Owning Halo Provides Unique "Flair" in Halo: Reach

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Owning Halo Provides Unique "Flair" in Halo: Reach

If you've been supporting the Halo series since the beginning, you'll be suitably rewarded in Halo: Reach.

Bungie has a lot of love for its longtime supporters. With possibly the studio's last Halo game, Halo: Combat Evolved [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1280619127&sr=8-2] for the PC.

Roger "Sawnose" Wolfson clarified on the Bungie forums [http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=46755796&postRepeater1-p=1#46763276] that owners of a valid CD key for the game will receive a "small visual flair" in Halo: Reach. This will not be a piece of armor or anything from the Armory, so don't expect anything on the level of Halo 3's Recon armor variant.

Wolfson says the flair is "just a little indication that people have been part of a certain Halo community for a while." Unfortunately, Wolfson admits that Bungie has no way of detecting if players have the arguably more popular original Xbox version of the game, so console owners are out of luck. Owners of Halo 2 for the PC are also excluded because Bungie wasn't involved with the port.

You'll be able to get the flair, according to Wolfson, if you've ever used your Halo: Combat Evolved CD key "technically, to enter the multiplayer game lobby, since that's what validates the key" up to the date of May 26th, 2010. The cutoff is to stop players from getting the flair that use a key generator program. Sadly, that means even legitimate purchasers of Halo are disqualified if the CD key was validated after that date.

This is sure to drive the Halo community insane considering the fervor some have for acquiring everything possible in the games. Just be careful with any illicit methods through which you might choose to pilfer this flair; you don't want to get banned until 9999 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/76674-Xbox-Hackers-Download-And-Play-Halo-3].

Via: Giant Bomb [http://www.giantbomb.com/news/halo-combat-evolved-pc-owners-to-get-a-halo-reach-treat/2377/]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats a shame...still for my old xbox copy lying around somewhere...

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Hmm... I have the game on PC, pretty sure the key is registered since I have played it online, but I don't really care for Halo anymore and don't even own a 360... >_>

Calhoun347

Aug 25, 2009
I'm not even sure how I feel about this. On the one hand. Awesome, on the other, they completely abandoned the PC.

It almost seems a slap in the face to us PC gamers.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Getting sick to death of this exclusivity. So to get all the armor, one would have to buy the legendry edition, have a copy of Halo activated on the PC, not the xbox, what next? People who played marathon can get-

Better stop there. At the rate bungies going at...

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
so which Console gamer brought the PC version of Halo? the console version came out early.

I'm confused here, is this coming to the PC?

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
mad825 said:
so which Console gamer brought the PC version of Halo? the console version came out early.

Whilst I'm sure this game would be far better on PC, considering Bungie are pretty much leaving to work with activison after Reach, it's looking unlikely. Hell, Halo 3 never made it onto PC.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
So basically its saying "Thanks for being a PC gamer, but you can't enjoy this game because its on XBOX!"

May 23, 2010
Hybridwolf said:
mad825 said:

Whilst I'm sure this game would be far better on PC, considering Bungie are pretty much leaving to work with activison after Reach, it's looking unlikely. Hell, Halo 3 never made it onto PC.
I really would appreciate Halo: Reach on steam. If they're working with Activision, then maybe the heartless-suit-bastards will port it over so they can by another castle?

EDIT: Mildly related, wouldn't it be nice if Age of Empires was on steam (1-Mythology)?

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
Hmm... I have the game on PC, pretty sure the key is registered since I have played it online, but I don't really care for Halo anymore and don't even own a 360... >_>
You totally want to give me your key? :) (If your ok with that ofc :) )

I would totally get CE, because I have been wanting to get it, but i cba if the code won't work, I like my cake with some icing ontop.

Zayren

Dec 5, 2008
This is so deliciously ironic. To thank the supporters of Halo, they give a reward to PC gamers, who likely haven't supported Halo further, mainly BECAUSE they're PC gamers. I mean, Halo is pretty much a console-exclusive, they never even bothered to port 3. Just a dumb decision, really.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
I really would appreciate Halo: Reach on steam. If they're working with Activision, then maybe the heartless-suit-bastards will port it over so they can by another castle?

EDIT: Mildly related, wouldn't it be nice if Age of Empires was on steam (1-Mythology)?
I'm under the impression that Reach will belong to Microsoft, and it'll be up to them to release it on PC. Since Bungie aren't working with them anymore, I sadly think it'll be restricted to 360.

Age of empires would be an awesome game to have steam, but I'd rather it be offered free, like they did with command and conquer. EA allowed people to download people the inital series up to red alert two for free, but I don't know which site or if they are still doing it.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
This is the one game that I'm truly sorry for pirating (and not just for this promotion). I'm a bad person and don't deserve a visual flair... :(
[sub]Not that I have a 360 anyway...[/sub]