Pac-Man Was Made for Women

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
BonsaiK said:
The first all-inclusive female friendly games came much later.
I will be honest I've been gaming since I was a child and I've never a met a game designed 'for men' specifically or the other way around for that matter, it's all a matter of taste, really.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Spaceman_Spiff said:
Does that mean Mrs Pac Man was made for men? Rule 34 anyone?!
I think rule 63 is if it exists there is a female version of it.

Beefcakes

Pants Lord of Vodka
Aug 11, 2008
Hmm, a sexism joke would be too easy, and probably be in bad taste...
But its an interesting thought, imagine if it had been successful and appealed to females
And females became the majority of gamers, and males were outnumbered...
Crazy crazy world

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
HK_01 said:
Disney movies not violent? What was he smoking when he said that?
^

Plus how is Pac man not violent? Don't you either eat the ghosts or get killed?

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
There was usually one girl for every two guys in video arcades, sometimes more sometimes less, and it wasn't a terrible place to meet people and socialize. A lot better than the couch in your living room. If you were good, you could strike up conversations that way. I seem to remember a lot of women liking Frogger, Tron, and Tempest.

Gaming was good then.

Pokenator

May 5, 2010
BonsaiK said:
Pokenator said:
BonsaiK said:
Well, they were obviously wrong, although it's good to know their heart was in the right place. I'm old enough to remember when PacMan came out and I didn't see lots of women jumping on board at that time. Navigating a Pac-Man maze isn't too different to navigating a street directory, something many (but not all) women are notoriously bad at due to the common differences in cerebral cortex function between the sexes. The first all-inclusive female friendly games came much later.
LOL!!!
Sexist much? Sure if you take a world average men are a bit better at spacial navigation and women are a bit better at literature, but "Navigating a Pac-Man maze isn't too different to navigating a street directory, something many (but not all) women are notoriously bad" is ridiculous. The difference is navigating through space, say from the inside of a maze, not reading maps.
Sexist? Maybe, I don't know, I think it's nature that's sexist, or maybe the sexism in the society that then shapes nature. Men's and women's brains do work differently on this level, this much has been proven. Whether this is due to genetic/hereditary factors or social conditioning is a question that's not been fully answered yet by science, but the fact is - women overall aren't so crash hot at reading maps and they're also not that great at Pac-Man. Are there exceptions? Hell yes, you bet there are. But taken as a broad consensus you'll find that most of the better Pac-Man players are male, as are most people who read maps for a living. Both activities require the ability of the brain to process certain types of spatial information, so it's not unreasonable to assume that some sort of correlation might exist. I'm not saying that women are less intelligent or anything like that, just that the brains of the sexes think differently.

Further reading: http://www.despardes.com/lifestyle/jan05/map-reading-0128.htm
I'm not denying any difference in the hardwiring of the brains of the sexes in this scenario, all I'm saying is the difference isn't as large as you make it out to be with your language. Less pro female pacman players has nothing to do with sex differences, it has to do with sample size, the same reason why small countries often have less top Olympians, not because that country is bad at sport, but because they have a much smaller pool to choose from, I can guarantee there would be many many many times more hardcore pacman playing males than females, not because of inherent gaming (pacman gaming lol) abilities, but just because women as a whole never actually got into it. Not to say they didn't at all, my friend's mother for example had all the high scores at her local arcade when she was at college. Though she would have been an exception for the time.

"some sort of correlation might exist"

101 Statistics, correlation does not imply causation.

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
Billion Backs said:
I want to make some kind of an overeating joke... But my heart just isn't into it right now.

Someone else should do it.

I'll even provide a few ideas... Running away from "monsters" by eating stuff non-stop. Sounds exactly like compulsive overeating of some sort o_O

Okay, now I'm confused. All nighters don't work well.
You could just play into ED's definition of a troll and accuse the creator of being a sexist, chauvinist, pig saying that women run away from their problems while eating.

Note, I do not advocate this actual stance, but damned if I didn't think of it when the page was loading.