"Pa. House Democrats say keeping GOP colleague’s exposure to COVID-19 private is ‘unacceptable’"

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
So, what do you make of this?

House Democratic Leader Frank Dermody said he and other House members were shocked to learn that Republican Rep. Andrew Lewis found out he tested positive for COVID-19 on May 20 and they only learned about it on Wednesday.

Lewis, 33, said he has completed his 14-day self-isolation dating to the time when the Dauphin County Republican believes he may have been exposed. He said he is now fully recovered from the mild flu-like symptoms he experienced from the coronavirus.

“While we are pleased to learn that this House member seems to have recovered, it is simply unacceptable that some House Republicans knew about this for more than a week and sat on that knowledge,” said Dermody of Allegheny County.

He said more than a week ago, with several other colleagues self-quarantining this week, no notice was provided to the people working closely with them at the Capitol.

“Knowing how House members and staff work closely together at the Capitol, we should have been made aware of this much sooner. We should not have learned of it from a media report,” Dermody said.

Two of those self-quarantining are Reps. Russ Diamond and Frank Ryan, both Lebanon County Republicans who regularly have attended House sessions in person rather than voting by proxy as temporary House rules permit.

Both lawmakers’ 14-day quarantines will end on Thursday. Neither Diamond nor Ryan said they experienced symptoms. They both used the same words to describe how they were feeling: “I feel like a million bucks.”

Dermody said in the last two weeks, House members held six voting session days and more than 15 committee meetings.

“For those members who journeyed to the Capitol in person, each of these meetings raises the risk of possible exposure,” he said.
I'm trying to make sense of this here. This seems... There's a lot of potential of being really bad here. There could also be potential for being nothing.

CDC guidelines are thus:

To ensure continuity of operations of essential functions, CDC advises that critical infrastructure workers may be permitted to continue work following potential exposure to COVID-19, provided they remain asymptomatic and additional precautions are implemented to protect them and the community.

A potential exposure means being a household contact or having close contact within 6 feet of an individual with confirmed or suspected COVID-19. The timeframe for having contact with an individual includes the period of time of 48 hours before the individual became symptomatic.
I don't know where I fall on this. My instinct is to be instantly enraged by this, but I'm hearing a lot of corporate speak and politician roundabout from the Republican side of things. If it comes out that Lewis did indeed came close enough to expose Democrats, and deliberately CHOSE not to say anything? That would be beyond the pale. But how would anyone be able to prove that without a signed confession?

All and all, this is just another time where we have to have people take this seriously and wear their masks.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
House Democratic Leader Frank Dermody said he and other House members were shocked to learn that Republican Rep. Andrew Lewis found out he tested positive for COVID-19 on May 20 and they only learned about it on Wednesday.
Lewis, 33, said he has completed his 14-day self-isolation dating to the time when the Dauphin County Republican believes he may have been exposed. He said he is now fully recovered from the mild flu-like symptoms he experienced from the coronavirus.
It sounds to me as if he went into self-isolation after a possible exposure, and was only found positive about halfway through that isolation, and has been cleared of symptoms at the end of it. In other words, he went into quarantine when he thought he might have been exposed, and hasn't been going around coughing around the capital.

It would have been nice to inform everybody in the building, but doesn't seem like it's possible to have done any harm, and the Representative says that the people he did work closely with were informed after his positive results. Kinda feel like it's the Democrats picking a fight for the sake of it.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
It sounds to me as if he went into self-isolation after a possible exposure, and was only found positive about halfway through that isolation, and has been cleared of symptoms at the end of it. In other words, he went into quarantine when he thought he might have been exposed, and hasn't been going around coughing around the capital.

It would have been nice to inform everybody in the building, but doesn't seem like it's possible to have done any harm, and the Representative says that the people he did work closely with were informed after his positive results. Kinda feel like it's the Democrats picking a fight for the sake of it.
And I'm completely getting vibes about that. But there's more in the article., as Rep Leanne Krueger recounts

Some of our colleagues sat in close proximity to this member during Committee meetings. The Republican contact tracing program ignored them.
(forgive me, I don't know how to embed everything in the new forums)

Now, if that is true, yeah, there was a huge hole here. One that needs to be addressed.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I think it should be ruled that it can be disclosed to the house but for all representatives however the info should be internal only.

Sure it will possibly leak but it will help contact tracing but it should be members / senior staff eyes only because then neither side can play it up by trying to score political points accusing one another of spreading it etc. The world doesn't need that level of petty squabbling at present.

See if people he worked closely have been informed I see no major issue especially after he self quarantined etc. I was under the assumption they hadn't passed that bit of info on or something.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
See if people he worked closely have been informed I see no major issue especially after he self quarantined etc. I was under the assumption they hadn't passed that bit of info on or something.
As far as I am aware, that information was withheld. From everyone, the Democrats, other Republicans, staffers. Whether to save face or some other reason, they just sat on the info and rolled the dice.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
As far as I am aware, that information was withheld. From everyone, the Democrats, other Republicans, staffers. Whether to save face or some other reason, they just sat on the info and rolled the dice.
Well it was posted further up that the republican contact tracing did inform people he'd worked with. Though it's claimed by some it missed some people so it's up in the air how much was said to who.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
And I'm completely getting vibes about that. But there's more in the article., as Rep Leanne Krueger recounts

(forgive me, I don't know how to embed everything in the new forums)

Now, if that is true, yeah, there was a huge hole here. One that needs to be addressed.
I recall from my skimming of the article that there wasn't a mention of the timing of his sitting with other legislators compared to his exposure and isolation. It was said that on his last day, he interacted with few people, all of whom were notified. If he was sitting by legislators just a day before, fairly iffy. If it was a week before, a shrug. If it was before his potential exposure, not really relevant and just kicking around partisan dirt.

It's honestly not a very good article, it doesn't establish a clear timeline of things and is prone to being misunderstood. I'd suggest find a better one.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I recall from my skimming of the article that there wasn't a mention of the timing of his sitting with other legislators compared to his exposure and isolation. It was said that on his last day, he interacted with few people, all of whom were notified. If he was sitting by legislators just a day before, fairly iffy. If it was a week before, a shrug. If it was before his potential exposure, not really relevant and just kicking around partisan dirt.

It's honestly not a very good article, it doesn't establish a clear timeline of things and is prone to being misunderstood. I'd suggest find a better one.
Many had a slant already. I chose the one that didn't declare over reaction of the democrats or the villainous machinations of the Republicans.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I'm from there!

The actual story? The Republicans followed state and federal guidance to a T. Anyone in contact with him recently prior to symptoms was notified, and the closest contact quarantined without a positive test to be safe. That they hadn't been up close with Democrats in exactly that time period and therefore they weren't told could be seen in the sense of malicious compliance, it was discourteous to not say.

But they probably didn't want to say since this is the result. One politician had an intensely profanity laden rant up online about how the republicans should be in jail, that their gerrymandered state (supreme court of pa redrew the map last cycle to neutralize it) let's these horrible people put them at risk (remote voting is an option during the pandemic), and that Republicans keeping active would put children at risk! (No evidence of that.)

It's one of those situations where you'd be confident Republicans had a misstep if Democrats weren't hamming it up so much. The guy yelling about the building needing to be disinfected and quarantined, I just want to yell what sort of entitled prick thinks it's good politics to curse people out and have a public freakout over one sick coworker. How unreasonably insensitive to those who aren't in cushy government buildings. And what a horrid example for others.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I'm from there!

The actual story? The Republicans followed state and federal guidance to a T. Anyone in contact with him recently prior to symptoms was notified, and the closest contact quarantined without a positive test to be safe. That they hadn't been up close with Democrats in exactly that time period and therefore they weren't told could be seen in the sense of malicious compliance, it was discourteous to not say.

But they probably didn't want to say since this is the result. One politician had an intensely profanity laden rant up online about how the republicans should be in jail, that their gerrymandered state (supreme court of pa redrew the map last cycle to neutralize it) let's these horrible people put them at risk (remote voting is an option during the pandemic), and that Republicans keeping active would put children at risk! (No evidence of that.)

It's one of those situations where you'd be confident Republicans had a misstep if Democrats weren't hamming it up so much. The guy yelling about the building needing to be disinfected and quarantined, I just want to yell what sort of entitled prick thinks it's good politics to curse people out and have a public freakout over one sick coworker. How unreasonably insensitive to those who aren't in cushy government buildings. And what a horrid example for others.
A few things, first, people are still contagious before they start to show symptoms, also, in indoor environments, the virus can be spread just by talking and much farther than within the 6ft recommenced distancing space. It can circulate in the air for hours, just from talking. Anything he touched such as documents, doorknobs, hand rails, chairs, restroom, elevator ect would necessarily need to be sanitized as it can survive on surfaces for days. He could have interacted with people along the way to and from his destinations as well.

Now, of course I cannot speak for the veracity of the claims that they interacted with the official, however, everyone in the building should have been informed of a positive case, not just a select group pf friends, as he could have forgotten or overlooked someone along the way. For example, when Adobe had a single case of COVID-19, they had everyone who worked there, regardless of if they worked on the floor or not notified and told them to self quarantine. They disinfected the entire building while they had employees self quarantined as that was the responsible thing to do. Even if one person develops severe illness by contracting this, it is one too many that could have been prevented by these simple measures.

Not knowing who has prexisting conditions or family members who do, knowing about asymptomatic spread, and knowing how easily this can be spread indoors, there really is no excuse for not taking precautions to protect others in the building.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I think it should be ruled that it can be disclosed to the house but for all representatives however the info should be internal only.

Sure it will possibly leak but it will help contact tracing but it should be members / senior staff eyes only because then neither side can play it up by trying to score political points accusing one another of spreading it etc. The world doesn't need that level of petty squabbling at present.

Why would it be internal only? What about him possibly exposing people along his way to his destinations? People he forgot about having contact with? That is the reason why the responsible action to take is that which Adobe and other businesses have taken to notify everyone they had a staff member that tested positive and that they closed the building to have it thoroughly disinfected and asked all their staff to self quarantine, even if they did not work on the same floor as the person who tested positive to ensure the safety of everyone. They even notify the public, as you have everyone from local venders that deliver to the building, drivers, people and places they stop at along the way in between their destinations. People need to be aware so they can determine for themselves if they need to take precautions as well. Everyone from the person he picks up coffee from to the doorman need to be considered here. It is always the people they don't think about that can be the one's who are overlooked.

"Later the following week, I found out that Mr. F, one of the doormen in my old building, a hospital-owned apartment building filled with young physicians, had died from the coronavirus. My feelings of pride suddenly turned to guilt. Had we done this to him? As unwitting vectors of this virus, moving to and from the hospital, perhaps we had exposed him. If not for us, I could not help but think, he would still be alive. "

It is better to be safe than sorry. Notifying people is the least someone can do.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I mean, it does sum up the precise ideological mindset fueling this brand of hyper conservatism; hide anything regardless of the health and safety of others, prioritise pride, money and power over everything else. Also rather curious about the shared tendency to refer to feeling great as "a million bucks." Well, not curious, just tired at these open books.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Why would it be internal only? What about him possibly exposing people along his way to his destinations? People he forgot about having contact with? That is the reason why the responsible action to take is that which Adobe and other businesses have taken to notify everyone they had a staff member that tested positive and that they closed the building to have it thoroughly disinfected and asked all their staff to self quarantine, even if they did not work on the same floor as the person who tested positive to ensure the safety of everyone. They even notify the public, as you have everyone from local venders that deliver to the building, drivers, people and places they stop at along the way in between their destinations. People need to be aware so they can determine for themselves if they need to take precautions as well. Everyone from the person he picks up coffee from to the doorman need to be considered here. It is always the people they don't think about that can be the one's who are overlooked.

"Later the following week, I found out that Mr. F, one of the doormen in my old building, a hospital-owned apartment building filled with young physicians, had died from the coronavirus. My feelings of pride suddenly turned to guilt. Had we done this to him? As unwitting vectors of this virus, moving to and from the hospital, perhaps we had exposed him. If not for us, I could not help but think, he would still be alive. "

It is better to be safe than sorry. Notifying people is the least someone can do.
I'm sure the senators driver / drivers would be made aware.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I'm sure the senators driver / drivers would be made aware.
That simply is not enough to claim responsible action was taken. What about the doorman, cleaners, janitors, deli workers ect? What about the people he interacts with or interacts with objects he has touched in the community? Like the articles point out above, even their dry cleaners and doormen are at risk here. There is no reason Adobe should behave appropriately while our officials do not. These peoples lives are just as important as his is.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I'm from there!

But the issue is just uncertainty, isn't it? Bar the malicious aspect of it. Put it to bed. Let's just talk about the human aspect to it.

I went to visit my dad at his facility yesterday. We have to talk through windows, and it was hot and muggy yesterday. It was hard to breath, so I found myself reaching to pull down my mask. I know I said several sentences to him with my mask down and he took off his own. When I looked down and saw his mask, I immediately thought of my own and pulled it up.

I already know there's cases of Covid in his facility. But if he catches it, I'm forever going to wonder if I gave it to him.

You don't know when you slipped up. You don't know when your mind wandered while you were busy with work and what you touched, when. Hell, if I tasked you to think about all the surfaces you touched in your household yesterday, you might get... 80 percent? 90?

Ok, now let's talk about the 15th. Could you recreate your day without a shadow of a doubt? the 14th? the 13th? Moving off of you, can he even understand where HE picked it up? Could he piece together any number of incidents he had during the 2-5 days prior that caused him to contract the virus? He can't. And that's why he owed it to everyone who enters that building to announce it. Not to who he thinks he has the most regular contact, because it's almost assured he picked it up from someone that he had minor contact with.

That is negligent, I believe.