Pachter: Dragon Age III Pushed Back Due To The Old Republic

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
StriderShinryu said:
Not quite sure I agree with many of the responses so far. I don't believe that DA2 was really bad at all for one, but I also don't see how a total delay is going to suddenly mean great things for DA3. DA2 was rushed through it's actual production. If the conjecture in the article is true, DA3 is basically just being delayed during what amounts to pre-production. I hope it's not the case, but it may still be rushed through actual production. In fact, if EA didn't learn it's lesson from the DA2 backlash, I could see this being the more likely case. They have a major property that's being delayed for work on another game, said other game does well but doesn't set the world on fire, production gets rushed on the major property in attempt to make up for both the delay and the perceived shortcomings in the other title.
Basically this. The article is suggesting it has been delayed because the team was working on Old Republic. This does not mean that it has simply been pushed back, like a lot of games have. The implication here is that it has been put on hold, and frankly, if it were slated for a March 2013 release, then it'd still have the same development cycle as 2, and look how well that turned out.

As much as I would like to see another Dragon Age game (I'm one of the few who didn't hate DA2, though in comparison to Origins it is unbelievably weak), I want to see a good Dragon Age game. It took me a while, but I decided I did like the Art Style of the second game. The first game was gritty and dirty, which suited the setting and the story, while the second game's 'story' was much different, and the art style sorta suited it. I would like to see the third one be a bit less clean - though I cant see it happening, since its going to be set mainly in Orlais - and I want the story to be deep, and rich, with a bunch of complex interesting characters who I can have full interaction with. I also want these characters to feel like real people, and not just arch stereotypes who want to instantly jump your bones as soon as you flutter your eye lashes at them. It takes the fun out of pursuing relationships when its that easy. Christ, I remember the amount of time and effort I had to put into getting Leliana in the sack, and it was satisfying. Saying 'My, aren't you a handsome wizard' upon first meeting a person being the only thing you need to do to get that person to fall madly in love with you is not satisfying. Unless its in real life, but that chat up technique hasn't worked for me so far.

So yes Bioware, when the game gets back on track, put as much time as you need into it. I know that means its unlikely to come out before the next gen consoles, but if it means having a group of complex companions who you have to make an effort to try and keep happy while you make your way to Tevinter (We all want it, don't ignore us this time!) then I am happy to wait.

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
What a different world it would be, had they just made a true blue not mmo kotor 3, and took their time with dragon age 2....... Maybe we'd be enjoying those games right now instead of waiting on more content to be released for TOR or an ending fix to ME3.... /dream sequence.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
CrossLOPER said:
Quiet Stranger said:
DVS BSTrD said:
No, DA2 pushed back DA3
Either that or their busy rewriting the ending to make it "safer" and editing out the dragon child.
Dragon Child?

I really loved DA:O and I suppose DA 2 was okay but I didn't feel it was worth a second playthrough, so I sold it.

I miss the days of old when they made Jade Empire and KOTOR 1
He's referring to the Star Child scandal from Mass Effect 3.

And now I'm going to ask, Star Child?

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Reassigning DA3 people to work on Old Republic. Great, so DA3 will be another lazy asset and location reuse-fest. DAO: Explore the world! DA2: Explore a single city! DA3: It's a locked room mystery murder!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I didn't even know Dragon Age III had a release window yet, so this doesn't bother me at all. Now, if the game had a release window and then got pushed back, I'd be sad. If the release window was this year and then got pushed back into next year, I'd be very upset. I'm looking at you, BioShock Infinite...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Why do people think Pachter is an analyst? Everything he says is either plain fuckin' wrong or just obvious. He's dumber than a box of rocks.

I see the mandatory gametrailers video has been posted. Good.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
endtherapture said:
I waited 5+ years for DA:O. It was a masterpiece.

I waited 2 years for DA2. It was shit.

Push the game back all you want Bioware.
This.... so much of this... I don't mind to wait 5 years more, if in the end Dragon Age 3 turns out to be good. Filling the shoes of :Origins and improving awesome with epic kind of good...

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
NNOooo. Kotor does not need anymore stupid add on shit. Let the oniline players kill each other and organise there own shit. But give Dragon age another go, DA2 was ok if a bit spammed it just needs improving on.
Hopefully this delay will be used to improve the 'final product'*, it is unlikely I know but we can hope right?

I love Kung Fu Panda the sequel was way better.
*Biotroll will be hammering us with Dlc so hardly anyone will own a complete copy.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Blind Sight said:
satsugaikaze said:
Uh, Command and Conquer: Generals 2, anyone?

Another 2013 Bioware title. Probably a much more likely candidate given it's not a Bioware mainstay series.
The main Bioware studio isn't actually developing it, EA just renamed a development studio 'Bioware Victory' and got them working on it. It's just brand recognition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioWare_Victory

Oh God, you're right.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Rocklobster99 said:
>Patcher

You know what time it is.

I have never heard of this man before I saw this video.

I have never laughed so damn hard at another human being until I saw this video.

Thank you sir, for sharing this video.

captcha: underpants, indeed... they were wet.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
CrossLOPER said:
Quiet Stranger said:
DVS BSTrD said:
No, DA2 pushed back DA3
Either that or their busy rewriting the ending to make it "safer" and editing out the dragon child.
Dragon Child?

I really loved DA:O and I suppose DA 2 was okay but I didn't feel it was worth a second playthrough, so I sold it.

I miss the days of old when they made Jade Empire and KOTOR 1
He's referring to the Star Child scandal from Mass Effect 3.

And now I'm going to ask, Star Child?
I don't think this has anything to do with the ME3 Star Child. I'm pretty sure the reference is to Morrigan's potential child. It's not so much a dragon child as the child of an elder god.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
People still care about Dragon Age 3? Did I miss something? I thought this stopped being relevant after Bioware shit the bed.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
endtherapture said:
I waited 5+ years for DA:O. It was a masterpiece.

I waited 2 years for DA2. It was shit.

Push the game back all you want Bioware.
DAMN STRAIGHT!

Seriously, they could've held off on ME3 for another year or so too, as far as I am concerned.