Overwatch Winter Event Goes Live

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Overwatch Winter Event Goes Live

From now until January 2 you'll be able to earn some exclusive holiday-themed Overwatch loot.

The Overwatch holiday event [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168987-Overwatchs-Holiday-Event-Kicks-Off-Next-Tuesday] Blizzard teased last week has just kicked off, and has brought with it a plethora of new holiday-themed skins, some holiday-themed maps and even an exclusive new mode. The event runs from now until January 2, and just like the Halloween and Summer Games events before it, players are guaranteed at least one themed item from every lootbox they open during its run.

First and foremost, because I know it's what everyone is most looking forward to, here are all of the exclusive holiday skins that will only be available throughout the event:

[gallery=6667]

Next up, here are the winter versions of Kings Row and Hanamura that will replace the vanilla versions of the map throughout the event:

[gallery=6668]

Finally, during this year's Winter Wonderland event, you'll also be able to queue up for a brand new brawl: Mei's Snowball Offensive. In this brawl, all players play as Mei, and her Endothermic Blaster no longer unleashes a stream of frost or shoots icicles. Instead, it's been modified to fire a single, super-powered snowball that instantly eliminates anyone it hits. Additionally, Mei's ultimate has been modified for this brawl - it turns her blaster into a semi-automatic snowball launcher.

Like the Halloween event, loot boxes for Winter Wonderland can be earned normally or purchased for real money. You can also purchase specific Winter Wonderland cosmetics with in-game credits, although they do cost 3x the price of regular items.

Happy Holidays!

Source: Blizzard [https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20393880]

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
W-w-where's the mercy skin? D:

Months of saving currency, all WASTED! *throws out toys along with the pram*

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
The Zenyatta Nutcracker skin is hands-down the greatest thing to ever come out of the game industry. Nothing can compete to it's magnificent glory.

Feb 7, 2016
Zenyatta is one of my "mains" and I don't really dig the Nutcracker skin as much as everyone else it seems.

I mean, I like it, but it's not as flashy as some of the others. Like that Phara skin? Holy crap, that skin is badass. And Yeti Winston!

Anyway, the Mei game mode is kind of lame, and I didn't get my Soldier: 76 christmas sweater. So I'm a little disappointed.

Really like the King's Row Christmasification map though.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Borty The Bort said:
The Zenyatta Nutcracker skin is hands-down the greatest thing to ever come out of the game industry. Nothing can compete to it's magnificent glory.
Honestly, I think that more than makes up for his lackluster Halloween skin. In more ways than one given how creepy it is.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Frankster said:

It came out two months ago. :^)

Already made a topic on this so I'll just quote myself:
RJ 17 said:
Gotta say most of them are pretty "meh" in my opinion. The Wintson one's alright, and I do like the Pharah and Reaper ones...but good god, Mei's is an absolute rip-off. 3k credits for what equates to a Christmas-based recolor with a Santa hat. By comparison, Lucio got the same treatment: wintery recolor with a Santa hat, and his only costs 750. I'd imagine Mei's will probably have some unique voicelines/interactions, but I still don't think it's worth 3k.
I've since been informed that Mei's ice-block turns her into a snowman. Well la-dee-frickin'-dah...still doesn't make the skin worth 3k credits.

Hell, Roadhog's skin is more of a change to his base skin than Mei's, and his only costs 750.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
RJ 17 said:
Frankster said:

Already made a topic on this so I'll just quote myself:
RJ 17 said:
Gotta say most of them are pretty "meh" in my opinion. The Wintson one's alright, and I do like the Pharah and Reaper ones...but good god, Mei's is an absolute rip-off. 3k credits for what equates to a Christmas-based recolor with a Santa hat. By comparison, Lucio got the same treatment: wintery recolor with a Santa hat, and his only costs 750. I'd imagine Mei's will probably have some unique voicelines/interactions, but I still don't think it's worth 3k.
I've since been informed that Mei's ice-block turns her into a snowman. Well la-dee-frickin'-dah...still doesn't make the skin worth 3k credits.

Hell, Roadhog's skin is more of a change to his base skin than Mei's, and his only costs 750.

Only stuff so that jumped out as me as must have was mercys 'guardian angel' voiceline, and D.vas christmas lights victory pose. Some of the other stuff is nice, but It won't upset me if I don't get them. (no temptation to buy loot boxes like with witch mercy).

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Windknight said:
Only stuff so that jumped out as me as must have was mercys 'guardian angel' voiceline, and D.vas christmas lights victory pose. Some of the other stuff is nice, but It won't upset me if I don't get them. (no temptation to buy loot boxes like with witch mercy).
Same. Some of the goodies aren't too bad, but in terms of Legendary skins, I'd say Halloween definitely beat out Christmas.

Oh well, here's hoping for Valentine's Day. :p

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
RJ 17 said:
Windknight said:
Same. Some of the goodies aren't too bad, but in terms of Legendary skins, I'd say Halloween definitely beat out Christmas.

Oh well, here's hoping for Valentine's Day. :p
Well, probably be an easter and/or spring themed event which should net Pharah and/or Mercy a fairy outfit.

Though now you've mentioned valentines day, I'm imagining a Cupid Hanzo.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I like all of them a lot, except Mei and Lucio. They can't seem to get many good skins. Though Lucio's may grow on me.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The Enquirer said:
I like all of them a lot, except Mei and Lucio. They can't seem to get many good skins. Though Lucio's may grow on me.
Maybe it's because I'm Canadian, but Lucio's hockey skins are among my favourites.

OT: Mei's is alright if you remember that her ice cube turns her into a snowwoman with it.

To be honest, I like them all, but Zen, Winston, Torb, and Pharah are probably the standouts for me.

Also, the new brawl is kinda fun, but it's no Junkenstein's Revenge. Maybe it's just because I suck at aiming though.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Well tomorrow I'm gonna be spending another ?60.00 on loot boxes just to get everythin-PLEASE HELP I HAVE A PROBLEM!

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
Zenyatta is one of my mains, but even if I do get that Nutcracker skin I don't think I'll be using it. It just doesn't look that cool to me. Surely not as much as my current Djinn skin.

Yeti Winston looks nice though.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
RedDeadFred said:
OT: Mei's is alright if you remember that her ice cube turns her into a snowwoman with it.
hmm... that's going to be interesting to see how that interacts with her halloween Highlight Intro.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Nice split this event between meh and OMGIWANTTHATSOBAD (namely Winston, Torb, McCree, and Zen's new skins). That Mei legendary may genuinely be the most disappointing skin Overwatch has ever had though, I was really looking forward to her finally getting an interesting skin and instead we get this pile of dullness. I imagine Zarya mains are harboring pretty similar feelings right about now as well.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Frankster said:

Small comfort to those of us who missed the Halloween event. My waifu needs outfits! Hell, I'd settle for the default costume with a sprig of mistletoe on her halo.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
Honestly, I'm pretty saddened by the lack of ugly Christmas sweaters for the older cast members. I would've loved to see Ana knitting as an emote, or hell even a massive sweater pulled taught over Reinhardt's armour. Or maybe even D.Va having one in her pilot form with sleeves too long for her.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
RedDeadFred said:
The Enquirer said:
Maybe it's because I'm Canadian, but Lucio's hockey skins are among my favourites.

To be honest, I like them all, but Zen, Winston, Torb, and Pharah are probably the standouts for me.

Also, the new brawl is kinda fun, but it's no Junkenstein's Revenge. Maybe it's just because I suck at aiming though.
The reason I'm not a fan of the Mei one is because it's literally a recolor of her default skin with a Santa hat. The snowman feature is pretty neat, but overall I'm just let down by it. It's literally the only legendary skin in the game that's just a recolor of the default skins.

Also speaking as a Winston main, its' great to finally get a skin besides the default one I like.

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
Weresquirrel said:
Honestly, I'm pretty saddened by the lack of ugly Christmas sweaters for the older cast members. I would've loved to see Ana knitting as an emote, or hell even a massive sweater pulled taught over Reinhardt's armour. Or maybe even D.Va having one in her pilot form with sleeves too long for her.
I'm kind of surprised by the backlash that Blizzard is getting for not making ugly sweaters. Sure, they get backlash all the time for the stupidest things, but this is the most outrage there ever has been for a single skin, particularly for Soldier:76

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Don't want to sound complainey, I'm super happy with Santa Torb, but I wish that his armor packs were little presents. Rudolph Turret is nice.

Agreed with most about Mei, it's pretty much a recolor, though it does turn her ice block form into a snowman to be fair. Also her game mode is god awful for dummies like me who cant aim. Torbjorn main BTW.

Zenyatta's creeps me out, I like McCree's (it changes his model more then Mei's legendary at a glance), Winston's is my favorite. Everyone else's is different flavors of cool.

I like the "toast" victory poses, though I would prefer Torb and Reinhardt's mugs to not be steaming (damn how nitpicky can you get?)