Overated Movies

LiftYourSkinnyFists

Aug 15, 2009
run_forrest_run said:
Casual Shinji said:
The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.

I've said it once and I'll say it again; Frank Darabont sucks.
The Green Mile was going good for me until the whole supernatural thing came in. It was a fucking stupid idea.
It's based off a Steven king novel, what the hell did you expect?

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Iron Man. The only reason it was thought so damn amazing was the utter lack of action movies recently.

The action composed of camera shots on the suit, and explosion, suit again. The whole damn thing was some designer saying, "hey, I spent some time on this, look! Oh fine, here's an explosion... Now look again!"

It was really just a slightly better Transformers.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
The Hurt Locker. Man...that was really overrated. I watched it and I thought it was pretty good, but then seeing the acclaim it got...I was astounded. It wasn't anywhere near as good as people made it out to be. That whole sniper scene...completely ruined the movie for me.

Serge A. Storms

Oct 7, 2009
While I don't agree with many assessments made on some of the movies listed, particularly the irritations people have had over apparently not getting absorbed enough in a story to get the nature of specific character's development (my guess for the targeted hate on Tarantino and Pixar movies), I will say that I can't stand Donnie Darko for almost the same reason I just pointed out. I think some people can crawl inside that movie and be right at home but I've never been able to get absorbed enough in it to care about the characters, and it's not the sort of movie you love for the plot.

Johanthemonster666

May 25, 2010
Avatar (anything by James Cameron besides "Aliens") as mentioned 50 times before on this forum question.

I felt I was the only person on earth who thought it was "ok" but not out of the ordinary.

Special effects don't amaze me; a good plot and charactes do (paired with good cinematography, which is far different than rendering everything in shiney, over-the-top CGI creatures, people and background just as a shallow cover for a bad/mediocre storyline and poor/average overall message/theme).

I also felt that Apocolypse Now and E.T were MAJORLY overrated.
To a certain extent, Forest Gump was a little overrated, but a god film overall.

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
LiftYourSkinnyFistsLikeAntennaeToHeaven said:
run_forrest_run said:
Casual Shinji said:
The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.

I've said it once and I'll say it again; Frank Darabont sucks.
The Green Mile was going good for me until the whole supernatural thing came in. It was a fucking stupid idea.
It's based off a Steven king novel, what the hell did you expect?
Wow, this thread is still going. I am fully aware that that's his thing and I still don't like it in word form. After crafting a serious, moving story, giving the guy healing powers or whatever else he's done just doesn't sit well with me. My dad liked it and reminded me that this was based of a Stephen King novel but I still didn't care. Not a bad movie just not as good as everyone else thinks it is.

sanjuro71

Jun 16, 2010
Miumaru said:
Any movie people go "You never saw ____!?"
Mostly just because that is annoying. Godfather, ET and Aliens are the main ones.
I confess i was one of those people who used to say "you never saw________!?" to my friends all the time. I never relised what a jerk i was being until i read an Onion article making fun of people who do that. I've learned my lesson and have never used that phrase since:).

Also I agree about E.T. Just never saw in that film what everyone else did I guess

Altio

Oct 18, 2008
The Hurt Locker and Brothers. Both of them were just bland.
EDIT: And Robin Hood. I heard good things bout it, and I was expecting action becuase I was thinking, "Oh hey, a serious, violent, actiony Robin Hood. I hope it's good." There was like 30 minutes of action throughout the movie. The rest was a drama.

Elle-Jai

Mar 26, 2010
Kei Kaemon said:
Julianking93 said:

Or really anything by James Cameron.
I agree on this 100%.... or 500%.

Seriously, his movies are just rehash or just not very good.
Agreed. And I think Pocohontas did the 'Avatar' storyline better. It had Vanessa Williams singing, for Heaven's sakes!! :D

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
The Godfather. Its not a bad movie but the best movie ever made? Hardly. That prestigious title belongs to Shaun of the Dead. But seriously Godfather is overrated. I found it kind of boring at its worst and adequate at best.