Overwatch Will Cost $40 on PC, $60 on PS4, Xbox One

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
SlumlordThanatos said:
Hey, I said I understood why they make these choices, I never said I agree with them. I doubt Overwatch will do well on consoles at all since the market for multiplayer shooters there is abysmal unless you're CoD or Battlefield, and unless it can find a better price model and the features usually expected from a PC shooter (private servers, mod tools), it's lifetime on PC is going to be very short lived and leave behind only diehard Blizz fans in the remaining servers until Blizzard shuts them down.

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
Didn't hurt TF2 at all. Or the previous versions of Counter Strike or Day of Defeat... Or a dozen other Team-FPS games.
Um, yes, of course not; those games have dedicated servers. Especially in FPS it's something that people more and more expect.
You're right, I misinterpreted as developer-supported dedicated servers. Thanks for the catch.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
erttheking said:
Dalrien said:
I wonder if any of the people complaining about Overwatch costing MONEY actually bought Titanfall.
Wouldn't that make them hypocrites if they did?

And yeah...I don't like paying full price for games that may have dead servers in three months.

Sue me.
to be fair it is blizzard so im doubtful there will ever be dead servers.

OT: people relax! its blizzard they don't screw up often and even when they do it tends to work itself out with in a few months and become awesome. Unless your one of those idiots who thinks they spit 1 game into 3 with starcraft 2 in which case there is no hope for you go cry in a corner:)

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
ecoho said:
erttheking said:
Dalrien said:
I wonder if any of the people complaining about Overwatch costing MONEY actually bought Titanfall.
Wouldn't that make them hypocrites if they did?

And yeah...I don't like paying full price for games that may have dead servers in three months.

Sue me.
to be fair it is blizzard so im doubtful there will ever be dead servers.

OT: people relax! its blizzard they don't screw up often and even when they do it tends to work itself out with in a few months and become awesome. Unless your one of those idiots who thinks they spit 1 game into 3 with starcraft 2 in which case there is no hope for you go cry in a corner:)
It's a gamble, especially considering this is a game that's trying to compete with TF2, which is currently free. I'll wait until a few months after it's release. Blizzard's name doesn't mean much when it goes up against one of the most popular FPSs of all time.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Dalrien said:
I'm thinking they did. Probably Evolve too. And that's the problem. Those games died in a few months, hardly a good investment.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
For us Aussies it's $70, with the Origins Edition being $90.

Yeah, I'm thinkin' that's just a wee bit steep for my tastes, no matter how much I actually want to play it.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
AstaresPanda said:
GiantRedButton said:
All the top shooters work or worked well as payed shooters.
The biggest Shooter on steam is CSGO which costs money.
The game that used to be top place is Team Fortress 2, at the time it was at the top it was buy to play.
On console The top shooters are COD Halo and Gears of War.

Im hardpressed to find any shooter that started as free to play and is anywhere near CSGOS or CODs popularity.
CS was a free mod bro, was pretty much free up untill cs:s.

But TROLOL not even interested in overwatch really but that price difference thou
Good point with two things i wouldn't quite call comparable.
The counterstrike mod was free but not free 2 play. I dont know how profitable it was before it went paid either. Im looking for a shooter with a f2p buisnessmodel that became as big as the non f2p ones.
You also needed to buy half life but plenty of people already owned it. I'd count it as free.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Mmm I check my spec with the game spec and it seen my graphic card is not up for the task.

I guess by the time I get a new pc, the game itself would had gone down.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Mr.Tea said:
That'd do it. I'm not a big TF2 fan so I didn't give enough of a shit about this game to look for myself. I took the collective mumbling of the internet as truth.

ShakerSilver said:
They know they can price it at any point they want, they know they can shove as many microtransactions they care to get away with, they know they can lock off content however they please, because they know their fans will buy it. My friend described it as an addiction (even going as far as to describe HotS and Hearthstone as "gateway games"), which I find quite worrying. Even Valve has this fanboyism to some extent - not nearly as big as Blizzard though. It definitely isn't the healthiest way to build a fanbase, but it certainly is profitable.
You do know that Blizzard, and to a lesser extent Riot and Valve, employs psychologists with the sole purpose of making their games addicting, right?

Sep 24, 2008
One of my favorite games ever was Monday Night Combat.

It was a MOBA Third Person shooter complete with creeps, a moneyball, and a humor that just got me. I played twenty bucks for it. And for a few glorious months, my actual reflexes, intelligence, and skill were paid off with victories or close matches where I didn't even mind that I lost.

Then the developers decided to go F2P with it's sequel.

The charm wasn't the same. It felt like a more incomplete experience. Load times where horrible. In efforts to get a bigger market share, it ended up alienating a lot of players. I barely got two months of experience of it. And the most I felt was "it's alright".

Overwatch has charm. But I don't want to pay for something that might die. Like Evolve. Like Titanfall. I don't understand how developers can think we should over look these past failures all the time for their new hot thing. Do they really think us that stupid?