Overated Movies

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Avatar. It looks nice, but its plot is bad, the acting is mediocre, and the characters don't feel relatable.

I'm not the first to think the human's should've won. I was rooting for them throughout the movie.

Furyaki12

Jul 20, 2009
I can't in good conscience repeat Twilight Saga or Avatar because I've never seen them - not because of some personal boycott, but because I really couldn't be bothered.

A movie I did see that I can somewhat call overrated was Paranormal Activity. I know it caters to a specific audience, but some friends of mine that fall into that audience were more or less denying me sleep and food until I saw it...

brainiac2

Jun 15, 2008
Personally, I think Avatar is a decent movie, It's just WAY over hyped and thus people hate it for being more popular than it should be. Titanic really does suck, though.

I don't like Twilight, but that's because it's not directed at my audience, and really, among the horrible genre that is teenage-girl romances, it's got to be one of the better ones.

I don't like Juno, and I genuinely hate Napoleon Dynamite. THERE is a movie I can see no appeal for.

Also, I'm going to say the Coen Brothers. *ducks* Too be fair, I've only seen Blood Simple and Burn After Reading, but both of those were AWFUL. They probably have better work, but I just don't think I like their style.

ShadowDude112

Mar 9, 2009
Slumdog Millionaire. "Oh, this guy from the slums won a lot of money. Lets beat him up because we think that he's stupid."

SlowShootinPete

Apr 21, 2010
brainiac2 said:
Also, I'm going to say the Coen Brothers. *ducks* Too be fair, I've only seen Blood Simple and Burn After Reading, but both of those were AWFUL. They probably have better work, but I just don't think I like their style.
If you want to harp on one of their films, pick A Serious Man. From everything I've heard about it, it sounds like such a pointlessly depressing movie.

Apr 29, 2010
War Penguin said:
Napoleon Dynamite. All of my friends laughed their asses off when they watched it. I, on the other hand, did not. I did not like the character. He was annoying, obnoxious, and really creepy.
Same here. When I watched it, I got bored so fast. My friends and I could have seen another movie instead, a better one at that. But, they wanted to see Napoleon Dynamite. I just couldn't find anything funny about it.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
The Village
The Dark Knight - Tried to watch it, couldn't stay awake.
Superbad - That movie was just retarded.
Some other movie that I can't remember the name of. The used a gun to kill a cop, then this guy took the gun to hide it in his basement and his son took it, then it was just a long string of events about him trying to find the gun. Everyone talked about how great it was and I thought it was boring as hell.

Wordslinger

Apr 3, 2010
run_forrest_run said:
Casual Shinji said:
The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.

I've said it once and I'll say it again; Frank Darabont sucks.
The Green Mile was going good for me until the whole supernatural thing came in. It was a fucking stupid idea.
Stephan King wrote it. Supernatural shit is kind of what he writes about.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Harmondale2 said:
Nooooooo! They say people don't believe in heroes anymore. Well damn them! You and me, Max, we're gonna give them back their heroes!

I haven't seen Avatar so I can't judge.

Hessmn212

Apr 16, 2010
Avatar was probably the most overrated movie I've ever seen in my life. Although, it did look good and the scene when Jake and the girl (forget her name) are swimming was one of the best scenes in the movie.
Transformers 2 was pretty fucking overrated by some people.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
THE HANGOVER. I laughed once the entire time.

Fight Club
The Dark Knight
Donnie Darko
The Matrix films
Any Denzel Washington Flick
Scarface

titaniumChampion

Nov 27, 2009
The Dark Knight.

My problem with this film is that it doesn't focus on Batman at all. It focuses more on the Joker. I don't mind the different take on the Joker, and my personal favorite Joker is Mark Hamill, but Ledger's role fit the franchise well.

I think the plot was not as interesting or solid as the first one. It seemed to drag on too long. Nolan shouldn't have been forced to bring Two-face into the fray. Perhaps I'm used to the formulaic plot of the hero showcased in the beginning. Conflict arising, and the hero fails initially. Add in plot narrative and bolstering of the hero's potential, and an epic final battle where the hero is victorious. While boring and typical, it has a point and wouldn't last 3 hours with unnecessary plot. I know the Joker is not a physical adversary, but the ending was weak. In the theater I nearly fell asleep with the boat detonator subplot.

Even though its not perfect, the Spider-man trilogy has the best examples of coherent superhero movie plots (3 definitely has its moments of pointlessness though).

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Napoleon Dynamite, Napoleon Dynamite, NAPOLEON F***ING DYNAMITE! A movie should NOT have to get good halfway through! "Gosh" is not and never will be funny no matter HOW it's said! The stories he tells aren't funny! The "random" actions aren't funny, or all that random! And the Odd situations are not even f***ing chuckle worthy, the fact that this waste of energy, tim, and raw material was quoted for so long STILL boggles me to this day!

Oh, and Julianking93? Terminator 2. Nuff said. That movie rocked more faces than the first 2 Godfather movies combined!

bismarck55

Mar 1, 2010
kyosai7 said:
Hmmm movies I find overrated

Watchmen: Seriously. A boring movie about guys in spandex and masks that tried to be dark and serious. Seriously, even in the awesome animated MArvel and DC flicks, you get the occasional joke. This movie just sucked. You couldn't pay me to own Watchmen.

The Dark Knight: Batman Begins was okay, but this just sucks. The Joker was boring, the action sucked, and Batman's voice was laughably bad. I cracked a smile hearing him talk. I also fell asleep from boredom...

Scarface: Yeah, this is just boring....

I hated the first Terminator. T2 was okay...

Also wanna throw in:

Monty Python: Anything by them. they just suck. I'm not a fan of British humor to begin with but seriously, how can ANYONE find this crap funny?! Seriously, I'll take the Mighty Boosh or Look Around You over ANYTHING with the horrible name of "Monty Python"

I also found Spaceballs funny, but not worth the hype.
We see you trollin'... Really though, Dark Knight, Watchmen and Monty Python among others? The Joker was boring? My expections were in the stratosphere, but I was blown away by Ledger's performance. You can't expect people to actually take you seriously after that. It's almost as if you picked all the geeky stuff that you figured people on a site like this would love... huh.

I mean I thought that the ending of Dark knight was kinda lame, but the movie was excellelent. Also, how can you comment on Monty Python if you don't like british humour in the first place?

You have to admit, it looks a little suspicious.

GammaZord

Jan 26, 2009
Fight Club--some cool ideas but it's pretty superficial (esp. the ending)

Wes Anderson movies--I prolly would be able to watch them objectively if it wasn't for his damn fans.

Side Note: I'm not big on the "well it's just a matter opinion" argument. Of course, something like the quality of a movie essentially boils down to a matter of opinion. If it wasn't so, and there were definitive, universal standards of a what good, bad or overrated movie is then nobody would argue.

Mentioning the "opinion" aspect of this really adds nothing to the discussion--it's like an argumentative cop-out.