Owning Halo Provides Unique "Flair" in Halo: Reach

Knight of Cydonia

Sep 22, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
...Wolfson clarified on the Bungie forums [http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=46755796&postRepeater1-p=1#46763276] that owners of a valid CD key for the game will receive a "small visual flair" in Halo: Reach....
"Small visual flair?" For people who were playing Halo from the very beginning? geeee, I wonder what it could be.....?

[small]It's a halo! They're going to get an actual halo for their characters in game!

......well, it's just a guess......[/small]
Maybe a little flare on there head?

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Thanks so much for ignoring your Xbox supporters Bungie. Cheers.
I have played every single one of the Halo series (even the awful Halo 2) on an Xbox.

Honestly, I don't know any PC gamers who have Halo for that format, in fact, the ones I do have Xboxes...

Again, woo, great.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
Hmm... I have the game on PC, pretty sure the key is registered since I have played it online, but I don't really care for Halo anymore and don't even own a 360... >_>
I own a 360 and the original PC version, but I don't think it's ever been online to validate the code. Which that, should be a bigger crime. They took what could be a pretty big section of their players and excluded half by saying only original game owners(which i'm more in favor of than against), then half by forcing only PC, then half by only ones who played the original online.

I can see the good intentions, and theres not much more they can probably do, but it's like trying to take care of a stray dog by releasing another. It's not going to work, and if it happens to be the opposite sex, then you just made more problems in the future.

Bigger opinion on these kinds of rewards:
Bluntly, this reward system is a very good idea. It's an excellent idea to reward players with something for being with you for a longer while. While it does leave someone who may have just missed it accidentally to begin with, you must understand life isn't fair and just because you haven't been playing the series doesn't mean i want to give up my little treat.

It's a system more companies should introduce. They've done it with the Battlefield Veterans system(or whatever it's called). I'm not sure what the rewards are in each game, but i do think it's pretty much across the board, in terms of existence. And just to name another, i remember from E3 some companies announcement of "The Gun Club", I'm not if technically that qualifies, but it's a good idea with good intentions

As with the Battlefield system, and probably with this halo one, The reward doesn't have to be the new equivalent of the BFG-9000. It can be different armor(not the best idea) or a new gun, or something, as long as it's cool and doesn't break the game, as-in, it better be useful, while not being game-breaking.

Like I said, It's a good idea and should be implemented in as many series as possible, if done correctly!

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Darkness62 said:
This is pretty funny, PC gamers stopped caring about shitty Halo at 2, 1 if they were lucky and didn't buy 2. Anyway I have an unused key... That you button mashers can't have. XD
I bought Halo 1 and 2 on PC and I can safely say that Halo 2 didn't work, it was jumpy at the best of times and that was using a superb PC, shame really as Halo CE was fantastic in a much higher resolution.

Would you mind sharing your PC key with someone, its not nice that your keeping it without using it, unless your lying to get attention. Of course no one can force you too, but being nice to your fellow man is well... nice!.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Hybridwolf said:
Getting sick to death of this exclusivity. So to get all the armor, one would have to buy the legendry edition, have a copy of Halo activated on the PC, not the xbox, what next? People who played marathon can get-

Better stop there. At the rate bungies going at...
NOOOO! Please bungie, don't make me play marathon!

I do agree about such high amounts of exclusivity. Giving some gamers "early" bonuses is fine, but when you make them absolute permanent bonuses it can make the completionist gamers who can't really afford all that bungie are asking for to get all the exclusives quite angry. Especially considering that after a while, special editions inevitably become hard to find new, so waiting longer to get enough money for special editions becomes a difficcult option.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
whaleswiththumbs said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Hmm... I have the game on PC, pretty sure the key is registered since I have played it online, but I don't really care for Halo anymore and don't even own a 360... >_>
I own a 360 and the original PC version, but I don't think it's ever been online to validate the code. Which that, should be a bigger crime. They took what could be a pretty big section of their players and excluded half by saying only original game owners(which i'm more in favor of than against), then half by forcing only PC, then half by only ones who played the original online.

I can see the good intentions, and theres not much more they can probably do, but it's like trying to take care of a stray dog by releasing another. It's not going to work, and if it happens to be the opposite sex, then you just made more problems in the future.

Bigger opinion on these kinds of rewards:
Bluntly, this reward system is a very good idea. It's an excellent idea to reward players with something for being with you for a longer while. While it does leave someone who may have just missed it accidentally to begin with, you must understand life isn't fair and just because you haven't been playing the series doesn't mean i want to give up my little treat.

It's a system more companies should introduce. They've done it with the Battlefield Veterans system(or whatever it's called). I'm not sure what the rewards are in each game, but i do think it's pretty much across the board, in terms of existence. And just to name another, i remember from E3 some companies announcement of "The Gun Club", I'm not if technically that qualifies, but it's a good idea with good intentions

As with the Battlefield system, and probably with this halo one, The reward doesn't have to be the new equivalent of the BFG-9000. It can be different armor(not the best idea) or a new gun, or something, as long as it's cool and doesn't break the game, as-in, it better be useful, while not being game-breaking.

Like I said, It's a good idea and should be implemented in as many series as possible, if done correctly!
Yeah, it really seems like many of the actual fans of the series will be able to get it... But it will probably just be some equivalent to the hats in TF2...

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Calhoun347 said:
I'm not even sure how I feel about this. On the one hand. Awesome, on the other, they completely abandoned the PC.

It almost seems a slap in the face to us PC gamers.
But this flair for owning the first Halo is exclusively for PC gamers...

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
Wow that's nice, I've moved on from the halo series since i find it a little samey but Combat Evolved is still one of the finest FPS games ever made.
Personally, I disagree. It, kinda by default, is the worst game I've ever played purely because of the Library level. It was the first and only time (so far) that I've just stopped, said "this is stupid" and quit playing it all together. Dragon Age is next, but I've actually decided to suffer through that one to see the end...

Another reason why I dislike Halo just formed recently after playing NecroVision. It reminded me of how FPS games use to be: not seriously, any gun you came across you kept instead of only having 2-3 weapons at a time, bosses that had health bars, and, most of all, the pure awesomeness of how you can carry two insanely huge machine guns at once. Ever since Halo, most FPS games changed into carrying limited weapons, and all that other stuff that has infected Call of Duty, Halo, etc.

Anyway, just personal preference I guess...

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Wow that's nice, I've moved on from the halo series since i find it a little samey but Combat Evolved is still one of the finest FPS games ever made.
Personally, I disagree. It, kinda by default, is the worst game I've ever played purely because of the Library level. It was the first and only time (so far) that I've just stopped, said "this is stupid" and quit playing it all together. Dragon Age is next, but I've actually decided to suffer through that one to see the end...

Another reason why I dislike Halo just formed recently after playing NecroVision. It reminded me of how FPS games use to be: not seriously, any gun you came across you kept instead of only having 2-3 weapons at a time, bosses that had health bars, and, most of all, the pure awesomeness of how you can carry two insanely huge machine guns at once. Ever since Halo, most FPS games changed into carrying limited weapons, and all that other stuff that has infected Call of Duty, Halo, etc.

I used to absolutely LOATHE the library level in Halo:CE. It was long, repetative and frustrating. But now I have played every Halo game multiple times, I have come to find a love of that level that I never thought I would. It's actually quite a challenge and very much a zombie survival sort of level. The limited weapons thing means you really have to plan which weapons you want to use. Is it worth swapping a worse gun because it actually has some ammo or waiting it out to find ammo for the better, but empty, gun you already have.

It may take more time for me to love the Cortana level in Halo 3 though...

OT: This whole "flair" thing is really confusing. Reach is only out on the 360 and yet PC gamers get the extra little bit of content. WTF? I'm not saying PC gamers don't deserve it, but what's the chance of Reach players having Halo on PC when they own an Xbox 360?

This is going to be availiable to so few people that they might as well have put this flair in the game by default. I'm fed up with all this excuslive content crap that's running around these days. Damn it, if you're playing Reach, chances are you know if you like halo or not and you'll probably be a fan in some way or another. Just reward us all, Bungie you fools!

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
JediMB said:
Cody211282 said:
JediMB said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Combat Evolved is still one of the finest FPS games ever made.
That's a dirty lie. It was sloppily put together with loads of nasty shortcuts taken to finish the campaign on time. All it had going for it was the weapon handling system, which has been replicated and improved a hundred times over in more recent shooters.
Wow way to be a downer, do you have to flame him for liking something?

OT: Well that sucks, I have 1&2 for xbox, why don't I get cool free things?
You use the word "flame". I don't think you know what it means.
Well you used the word "Sloppy" and "Nasty Shortcuts" and im not sure you gave any grap what that means. I can replay Halo CE's campaign even today and still enjoy it, it's well paced, competently done, great fun and has an amazing climax. The world "Sloppy" used to describe the first Halo on the PC is a 'Dirty lie'.

I think it's proabaly one of the tighest and most well polished games from that generation and it had so many high points from just riding arround in the warthog (still one of the most fun vehicles in a game to date) to the tigh corridor battles of the pilar of autum. I don't think anyone who played the game either at the time or since (it's actually aged very well unlike some other games i love) can agrue that it is anything short of a great shooter.

It's a well regarded and universally praised game for a reason, it's bloody good!
Bungie have admitted that they cut content and features after the game was moved from PC to Xbox, due to time constraints imposed by Microsoft. Later, when the game was ported back over to PC by Gearbox, none of the missing features were re-implemented (except for an additional vehicle in deathmatch), and yet more features (such as bumpmapping and co-op) were cut because they couldn't get them working... and lastly the game suffered from very poor performance due to the overall shoddy porting.

Furthermore, in order to keep the deadline set by Microsoft, Bungie started cutting and pasting large portions of their content to save time. Enemy meshes were reused, with only their colors and stats changed, and huge sections of the levels were just the same rooms and corridors repeating over and over. These are the kinds of shortcuts that were acceptable in the 80's, with games such as the original Metroid, but not today and not nine years ago.

PseudoDuck

Bacon Robot
Oct 18, 2009
Lot of frustration in this thread. Calm down, people.

How would they tell who had played the game on the original Xbox? It wasn't Live enabled or anything. This seems like the only realistic way they can "reward" people who have been with the franchise from the start. For the record, I still have my copy of Halo PC which I only bought so that I could play Halo online (badly, might I add).

Also, people are acting as if the reward is going to be a full set of armour or something. I'll tell you what it'll be: It'll be something akin to the little symbol you get next to your name when you link your Gamertag to bungie.net.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Proverbial Jon said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Scrumpmonkey said:

I used to absolutely LOATHE the library level in Halo:CE. It was long, repetative and frustrating. But now I have played every Halo game multiple times, I have come to find a love of that level that I never thought I would. It's actually quite a challenge and very much a zombie survival sort of level. The limited weapons thing means you really have to plan which weapons you want to use. Is it worth swapping a worse gun because it actually has some ammo or waiting it out to find ammo for the better, but empty, gun you already have.

It may take more time for me to love the Cortana level in Halo 3 though...

OT: This whole "flair" thing is really confusing. Reach is only out on the 360 and yet PC gamers get the extra little bit of content. WTF? I'm not saying PC gamers don't deserve it, but what's the chance of Reach players having Halo on PC when they own an Xbox 360?

This is going to be availiable to so few people that they might as well have put this flair in the game by default. I'm fed up with all this excuslive content crap that's running around these days. Damn it, if you're playing Reach, chances are you know if you like halo or not and you'll probably be a fan in some way or another. Just reward us all, Bungie you fools!
I do understand why it is only for the PC version, because of the whole thing with the CD key and no way to determine if people actually owned it on Xbox or not. But you'd think with LIVE they would have some way to check or something where your account knows you have the game? I've only used GFWL, so I don't know about LIVE, but on GFWL it does know what GFWL games I do have (installed or not).

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Wow Bungie actually acknowledges it ported CE to PC?

Well this is nice news for me anyway = D

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Silver Patriot said:
Yes, it's nothing major, and there is a large amount of options for your character, thats true. But wait a min, because I never decided to get a second copy of halo, for my PC, I'm getting penalised, because bunige are too lazy to check if you've played halo on the xbox? I know you've already raised this point, but considering I raised it eariler, I get the impression you just skimmed my post and assumed that I'm complaining about the armor. If you want to spend that much on a legendry edtion, so snipers have an easier time, fine by me. But If I have a copy of Halo on the Xbox, and I'm being told to piss off, whilst some PC gamer who picked it up cheap in a bargin bin, and has no intention of getting reach, is given a gift for his "loyalty", then bungie are morons.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
I do understand why it is only for the PC version, because of the whole thing with the CD key and no way to determine if people actually owned it on Xbox or not. But you'd think with LIVE they would have some way to check or something where your account knows you have the game? I've only used GFWL, so I don't know about LIVE, but on GFWL it does know what GFWL games I do have (installed or not).
Well yes, I can see why they are doing it. But my achivements list displays the games I have played on the 360, even the original games show up despite not having any achievemts attached to it. I have save files in my profile for Halo 1 and 2. Could the game not be programed to detect these? I mean even the PS1 could detect which games you had played (Metal Gear Solid) and the PS2 could read the memory card to give you little extra pieces of info (Silent Hill 3 detecting Silent Hill 2 saves). Obviously I'm no programmer so I don't know how it would work, but surely it isn't impossible?

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
I still have the game, but I lost the box and the CD key so I guess I'm out of luck lol

EDIT: Actually, I have the box, the manual, and the game, just not the CD Key. My luck huh lol