Overwatch Will Have Hearthstone-Style Weekly Brawls

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Overwatch Will Have Hearthstone-Style Weekly Brawls

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1302/1302002.jpg
Overwatch is incorporating one of Hearthstone's most popular features.

The Tavern Brawl [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141112-Hearthstones-New-Tavern-Brawl-Gamemode] gamemode that Blizzard introduced to Hearthstone last year quickly proved to be a fan favorite - it was a fun way to enjoy "wacky" and random rules and cards without having to focus on the "serious business" meta-decking that usually goes on with the game. It now looks like Blizzard is bringing that same concept to its upcoming shooter: Overwatch, with the introduction of weekly brawls.

"Weekly Brawls are a fun, alternative way to play Overwatch," wrote Blizzard in a blog post [http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20742805135]. "Each week, we'll rotate in a different Weekly Brawl featuring a set of unique (and sometimes crazy) rules from our Custom Game system."

[gallery=6067]

"For example: In one Weekly Brawl, you'll only be able to play Soldier: 76, while in another Weekly Brawl, a random hero will be selected for you each time you respawn. Other Weekly Brawls will restrict you to Support heroes only, or Tank heroes only, or Defense heroes only-and more!"

The feature is currently live in the game's closed beta, and the current brawl restricts players to playing as the two "ninja" characters: Hanzo and Genji.

Additionally, for all of you lucky enough to be in said closed beta, a new payload map: Route 66 has been added, alongside a new "replay" feature that lets players save highlights of their most recent match, and a revamp of the "play of the game" system.

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20742805135]

Newage

Aug 21, 2014
"Play of the game", not "play of the day" :)

Having tried the first Brawl, I can say it is very fun. I hope they can find enough different variations to keep it fresh.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Newage said:

Having tried the first Brawl, I can say it is very fun. I hope they can find enough different variations to keep it fresh.
I've been keeping up with the game, which isn't something I do often considering I've yet to play it. They're able to actually see what settings people use during private matches and which ones are popular, which, as they stated could lead to overall changes for the game if they prove popular and work well with the game, or, as I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest, for their weekly brawls.

Sep 24, 2008
This is almost no different than L4d2 mutations. And I had a lot of fun with Mutations. As only one of my friends played with me at the time, we had trouble with random people beating 'Flu Season' I think it was called (Boomers with really amped up Mods and Spitters with amped up damage), TAAANNKKK (you get the deal with that) and others. It could be good.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Newage said:

Its kind of interesting in that regard. At the moment they're only using the current rules you can make in custom games, which somewhat limits them. They have said they plan to eventually expand it to allow things that you can't just make on your own in custom games, but no eta on when that'll be possible.