Overrated games are still exelent

Kashif Omer

Oct 12, 2010
There is a very good reason final fantasy 7, halo, gears, and pokemon are overrated. Its because they are great games, you have to be very high rated before you are overrated. Stop dismising these games as bad

Zabriskie Point

Nov 22, 2010
I don't think you understand the word overrated.

And who says Pokemon is overrated? Pokemon is awesome.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Cool.
On the topic of things that are overrated, discussion is really quite overrated. Who needs it when you can have genius threads like this one?

Dr. Whiggs

Jan 12, 2008
Kashif Omer said:
There is a very good reason final fantasy 7, halo, gears, and pokemon are overrated. Its because they are great games, you have to be very high rated before you are overrated. Stop dismising these games as bad
I will dismiss Halo as a trite, blazingly mediocre shooter all I want, pal, because them's the facts.

ilspooner

Apr 13, 2010
I thought more people hated pokemon on this site. Odd. Whelp, I will just go and enjoy what I want to.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Perhaps it would have been better to use the term "mainstream" instead of "overrated." The Escapist forums tend to attract hipsters who dislike games simply because they're popular. When pressured, many of them will admit lots of mainstream games are at least decent. It's more about the attention they garner that may or may not overshadow more obscure games.

One of the Escapist's current articles has something to say about the value of mainstream games:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_299/8744-The-Bolshevik-in-the-Borderlands

Zabriskie Point

Nov 22, 2010
will1182 said:
So many people have jumped on the Halo hate bandwagon over the years, that I would now consider it underrated, if anything.

Pokemon is severely underrated, although maybe just on this site.
Pokemon is underrated in society.

"Oh hey bro, whatcha playin'?"

"POKEMANS!? WHAT ARE YOU? 9?"

Fuck my friends.

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
Thery're not overrated if you think they're not. You don't think that great games are overrated, because they wouldn't be great. It all boils down to pesonal opinion.

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
if a game is really as great as they say, then it's not overrated. it lives up to expectations.

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
Zabriskie Point said:
will1182 said:
So many people have jumped on the Halo hate bandwagon over the years, that I would now consider it underrated, if anything.

Pokemon is severely underrated, although maybe just on this site.
Pokemon is underrated in society.

"Oh hey bro, whatcha playin'?"

"POKEMANS!? WHAT ARE YOU? 9?"

Fuck my friends.
This really stupid kid who hangs out with my group at lunch, gave some people shit about playing Pokemon. Most of the time, he's trying the convince the everyone that he's the biggest asshole on Earth.

Kashif Omer

Oct 12, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
Perhaps it would have been better to use the term "mainstream" instead of "overrated." The Escapist forums tend to attract hipsters who dislike games simply because they're popular. When pressured, many of them will admit lots of mainstream games are at least decent. It's more about the attention they garner that may or may not overshadow more obscure games.

One of the Escapist's current articles has something to say about the value of mainstream games:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_299/8744-The-Bolshevik-in-the-Borderlands
good point, its just the "Overratted games you'll never play" thread annoyed me, still popular stuff is fun

Dr. Whiggs said:
Kashif Omer said:
I will dismiss Halo as a trite, blazingly mediocre shooter all I want, pal, because them's the facts.
okay support this statement, the controls for the games work pretty well, the enemies are varied, most of the weapons are fun to use, and some great music to boot.

swytchblayd

May 28, 2008
First off, it's "excellent".

Second, at least half of the games you mentioned (namely Halo and GoW) are overrated because they are mediocre, but have such huge hype that we are lead to believe that "everyone plays them", and thus they earn the "overrated" moniker. They aren't terrible (well, Halo is up for debate), but they definitely aren't something to get as excited over as other games.

On the flipside, from my experiences consisting of getting to the 3rd disk on FF7 (after which I got frustrated on a boss, quit for some time, and before I could get back to it the computer I was using crashed and I had no backup of anything >.<) and a few hours of (I loathe to admit) one of the early Pokemon games, I can state that I had fun, though again the proportion of things has been hyped to high heaven, and thus they too get the "overrated" title.

In Pokemon's case, it's the sheer number of games that have come out combined with a half-arsed TV/Movie series and a major card game, and for FF7 it's the fanboy hype that states it as being "t3h beest gAMe EvAR!!1" which earned it such a title. And the fact that Square-Enix put out a "what-the-hell-is-going-on" mini-"movie" pertaining to the "aftermath" of the events that occurred in FF7. And before anyone attempts to do so, no, I don't want to know what was going on in that gods-forsaken ....thing.

2ndblackjedi

Sep 12, 2008
Nothing is popular for no reason has always been my thought on things people call "over-rated" or "mainstream". Even if it's not something that one person likes, it's something that other people like. Just different opinions, some opinons are just more popular.

Dr. Whiggs

Jan 12, 2008
Kashif Omer said:
Dr. Whiggs said:
Kashif Omer said:
okay support this statement, the controls for the games work pretty well, the enemies are varied, most of the weapons are fun to use, and some great music to boot.
So your criteria for "excellent" is "works."

Also the AI's crap, the weapons are significantly less intimidating than Nerf blasters, and the music straight bitin' on Bernard Herrman and Samuel Barber.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
People still don't understand opinions? Just because you deem a game overrated, does not make it so.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Kashif Omer said:
I'm wiling to concede on that point, sure. Pokemon aside those aren't really games I get into but they're still "great games". They just aren't for me.