Overwatch Will Cost $40 on PC, $60 on PS4, Xbox One

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Overwatch Will Cost $40 on PC, $60 on PS4, Xbox One

Off the back of yesterday's leak, we now know what the pricing options for Overwatch will be.

Yesterday, a BlizzCon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161332-Overwatch-Launch-Spring-2016-PS4-PC-Xbox-One] Overwatch panel, we have a bit more info on the game, including how much it will cost. Overwatch will come in three flavors: a PC-exclusive digital download edition for $40, an "Origins Edition" for $60, which contains a suite of goodies similar to Blizzard's other Digital Deluxe editions, and a physical collector's edition for $130, which includes a bunch of in-game goodies.

All three editions will contain all of the game's 21 heroes. For those hoping for free-to-play, or worried about additional heroes being microtransactions, the wording of the press release ("along with the final three heroes in Overwatch's 21-character roster") suggested that Overwatch will only have 21 heroes.

The Origins Edition comes with 5 in-game skins and cross-game digital goodies for other Blizzard franchises. The collector's edition comes with everything in the Origin Edition, plus a "Visual Sourcebook," a soundtrack and a statue of Overwatch's former Strike-Commander.

Pre-purchasing either of the three editions also gives you the Noire Widowmaker skin. You can pre-purchase the game here [http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/buy/].

What do you guys think about this? Full-price for a multiplayer only title hasn't worked out too well in the past [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/12957-Turtle-Rock-Studios-Evolve-Review#&gid=gallery_3804&pid=1], but there are cases when it is done well. Furthermore, it looks like it's main competitor will be Team Fortress 2, which is currently free-to-play with quite a substantial player base.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
All the top shooters work or worked well as payed shooters.
The biggest Shooter on steam is CSGO which costs money.
The game that used to be top place is Team Fortress 2, at the time it was at the top it was buy to play.
On console The top shooters are COD Halo and Gears of War.

Im hardpressed to find any shooter that started as free to play and is anywhere near CSGOS or CODs popularity.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Well i'm not buying this game on launch. Maybe if people are still dedicated to playing it a few months after release and it's not another Titanfall (remember that game?) I might buy it. The open beta has to be fuckin' spectacular though.

I don't really get why they went full price, their main competition is free to play (TF2) and something cheap that goes on a huge sale regularly (CS:GO) I mean you're trying to get people to come over from those games but are faced with a substantial paywall. So they go back to other shooters. Really, i'm just passing whisky in Fistful of Frags or spamming high fives in TF2, why switch over when i'm having fun with those games.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
I don't understand why people are treating Full priced multiplayer games as a 'new' thing. I don't have a problem with multiplayer only games coming in at full price as a general rule, but I do have a problem with how recent games have been launching with in terms of content.

Games like Titanfall lacked important community features that were only propped up by a paper thin progression systems. Evolve had similar problems with the added bonus of having been cut to pieces by shitty pre-order practices. As successful as it has been for games like TF2 and CSGO, I don't really care for the skin hunt as a way to maintain longevity either.

As for Overwatch, I have not seen anything that can really justify its full price yet. All of 2 announced modes and no info on the types of things that keep multiplayer communities alive such as private matches, custom options, saved games/theater, map making/mod tools,etc.

It sounds nice to have lots of characters, but its unlikely that most players are going to enjoy playing all of them and playing on a handful of maps and modes can get old fast regardless of the quality of the gameplay itself. So perhaps more will be announced by the time the game releases, but as it is now it doesn't really seem to be worth it.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
GiantRedButton said:
All the top shooters work or worked well as payed shooters.
The biggest Shooter on steam is CSGO which costs money.
The game that used to be top place is Team Fortress 2, at the time it was at the top it was buy to play.
On console The top shooters are COD Halo and Gears of War.

Im hardpressed to find any shooter that started as free to play and is anywhere near CSGOS or CODs popularity.
CS:GO is $15.
Team Fortress 2 cost about the same as CS:GO before it went F2P.
CoD, Halo, and Gears of War all had campaigns.

In comparision, Overwatch costs $40 for PC, $60 for consoles, and all of this for a multiplayer-only game with microtransactions.

Long and short, it seems to me like Blizzard is trying to have their cake and eat it too. This is not going to go over well, and will kill much of the hype they had built up.

A shame. I was planning on picking it up. Certainly won't at that price.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
No thank you, 40$ is far too much, not even speaking to console gamers who have to fork over 60$ for the inferior version, yeah I was already iffy because of the talk about Blizzard servers, but now? No thank you, make it a F2P game with reasonable cosmetic or time-saving micro-transactions OR a 15$ game with a good progression system and no microtransactions and I'll give it another look once I get a better PC, until then, I'll wait

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Eh, I can't say I'm all that interested. If it intends to compete with TF2, then it needs to be similarly priced - $15 like it was when it wasn't F2P, or make it F2P but have a steady flow of cosmetics being churned out (either by the dev team or by the community. A price point that high PLUS the microtransactions seems a bit too much (though the mannconomy update did come before the F2P update in TF2, the game was quite reasonably priced at $15, not counting frequent sales).

Though I wasn't too excited by the gameplay trailers, news of lacking feature, and beta streams, I was still hoping to try this out if it was cheap or free. Now I think I'll just have to pass on it.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
They fucked up biiiig with this one. Microtransactions in a B2P multiplayer game is absolutely OK to me as long as they keep away from pay2win, but recent history has shown the market is not kind to full priced MP only games, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is now hesitant to buy just out of fear that the playerbase will evaporate overnight like it did with Titanfall to my eternal sadness.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
20 dollars is about my limit for a purely multiplayer experience. I'll have to wait for this to be on sale before I can pick it up in good conscience.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Yeah no, fuck off Blizzard, I ain't paying that much for a multiplayer only game, not after Titanfall and most certainly NOT after Evolve. $20 or maybe $30 I'm okay with, but nothing more. Fuck off.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Any chance of me playing this just dropped like a Skrillex beat crashing horrifically though the floor.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I just checked the Blizzard store......$89.99AUD, Jesus guys I love you but not that fucking much.

EDIT: Okay, turns out that's for the Origins Edition, the regular is $69.95. I still don't love you that much, Blizzard.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
Not to be nit-picky, but...Soldier 76? Really? That's who you pick to make a statue of? He's literally the least interesting, least creative character of the bunch >_>

Come on Blizzard; you could have made the statue be Tracer, the face of the game.

Dalrien

Jun 14, 2014
I wonder if any of the people complaining about Overwatch costing MONEY actually bought Titanfall.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Well that explains why they were always so squirrelly whenever anyone asked about the pricing structure. I'll give them credit though, they were savvy enough to realize how well this announcement would go over and made sure to get the hype-train rolling before slamming the breaks.

That said they can also afford to simply throw money at this until it works or they get bored, so it's not going anywhere, and their core audience will still pick it up. We'll see where it goes, but I don't see this working out well in the short-term.