Overated Movies

sivlin

Feb 8, 2010
Baby Tea said:
Donny Darko.
What a terrible film.
It's not deep, it's not amazing, stop telling me to watch it again.
You should watch it again!
:). But seriously, you should.

May 18, 2010
ColdStorage said:
Jacob.pederson said:
ColdStorage said:
rosemystica said:
I know I'll get a lot of shit for this, but: Almost anything Quentin Tarantino puts out.

*puts on helmet, hides in bunker*
I'm with you, I think most of his films are bullshit pop culture references. Making a reference to something else doesn't make you clever or artistic, it just means you've seen something else.

Apparently Pulp Fiction is good because of how the story was shown out of order, whatever, its basis is rubbish.
Quentin is a genius for a lot of the same reasons as Kubrick. He knows all the film story conventions, and breaks em all wherever possible. Not so much in Pulp Fiction, but take a look at Death Proof or Inglorious Bastards. These are movies that just say, no, I'm not doing it the Hollywood way; however, they manage to do this while throwing mad respect at some of the pulpiest genre's around. It's just wild when you thing about it. This heading in two apposing directions is precisely what makes his films hard to stomach. It's also their appeal.
Because he doesn't conform to marketing doesn't make him a genius, its makes him a controversial person that doesn't like marketing.

His pop culture references really bug me though.
either obvious troll is obvious or i have lost hope in humanity :/

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Nautical Honors Society said:
Haha yea I gotcha there, but now that you re-phrased I agree with you.
I actually watched the first Spy Kids with some younger kids once. I though it was ok for a kid's movie and I laughed when I saw Danny Trejo.

CloakedOne

Oct 1, 2009
Star Trek. It had fairly good action scenes, but the overall movie just wasn't anything special. The plot felt like a 16 year old Trek fanboy somehow got his work turned into a live action blockbuster (I parallel Twilight's feel of being written by an unpopular fat prepubescent girl and, somehow, it's a success). A lot of the scenes were pointless and a lot of the action was unduly over the top.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
It's kinda like one of those things that are extremely, extremely pointless. I don't think I want to say a movie was "overrated" but more like "what is the big fucking deal" kinda thing would be more appropriate.

So basically, I don't see what the big fucking deal is with Hurt Locker, Indiana Jones Trilogy (the fourth one never happened), Slumdog Millionaire, and Avatar---there are others, but I just can't thing of them now.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Oh just remembered, Ghosbusters 1 & 2, in fact, 2 was completely shit but the 1st falls in the wtbfd category.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Raising Arizona, 2001, Kagemusha, Juno, and the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I was so bored in the first, the second was terrible in every way but music and visuals, Kurosawa wasn't working much of his magic at all making it rather lousy, just isn't for me, and as catchy as the songs are it's not much else.

Thee Prisoner

Apr 28, 2010
I can't believe this hasn't come up yet.

Scarface: the re-make, starring Al Pacino. Not a very good movie.

I would also add: Gladiator, Se7en, Back to the Future and pretty much anything based on Stephen King's writings: The Shining, Shawshank and etc. Now all these aren't bad movies, just over hyped.

edit: I forgot to add: Braveheart.

Happy viewing, the Prisoner.

_Cake_

Apr 5, 2009
The Hangover - I thought I was going to like it but I was so boring I was almost trying to force myself to laugh it was so bad (but I couldn't) . The last time I did that was Disaster Movie but at least I knew that was going to be crap. It just wasn't funny to me and I wanted to be.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Mad Max.

I really just didn't enjoy any part of it.

EDIT: Also, the Back to the Future movies, didn't find them funny or entertaining at any point.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Anything that is basically on-screen masturbation.

Examples:
Inglorious bastards
Citizen Kane
Almost anything with an actor/writer/director/etc protagonist

These types of movies are pretty much entirely written not for the audience but so film critics and devotees can wank off about all the "subtle" references.

bubba145

Jan 4, 2010
Avatar needs a real "MILITARY" sequel really does he think the us would take that lying down huh no its coming back with guns ablaing and nukes.

captainaweshum

May 1, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.

I've said it once and I'll say it again; Frank Darabont sucks.
:eek:

I'll respect your right to an opinion only if you'll respect the fact that it's wrong

:D

Always_Remain

Nov 23, 2009
Everything that isn't indie is overrated because I'm an edgy hipster. In fact, I'm so edgy that I'm not a hipster. I transcend it.

Seriously though, I can tell you what films I don't like but that doesn't mean they are overrated.