Over 50,000 People Have Been Banned from PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds for Cheating

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Over 50,000 People Have Been Banned from PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds for Cheating

As PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds climbs up the Steam charts, it's also banning wide swaths of cheaters.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds has been in the news a lot of late - just this week, it took over the third spot on the "most concurrent players" list on Steam [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170854-PlayerUnknowns-Battlegrounds-More-Concurrent-Players-than-Any-Non-Valve-Game]. With over 480,000 concurrent players, it's even more amazing to learn that the game has banned over 50,000 players for cheating so far.

The news comes via a Twitter post from game creator Brendan Greene:

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/PLAYERUNKNOWN/status/892979214256791552]

The game uses the BattlEye anti-cheat system. Much like the long-running PunkBuster, it bans people based on kernal-level scans and other tests. It's been used in games from Battlefield 2 to Arma to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl.

Meanwhile, the game has faced some complaints from players for recent PUBG sold four million copies in its first three months [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170831-PlayerUnknowns-Battlegrounds-Selling-Limited-Time-Cosmetic-Crates-Keys-Tournament-Prizes], and shows few signs of slowing down.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Just for the record, there are also a lot of reports of false positives on the anti-cheat system; and no way of contacting Bluehole for clarification or dispute.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I'm not sure why they're acting like it's something to be proud of. All it tells me is that the game is potentially a hotbed for cheaters. Also...

hermes said:
Just for the record, there are also a lot of reports of false positives on the anti-cheat system; and no way of contacting Bluehole for clarification or dispute.
...This. In fact, Player Unknown has come under fire recently for overstepping their bounds in this regard.

Their justification for the ban is especially flimsy:

"We see no other reason why they would consistently attempt to be in the same lobby as someone who is broadcasting live other to have an advantage in the game."

...Maybe they're a fan who just wants to say "hi?"

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Factoid actualy just statistical error. Cheaters Georg, who lives in cave & gets banned over 1000 times each day, is an outlier adn should not have been counted.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
I'm not sure why they're acting like it's something to be proud of. All it tells me is that the game is potentially a hotbed for cheaters. Also...

hermes said:
...This. In fact, Player Unknown has come under fire recently for overstepping their bounds in this regard.

Their justification for the ban is especially flimsy:

"We see no other reason why they would consistently attempt to be in the same lobby as someone who is broadcasting live other to have an advantage in the game."

...Maybe they're a fan who just wants to say "hi?"
If you're openly broadcasting your location like that you kinda have it coming when someone watches you and snipes you so I see no reason for the ban, no cheating was done.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
If they're banning people for screen-watching, then I will have to reconsider my intentions of getting this game, because that's absolutely Rick-diculous.

I'll see. I like to get a good feel on games, especially games like this, before I potentially waste my money. I already burned myself on The Stomping Lands and the DayZ SA, so consider me bitter and wiser. At least, with these sorts of things lol

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
Janaschi said:
If they're banning people for screen-watching, then I will have to reconsider my intentions of getting this game, because that's absolutely Rick-diculous.

I'll see. I like to get a good feel on games, especially games like this, before I potentially waste my money. I already burned myself on The Stomping Lands and the DayZ SA, so consider me bitter and wiser. At least, with these sorts of things lol
I mean, two early access survival games aren't quite a comparison to a more streamlined, PVP-only competitive game. Much more likely to see the light of release than any janky survival mess that usually ends up forgotten by players and devs alike before completion.

EDIT: This coming from someone who has bought more than a dozen janky early access survival messes.