Overwatch's Chinese NY Skins, CTF Mode, Leaked in Video

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Overwatch's Chinese NY Skins, CTF Mode, Leaked in Video

A new video has leaked most, if not all of the upcoming Overwatch event's skins, as well as what appears to be a new CTF game mode.

We know that Blizzard is planning an leaked online this morning [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169318-Overwatch-Year-of-the-Rooster-Event-Coming-January-24], and though it has since been removed, once something goes up on the internet, it's almost impossible to bring down, and several other YouTubers have managed to snag the file and re-upload it. You can view it to the right, provided Blizzard doesn't take it down.

As you can see, there are a plethora of new skins, including what appears to be legendary skins for Roadhog, Reinhart, Zenyatta and Winston that are based on the legend of the Monkey King. Even more interesting is the reveal of a brand-new game mode: Capture The Flag. While CTF is an FPS standard, it has been absent from Overwatch, which features only payload push and control point capture style maps.

It's not known of CTF will be a permanent edition to the game, or simply a limited-time brawl like the snowball battle of the Christmas event.

[gallery=6837]

According to the trailer, the event will run from January 24 (which is today?) until February 13. Blizzard also stated back in its initial reveal that the event would kick off on January 24, and as Overwatch is currently downloading a background patch, you can expect the event to start today or tomorrow.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-overwatch-skins-map-and-mode-shown-in-another-/1100-6447191/]

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I can't help but somewhat giggle at Overwatch getting Chinese skins paying homage to Chinese culture, when a few months ago, there was a straight up bootleg Overwatch made in China that people gave a lot of flack for. Everything gets a chinese bootleg "It's alright, they always do that", OW gets it "This is a straight up insult to the franchise! We declare Copyright Infrigiment on these f*ckers. Don't these people have any shame?"

animeprime

Feb 18, 2013
Neat! I like the Journey to the West theme they've got going for some of them, but I can't remember which character Reinhart is supposed to be.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I like these skins alot. After the somewhat disappointing winter event (with the exceptions of Phara, Reaper, winston and Symmetra's intro) I am happy there seems to be alot more effort to make these new skins look different from the originals. And also don't look out of place after the event is over.

Feb 7, 2016
Skins are really nice, even the recolors have a nice aesthetic to them.

I'll have to come back later though. Hopefully not too long. Ping is at 300 every match and it's really fucking with me.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Sweet! A CTF mode! That was always my favorite mode in an FPS game which is why one of my most played maps in Halo was Death Island and Danger Canyon and why my favorite map in TF2 was 2Fort.

Though I am worried that this new CTF mode is temporary like its Horde mode for Halloween.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
TheScorpion said:
Sweet! A CTF mode! That was always my favorite mode in an FPS game which is why one of my most played maps in Halo was Death Island and Danger Canyon and why my favorite map in TF2 was 2Fort.

Though I am worried that this new CTF mode is temporary like its Horde mode for Halloween.
It is temporary/might be an arcade rotation.
CTF just wouldn't work in competitive or normal matches. Overwatch's power creep is essentially mobility. So they added in a mechanic where you have to stand on a flag for a couple of seconds to take it and any damage greatly reduces progress.
It just doesn't really work, getting a flag basically turns into an ult fiesta with both teams trying to wipe out the other to pick up the flag.