Over seventy dead in vehicular attack in Nice, France

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
[link]http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36800730[/link]

CNN reports 73 dead, BBC says "at least 75", suggesting reports still coming in.

...Could someone give me a nudge when the world wants to be civilized again? I think I want to hole up in a corner with a blanket.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Callate said:
...Could someone give me a nudge when the world wants to be civilized again? I think I want to hole up in a corner with a blanket.
You'd probably be better off investing in cryogentic freezing...because there doesn't appear to be an end to this kind of crap in the foreseeable future.

We've still got the "Day of Rage" that's apparently been planned for tomorrow.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Not really a bombing; the truck drove through a crowd of people, apparently for 2km/just over a mile. It apparently was loaded up with guns and grenades, though.

All in all, a horrifying event. This year has been really truly awful so far.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Wasn't really a bombing, just a man driving through a crowded place.

Callate said:
...Could someone give me a nudge when the world wants to be civilized again?
Also if you want to say "again" then I suggest you pick a up a history book because the modern age by far the most civilized of literally any ever.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
It sucks. Went to Nice when I was a teenager, it was a great city, and my condolences to the families affected by this terrorist attack.

Necrozius

Jun 21, 2016
Well, one more of these and the terrorists* will have won: I will be very reluctant to go to any large crowd gatherings in public places anymore.

* assuming that this attack was in the name of ISIS or whatever asshole hate regime.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
This is a terrible event, even more-so because it's France yet again (someone give that country a break).

Unfortunately it also highlights something that I've been saying for a while, and it's that in the right circumstances cars can be just as dangerous a weapon as a bomb or firearm, and ANYONE can get access to one.

The only positive thing I can say is that at least it could have been worse. The guy didn't get a chance to use any of the grenades that were in the truck.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
*Sigh* I really hate how numb I'm getting to this. It's just "Oh another day, more people dead."

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Obviously, this is a completely horrible event, and I hope that the people affected make it through ok.

At the same time, I can't help but sit here and be befuddled at what this guy's master plan was. He(and apparent accomplices) stockpiled guns and grenades in this truck, and then this grand stockpile plan culminated in them just running over a crapton of people with the truck the weapons were in.

Like, did they forget?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Another tragic event at the hands of fools who value hate, fear and division among everyone. No, we shouldn't let any of that win and stop us from living our lives. Hate, fear and separation should NEVER win.

Added bit, I support debates that are healthy and reasonable and not let it get rotten by heated and flaming petty attitudes.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Areloch said:
Obviously, this is a completely horrible event, and I hope that the people affected make it through ok.

At the same time, I can't help but sit here and be befuddled at what this guy's master plan was. He(and apparent accomplices) stockpiled guns and grenades in this truck, and then this grand stockpile plan culminated in them just running over a crapton of people with the truck the weapons were in.

Like, did they forget?
The plan was probably to drive into the crowd, get out, and start shooting/throwing grenades, and then the driver noticed how well just running over people was working and decided it was easier to just keep doing what he was doing.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Areloch said:

Like, did they forget?
The way I see it, they probably intended to drive through the crowd until the truck was inoperable, thinking that would happen before any cops arrived. After the vehicle stopped, then they'd jump into the back and go full rambo.

At least, that's what I'd have done with the vehicle/supplies they had (were I a murderous fanatic). I'm guessing things somehow didn't go as planned.

Edit: The post above me also shows a good possibility.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Dirty Hipsters said:
Areloch said:

Like, did they forget?
The plan was probably to drive into the crowd, get out, and start shooting/throwing grenades, and then the driver noticed how well just running over people was working and decided it was easier to just keep doing what he was doing.
Yeah, probably. I mean, it was a semi truck, so 'getting out and getting your weapons from the back' is impressively poorly thought out. He probably came to the same conclusion that it was kinda stupid, and just went with what was clearly working better.

Madmatty

Apr 5, 2016
Parasondox said:
Another tragic event at the hands of fools who value hate, fear and division among everyone. No, we shouldn't let any of that win and stop us from living our lives. Hate, fear and separation should NEVER win.

Added bit, I support debates that are healthy and reasonable and not let it get rotten by heated and flaming petty attitudes.
The best solution would be to close the borders and deport anyone openly supporting sharia law. Otherwise there's gonna be civil war and eventually WW3. This world is getting gradually worse as time goes by