Owning Halo Provides Unique "Flair" in Halo: Reach

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Owning Halo Provides Unique "Flair" in Halo: Reach

If you've been supporting the Halo series since the beginning, you'll be suitably rewarded in Halo: Reach.

Bungie has a lot of love for its longtime supporters. With possibly the studio's last Halo game, Halo: Combat Evolved [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1280619127&sr=8-2] for the PC.

Roger "Sawnose" Wolfson clarified on the Bungie forums [http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=46755796&postRepeater1-p=1#46763276] that owners of a valid CD key for the game will receive a "small visual flair" in Halo: Reach. This will not be a piece of armor or anything from the Armory, so don't expect anything on the level of Halo 3's Recon armor variant.

Wolfson says the flair is "just a little indication that people have been part of a certain Halo community for a while." Unfortunately, Wolfson admits that Bungie has no way of detecting if players have the arguably more popular original Xbox version of the game, so console owners are out of luck. Owners of Halo 2 for the PC are also excluded because Bungie wasn't involved with the port.

You'll be able to get the flair, according to Wolfson, if you've ever used your Halo: Combat Evolved CD key "technically, to enter the multiplayer game lobby, since that's what validates the key" up to the date of May 26th, 2010. The cutoff is to stop players from getting the flair that use a key generator program. Sadly, that means even legitimate purchasers of Halo are disqualified if the CD key was validated after that date.

This is sure to drive the Halo community insane considering the fervor some have for acquiring everything possible in the games. Just be careful with any illicit methods through which you might choose to pilfer this flair; you don't want to get banned until 9999 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/76674-Xbox-Hackers-Download-And-Play-Halo-3].

Via: Giant Bomb [http://www.giantbomb.com/news/halo-combat-evolved-pc-owners-to-get-a-halo-reach-treat/2377/]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats a shame...still for my old xbox copy lying around somewhere...

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Hmm... I have the game on PC, pretty sure the key is registered since I have played it online, but I don't really care for Halo anymore and don't even own a 360... >_>

Calhoun347

Aug 25, 2009
I'm not even sure how I feel about this. On the one hand. Awesome, on the other, they completely abandoned the PC.

It almost seems a slap in the face to us PC gamers.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Getting sick to death of this exclusivity. So to get all the armor, one would have to buy the legendry edition, have a copy of Halo activated on the PC, not the xbox, what next? People who played marathon can get-

Better stop there. At the rate bungies going at...

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
so which Console gamer brought the PC version of Halo? the console version came out early.

I'm confused here, is this coming to the PC?

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Hehe. Great now I gotta dig through my boxes for my CD key for Halo:CE for the PC. Course the problem is that I don't own an xbox and don't plan to get Halo: Reach.

Shame what a waste...if only the game came out for the PC...

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
mad825 said:
so which Console gamer brought the PC version of Halo? the console version came out early.

Whilst I'm sure this game would be far better on PC, considering Bungie are pretty much leaving to work with activison after Reach, it's looking unlikely. Hell, Halo 3 never made it onto PC.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
For PC? Dammit, I got it on console! You know? The one it originated on? The one that you didn't give extra things to? That's just mean.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Now i know that i have this around my house somewhere. Time to rip everything apart until i find it.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
So basically its saying "Thanks for being a PC gamer, but you can't enjoy this game because its on XBOX!"

May 23, 2010
Hybridwolf said:
mad825 said:

Whilst I'm sure this game would be far better on PC, considering Bungie are pretty much leaving to work with activison after Reach, it's looking unlikely. Hell, Halo 3 never made it onto PC.
I really would appreciate Halo: Reach on steam. If they're working with Activision, then maybe the heartless-suit-bastards will port it over so they can by another castle?

EDIT: Mildly related, wouldn't it be nice if Age of Empires was on steam (1-Mythology)?

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sadface for me and other console users. We might get it as default though.

On a side note, my little brothers lost my Halo: Combat Evolved manuel and refuse to find or replace it. I'm seriously pissed off by it.

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
Hmm... I have the game on PC, pretty sure the key is registered since I have played it online, but I don't really care for Halo anymore and don't even own a 360... >_>
You totally want to give me your key? :) (If your ok with that ofc :) )

I would totally get CE, because I have been wanting to get it, but i cba if the code won't work, I like my cake with some icing ontop.

Zayren

Dec 5, 2008
This is so deliciously ironic. To thank the supporters of Halo, they give a reward to PC gamers, who likely haven't supported Halo further, mainly BECAUSE they're PC gamers. I mean, Halo is pretty much a console-exclusive, they never even bothered to port 3. Just a dumb decision, really.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
I really would appreciate Halo: Reach on steam. If they're working with Activision, then maybe the heartless-suit-bastards will port it over so they can by another castle?

EDIT: Mildly related, wouldn't it be nice if Age of Empires was on steam (1-Mythology)?
I'm under the impression that Reach will belong to Microsoft, and it'll be up to them to release it on PC. Since Bungie aren't working with them anymore, I sadly think it'll be restricted to 360.

Age of empires would be an awesome game to have steam, but I'd rather it be offered free, like they did with command and conquer. EA allowed people to download people the inital series up to red alert two for free, but I don't know which site or if they are still doing it.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
This is the one game that I'm truly sorry for pirating (and not just for this promotion). I'm a bad person and don't deserve a visual flair... :(
[sub]Not that I have a 360 anyway...[/sub]

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Hybridwolf said:
mad825 said:

YET!!

They said that they would never do Halo 2 for the PC and they did. Bungie is famous for saying no and then saying yes.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Well that's . . . really disappointing. I even have a Halo: CE save file on my 360, and the disk is right beside me now as I type this.

I mean, it's nice of them to appreciated their long-time fans and all, but wasn't it the console fans that made it such a success? Why not find a way to celebrate all your long time supporters.

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
I'm starting to see a trend here: most of the people that have halo on PC don't have a 360 and are thus unable to take advantage of this offer, and most of the people that are going to get reach got halo for the original xbox and are also unable to take part in this offer...
Bungie didn't think this through very well...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Oh great, I have the Xbox 360 version. The one you can download off XBLA.

aldowyn

Mar 1, 2010
Good thing I've used the multiplayer, then. I mostly got it just for the story after I got Halo 3 a year or so ago.

An extra I can actually get easily... amazing!

@Armageddon74400 They're doing the best they can... and they wouldn't be able to use it with Reach if they didn't have a 360 anyway, now would they?

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
I think that I still have my Halo CE for the PC laying around somewhere...

imgunagitusucka

Apr 20, 2010
Òf course they can verify if a 360 console has halo c.e. game saves on it, it's obviously too much trouble to be bothered to do it.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Digikid said:
Hybridwolf said:
mad825 said:

YET!!

They said that they would never do Halo 2 for the PC and they did. Bungie is famous for saying no and then saying yes.
Bungie didn't port Halo 2 to the PC. A smaller internal Microsoft studio ported it. That's not to say they had nothing to do with it, but very little.

Now I'm pissed though that I downloaded the original to the 360. If I would have went to the store and bought a PC copy, I could've gotten it. And I don't believe for a minute that Bungie has no way of verifying games any other way.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
So, you have to have Halo on PC and the rest of the Halo series on X-Box/X-Box 360?

This will be fun to watch.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Way to support the PC community Bungie, I mean they won't make the other Halo's for the PC, yet they "apparently" do!

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Damn you to hell Bungie! Just because I couldnt buy the PC version, you screw me over like this!

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Khaiseri said:
Way to support the PC community Bungie, I mean they won't make the other Halo's for the PC, yet they "apparently" do!
I love it. After being deserted by them only 2 parts of the story in, they reward us "most probably non-console-owners" with a bit that only works for a game we will never own.

How sadistic, it seems like Activision bought them for a reason and this is their initiation rite.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Hybridwolf said:
Getting sick to death of this exclusivity. So to get all the armor, one would have to buy the legendry edition, have a copy of Halo activated on the PC, not the xbox, what next? People who played marathon can get-

They said in the article that its not armor, just "visual flair". Probably a little icon next to your name in matchmaking or something like they did with people who linked their Xbox live account to their Bungie community accounts.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Darktau said:
Assassin Xaero said:
You totally want to give me your key? :) (If your ok with that ofc :) )

I would totally get CE, because I have been wanting to get it, but i cba if the code won't work, I like my cake with some icing ontop.
You can probably have it... I'm not going to be using it... lol
Now just to find it... >_>

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Is it sad that I own 2 keys for Halo CE? Does that mean I can redeem it twice?!

I'll probably just give the other key to my friend Blake

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
What? So those of us who actually have been supporting the series since the beginning (the Xbox version was obviously released first) get nothing? How nice of them...

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
...Wolfson clarified on the Bungie forums [http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=46755796&postRepeater1-p=1#46763276] that owners of a valid CD key for the game will receive a "small visual flair" in Halo: Reach....
"Small visual flair?" For people who were playing Halo from the very beginning? geeee, I wonder what it could be.....?

[small]It's a halo! They're going to get an actual halo for their characters in game!

......well, it's just a guess......[/small]

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
ummm crud. idk if I played online with my Halo PC copy. but oh well whatever

Sixties Spidey

Jan 24, 2008
Wow. Kind of a kick in the balls for someone who played, loved, and cherished the original game, yet HATED the PC version. At least have Halo 1 on the 360 on your play history or something. That's just bullshit.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Huh, almost makes me wish I hadnt lost my CD key for that game. Actually I take that back. I wish I hadnt lost the CD key just because Halo 1 was awesome.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Bungie has no way of detecting if players have the arguably more popular original Xbox version of the game, so console owners are out of luck.
Erm, how about if it's in your Recently Played list on your 360? If you sign in and play an original Xbox game, it's in your history. How is that hard to detect? The technology has been around since at least 1998.[footnote]If Psycho Mantis can do it, so can Bungie.[/footnote]

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
I don't have a 360, but maybe I can give my cd-key to my friend. Then he'll owe me....

[small]DUN[/small] DUN DUN!

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Amazingly, I have a copy of HALO for PC that I bought back when it first came out. My ex lost the disk, but the cover with the serial was at the bottom of a drawer. Wonder what they'll be giving to players that held on to their keys...

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Sounds kinda cool, tragically I have only bought the games on Xbox so I won't get the same recognition as those who bought it on PC.
Which is lame because as anyone on this site can attest I most certainly support the Halo series. Still I am kind of curious as to what the 'flair' will be but for the most part I can deal with Forge World and Firefight Versus and space combat so I don't think not having the Flair will bother me too much.

I mean I have the pre-ordered Legendary edition. By right I have a lot of stuff heading my way.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
So this seven year old coaster will now serve one of my friends a purpose? Lucky them.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
...Wolfson clarified on the Bungie forums [http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=46755796&postRepeater1-p=1#46763276] that owners of a valid CD key for the game will receive a "small visual flair" in Halo: Reach....
"Small visual flair?" For people who were playing Halo from the very beginning? geeee, I wonder what it could be.....?

[small]It's a halo! They're going to get an actual halo for their characters in game!

Maybe when you get killed you get a little beyonce singing Halo in the corner

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
This is pretty funny, PC gamers stopped caring about shitty Halo at 2, 1 if they were lucky and didn't buy 2. Anyway I have an unused key... That you button mashers can't have. XD

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Most big Halo fans nowadays did not even play Halo 1. Not first anyways. I did, but now I hate Halo. Ironic.

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
The ONE time I buy a console version of a game over the PC alternative and I get gypped out of a reward ten years later. I can't believe this...

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
If you played Halo on the 360 it would have made some saves, you can even see the 0/0 under your achievement list for the game. I don't see why Bungie can't use something similar to what Bioware used for Mass Effect 2 to give the console owners something.

I don't really care though. I've long since stopped caring about these comestic improvements Bungie and otehr devs give out, standard armor tends to look pretty good anyway.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
It had better be this unique Flair

[image src=http://stargamer1138.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/ric-flair-w01.jpg]

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Hybridwolf said:

Because exclusive flares that impact gameplay in almost no way whatsoever (The flame might actually render invisibility useless.) is completely unfair and worth bitching about. I don't see the problem. There is more than enough other options for your Spartan, or didn't you see the picture?

Of couse other options become avaliable the higher a rank you are.

-----
I do want to say though that the idea of being unable to find out who has a Xbox copy of Halo 1 dosen't seem that good of an excuse. When I played Halo 1 on my Xbox 360 it showed up on my games played list. Same for Halo 2. How hard is that?

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Tom Goldman said:
Bungie has no way of detecting if players have the arguably more popular original Xbox version of the game, so console owners are out of luck.
Bullshit. Do they not realize every Halo box has a unique UPC on it? You can write a program that makes you put the disc in the drive, too, to check if they actually have the game, or if they just used a key generator.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I have the original halo downloaded on my xbox's hard drive...
Roboto said:
Khaiseri said:
I love it. After being deserted by them only 2 parts of the story in, they reward us "most probably non-console-owners" with a bit that only works for a game we will never own.

How sadistic, it seems like Activision bought them for a reason and this is their initiation rite.
A PC version of Halo: Reach is going to come out eventually.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Hybridwolf said:
I'm under the impression that Reach will belong to Microsoft, and it'll be up to them to release it on PC. Since Bungie aren't working with them anymore, I sadly think it'll be restricted to 360.
I thought that was true for the whole franchise? I was under the impression MS owned it, but Bungie made it.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Microsoft kept most of the publishing rights to Halo Series IP when Bungie separated. That is why the new IP from Bungie/Activision is not going to be Halo.

I don't see it hard to just create a thing that reads discs for the console, for those of us who have the whole collection.

DeASplode

Nov 26, 2009
I would so get this if my third 360 didn't RROD and totally put me off ever playing a 360 again.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Calhoun347 said:
I'm not even sure how I feel about this. On the one hand. Awesome, on the other, they completely abandoned the PC.

Every time I see "Abandoned us PC owners" my blood boils.

And this is for the PC, not the xbox. Your fine.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Wow that's nice, I've moved on from the halo series since i find it a little samey but Combat Evolved is still one of the finest FPS games ever made. Hell i still play it online quite often .I will be glad to give some of my freinds who will be buying the game my key to redeem this 'flair'. Bungie will hopefully move onto more interesting and better things now that Halo is finally out of the way and i wish them will with their ventures. Im not a fan of Halo anymore but they do still make high quality games that feel made with a real sense of pride and craft.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Yeah, I own a copy of the PC version, and I did play it online once or twice back when it was fairly new. I suppose that qualifies it for the Reach stuff?

*shrugs*

Well, I don't give a flying duck about Halo anyway. The first game was enough to turn me off from the franchise.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
Combat Evolved is still one of the finest FPS games ever made.
That's a dirty lie. It was sloppily put together with loads of nasty shortcuts taken to finish the campaign on time. All it had going for it was the weapon handling system, which has been replicated and improved a hundred times over in more recent shooters.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
I still have my old Halo 1 and 2 copys for xbox lying around, and I dont get anything >.>...

Ah well, probably nothing major, just somethign next to your gamer tag.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
JediMB said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
That's a dirty lie. It was sloppily put together with loads of nasty shortcuts taken to finish the campaign on time. All it had going for it was the weapon handling system, which has been replicated and improved a hundred times over in more recent shooters.
Wow way to be a downer, do you have to flame him for liking something?

OT: Well that sucks, I have 1&2 for xbox, why don't I get cool free things?

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Cody211282 said:
JediMB said:
Scrumpmonkey said:

You use the word "flame". I don't think you know what it means.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
JediMB said:
Cody211282 said:
JediMB said:
Scrumpmonkey said:

I only use it because trolling sounded a bit excessive.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
No one has asked these two very important questions:

What if you have enough 'flair' already?

and

Can you overdose on 'flair'?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Wait, the multiplayer on Halo 1 is still up and working... yet they had to turn Halo 2 multiplayer off for XBL. What is Microsoft's problem?

Strange how Microsoft treats their fans, Halo 1 came out on PC, Halo 2 came out much belated on PC and no sign of Halo 3 on PC at all. But then Bungie turn around and says "oh, we're goign to reward our greatest fans who've been following us since the early days on PC"

Well they aren't following any more!

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Cody211282 said:
JediMB said:
Cody211282 said:
JediMB said:
Scrumpmonkey said:

You should try "expressed an opinion". Perhaps with an added "in a jokingly crude manner". Disagreeing is allowed on the Internet, you know. Furthermore...

Flaming:
Attacking someone's person with insults and/or expletives.

Trolling:
Expressing a provocative idea one does not really believe in, simply to "stir shit up".

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
awwwww that is kinda sad its only for PC gamers. Maybe a bouns of flair for ODST owners? Or Halo Wars since REACH was referenced alot in that game?

Just ideas, just ideas.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
JediMB said:
Cody211282 said:
JediMB said:
Cody211282 said:
JediMB said:
Scrumpmonkey said:

You should try "expressed an opinion". Perhaps with an added "in a jokingly crude manner". Disagreeing is allowed on the Internet, you know. Furthermore...

Flaming:

Trolling:
Expressing a provocative idea one does not really believe in, simply to "stir shit up".
No you pretty much called him a liar for saying what he thought, that implies that your right, and since it's an opinion your not.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
So basically its saying "Thanks for being a PC gamer, but you can't enjoy this game because its on XBOX!"
Or maybe it's saying "Thanks for being open minded and not secluding yourself to a single platform because you like labeling yourself "PC Gamer" or "Console Gamer" exclusively."

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Cody211282 said:
JediMB said:
Cody211282 said:
JediMB said:
Cody211282 said:
JediMB said:
Scrumpmonkey said:

Flaming:

Trolling:
No you pretty much called him a liar for saying what he thought, that implies that your right, and since it's an opinion your not.
No, I didn't call him a liar. I said "that's a dirty lie". Does anyone actually say "dirty lie" and mean it? Super seriously?

Well, here's a translation for you: it means that I strongly disagree with what he said.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Shame on you people. I still have the Halo: CE for my 360. Which is the best one in the series, it's up for debate but I had major fun organizing secret LAN parties within High School.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
"No Pandalisk, dont buy it on PC, get it on console"

Ha, you see, i planned this from the start when i purchased it for PC all those years ago, now, Where's that CD-key?

Knight of Cydonia

Sep 22, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:

Maybe a little flare on there head?

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Thanks so much for ignoring your Xbox supporters Bungie. Cheers.
I have played every single one of the Halo series (even the awful Halo 2) on an Xbox.

Honestly, I don't know any PC gamers who have Halo for that format, in fact, the ones I do have Xboxes...

Again, woo, great.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
I own a 360 and the original PC version, but I don't think it's ever been online to validate the code. Which that, should be a bigger crime. They took what could be a pretty big section of their players and excluded half by saying only original game owners(which i'm more in favor of than against), then half by forcing only PC, then half by only ones who played the original online.

I can see the good intentions, and theres not much more they can probably do, but it's like trying to take care of a stray dog by releasing another. It's not going to work, and if it happens to be the opposite sex, then you just made more problems in the future.

Bigger opinion on these kinds of rewards:
Bluntly, this reward system is a very good idea. It's an excellent idea to reward players with something for being with you for a longer while. While it does leave someone who may have just missed it accidentally to begin with, you must understand life isn't fair and just because you haven't been playing the series doesn't mean i want to give up my little treat.

It's a system more companies should introduce. They've done it with the Battlefield Veterans system(or whatever it's called). I'm not sure what the rewards are in each game, but i do think it's pretty much across the board, in terms of existence. And just to name another, i remember from E3 some companies announcement of "The Gun Club", I'm not if technically that qualifies, but it's a good idea with good intentions

As with the Battlefield system, and probably with this halo one, The reward doesn't have to be the new equivalent of the BFG-9000. It can be different armor(not the best idea) or a new gun, or something, as long as it's cool and doesn't break the game, as-in, it better be useful, while not being game-breaking.

Like I said, It's a good idea and should be implemented in as many series as possible, if done correctly!

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Darkness62 said:
This is pretty funny, PC gamers stopped caring about shitty Halo at 2, 1 if they were lucky and didn't buy 2. Anyway I have an unused key... That you button mashers can't have. XD
I bought Halo 1 and 2 on PC and I can safely say that Halo 2 didn't work, it was jumpy at the best of times and that was using a superb PC, shame really as Halo CE was fantastic in a much higher resolution.

Would you mind sharing your PC key with someone, its not nice that your keeping it without using it, unless your lying to get attention. Of course no one can force you too, but being nice to your fellow man is well... nice!.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
JediMB said:
Cody211282 said:
JediMB said:
Scrumpmonkey said:

Well you used the word "Sloppy" and "Nasty Shortcuts" and im not sure you gave any grap what that means. I can replay Halo CE's campaign even today and still enjoy it, it's well paced, competently done, great fun and has an amazing climax. The world "Sloppy" used to describe the first Halo on the PC is a 'Dirty lie'.

I think it's proabaly one of the tighest and most well polished games from that generation and it had so many high points from just riding arround in the warthog (still one of the most fun vehicles in a game to date) to the tigh corridor battles of the pilar of autum. I don't think anyone who played the game either at the time or since (it's actually aged very well unlike some other games i love) can agrue that it is anything short of a great shooter.

It's a well regarded and universally praised game for a reason, it's bloody good!

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Hybridwolf said:

NOOOO! Please bungie, don't make me play marathon!

I do agree about such high amounts of exclusivity. Giving some gamers "early" bonuses is fine, but when you make them absolute permanent bonuses it can make the completionist gamers who can't really afford all that bungie are asking for to get all the exclusives quite angry. Especially considering that after a while, special editions inevitably become hard to find new, so waiting longer to get enough money for special editions becomes a difficcult option.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
whaleswiththumbs said:
Assassin Xaero said:
I own a 360 and the original PC version, but I don't think it's ever been online to validate the code. Which that, should be a bigger crime. They took what could be a pretty big section of their players and excluded half by saying only original game owners(which i'm more in favor of than against), then half by forcing only PC, then half by only ones who played the original online.

I can see the good intentions, and theres not much more they can probably do, but it's like trying to take care of a stray dog by releasing another. It's not going to work, and if it happens to be the opposite sex, then you just made more problems in the future.

Bigger opinion on these kinds of rewards:
Bluntly, this reward system is a very good idea. It's an excellent idea to reward players with something for being with you for a longer while. While it does leave someone who may have just missed it accidentally to begin with, you must understand life isn't fair and just because you haven't been playing the series doesn't mean i want to give up my little treat.

It's a system more companies should introduce. They've done it with the Battlefield Veterans system(or whatever it's called). I'm not sure what the rewards are in each game, but i do think it's pretty much across the board, in terms of existence. And just to name another, i remember from E3 some companies announcement of "The Gun Club", I'm not if technically that qualifies, but it's a good idea with good intentions

As with the Battlefield system, and probably with this halo one, The reward doesn't have to be the new equivalent of the BFG-9000. It can be different armor(not the best idea) or a new gun, or something, as long as it's cool and doesn't break the game, as-in, it better be useful, while not being game-breaking.

Like I said, It's a good idea and should be implemented in as many series as possible, if done correctly!
Yeah, it really seems like many of the actual fans of the series will be able to get it... But it will probably just be some equivalent to the hats in TF2...

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Calhoun347 said:

But this flair for owning the first Halo is exclusively for PC gamers...

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
Wow that's nice, I've moved on from the halo series since i find it a little samey but Combat Evolved is still one of the finest FPS games ever made.
Personally, I disagree. It, kinda by default, is the worst game I've ever played purely because of the Library level. It was the first and only time (so far) that I've just stopped, said "this is stupid" and quit playing it all together. Dragon Age is next, but I've actually decided to suffer through that one to see the end...

Another reason why I dislike Halo just formed recently after playing NecroVision. It reminded me of how FPS games use to be: not seriously, any gun you came across you kept instead of only having 2-3 weapons at a time, bosses that had health bars, and, most of all, the pure awesomeness of how you can carry two insanely huge machine guns at once. Ever since Halo, most FPS games changed into carrying limited weapons, and all that other stuff that has infected Call of Duty, Halo, etc.

Anyway, just personal preference I guess...

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Wow that's nice, I've moved on from the halo series since i find it a little samey but Combat Evolved is still one of the finest FPS games ever made.
Personally, I disagree. It, kinda by default, is the worst game I've ever played purely because of the Library level. It was the first and only time (so far) that I've just stopped, said "this is stupid" and quit playing it all together. Dragon Age is next, but I've actually decided to suffer through that one to see the end...

Another reason why I dislike Halo just formed recently after playing NecroVision. It reminded me of how FPS games use to be: not seriously, any gun you came across you kept instead of only having 2-3 weapons at a time, bosses that had health bars, and, most of all, the pure awesomeness of how you can carry two insanely huge machine guns at once. Ever since Halo, most FPS games changed into carrying limited weapons, and all that other stuff that has infected Call of Duty, Halo, etc.

I used to absolutely LOATHE the library level in Halo:CE. It was long, repetative and frustrating. But now I have played every Halo game multiple times, I have come to find a love of that level that I never thought I would. It's actually quite a challenge and very much a zombie survival sort of level. The limited weapons thing means you really have to plan which weapons you want to use. Is it worth swapping a worse gun because it actually has some ammo or waiting it out to find ammo for the better, but empty, gun you already have.

It may take more time for me to love the Cortana level in Halo 3 though...

OT: This whole "flair" thing is really confusing. Reach is only out on the 360 and yet PC gamers get the extra little bit of content. WTF? I'm not saying PC gamers don't deserve it, but what's the chance of Reach players having Halo on PC when they own an Xbox 360?

This is going to be availiable to so few people that they might as well have put this flair in the game by default. I'm fed up with all this excuslive content crap that's running around these days. Damn it, if you're playing Reach, chances are you know if you like halo or not and you'll probably be a fan in some way or another. Just reward us all, Bungie you fools!

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
JediMB said:
Cody211282 said:
JediMB said:
Scrumpmonkey said:

Well you used the word "Sloppy" and "Nasty Shortcuts" and im not sure you gave any grap what that means. I can replay Halo CE's campaign even today and still enjoy it, it's well paced, competently done, great fun and has an amazing climax. The world "Sloppy" used to describe the first Halo on the PC is a 'Dirty lie'.

I think it's proabaly one of the tighest and most well polished games from that generation and it had so many high points from just riding arround in the warthog (still one of the most fun vehicles in a game to date) to the tigh corridor battles of the pilar of autum. I don't think anyone who played the game either at the time or since (it's actually aged very well unlike some other games i love) can agrue that it is anything short of a great shooter.

It's a well regarded and universally praised game for a reason, it's bloody good!
Bungie have admitted that they cut content and features after the game was moved from PC to Xbox, due to time constraints imposed by Microsoft. Later, when the game was ported back over to PC by Gearbox, none of the missing features were re-implemented (except for an additional vehicle in deathmatch), and yet more features (such as bumpmapping and co-op) were cut because they couldn't get them working... and lastly the game suffered from very poor performance due to the overall shoddy porting.

Furthermore, in order to keep the deadline set by Microsoft, Bungie started cutting and pasting large portions of their content to save time. Enemy meshes were reused, with only their colors and stats changed, and huge sections of the levels were just the same rooms and corridors repeating over and over. These are the kinds of shortcuts that were acceptable in the 80's, with games such as the original Metroid, but not today and not nine years ago.

PseudoDuck

Bacon Robot
Oct 18, 2009
Lot of frustration in this thread. Calm down, people.

How would they tell who had played the game on the original Xbox? It wasn't Live enabled or anything. This seems like the only realistic way they can "reward" people who have been with the franchise from the start. For the record, I still have my copy of Halo PC which I only bought so that I could play Halo online (badly, might I add).

Also, people are acting as if the reward is going to be a full set of armour or something. I'll tell you what it'll be: It'll be something akin to the little symbol you get next to your name when you link your Gamertag to bungie.net.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Proverbial Jon said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Scrumpmonkey said:

I used to absolutely LOATHE the library level in Halo:CE. It was long, repetative and frustrating. But now I have played every Halo game multiple times, I have come to find a love of that level that I never thought I would. It's actually quite a challenge and very much a zombie survival sort of level. The limited weapons thing means you really have to plan which weapons you want to use. Is it worth swapping a worse gun because it actually has some ammo or waiting it out to find ammo for the better, but empty, gun you already have.

It may take more time for me to love the Cortana level in Halo 3 though...

OT: This whole "flair" thing is really confusing. Reach is only out on the 360 and yet PC gamers get the extra little bit of content. WTF? I'm not saying PC gamers don't deserve it, but what's the chance of Reach players having Halo on PC when they own an Xbox 360?

This is going to be availiable to so few people that they might as well have put this flair in the game by default. I'm fed up with all this excuslive content crap that's running around these days. Damn it, if you're playing Reach, chances are you know if you like halo or not and you'll probably be a fan in some way or another. Just reward us all, Bungie you fools!
I do understand why it is only for the PC version, because of the whole thing with the CD key and no way to determine if people actually owned it on Xbox or not. But you'd think with LIVE they would have some way to check or something where your account knows you have the game? I've only used GFWL, so I don't know about LIVE, but on GFWL it does know what GFWL games I do have (installed or not).

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Wow Bungie actually acknowledges it ported CE to PC?

Well this is nice news for me anyway = D

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Silver Patriot said:
Yes, it's nothing major, and there is a large amount of options for your character, thats true. But wait a min, because I never decided to get a second copy of halo, for my PC, I'm getting penalised, because bunige are too lazy to check if you've played halo on the xbox? I know you've already raised this point, but considering I raised it eariler, I get the impression you just skimmed my post and assumed that I'm complaining about the armor. If you want to spend that much on a legendry edtion, so snipers have an easier time, fine by me. But If I have a copy of Halo on the Xbox, and I'm being told to piss off, whilst some PC gamer who picked it up cheap in a bargin bin, and has no intention of getting reach, is given a gift for his "loyalty", then bungie are morons.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
I do understand why it is only for the PC version, because of the whole thing with the CD key and no way to determine if people actually owned it on Xbox or not. But you'd think with LIVE they would have some way to check or something where your account knows you have the game? I've only used GFWL, so I don't know about LIVE, but on GFWL it does know what GFWL games I do have (installed or not).
Well yes, I can see why they are doing it. But my achivements list displays the games I have played on the 360, even the original games show up despite not having any achievemts attached to it. I have save files in my profile for Halo 1 and 2. Could the game not be programed to detect these? I mean even the PS1 could detect which games you had played (Metal Gear Solid) and the PS2 could read the memory card to give you little extra pieces of info (Silent Hill 3 detecting Silent Hill 2 saves). Obviously I'm no programmer so I don't know how it would work, but surely it isn't impossible?

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
I still have the game, but I lost the box and the CD key so I guess I'm out of luck lol

EDIT: Actually, I have the box, the manual, and the game, just not the CD Key. My luck huh lol

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
I'd have to say that's really kicking Xbox players in the balls, considering they're the fans that always supported Halo, and made it the juggernaut it is today.

Besides, what would be so hard about doing Halo Reach on the xbox? Couldn't they theoretically make an authentication program using a serial code from the game box? Or even just check to see if you've ever played Halo CE on your xbox or xbox 360?

I mean, I'm not a huge tech person, but that seems pretty feasible.

Not So Tuesday

Aug 16, 2009
Hybridwolf said:

No keep going, I'm 3 for 3 :D

Apr 28, 2008
Awesome. Still have the PC game and I play the custom edition quite often.

Bring on Reach!

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
That's retarded. They narrowed down the community so much. What about this: People who have purchased Halo: Combat Evolved on the XBLA? All that data is at hand, c'mon.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Hybridwolf said:
Silver Patriot said:
Yes, it's nothing major, and there is a large amount of options for your character, thats true. But wait a min, because I never decided to get a second copy of halo, for my PC, I'm getting penalised, because bunige are too lazy to check if you've played halo on the xbox? I know you've already raised this point, but considering I raised it earlier, I get the impression you just skimmed my post and assumed that I'm complaining about the armor. If you want to spend that much on a legendary edition, so snipers have an easier time, fine by me. But If I have a copy of Halo on the Xbox, and I'm being told to piss off, whilst some PC gamer who picked it up cheap in a bargin bin, and has no intention of getting reach, is given a gift for his "loyalty", then Bungie are morons.
First, your post was two-three sentences and some fragments. I don't think in depth reading was required.

Second, I had a bit of a hard time assessing what was you main point in your previous post. (Which I will post here for simplicity.)

Hybridwolf said:
Getting sick to death of this exclusivity. So to get all the armor, one would have to buy the legendary edition, have a copy of Halo activated on the PC, not the xbox, what next? People who played marathon can get-

From what I read here I came across three possible interpretations.

A. You were mad that this exclusive "flair" could give one an unfair advantage in matchmaking.

B. You were mad you couldn't "complete" the game so to speak.

C. You didn't want a bunch of ****** running around going "look how cool I am with my recon hayabusa super awesome flaming head" or whatever while you had about 5 options.

I wanted to make it immediately clear the armor had no impact on gameplay what so ever. I also wanted to point out that the variety of options makes point C less of a problem.

What I didn't address however was point B. It should be pointed out that there is a "completed" bar somewhere. However it doesn't account exclusive items like this one or the Legendary helmet.

I also want to make a few additional points.

1. "Exclusive" items are not new or do I think they are bad. Lets look at TF2's hats for example. Some of those items will never be available again or only belong to a certain group {*Cough* Ear Buds *Cough*) but no one complains. It just means they are "representing" their group.

2. Do I like that Bungie is leaving the Xbox players without anything. No, no I don't. But is their really a way for then to check? PC's have keys. You need them to play (most) games. Consoles don't. Games can be switched, traded, reused , whatever as long as you have the disk. Bungie had a cut-off date for the keys usable. They can't do that with a Xbox, can they check the non existent Halo Xbox Live states because Halo 1 didn't have Xbox Live. Also adding to the confusion is the Halo 1 being available on the marketplace. It is just not doable in a way that would only benefit old Halo 1 players.

2a. That being said I remember hearing (and please don't quote me on this) that people that played Halo 2 on Xbox Live during its run will also have access to a "flair" of their own. This makes sense to me seeing as how all of those stats are kept on Bungie.net. (Well except for some of the earliest matches. They got "purged")

[Edit]

Bungie Weekly Update: 02.12.10 [http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?cid=24791]
Bungie Weekly Update: 04.23.10 [http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?cid=25798]

Found it. If you EVER played Halo 2 multiplayer you get a flair too. You can stop being angry now. If you never played Halo 2 multiplayer on Xbox Live, what makes you think you should get a multiplayer flair for Halo: Reach?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I still don't regret my decision for selling Halo PC. Am I the only sane person here who doesn't care even a bit (aka: doesn't give a shit) for Halo Reach?

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
I still don't regret my decision for selling Halo PC. Am I the only sane person here who doesn't care even a bit (aka: doesn't give a shit) for Halo Reach?
I have a 360, but I don't use it exclusively and I refuse to pay for live, so that cuts down a lot of my interest in the game right there. While I like the direction that it seems to be taking, 2 and 3 made me drop any expectations for the franchise. I'm not saying it won't be a good game, but by now I'm Halo'd out.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
that's pretty awesome. i love how bungie just sorta gives out shit. hopefully that carries on to their next franchise, been missing the halo band wagon.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
ColdStorage said:
I bought Halo 1 and 2 on PC and I can safely say that Halo 2 didn't work, it was jumpy at the best of times and that was using a superb PC, shame really as Halo CE was fantastic in a much higher resolution.

Would you mind sharing your PC key with someone, its not nice that your keeping it without using it, unless your lying to get attention. Of course no one can force you too, but being nice to your fellow man is well... nice!.
Are you really that stupid? but here is my key for the first to use it.

FUHQ-D133-A555-H0L3

Perhaps you should check out a EULA sometime? Also of course I have it, how else would I know it is a mediocre, generic, dumbed down FPS?

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Darkness62 said:
ColdStorage said:

Perhaps you should check out a EULA sometime? Also of course I have it, how else would I know it is a mediocre, generic, dumbed down FPS?
I meant more give it to a friend, most publishers don't like CD keys being put on the internet.

I actually had 3 copies of Halo on the PC but I can't find the disc's, my nephew must have nicked them to trade the sod.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
Hybridwolf said:
mad825 said:

halo isnt owned by bungie, so no them working for activision will have zero affect on it coming to pc. IF Microsoft wants it it will, if the big M dont want it, it wont

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
ColdStorage said:
I meant more give it to a friend, most publishers don't like CD keys being put on the internet.
Hmmm, actually a good idea, I have one friend that is a Halo fan....

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Well, no love for the people who made it huge in the first place, huh?

No qualm with the PC version, I likes me the PC. I'm just saying, Halo:CE didn't revolutionize PC FPS.

Oh well. Does the Windows Live Halo 2 version work?

No?

Damn.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Hybridwolf said:
mad825 said:

In my opinion, the PC version was a pretty garbage port. I love the mouse more than the controller, but we're talking optimization here. Something was very, very wrong with this game. I played it several years after its release on a very powerful gaming PC which can push Crysis around, and Halo still ran and looked really crappy.

Anyways, this is just a really weird move by Bungie. If someone is a PC gamer what are the odds they own a console? Obviously there are people like me who own a gaming PC and a console (I own all of them actually!) but still not everyone does. Secondly, a more importantly, how many console owners bought Halo on the PC? I can't imagine very many.

It's just such a weird split and while I totally admit there are people out there who play everything, but ... I dunno, it's just weird.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
This pisses off 2 types of gamers.
1) The PC gamers cause halo ain't coming to it.
2)The console gamers because they got the halo game on the console.

This was a terrible idea.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
Warped_Ghost said:
This pisses off 2 types of gamers.
1) The PC gamers cause halo ain't coming to it.
2)The console gamers because they got the halo game on the console.

This was a terrible idea.
The sad thing is I have both copies and I have not played halo 1 for years because my "loyalty" went to buying and playing the sequels.

Harkonnen64

Jul 14, 2010
I have my original copy I bought 2 years after it was released sitting in front of me right now! Too bad I'm not buying Reach right now, going to college, which means I'll be squeezing for cash like its Fred Phelp's neck.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
mad825 said:

No they're just being assholes.

rileyrulesu

Jun 15, 2009
hollllllllyyyyyyy crap. as SOON as i finished reading this i had 1 thought, "i wonder where my cd case is is, i'll never find it", before it FELL ON MY FOOT. it's an omen. i am creeped out.

bloodshed113094

Jul 16, 2010
Holy shit this is awesome. I have 2 copy's of the game so me and a friend can get it if my dad doesn't mind.

bloodshed113094

Jul 16, 2010
It makes sense because halo combat evolved came out for the pc with so much more than halo for the x box multiplayer wise. now stop whining that halo ditched the pc. it makes sense to stop making it for the pc because so few people have money for a new pc that they buy a 360 instead because it doesn't have to hold all the shit a pc does. if they had pc versions of every halo game, it would be stupid, because a good 3/4 of them wouldnt be bought and would mean a bad outcome. plus, you would probobly have to have the full version of windows 7 so you would be up the river without a paddle.

bloodshed113094

Jul 16, 2010
one last thing about this. This bitching is pointless. I got my 2nd copy of halo a year ago used. seriously they literally were at walmart just a couple months back and they don't sell for more than 20 bucks on ebay... for now. stop the yapping and if you realy want it go get a copy off ebay before the prices jump

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
Darkness62 said:
ColdStorage said:

FUHQ-D133-A555-H0L3

Your CD key amuses me, I applaud your ingenuity.
Also I wonder why no one else picked up on it...

Kyuubi Fanatic

Insane Fanboy
Feb 22, 2010
Whaaa? The last time I played Halo CE on my pc was back in 2007. I didn't have an xbox or anything back then, and got my 360 in 2008. How the hell is bungie gonna know if I qualify or not?

I'm not really concerned if I get some unidentified piece of potentially unnoticeable flair, but I can't fathom what system they would use to find out. I would assume via the bungie forums, but I wasn't aware you could register Halo CE on it so...

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
At first was going to go off about how this is lame because I have been a Halo fan since 2002. Then I realized that I am not a Halo fan for stupid little stuff like this, but for the gameplay. Not a big deal now that I think of it that way. It will be hilarious to see people getting furious about this though.

I thought that Gearbox were the ones who ported Halo to PC though? I have played it before and Gearbox always flashes up there. The only way I think Bungie was involved with the port was by a company made up of former Bungie employee's made some maps for it. I could be mistaken though.