Overated Movies

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
"Perfume, the Story of a Murderer." That is the LONGEST pretentious art-style movie I have ever seen. It takes FOREVER to build up the plot, and it's 2.5 hours long. The Star Wars movies were that long, but the material in "Perfume" was spread out waaaaay too long and had me guessing when the hell that movie would end.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
maninahat said:
I'm going with 2001: A Space Odyssey. An absurdly drawn out and pretentious work in which scenes mercilessly drag on and on and on, way after making their point.
So totally this. It certainly had good effects for its time, but GOD is it boring. It starts off with a bunch of guys in monkey suits doing nothing, switches to the future where people are doing nothing, then they talk, proceed to do nothing, torture us with heavy breathing noises for five minutes while nothing happens, then takes acid for final ten minutes. Most of the movie is excruciatingly boring.

And I HAVE to mention Avatar. Yes, it has mind-blowing effects and amazing 3D, that doesn't excuse the boring characters and cliche' plot. I also have a personal beef with this movie, why the hell did they have to name it Avatar? It irks me that now when you say 'Avatar' people think of this movie instead of something that actually does kick ass:

Seriously, couldn't they have called the movie "Pandora" instead?

capin Rob

Apr 2, 2010
FargoDog said:
I have more than a few. Aliens, Avatar, Eraserhead, Pulp Fiction, The Mist, Hurt Locker, Inglorious Basterds, Goodfellas, A Clockwork Orange, The Human Centipede (more hype than anything), Salo, Gone with the Wind and there's a few more that I can't think off.

EDIT: Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz too.

Saun of the dead and Hot fuzz. Dude... They were like, straight to comedy central flicks. Overrated?