeks who like doing things like writing their own drivers for devices in Linux, as well as those who seek to put Linux on everything with a processor of any sort. The need to enter a credit card number as the first thing to access software for the device feels like a hardware-based phishing scam.

ADDENDUM: I suppose the biggest use for it, though, is to load emulators to play games from older consoles. Even so, the upfront credit card info request, to me, is very off-putting.

Randeth

Apr 2, 2013
I do like my Ouya (especially the controller), but it is definitely a niche product in a niche market. So far it's been best used as an Emulator. I do hope it spurs some good indie game development and finds some solid Headline inducing titles to keep it afloat.

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
This is apparently a touchy subject to some people.

OT: I welcome any console that can bring competition to the big 3 but it wouldn't appear that the Ouya is that console. Maybe I'll be proved wrong in the future but right now I am uninterested in buying one

Xennon

Apr 24, 2004
TheCommanders said:
Xennon said:
- Not tried the wireless range, but I wired it straight away. Everyone I know who is serious about gaming has their machines wired. I don't know anyone who stored their Ethernet cables years ago :-/
You bring up some good points, but I wanted to point out one thing. I thought the whole point of the OUYA was that it was (mostly) for people who weren't serious about gaming (the low price tag, casual games, etc), so this strikes me as a weak defense.

Also, I consider myself pretty serious about gaming, but my apartment layout doesn't really allow for wiring my consoles (2 bedroom apartment, 2 stories, modem is upstairs, tv is downstairs), at least not without a wiring situation that would be hazardous at best. Some people just can't conveniently wire their systems. So this could be an issue (if true; I don't have an OUYA to test it).
It wasn't really a defence, it was more pointing out that Ethernet isn't some dead technology like the article claimed it was. If the wireless really is bad, then that is something that should be fixed and isn't acceptable.

As for your wiring situation, Poweline Adaptors. Seriously. They're magic. I got 2 gigabit ones for about £40 and they've been running perfectly for 2 years after I had a year of constant trouble with my wireless (and paying lots more for replacement kit as things broke or wouldn't work).

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
Xennon said:
It wasn't really a defence, it was more pointing out that Ethernet isn't some dead technology like the article claimed it was. If the wireless really is bad, then that is something that should be fixed and isn't acceptable.

As for your wiring situation, Poweline Adaptors. Seriously. They're magic. I got 2 gigabit ones for about £40 and they've been running perfectly for 2 years after I had a year of constant trouble with my wireless (and paying lots more for replacement kit as things broke or wouldn't work).
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm moving in a few weeks though, so maybe I'll just get lucky and have a better set up. I'm not living with a roommate anymore, so the apartment is smaller... which is probably a good sign?

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
geizr said:
A console running a mobile OS to play mobile games in the living room with a controller, a device which the games were not built assuming that the gamer would use? Wouldn't it just be better to whip out one's Android tablet or phone and play on that?
Not to sound rude (despite how this may come off, I really don't) but I wish people would spend the sixty seconds research required to see this isn't the case. The Ouya has its own store, featuring games either developed for or ported specifically for use with the controller. While not all of the ports are good, they are at least functional, and some are a million times better than the mobile version, as half the screen is no longer taken up by those horrendous 'virtual controls'.

Ariolander

Sep 15, 2009
I bought mine for Emulation and XBMC and it hasn't disappointed.

The gaming aspect is pretty 'meh', I am pretty miffed how opaque the Discovery Store is and how I can never seem to find out a game's pricing and monetization info unless they are bragging how they are NOT exploitative in the description.

The only time you ever see the price of a game, is when you are 1 mis-click away from purchasing it. The fact that CC info is REQUIRED before even starting the device up makes the entire 'free' pricing scheme seem predatory.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Ed130 said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Yeah, If you are just buying it for emulation, just get a decent phone or tablet. Then you can do it on the go instead.
A $400+ phone/tablet that doesn't have HDMI or a controller or a cheap, portable console with full HDMI support, a USB port for easy swapping of games/emulators and a controller?

Well, I got my Tablet free with my £18 a month phone contract that I was going to get anyway and it can emulate anything ps1 and earlier. There are plenty you can get for a lot less than $400 and you will use them for a lot more than just emulation. Your analogy is invalid.

Murmur95

Sep 18, 2008
Totally awful review.

OUYA is meant to break the mould of what a console game system is, they are trying to make the console about games and not about graphics power. It will take time to move in that direction and they won't get it right until later but this is a great first step.

I think 200 launch games is not bad at all, how many wii-u games did they have at launch? "Nintendo has confirmed 23 games that will launch with Wii U." yes...23 and you are complaining about 200?

My one big problem with OUYA is that they have not released the source for it so we can't mod it well.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Chairman Miaow said:
Ed130 said:
Chairman Miaow said:

Well, I got my Tablet free with my £18 a month phone contract that I was going to get anyway and it can emulate anything ps1 and earlier. There are plenty you can get for a lot less than $400 and you will use them for a lot more than just emulation. Your analogy is invalid.
Just because you can get a tablet for cheap doesn't invalidate all my other arguments.

Have fun with your 8 inch screen and crappy touch-screen controls, I'll just sit back, relax and emulate on my wide-screen TV.

Hell I could even use one of the HDMI enabled lecture theaters if I really wanted to go all out.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Ed130 said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Ed130 said:
Chairman Miaow said:

Just because you can get a tablet for cheap doesn't invalidate all my other arguments.

Have fun with your 8 inch screen and crappy touch-screen controls, I'll just sit back, relax and emulate on my wide-screen TV.

Hell I could even use one of the HDMI enabled lecture theaters if I really wanted to go all out.
Errrm..... I can still connect my Tablet to a TV and plug in a control. Plenty of people can get cheap tablets as well.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
This seems odd. The only real criticism apart from a slightly uncomfortable controller seems to be the lack of actual good games. It's Android, what did anyone expect? The only game I ever play on my Android phone is GTA Vice City and if I want to play that on a big screen I just grab my PS2...