Overated Movies

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
Search bar approved guys!

What movies have you seen that you thought were really overated. I've seen a few although the most recent example would have to be Hurt Locker. It's been called one of the best war movies ever but when you compare it to other war movies like Saving Private Ryan its just plain boring. Compare it to THE war movie, Apocalypse Now and it's a stupid, drivelling, unrealistic excuse for a film.

What movies do you consider to be overated?

Kei Kaemon

Fantastic Japanese Cat!
Nov 30, 2009
Julianking93 said:

Or really anything by James Cameron.
I agree on this 100%.... or 500%.

Seriously, his movies are just rehash or just not very good.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.

I've said it once and I'll say it again; Frank Darabont sucks.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Inglorious Bastards.

i just didn't enjoy watching it.
just the first scene (with the Gestapo agent) was great.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Kei Kaemon said:
Julianking93 said:

Or really anything by James Cameron.
I agree on this 100%.... or 500%.

Seriously, his movies are just rehash or just not very good.
Aliens? True Lies? Terminator? Terminator 2? The Abyss?

-m

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
Casual Shinji said:

The Green Mile was going good for me until the whole supernatural thing came in. It was a fucking stupid idea.

rosemystica

Jan 24, 2010
I know I'll get a lot of shit for this, but: Almost anything Quentin Tarantino puts out.

*puts on helmet, hides in bunker*

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Donny Darko.
What a terrible film.
It's not deep, it's not amazing, stop telling me to watch it again.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
rosemystica said:
I know I'll get a lot of shit for this, but: Almost anything Quentin Tarantino puts out.

I'm with you, I think most of his films are bullshit pop culture references. Making a reference to something else doesn't make you clever or artistic, it just means you've seen something else.

Apparently Pulp Fiction is good because of how the story was shown out of order, whatever, its basis is rubbish.

||XIII

Jun 1, 2010
Saving Private Ryan, really.. The camera work is good and all, but it doesn't get close to portraying war realistically. There's not really any character development outside of Upham, and the plot is rather trivial. It doesn't hold up to movies such as Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse NOW or Platoon.

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
ColdStorage said:
rosemystica said:

I'm with you, I think most of his films are bullshit pop culture references. Making a reference to something else doesn't make you clever or artistic, it just means you've seen something else.

Apparently Pulp Fiction is good because of how the story was shown out of order, whatever, its basis is rubbish.
I really liked Pulp Fiction although Kill Bill can go suck a fuck. I watched the cray 88 scene and It reminded me of Tom and Jerry.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
run_forrest_run said:
Casual Shinji said:

The Green Mile was going good for me until the whole supernatural thing came in. It was a fucking stupid idea.
For me it was the one dimensional cartoon characters and situations that Darabont aswell as Stephen King tried to pass off as deep and engaging. Wich is also why The Mist sucked so bad, but that movie isn't really held in any high regard.

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
run_forrest_run said:
Casual Shinji said:

For me it was the one dimensional cartoon characters and situations that Darabont aswell as Stephen King tried to pass off as deep and engaging. Wich is also why The Mist sucked so bad, but that movie isn't really held in any high regard.
I watched what might have been the remake. Regardless I almost pissed myself laughing at the end. The poor bastard. I hate to use the word but FAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLL.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
run_forrest_run said:
ColdStorage said:
rosemystica said:

I really liked Pulp Fiction although Kill Bill can go suck a fuck. I watched the cray 88 scene and It reminded me of Tom and Jerry.
Fans of Pulp Fiction hurt my soul. I've watched it twice, because I had to watch it again because I was told "its really good man".

You know whats in the briefcase? its fictional pulp, serious.

Its not a soul, its not a heart, its not gold, its a fictional pulp, something you cannot explain. Hence pulp fiction.

Any Pulp Fiction fans want to tell me "Quentin called it pulp fiction because of a magazine", go away, it just proves my earlier point of his skills of using pop culture references to look clever, in other words, he's seen something else and copied it therefore not original or talented in the slightest.