Overrated Classic Movies

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
trunkage said:
Luke puts his friends at risk becuase he's impatient.
Um, how?

Han and Leia are captured because Vader's after Luke, but Luke can't be held responsible for that. And Luke coming to Cloud City doesn't really directly jeprodize them.

Actually, that's something that bugs me about Empire - Luke goes to the city to help his friends, but as soon as he finds Vader, he apparently forgets all about them. He doesn't even mention them as they fight. It's only when he's hanging onto the base of the structure that he seems to remember them.

I actually liked Disocvery. Except the first episode, which is probably the worst Star Trek episode ever.
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Shades_of_Gray_(episode)

Samtemdo8 said:
Time dates certain movies I think time wasn't too kind on the 1944 version?
It's not really dated per se, but it's far too "clean" for me, if that makes sense. I understand the context it was made in (1944, UK's at war, let's make a film that shows war to be a jolly adventure where the English fight against those dastardy French), but the Brannagh version just blows it out of the water (or mud, given that it shows Agincourt to be Hell on Earth).

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Definitely Jaws. What's with that shark anyway? It should've been about dentists or something idk

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Wow, I like classic movies. I haven't seen a single suggestion so far on this list I don't disagree completely with.

Overrated as far as I'm concerned...

Basically anything by Paul Verhoeven. Especially Starship Troopers and Robocop, basically paper thin easily understood themes masquerading as "deep" surrounded by gorefests so it would appeal to the type of moron who thinks ST or Robocop is "deep." Ditto for Fight Club.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Kyrian007 said:
Wow, I like classic movies. I haven't seen a single suggestion so far on this list I don't disagree completely with.

Basically anything by Paul Verhoeven. Especially Starship Troopers and Robocop, basically paper thin easily understood themes masquerading as "deep" surrounded by gorefests so it would appeal to the type of moron who thinks ST or Robocop is "deep." Ditto for Fight Club.
Then you need to see Black Book. Immediately.

Who said Vertigo? I'm right with you there buddy. The level of coincidence required for that plot to even function is simply staggering. I like Hitchcock, but Vertigo is just godawful.

I'd like to say Chinatown, but there's such overwhelming opinion that it's somehow a classic that I'm convinced it must just be me. I just don't get it. Same with Scarface (the remake with Al Pacino). Never understood what supposedly made that movie stand out in any way.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
I came that way from Watching the first Batman movie after watching the Dark Knight prior.

Text book example of how dated a movie can be.
Yeah, Dark Knight really does just fix every thing I just said I disliked about Batman.
Well except arguably the film score. Zimmer's music in the film is great, but goddamn if Elfmans theme isn't the one I think of when someone says Batman music.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
TrulyBritish said:
Samtemdo8 said:
I came that way from Watching the first Batman movie after watching the Dark Knight prior.

Yeah, Dark Knight really does just fix every thing I just said I disliked about Batman.
Well except arguably the film score. Zimmer's music in the film is great, but goddamn if Elfmans theme isn't the one I think of when someone says Batman music.
But at least Batman 1989 FELT like a Batman movie than the Nolan Trilogy because having recently watched the Dark Knight, they feel unrecognizable as a proper DC Comics movie so fuck it, screw my rule in the OP.

The Dark Knight is now the most overrated movie ever. And its all entirely on this near god-like veneration of Heath Ledger's Joker.

Its like these people has never seen Acting before and yet the praise of Ledger's Joker performance feels like it overshadows all others.

What ever happened to Malcolm MacDowall? What happened to Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, What happened to Tom Hanks?

I mean the mere fact a documentary is made about this actor's performance as the Joker speaks for itself about how overrated this is:

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Squilookle said:
Kyrian007 said:

Who said Vertigo? I'm right with you there buddy. The level of coincidence required for that plot to even function is simply staggering. I like Hitchcock, but Vertigo is just godawful.
You ever wonder why Vertigo in such a high regard that it supplanted Citizen Kane?

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Terminator 2. T-1000 makes no sense, pacifist pet robot Arnie is stupid, annoying kid is annoying, etc. Original Terminator is a much better movie and one of my favourites.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Major_Tom said:
Terminator 2. T-1000 makes no sense, pacifist pet robot Arnie is stupid, annoying kid is annoying, etc. Original Terminator is a much better movie and one of my favourites.
Agreed, Terminator 1 is a better ?story,? but Terminator 2 will always hold a special place in cinematic history as the advent of modern CGI; it?s place is well deserved. I?m a child of the ?80s; 90% of our films eschewed pesky things like ?realism? and ?logic? in lieu of being entertaining; it didn?t matter how improbable T-1000 was, he was fuckin? cool to watch and made the film worth seeing! Kids nowadays with their science and internets to explain everything, these modern outings have to conceive of elaborate expositives to explain away reasonable doubt before a 20-something will uncross his arms and lower his nose long enough to bite and enjoy himself for a couple of hours! Even then, four minutes after the credits roll, he?s on a forum somewhere shredding the film to pieces exposing plot holes and going on about how much from the book they got wrong? Sheesh?. (T-1000 was awesome!)

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Squilookle said:
Kyrian007 said:

You ever wonder why Vertigo in such a high regard that it supplanted Citizen Kane?
I must be out of the loop- who in their right mind ever put Vertigo above Citizen Kane? Or above any other Hitchcock for that matter?

On a related note, I really enjoyed The Third Man, but why does nobody notice that the composer for it was given a work brief for a whimsical comedy? The music is completely out of place- even if the rest of the movie is damn near perfect.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Squilookle said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Squilookle said:
Kyrian007 said:

I must be out of the loop- who in their right mind ever put Vertigo above Citizen Kane? Or above any other Hitchcock for that matter?
According to Wikipedia:

"Vertigo received mixed reviews upon initial release, but is now often cited as a classic Hitchcock film and one of the defining works of his career. Attracting significant scholarly criticism, it replaced Citizen Kane (1941) as the best film ever made in the 2012 British Film Institute's Sight & Sound critics' poll."

And ironically 2012 I think was the year when there was a huge Alfred Hitchcock mania going on, I remember Turner Classic Movies was promoting alot of Alfred Hitchcock related things.

I have 2 movies to list as greatest movie ever and that is either 2001: A Space Oddessey, or the Godfather Epic.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Squilookle said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Squilookle said:
Kyrian007 said:

According to Wikipedia:

"Vertigo received mixed reviews upon initial release, but is now often cited as a classic Hitchcock film and one of the defining works of his career. Attracting significant scholarly criticism, it replaced Citizen Kane (1941) as the best film ever made in the 2012 British Film Institute's Sight & Sound critics' poll."

And ironically 2012 I think was the year when there was a huge Alfred Hitchcock mania going on.
That's not ironic- it's probably a direct catalyst. And since Hitchcock was British, it's possible that a British institute would take advantage of such a mania to influence a bias towards one of their own. Not saying that happened, only that it's possible.

Ever wonder what would have happened if Judy didn't fall in love with Scotty after he stalked her and kept insisting she wear the clothes and the hairstyle she had used in the murder plot, forcing her to come with him back to the murder scene, up the tower, and forcing her to confess? And he forces all this on her and expects her to comply just... because? Hell any one of those in isolation would be enough to ward off a normal woman, but she goes along with it all because she 'loves' him. How convenient!

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
TrulyBritish said:
Samtemdo8 said:

But at least Batman 1989 FELT like a Batman movie than the Nolan Trilogy because having recently watched the Dark Knight, they feel unrecognizable as a proper DC Comics movie so fuck it, screw my rule in the OP.

The Dark Knight is now the most overrated movie ever. And its all entirely on this near god-like veneration of Heath Ledger's Joker.

Its like these people has never seen Acting before and yet the praise of Ledger's Joker performance feels like it overshadows all others.

What ever happened to Malcolm MacDowall? What happened to Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, What happened to Tom Hanks?

I mean the mere fact a documentary is made about this actor's performance as the Joker speaks for itself about how overrated this is:

I rewatched Batman (1989) recently and sadly it doesn't hold up for me. Yes, its got nice production values, music and costuming, but wow, I found it incredibly boring at times and its script has issues. Also I'm not really a fan of Jack Nicholson's performance as Joker.

Even if the Nolan films go for a more realistic approach, at least that had some earnest and tried to be insightful when trying to give depth. The '89 film is just all style, but no substance imo.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Natemans said:
Samtemdo8 said:
TrulyBritish said:
Samtemdo8 said:

I rewatched Batman (1989) recently and sadly it doesn't hold up for me. Yes, its got nice production values, music and costuming, but wow, I found it incredibly boring at times and its script has issues. Also I'm not really a fan of Jack Nicholson's performance as Joker.

Even if the Nolan films go for a more realistic approach, at least that had some earnest and tried to be insightful when trying to give depth. The '89 film is just all style, but no substance imo.
I feel if anyone could have been a great Joker, it be Jim Carrey. Sadly Carrey is old now and his talent was wasted on The Riddler.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
Natemans said:
Samtemdo8 said:
TrulyBritish said:
Samtemdo8 said:

I feel if anyone could have been a great Joker, it be Jim Carrey. Sadly Carrey is old now and his talent was wasted on The Riddler.
I still loved him as Riddler

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
"Singing in the Rain"

People only care about that one dancing number, and the movie was even built around it. The rest of the film is a typical cringe fest of a musical.