Overwatch is Blizzard-Meets-TF2, and It Is Glorious

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Overwatch is Blizzard-Meets-TF2, and It Is Glorious

If you ever enjoyed a match of Team Fortress 2, you?ll want to get in on the Overwatch Beta next year.

Read Full Article

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Sounds like the standard Blizzard formula: take an existing concept, polish until it's shiny enough to blind. They might not score high in originality but they certainly know how to put together an appealing package.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
I never played TF2. Not even once. I haven't actually played a team FPS since Bad Company 2! But somehow I can't wait for this.

Tracer, Bastion and Mercy for me I think.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Elijah Newton said:
PC only, or are console versions expected?
The controls are simple-enough that a console version isn't straight-out. They certainly wouldn't need to spend an eternity trying to figure-out the best configuration like with Diablo III. That said, there isn't any word on a console version yet.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Having gone to BlizzCon, I basically spent the entire event rotating between waiting in line to play Overwatch, and playing Overwatch. Definitely looking forward to this game.

IMAGinES

Jun 1, 2009
Aww damn it. Even more flimsy justification for getting a graphics card for my PC...

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I wonder how beefy Bastion will be. I remember playin Heavies in TF2 and just findin the entire thing abysmal. Sure you could take a bunch of shots to stomach, but you were pretty helpless against anythin farther than 3 feet from you and were slow as hell even with those stupid gloves.

I am super interested in Pharah and Tracer though. My favorite classes in TF2 were the Scout and the Soldier because I loved being super duper mobile. Pharah and Tracer look like they're basically Soldiers and Scouts on crack, which appeals to every part of me.

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
I don't *get* Overwatch.

There's a "flaw" in magic, in that it can get really complicated and instants and interrupts slow down gameplay, and hence: Hearthstone.

There's a "flaw" in moba's, in that they can take forever to get to a teamfight and when you get there the game is decided in 2 minutes, and hence: Heroes of the Storm.

But for the life of me I can't figure out what would be wrong with TF2 that they can "fix". And it really, *really* looks like it's just TF2...

We'll see, I guess.

Jadedvet

Jul 1, 2013
This is looking really good. I'm hoping for a slot in the beta next spring.

The only downside is that after seeing game's world and characters in the CG animation, I really want to see the MMO this game was meant to be. Such a shame they couldn't pull it off.

Jetsetneo

Apr 2, 2010
PH3NOmenon said:
I don't *get* Overwatch.

There's a "flaw" in magic, in that it can get really complicated and instants and interrupts slow down gameplay, and hence: Hearthstone.

There's a "flaw" in moba's, in that they can take forever to get to a teamfight and when you get there the game is decided in 2 minutes, and hence: Heroes of the Storm.

But for the life of me I can't figure out what would be wrong with TF2 that they can "fix". And it really, *really* looks like it's just TF2...

We'll see, I guess.
I would say that the current 'flaw' in TF2 is weapon bloat, hats, and 'random-ness' like bumper cars. The weapon bloat is way harder to balance than say, individual characters. At least thats how I see it. The focus on stuff like 'hats' pulls attention away from the game itself. Random stuff like 'bumper cars' keep it from being taken seriously on a 'competitive' level.

Not that any of things are necessarily bad, but Blizzard is clearly shooting for 'Competitive' and approaching it with moba-style character creation instead (unique weapons, abilities and 'ultimate' for each character).

This guy explains it best imo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZBgxS9KUY0