Own Rockstar's Complete Art History for Just $450

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Own Rockstar's Complete Art History for Just $450

Fans of Grand Theft Auto will soon be able to collect a lavish three-book set detailing the game-maker's entire history, but it won't come cheap.

Thanks to its incredibly successful Grand Theft Auto series, there's no question that Rockstar is one of the most influential developers in the business today. It's also garnered its fair share of die-hard fans - and now those fans can get their hands on an astounding collection of Rockstar history ... as long as they've got a few hundred dollars lying around, that is.

Digital + Analogue: The Art and Science of Rockstar Games is a three-volume set published by German art book house Steidl [http://www.steidlville.com/books/1000-Digital-Analogue-The-Art-and-Science-of-Rockstar-Games.html], and will undoubtedly be one of the crown jewels in the collection of any fanatic GTA lover.

The three books feature "original illustrations, wireframes, production stills, product shots, ads, inspiration and candids of the company's games" as well as additional video/multimedia content on an included DVD. Given that the hugely detailed Rockstar environments (see also: GTA: San Andreas, Vice City, Red Dead Redemption) and colorful cast of characters are widely renowned as some of the best in the industry, I can think of few other developers who would better fit such a book collection.

Does this sound incredible? You bet. Will it punch you in your wallet? Definitely. As nifty as Digital + Analogue seems, it won't come cheap: You'll need to plunk down $450.00 / €352.00 / £310.00 if you're determined to get your hands on this baby. That seems a bit steep to me, but then again I did just spend $180 on a mecha model, so clearly I'm not the best judge of price.

Also, Amazon UK has it listed for £75 [http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Analogue-Science-Rockstar-Games/dp/3865219349/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279476990&sr=1-1], but that may be an error.

Price aside, this definitely looks like something worth spending money on if you love videogames and have the dough to burn.

(Via Develop Online [http://www.develop-online.net/news/35400/Triple-volume-300-book-offers-glimpse-into-Rockstar-Games])

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Get it for that before it goes up!

But seriously...thats ALOT of cash...

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
You'd think they'd give it a better front cover (if that picture really is what the front covers are going to look like).

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'm not so sure, I think it gives it a feeling of maturity, the understated covers, gives them the look and feel of the coffee table books that they're obviously being marketed as.

Books to be seen rather than read.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Art books are never cheap.

As I own every GTA game released on computer so far, I'd totally hit that if I had the scratch, but sadly I don't.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Oh

Shit

I've been putting money aside for a new set of wheels for months, now I have a serious quandry. I wonder if I take £300 pounds out of my main account, how pissed will the bank manager be? Although if the £300 on is a special edition and the £75 is the version for us mortals, that would be nice.

Slightly related note. Do you think Valve could be persuaded to release an art of TF2 book? Raising the Bar is my favourite game art/development book ever and a TF2 one would be marvellous.

Alex Cowan

Feb 13, 2010
John Funk said:
I did just spend $180 on a mecha models
Apologies for this, but there was a slight grammar error which my pathetic OCD grammar Nazi mind could not ignore.

OT: Concept art is often interesting, as it is a kind of window into the development of a game, as well as being good in an "art" sense, but $450 is a bit steep...

Low Key

May 7, 2009
For something that would just sit around in the Rockstar offices if it wasn't put into a book, $450 seems rather overpriced to me.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Since when was the GTA series ever appreciated for it's art? I mean, that's not rhetorical, I'm genuinely curious if there's some special art style in the GTA games that I've never noticed in what little I've seen of the franchise.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Hmm... £300-ish quid is a bit much, even if they are damn big books. £75 is more like it.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Very interesting, it is expensive but I bet that contais a lot of interesting stuff about Rockstar, they are one of those companies that do know how to make games good.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Since when was the GTA series ever appreciated for it's art? I mean, that's not rhetorical, I'm genuinely curious if there's some special art style in the GTA games that I've never noticed in what little I've seen of the franchise.
Well, the satire and story-lines are pretty good, but they work very well in the context of a game. Certain things are perfectly suited for their medium, and GTA games are one of those things.

The first act of RDR in particular is phenomenal in that it takes advantage of gaming and tells a story perfectly suited for gaming, that would be just plain poor anywhere else.

Unless you meant art style as in character designs, well the people on the box are drawn interestingly, beyond that not really unusual.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Does this include games that they made before the Rockstar name, like DMA Design (who made Lemmings)? I want official Lemmings artwork!!

magma

Jul 21, 2010
Art books tend to be horrendously expensive but this is rediculous. It's likely a good deal considering art book prices but at once is too much for me.

If they sold it in volumes they'd probably sell more for a higher price per page and we mortals might consider grabbing our prefered chunk.